Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw Gustafsson vs Jones earlier today, it was an incredible match from start to finish.

Gus did incredibly well despite losing by decision, he dominated the first 3 rounds. In the forth round they were on an equal footing until he ate that spinning back elbow from Jones, that really clocked him. Goddamn, Jones' elbow strikes are so vicious and brutal.

Both fighters did well, however I was more impressed by how well Gustafsson handled himself throughout that fight. It was impressive how he kept avoiding those takedowns from Jones. I will look forward for rematch between those two.
    Nah. Gustafsson won rounds 1,3 for sure. Jones hit with way cleaner strikes in round 2, and they did more damage. I agree with you on round 4, though. He dominated that round until he ate that nasty elbow. I laughed my ass off when he withstood almost all of Jones' takedowns and then he took him down once In any case they definitely need a rematch. Gustafsson's performance was outstanding. He's a great guy too. I've met him through my coach a few times.

Jones really needs to learn how to use his damn hands. He almost threw more elbows, and certainly more kicks than punches.

How good do you think Rory Macdonald is? His only loss came to the Hands of Carlos Condit at UFC 115. He got criticised by Dana White by his performance against Jake Ellenberger as lackluster even though he got the victory.
    http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Rory-MacDonald-14018

A friend of mine went to the event live, place went nuts right before round 5.

Quote Originally Posted by FatKidsAreHardToKidnap View Post
    How good do you think Rory Macdonald is? His only loss came to the Hands of Carlos Condit at UFC 115. He got criticised by Dana White by his performance against Jake Ellenberger as lackluster even though he got the victory.
    http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Rory-MacDonald-14018
    He has great hands and a solid overall game. He could work himself to title contendership one day. Don't ever see him become a champ though.

I thought the Maia-Shield event would be boring as shit but it actually was quite action packed.

UFC 166 predictions
    Cain vesqualez vs Junior Dos Santos III - JDS - r3 - TKO
    Daniel Cormier vs Roy Nelson - Cormier - r3 - decision
    Gilbert Melendez vs Diego Sanchez - Melendez - r3 - decision
    John Dodson vs Darell Montague Dodson -r2 - KO
    Gabriel Conzaga vs Shawn Jordan Jordan -r1 - TKO

Ah, Cain vs JDS. What a great fight. I'm a hundred percent sure that Cain will set a pace that JDS can't keep up with. I'm also sure that Cain is taking most of the rounds of the fight. But Cain can't crack JDS's chin, and JDS has 5 rounds to land something vicious. I'm not quick to buy excuses from fighters, but JDS didn't have a lot going for him into the second fight. The divorce with his wife, he's provided medical proof he was over-trained, and you could just see he wasn't fighting with his usual crisp.

JDS has been changing up a lot in his camp. What are the chances that JDS is eating a huge shot in the first round, and will be unable to catch his wind for the remaining rounds again? JDS is going to bring a more competitive version of himself in this fight. By how much remains to be seen.

With Comier-Nelson I'd love to see a first round finish from Nelson, But the odds just seem stacked against him.

Gilbert should be able to 1up Sanchez without to much trouble. Sanchez might be good enough to make it a really fun fight in the process though.

Dodson should get the KO here if he wants to climb up the ladder.

Conzaga vs Jordan. I believe it is striker vs Grappler, and I went with the striker.
    Last edited by Doc Q; 10-15-2013 at 02:06 PM.

What do you think about the whole Toquinho thing ? The guy seems genuine but the UFC did the right thing. But again, they should just have cut him rather than banning. That would serve as a wake up call and then provide him the opportunity of fighting back into the promotion.

UFC 166 predictions
    Cain vesqualez vs Junior Dos Santos III - Cain - 5th - Decision
    Daniel Cormier vs Roy Nelson - Cormier - r3 - decision
    Gilbert Melendez vs Diego Sanchez - Melendez - r3 - decision
    John Dodson vs Darell Montague Dodson -r2 - KO
    Gabriel Conzaga vs Shawn Jordan - Gonzaga -r1 - TKO

Cain is gonna decimate him. I don't buy that much into JDS' excuses despite how much I like him. Even at his best Cain is still gonna run through him. Velasquez has come to stay for a loong time.

Fight of the fatties Nelson's granite chin is not gonna save him, though. Interesting fight none the less

Gilbert is way superior. The Nightmare only has his cardio and tenacity going for him. Gilbert is gonna out-box him over all three rounds..

Dodson. Dont know about the other dude

Just a feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless Steel View Post
    What do you think about the whole Toquinho thing ? The guy seems genuine but the UFC did the right thing. But again, they should just have cut him rather than banning. That would serve as a wake up call and then provide him the opportunity of fighting back into the promotion.

The first thing that came to my mind was that the reaction was a little excessive. UFC doesn't wants their origination to be associated with bloodsport, so they have to react strongly on these incidents. I agree, I would've gone with a cut over a ban.

Phalhares has a history with holding submission to long. Hell, his manager released a statement basically saying Phalhares is a fucking idiot who frequently does this, even in training. Taking that in regard, it seems fair not to put fighter's careers in danger in the cage against Phalhares. But this isolated incident itself really wasn't that bad. We're talking about 2 seconds here, while the ref wasn't as direct as he could've been.

I'd say cut him, see if his behavior improves in at the smaller organizations. If he works up a winstreak without any incidents, take him back.

Watched some of his fights outside of UFC He's doing it all the time. I kinda get why they permanently cut him. I hope he learns from this mistakes. I feel bad for the guys he fought against

Wow, the majority of people are really convinced that Cain is winning this fight. As if Cain is taking on Roy Nelson.

JDS is only similar to Nelson in the fact that he has knockout power and a great chin. JDS is an athletic guy, with good striking technique, overall strength, decent cardio and solid TDD. He has a lot more going for him than a punchers chance.

This will be Cain's toughest fight to date. People quickly dismiss the first fight and use the second fight as comparison material. Am I the only one who saw that Cain rocked JDS so hard in the first round with that overhand right that he was able to control the fight? Rocking JDS and putting on a relentless pace so he couldn't recuperate is a testament to Cain's skill. Just like, you know knocking Cain to the floor with a single punch in the first fight is a testament to JDS'.

A lot of people claim that the 'flukey' first round KO was less of a statement than the 5 round demolishing. I disagree with that. To me the first two fights gave awnser to two what if questions:

Fight 1: What if JDS connects flush in the first round? >JDS will GNP Cain to the TKO
    Fight 2: What if Cain connects flush in the first round? >Cain can't put JDS away, so he uses the momentum from the big hit to win round after round. JDS still manages to put up resistance and gain small windows of opportunity.

Out of these two questions, JDS's answer is definitely the better. The third fight however, will possibly (more like probably) bring a new scenario where the fighters don't land anything big until after the first round. It's highly likely that JDS will put up a better fight than the second, and Cain will not get knocked out in the first. Can't wait for this fight tonight.

166 was a great card. Diego showed his warrior spirit, Cormier settled the obvious, Dodson destroyed. Solid prelims.

Cain proved that a 100% JDS can't deal with his pace. I have to add that JDS would've fared better with.. Something else than the most retarded gameplan ever. (BACK UP AGAINST THE CAGE) But Cain's pressure was nevertheless way to much. I disagree with the statement this was a mirror image of the second fight though, JDS was game, Cain is just way better.

Seems like I hit the nail on the head this time around too How's the score so far, Doc ?

Man, I loved this event.

JDS vs Cain wen't just as I anticipated. I honestly don't see Cain losing for a looong time. He's the best champ heavyweight the UFC has ever produced.

Cormier vs Roy was pretty boring. Cormier dominated as was predicted. I can't wait for him to go down a weight class. Man, I also realized how fat Nelson really is. He almost made Daniel look think

Melendez vs Sanchez. Man I love Diego. While not particularly "skilled" his will and toughness commands respect. But I knew he wouldn't win. I cheered for him though, when he knocked Melendez down.

Lombard looked more crisp than I've ever seen him. I think he's gonna do better in WW. Glad that UFC told him to move down

Doc Q 3 + 8 = 11
    Steel 6 + 12 = 18

The worst part was the Conzaga win. I remembered your pick and I was like: you gotta be shitting me.

Nelson is waaayy fat. He's not fat for a professional fighter, he's seriously fat. Cormier has a LHW frame, Nelson has a big MW frame. I used to think that Nelson would be better if he slimmed down, but I'm not so sure anymore. LHW is way to talent stacked. Any top 20 LHW can defeat him if they forget about cracking his chin and just outpoint Big Country.

With another loss he has no choice in the matter though. It'll be move down or be cut. Yeah, Lombard can be such a freak of nature. He's huge at WW. He has a good shot at becoming a top 10 guy.

Machida is game at middleweight. Mark Munoz is a big win, he should be top 10 already now.

Ross Pearson is going to lose the rematch. Guillard kicked his ass regardless of the foul. Guillard knows it. Pearson knows it to, even though it's probably under a thick layer of denial.

I'm really excited about Luke Barnatt. Some goofyness during the match aside, he really preformed outstanding against a mid tier middleweight. Hope he gets some serious competition next.

I didn't have the opportunity to watch the event. Gonna look for it online. Maybe it's time to start using torrents. My teammates have been urging me to do so

mmaversus.com is a great streaming site. Sorry if I spoiled you there, hah.

Did you watch Chandler vs Alvarez 2 ? Great fight but I don't agree with the decision. Chandler won 3-2 IMO. That last sweep edged it out( even without I would still say he won) But I'm kinda ambivalent. I feel Alvaraz deserved it because of all the shit he's been through even though Chandler clearly won.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the site btw

I had it for Chandler also. I think Alvarez took this one on style as far as the judging is concerned. He moved smooth and technical the entire time, while Chandler is a little more stiff. Chandler also seemed gassed the third, and was missing some huge swings in the earlier rounds. Aesthetics matter when you go the distance.

Chandler's submission attempts, vicious GnP in the 4th, and landed power strikes and takedowns throughout that fight give him the notch imo. But I don't consider this a robbery.
    Last edited by Doc Q; 11-04-2013 at 07:13 PM.

It was a close fight but as you pointed out- Chandlers constant takedowns and the viciousness of the 4th round should have won him this. 3rd was obviously his weakest round. Like you said, he was gassed out. That was also the round where Alvarez hit him the most with counters and combos. I guess they put much emphasis on that round and the 5th.

Man, Alvarez's boxing is amazing. Especially his counters

I just read this article that Silva said he wants 1 billion dollars to fight Jon 'Bones' Jones? Not sure if theres any truth to this because i don't follow UFC that closely, but i know there's been rumors and speculations about these super fights in the past.

So are these rumors about super fights in the UFC still floating around? Silva/Bones/GSP

Enter Anderson Silva's odd sense of humor.

The most likely 'superfight' around is Pettis/Aldo. Cain/JBJ is next in line. Silva vs Jones makes little sense atm. Silva has lost a lot of his godlike status with his loss to Weidman. Jones looks more beatable than ever right now also. The weight is also an issue. Silva is an average sized MW, Jones is a huge LHW. Where are they supposed to meet? Jones can't possibly reach a catch-weight without losing a significant amount of muscle mass.

Cain vs Jones is more likely because Jones reaching HW is certainly in the realm of possibility.
    Last edited by Doc Q; 11-05-2013 at 10:51 AM.