Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Official UFC/MMA thread

So we've recently seen UFC 158.

I thought Big Rig vs Condit was hella entertaining. The thing that stood out the most to me of that fight was how effective Condit was from his back. Hendricks needs to work on a more active top game.

I didn't even watched the full Diaz-GSP fight. Everyone and their grandmothers could have predicted the way that fight would go down.

Note: Any TUF discussion is also welcome in this thread.
    Last edited by Doc Q; 03-20-2013 at 07:46 PM.

I havent watched mma in so long x.x

Valyrian Steel
    I wasn't that impressed by Hendricks' wrestling either, but it was a fucking good fight. It's funny that he thinks he can outwrestle GSP. I'm not counting him out, but it's fucking GSP. Hendricks even had problems with Koscheck, who GSP outwrestled TWO times. It annoys me that Rory got injured. I would've loved to see him repeat his beat down on Condit and actually finish it.

I would say Hendricks needs a reality check, but I can't blame him for convincing himself he has better wrestling. It's one of his main attributes. I'd say Hendricks has the best punchers chance against GSP since... I can't even remember. Ever, maybe? He has the power and the guts to pull it off.

On another note: How great was it to see Silva win in such a crazy fight in Japan? I smiled a whole hour after seeing that.

I want to talk future UFC, but I'm not that excited to see the upcoming UFC on Fuel event.

Valyrian Steel
    Thoughts on recent event(s) ? Fox 8 was pretty boring. Ellenberger vs McDonald didn't deliver but it was a blast to see Mighty Mouse fight as usual. If only he could pack a punch. I love the dudes versatility

Funny how Silva being knocked the fuck out didn't even spark some discussion here. But yeah, Ellenberger-Macdonald was boring. Even skipped trough some bits.

MM is one of my favs actually. He was really dominant with his wrestling versus Moraga. Aside from that one (quite beautiful) slug from Moraga, it wasn't even competitive.

Somehow I'm also really happy that Guillard won. I know he'll never amount to anything, but he's to good to be dropped from the roster. Maybe he can get himself a winstreak and become a gatekeeper once again.

Valyrian Steel
    That's just about what he amounts to. I was banned at the time Andy got knocked. He can't keep doing the same shit he used to do a few years back. Too much confidence and taunting.

Prime Anderson Silva > All

Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's just about what he amounts to. I was banned at the time Andy got knocked. He can't keep doing the same shit he used to do a few years back. Too much confidence and taunting.
    It's not even a matter of age in my opinion. Eventually his arrogance would knock him down. Even so, he could claim the title back just fine yet, the man still is at the top.

Valyrian Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimp of Chimps View Post
    Prime Anderson Silva > All
    No. Jones could beat him even at his best and JJ hasn't even hit his own prime yet. Generally Middleweight has been the least talented division in UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by FerreiraDaSilva View Post
    It's not even a matter of age in my opinion. Eventually his arrogance would knock him down. Even so, he could claim the title back just fine yet, the man still is at the top.
    Age has lot to do with it. Andy has always relied on speed/reflexes. As you get older your reflexes and overall speed deteriorates. He doesn't keep his hands up. Instead he relies on feints and counters. It's just like with Roy Jones Jr. His flamboyant and ridiculous speed made him one of the best. Unfortunately for him he neglected the basics and instead solely relied on his speed. It would halt his career later on while guys like Bernard Hopkins could keep on because of a solid foundation. The only difference is that Mixed martial artists typical prime is in the early to mid thirties. With that said I hope he learns from his mistakes till next time.

Aldo landing high kicks on the Korean Zombie's dislocated shoulder was fucking hilarious.

Also, Lyoto didn't lose that match. It wasn't even all that close imo. Lyoto outstriked Phil for 3 rounds. 2 takedowns with a few seconds of ineffective Gnp shouldn't outscore that. Sure, the thought that if the rounds had been longer Phil could've done more is there. But MMA is not about what ifs. What you see is what you get, and Machida won.
    Last edited by Doc Q; 08-05-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Valyrian Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Q View Post
    Aldo landing high kicks on the Korean Zombie's dislocated shoulder was fucking hilarious.

Also, Lyoto didn't lose that match. It wasn't even all that close imo. Lyoto outstriked Phil for 3 rounds. 2 takedowns with a few seconds of ineffective Gnp shouldn't outscore that. Sure, the thought that if the rounds had been longer Phil could've done more is there. But MMA is not about what ifs. What you see is what you get, and Machida won.
    I felt bad for KZ. I was expecting KZ to accomplish what Hominick failed to do

I'm happy Machida "lost". For two reasons. One: it will force him to not play it safe regardless of his style. Two: Davis unexpectedly won me 2 grand

Haha, that's some good betting. Machida is actually pretty effective when he pushes the pace and is more active with his flurries. I'm not sure if his 'elusive style' is doing him any good.

Anyway, WOW that sports1 card was pretty entertaining. Chael P. "The American Ganster" Sonnen winning via guillotine was epic. I always stream vids of the fights the day after the event. (as always, I managed to do it without spoiling myself). I was shocked when I opened the Chael-Shogun vid. The vid only lasted like ~10 minutes. I was utterly convinced that Rua got his hands on Chael after seeing that. After all, what was the last time Chael had a first round finish?

When Chael got in that guillotine I was doing a fucking victory dance. I was ecstatic. Was great stuff.

Valyrian Steel
    Haha, that's some good betting. Machida is actually pretty effective when he pushes the pace and is more active with his flurries. I'm not sure if his 'elusive style' is doing him any good.

Anyway, WOW that sports1 card was pretty entertaining. Chael P. "The American Ganster" Sonnen winning via guillotine was epic. I always stream vids of the fights the day after the event. (as always, I managed to do it without spoiling myself). I was shocked when I opened the Chael-Shogun vid. The vid only lasted like ~10 minutes. I was utterly convinced that Rua got his hands on Chael after seeing that. After all, what was the last time Chael had a first round finish?

When Chael got in that guillotine I was doing a fucking victory dance. I was ecstatic. Was great stuff.
    A pretty good card. A damn shame Lauzon lost. Browne, Chael, Brandao, Brown and Faber all went home
    I didn't expect Sonen to submit Shogun at all and not that fast. Shogun's days of glory are long past.

I was screaming HOLD ON ! when Overeem was bombarding Travis Browne. Great fight.

I usually do the same but I watched the event with my gym mates despite the time difference.

A pretty good card. A damn shame Lauzon lost. Browne, Chael, Brandao, Brown and Faber all went home
    I didn't expect Sonen to submit Shogun at all and not that fast. Shogun's days of glory are long past.

I was screaming HOLD ON ! when Overeem was bombarding Travis Browne. Great fight.

I usually do the same but I watched the event with my gym mates despite the time difference.
    Everyone thought this was an easy fight for Lauzon. A fodder to get the hype going again. Dude got demolished in the standup. I like Lauzon, but he'll never become a top 10 guy.

The Reem was fucking Browne up. You can say a lot of things about Overeem, but his offensive striking is not something to laugh at. Browne did good for surviving that. There are reffs that would've stopped it at that point. Being Dutch and all, I usually would root for the Reem, but it's a good thing he got knocked out again. He doesn't has a chin suited for this division. With his hype totally derailed now, he'll float around in the lower level of the HW division for a while. It'll be a good lesson for him. Who knows, maybe he'll become a top 5 contender one day again.

By the way, what is your stance on Chael? As people usually love him or hate him.

Valyrian Steel
    Everyone thought this was an easy fight for Lauzon. A fodder to get the hype going again. Dude got demolished in the standup. I like Lauzon, but he'll never become a top 10 guy.

The Reem was fucking Browne up. You can say a lot of things about Overeem, but his offensive striking is not something to laugh at. Browne did good for surviving that. There are reffs that would've stopped it at that point. Being Dutch and all, I usually would root for the Reem, but it's a good thing he got knocked out again. He doesn't has a chin suited for this division. With his hype totally derailed now, he'll float around in the lower level of the HW division for a while. It'll be a good lesson for him. Who knows, maybe he'll become a top 5 contender one day again.

By the way, what is your stance on Chael? As people usually love him or hate him.
    True. He is too inconsistent. It's something he and Guillard have in common

Overeem's biggest weakness has always been that glass jaw of his. He is very unfortounate that HW is packed with people that can endure a shit ton of damage while he can't. While people might not like it he needs to attain a more defensive style to rise against the top of the division.

I love him. The guy is a genius Heck I'm about to buy his book

True. He is too inconsistent. It's something he and Guillard have in common

Overeem's biggest weakness has always been that glass jaw of his. He is very unfortounate that HW is packed with people that can endure a shit ton of damage while he can't. While people might not like it he needs to attain a more defensive style to rise against the top of the division.

I love him. The guy is a genius Heck I'm about to buy his book
    Couldn't agree more. The Reem needs a more defensive style, and better Cardio. I've seen the guy work out though, he definitely puts in cardio work. (He's also strong as fuck, like strongman strong.) He just doesn't has the cardiovasculair talent of someone like Cain, and he does walks around with a unnatural muscle mass to feed.

I think Chael is my favorite persona in the business. He can literary play any role he wants to play. And I love 'em all.

Valyrian Steel
    Couldn't agree more. The Reem needs a more defensive style, and better Cardio. I've seen the guy work out though, he definitely puts in cardio work. (He's also strong as fuck, like strongman strong.) He just doesn't has the cardiovasculair talent of someone like Cain, and he does walks around with a unnatural muscle mass to feed.

I think Chael is my favorite persona in the business. He can literary play any role he wants to play. And I love 'em all.
    That unnatural muscle mass That is so true.

His escapades are things of legend. I especially love how he manages to get into the heads of the Brazilians

Have you watched Fight Master ?

The only things I know about it is that it's the TUF of Bellator and that Shamrock and Randy Coutoure are coaches. Would you reccomend watching it?