Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    He should aim for 3 40 minute workout. Generally these will yield superior results compared to 1 2 hour workout session. I know I have always made better gains this way. Your metabolism will also likely be elevated slightly higher. But most of us aren't able to do 3 small workouts in a day so if he can only work in one that will have to do. Just make sure he's doing right.

We should sticky this thread so people can talk about different exercises and work-outs etc.

Gonna try out different types of push-ups on Halaros' advice.

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    So what sort of starting work out advice would you have for a beginner?

I mean, I can run and ride my bike and stuff, but I need to build a little muscle mass to help better regulate my blood sugars.

Building muscle mass? Hit the weights.

On occasion I do. I do upper body training. my lower is fine, due to the amount of activity I do on a daily basis.
    Rest in Peace Dad
    June 15-1950 - October 21, 2015

I mean like what sort of reps and how much should I be doing? Any sort of supplements or shakes I should be thinking about?

@ Makenzye:

Don't even bother with supplements or even diet when starting out. For your first day just go to a gym, try out a few machines (10 reps) to get a feel of your strength and what it's like to hit the gym.

After that day you should start implementing more and more free weight exercises each gym visit. Learn about muscle groups and what exercises effect what groups. Set a goal. Create a training schedule.

Anyone who has had any significant muscle growth in their lives can tell you this: Even though huge factors in your growth, in the end it's not about diet, rest, schedules, supplements or proper form. It's about hard work. You can do everything wrong and still grow stronger if you put in the work. (For anyone starting out, that is)

Everything you do right will accelerate your growth though. But you learn best if you just start in the gym, learn about the do's and don'ts surrounding fitness and applying them as you go. Good luck, work hard!

Also, you might not be interested in reading up all kinds of fitness related knowledge right now, but you definitely will be once you hit the second month of busting your ass in the gym and you've grown considerably stronger.
    Last edited by Doc Q; 01-14-2013 at 06:07 PM.

As a rule of thumb..never take a machine over the free weight counterpart if you want results..

Use the machine the first few times to get a feel of the range of motion but after that you should do it with the free weights.

]

I rarely use a machine, but I've gotten so used to my hand weights that it would feel weird changing over.

Thanks, guys. I just don't want to look like a complete idiot (more so than I do now) when I actually try this.

Just get a feel of every type of exercise, then focus on the ones you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks, guys. I just don't want to look like a complete idiot (more so than I do now) when I actually try this.
    for a starter I would suggest this:
    (this is assuming you work out around 3 times a week)
    1. the first month, use machines like chest press, abdominals, leg extensions, leg curs, leg press etc..basically make sure you hit every muscle in your body so it can get a feel to it.
    2. after the first month switch leg press out with squats and forget the extensions/curls. Bench press instead of chest press..Basically use the weight-version of an exercise instead of using the machines.
    3. EAT LIKE A MAD MAN..srsly..EAT, EAT, EAT if you want to gain mass..perhaps drink some weight gainer shakes (they are like protein shakes but are more focusing on making you gain weight instead of making you shredded).

]

So what sort of starting work out advice would you have for a beginner?

I mean, I can run and ride my bike and stuff, but I need to build a little muscle mass to help better regulate my blood sugars.
    It depends.Do you intend to join a gym,or do you wanna train at home?Be a little bit more specific please.

Anyway,if you join the gym,though I prefer free weights,go for the machines for the first 1-2 months.It'll be easier.There's a simple routine that many gym beginners follow.Try to use weights with which you can do 4 sets of 12 reps,not easily though.Also,if your gym has a pullups bar,which it'll probably have,integrate it in your training shedule,instaed of using a machine for the same muscles.

If you wanna train at home,I can suggest you a lot of useful exercises.

About running.Try jogging in the morning.Do some jogging for around 20-25 minutes.After that,without taking your time to rest do some fast running.For example run a distance of around 50 meters as fast as you can(slower in the beginning and speeding up in the process).Repeat around 7-8 times.That's quite simple and not really hard.

And do something with the bicycle.

I mean like what sort of reps and how much should I be doing? Any sort of supplements or shakes I should be thinking about?
    I dont support taking protein shakes and stuff like that.You can build muscle with constant training and correct nurishment.The most important meal is the breakfast.Try to wake up early and eat a breakfast that will contain a good amount of protein and carbonhydrates among others.Try to eat around 5 meals per day,if thats ok with your workout routine,which will probably be as you are a beginner.

Try to eat a good post training meal,after your workout.You shouldnt wait more than 30 minutes before you eat something after your training and it should contain a lot of carbonhydrates.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    Building muscle mass? Hit the weights.

Its not necessary to hit the weights to build muscle mass.

What exercises do you do now?
    Last edited by Halaros 536; 01-15-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halaros 536 View Post

Its not necessary to hit the weights to build muscle mass.

What exercises do you do now?
    It must help.

Still doing push-ups (switching them up though), crunches and dumbbells.

I pick things up and i put them down
    Because of you

families can get their child the cancer treatment need without worrying about how to pay for it. Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food. They can provide free housing to families, so kids aren't stuck in a hospital room while receiving the best cancer care.

DONATE HERE
    https://shop.stjude.org/GiftCatalog/...4262&pID=24671
    -------------------------
    I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH ST. JUDE CHILDRENS RESEARCH HOSPITAL

I get the feeling I'll have to really confer with a nutritionist for dietary stuff the more I think of it.

But suggest away for home exercises. I think I'm gonna try your running stuff starting this weekend.

Yay, someone stickied the thread!

Also, another tough exercise. Lie flat on your back, but your raise your feet and legs (keep your knees straight) so that the bottom of your feet are six inches off the ground. If you can hold that position for a minute, I'll be impressed.

Yay, someone stickied the thread!

Also, another tough exercise. Lie flat on your back, but your raise your feet and legs (keep your knees straight) so that the bottom of your feet are six inches off the ground. If you can hold that position for a minute, I'll be impressed.
    This really kills your abs.

]

Mind if I change the name of this thread to 'The Official Exercise Thread?'

Anyway, do any of you guys have experience with handstands? I'm in the process of trying to get the handstand down.
    No.​

We should sticky this thread so people can talk about different exercises and work-outs etc.

Gonna try out different types of push-ups on Halaros' advice.
    Yeah, you definitely should. If you're doing diamond pushups, do it for a week or two, then switch it to something else.