Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Why is Africa so poor?

Title

What do you mean with poor?

Low average IQ, primarily

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not only have you broadly generalized this topic down to something which has little to no tangible and proven connection to the economic of market regions, you also have actually made it the primary point in your assessment.

So please, elaborate on this. Tackle all the issues Africa has and then draw a dot to low IQ as the main reason for them struggling. Lets go.

Mulder

Always remember this video!

Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    Not only have you broadly generalized this topic down to something which has little to no tangible and proven connection to the economic of market regions
    Lmao, sure thing R

, you also have actually made it the primary point in your assessment.

So please, elaborate on this. Tackle all the issues Africa has and then draw a dot to low IQ as the main reason for them struggling. Lets go.
    Well, let's start with the basics. The average IQ in Sub-Saharan Africa is 70

https://www1.udel.edu/educ/gottfreds...sen30years.pdf

IQ is highly correlated with several metrics of success

Of course, many of these metrics are modern, but this is to pre-emptively dismiss concern of IQ/g as a non meaningful metric. The implications of intelligence for creating and maintaining a civilization are obvious. It is therefore at least not unreasonable to suspect that this could be a significant factor in Africa's overall historical lack of success.

Take a look at this:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w18130

The empirical literature on economic growth and development has moved from the study of proximate determinants to the analysis of ever deeper, more fundamental factors, rooted in long-term history. A growing body of new empirical work focuses on the measurement and estimation of the effects of historical variables on contemporary income by explicitly taking into account the ancestral composition of current populations. The evidence suggests that economic development is affected by traits that have been transmitted across generations over the very long run. This article surveys this new literature and provides a framework to discuss different channels through which intergenerationally transmitted characteristics may impact economic development, biologically (via genetic or epigenetic transmission) and culturally (via behavioral or symbolic transmission). An important issue is whether historically transmitted traits have affected development through their direct impact on productivity, or have operated indirectly as barriers to the diffusion of productivity-enhancing innovations across populations.
    The importance of controlling for populationsíancestry highlights the second message from this
    literature: long-term persistence holds at the level of populations rather than locations. A focus on
    populations rather than locations helps us understand both persistence and reversal of fortune, and
    sheds light on the spread of economic development. The need to adjust for population ancestry is at
    the core of Putterman and Weilís (2010) contribution, showing that current economic development
    is correlated with historical characteristics of a populationís ancestors, including ancestorsí years
    of experience with agriculture, going back, again, to the Neolithic transition. The overall message
    from Comin, Easterly and Gong (2010), Putterman and Weil (2010) and several other contributions
    covered in this article is that long-term historical factors predict current income per capita, and
    that these factors become much more important when considering the history of populations rather
    than locations.
    Population characteristics (IQ being one of them, and a very significant one) play a more significant role than geography or institutions in predicting the success of a population.
    Last edited by Ultra; 01-10-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Do you think this comes from poor education in the continent?

^

Also, other continents' countries just industrialised earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    and poor healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    No. IQ is largely genetic, with a heritability of .8. They're inherently less intelligent (on average)

トキオ Love.$ex.Dreams
    (≧◡≦) ♡ l Feels Like Summer l

Lmao, sure thing R

Well, let's start with the basics. The average IQ in Sub-Saharan Africa is 70

https://www1.udel.edu/educ/gottfreds...sen30years.pdf

IQ is highly correlated with several metrics of success

Of course, many of these metrics are modern, but this is to pre-emptively dismiss concern of IQ/g as a non meaningful metric. The implications of intelligence for creating and maintaining a civilization are obvious. It is therefore at least not unreasonable to suspect that this could be a significant factor in Africa's overall historical lack of success.

Take a look at this:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w18130

Population characteristics (IQ being one of them, and a very significant one) play a more significant role than geography or institutions in predicting the success of a population.

Dont "Lmao Sure thing" me when this is your follow up

gonna respond later to it but thanks for it

Mulder

I mean, I agree with Ultra. It's not like there's zero correlation between IQ and success. It's pretty politically incorrect but it definitely plays a role, BlackLivesMatter or not

Ultra is an idiot himself. The correlation here doesn't mean causation.

Perhaps it applies only in terms of people earning money on their own. Needless to mention, saying Africans have a low IQ is flat out generalization that only an idiot would make.
    Last edited by DreX; 01-10-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    Dont "Lmao Sure thing" me when this is your follow up

gonna respond later to it but thanks for it
    It was a concise response because that's all I needed to refute your claim (little to no tangible connections).

Ultra is talking out his ass though when he's suggesting that Africans are innately and unfixably more stupid. The IQ differential is entirely due to environmental rather than genetic factors, which when corrected thereby clearly close the gap. Why do people say Africans have IQs comparable to Western and Eastern peoples from generations ago? Because obviously with passing generations comes big leaps in IQ, as Africa continues to modernise so corrected will be the IQ of their peoples.

As it stands though Africans on average are literally retarded, no wonder they're shit poor

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.MeMeStEr#99 View Post
    Well it does. It's not the sole reason but people with low IQs are less productive, all other things held equal, than those with higher ones. It doesn't measure intelligence holistically but it measures important enough aspects of a person's performance that when it's as low as the typical negroid it's gonna do you no favours nor your country hence poor as fuck Africans.

Yeah colonisation merked Africa too but IQ is definitely causally connected also

White people stole everything

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.MeMeStEr#99 View Post
    You're the true retard for saying this. This is literally some reddit tier comment when the person has no clue what they're talking about or have anything meaningful to add to the discussion. If IQ correlates to dozens of metrics you would expect it to, consistently across multiple studies, it's fucking causative. lmao

Master of Ceremonies Millennium Creed's Avatar
    Correlation equals Caucasian

I’m sorry.

It was a concise response because that's all I needed to refute your claim (little to no tangible connections).
    You havent even understood the claim I made hence your entire response is what amuses me.

Like I said, I am going to reply in kind later

Mulder

If I had to play devil’s advocate;

African people CANNOT run a country at this modern age. Remember Liberia?