Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with you guys, but the OP did ask us to take sales into consideration.
    and i kindly didn’t notice that

Kazutrash - A Real Man hentaisenpai's Avatar
    This is also in terms of legacy and how iconic it is
    Also in terms of sales as well
    This is not in order, I'll do that later

One Piece
    Dragon Ball
    FMA
    Hajime no Ippo
    Naruto
    Beserk
    Monster
    Fruit Basket
    Bleach
    Death Note or Akira I really can't decide between these two

Eh?

Oh this is mangaka rip
    Last edited by hentaisenpai; 01-11-2019 at 03:57 AM.

Didn't Akira revolutionize Anime or something

I don't really get the significance of it if not
    Fear me, for I am Meng Hao

[/spoiler]https://i.imgur.com/MW5gyad.gif[/spoiler]

Quote Originally Posted by Meng Hao View Post
    Didn't Akira revolutionize Anime or something

I don't really get the significance of it if not
    Yeah it did that's why I want it on my list

Toriyama is a top ten hack of all time

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    Toriyama is a top ten hack of all time
    God damned Vietnamese hating on the Japs

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rax View Post
    God damned Vietnamese hating on the Japs
    Do you seriously believe fairy tail is top 10 of all time? Honestly just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by hentaisenpai View Post
    Do you seriously believe fairy tail is top 10 of all time? Honestly just curious.
    In a large field or my personal enjoyments?

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

In a large field or my personal enjoyments?
    We already know about one of them. I'm talking about in a large field.

Quote Originally Posted by hentaisenpai View Post
    We already know about one of them. I'm talking about in a large field.
    In the large field he's still among the biggest names given how many manga artists/writers have existed and how well he's done, but he's not a titan of the thing.

But that's fine with me.

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    I agree with you guys, but the OP did ask us to take sales into consideration.
    In a way, that is fair. A work that able to reach a massive audience, and can be enjoy/empathize by all walk of life and culture is also a good quality (as long as it doesn't dumb down to the lowest denominator).

Takahashi created an empire that sells more than One Piece
    Ginga Nagareboshi Gin mangaka?

Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    Ginga Nagareboshi Gin mangaka?
    Pokemon creator is #1

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Top 5

1. Tezuka Osamu: Father of manga. Black Jack and Astro Boy would get him considered regardless. Phoenix is another notable series.

2. Toriyama Akira
    : Dragon Ball is the biggest series ever internationally. Dr. Slump was also highly successful.

Inoue Takehiko: Slam Dunk was a cultural phenomenon. Vagabond is a huge success. REAL is imo his best work even if it's less popular, which still means averaging over 1 million copies per volumes. A knock is that Vagabond and REAL have been on hiatus for long enough that they probably won't ever be completed.

4. Oda Eichiiro
    : One Piece. Biggest series in Japan but one series is only one series. I have a hard time placing him any higher when Dragon Ball and Slam Dunk were basically as big in their shorter runs and those authors have successes outside of those series.

5. Adachi Mitsuru
    : The manga-ka for the team sport in Japan, baseball. Touch was huge. Add in other popular baseball manga like H2, Cross Game, etc. and a bunch of other sports manga and he's an easy pick.

Next 3

6. Takahashi Rumiko
    : Four successful series in InuYasha, Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, and Urusei Yatsura. Individually somewhat underwhelming but enough variety and sheer quantity of hits that her place is unquestionable. Maison Ikkoku, a rom-com, is imo the best of the lot by a good margin and the most successful on a per volumes basis. The rest are mediocre but you've probably at least heard of InuYasha and Ranma 1/2 regardless so that's that.

7. Yoshihiro Togashi: Two highly successful series in Hunter x Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho. Either one by itself would make him a questionable entry but with both I think he's deserving. But they're both the same genre and very similar stylistically, which makes it arguable whether a one-hit wonder like Kishimoto would deserves his place instead. They're better than Naruto but I'm not sure if you're strictly comparing to the first half of Naruto the difference is that significant.

8. Arakawa Hiromu: Fullmetal Alchemist is her call to fame but Silver Spoon is also a success in a completely different (less popular) genre. There's not many series that sold significantly better per volume than FMA. I think Silver Spoon is enough to put her over the top. A better writer than most, which has to count for something.

Candidates for #9-10

Urasawa Naoki: Arguably the most successful seinen author between 20th Century Boys, Monster, and Pluto. Raw sales might not be there but that's partially a product of demographics.

Kishimoto Masashi. Outside of Dragon Ball, One Piece and Slam Dunk it'd be a stretch to call any series more successful than Naruto. Understandably he hasn't really written anything since but he has a new series coming out soon. Quality is eh... but Dragon Ball, Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha aren't all that either.

Aoyama Gosho: Detective Conan. Is it bigger than Naruto? It's arguable. Sales are comparable. Anime is more popular. Conan is probably the bigger cultural icon in Japan. Worldwide popularity... I actually question if it's bigger than Naruto so that's something. I think it's pretty big in other Asian countries but I could be mistaken.

Fujio Fujiko: Best known for Doraemon, which had a shorter run than Conan or Naruto. Think it's popularity is mainly limited to Japan. Probably doesn't deserve a spot over Aoyama. Still arguable.

Shoujo manga sells worse but the manga-ka probably deserve some consideration the two biggest are imo:

Kamio Yoko
    : Boys Over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango) is the best selling shoujo manga of all time. Plus, it has popular J-drama and K-drama adaptations. Her second biggest series is Cat Street, which I don't think had that much success and is a pretty generic shoujo manga. (Not that Boys Over Flowers isn't...)

Takeuchi Naoko: Sailor Moon. Anime might be a bigger success but Sailor Moon still sold well per volume even if it's short. Nothing else of note.

Not Considered

Araki Hirohiko: As a franchise JoJo's Bizarre Adventures is pretty big but per volumes sales are mediocre and overall I don't think it's that culturally significant. Might as well go with Aoyama (Detective Conan) or Fujio (Doraemon) if that really matters. Imo the writing is pretty mediocre overall. Steel Ball Run is pretty good but other than that...

Buronson: Fist of the North Star amongst others but are you a top 10 manga-ka if you don't draw? Nah.

Miura Kento: Can't even finish his only notable series. Sales are good but not even close to top 10 good. In terms of actual writing there might have been a point if the quality didn't tank after Golden Age arc.
    Last edited by SunWu; 01-11-2019 at 02:04 AM. Reason: formatting

Dragon Ball and Slam Dunk never even came close to selling as much as OP. Never had record breaking years with nearly 40 million volumes sold. Also while indeed having multiple good works is great, having one work that's been going on for 20+ years weekly and still keeping the quality at a high level is still just as impressive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellinger View Post
    Dragon Ball and Slam Dunk never even came close to selling as much as OP. Never had record breaking years with nearly 40 million volumes sold. Also while indeed having multiple good works is great, having one work that's been going on for 20+ years weekly and still keeping the quality at a high level is still just as impressive to me.
    On a per volume basis and compared to the sales of other series from their era I think they're comparable.

According to Wikipedia:

One Piece: 453M copies/90 volumes = 5.03M copies/volume
    Dragon Ball: 362M copies/42 volumes = 8.6M copies/volume (3.6M copies/volume without international sales... but international sales are a thing)
    Slam Dunk: 126M copies/31 volumes = 4.06M copies/volume

Volume-by-volume these are the three best sellers unless I'm missing a series, which I don't think I am.

Dragon Ball in Japan wasn't as big but internationally it's by far the biggest series. I'm not sure if you took the next 10 best selling series, they'd have sold more than Dragon Ball tbh. Not to mention the influence Dragon Ball had on every battle shounen manga-ka. Throw in Dr. Slump and I see zero reason to put Oda over Toriyama. This is coming from a guy who likes One Piece but doesn't like Dragon Ball.

I think you're underrating Slam Dunk it was huge in Japan (and Eastern Asia in general) not as big as One Piece but close enough that a series like Vagabond should bridge most of that gap. I think Oda over Inoue is fair. I just think Inoue is a better manga-ka. I'll admit I'm a bit biased. On a personal list, I'd have Inoue #1. I think REAL is the best manga I mentioned in that post. Vagabond is probably #2.

And we'll have to agree to disagree on long running series vs multiple successful series. Imo, it's easier to write a Naruto and have 30 volumes of filler that sell well than a Hunter X Hunter and a Yu Yu Hakusho. One Piece's quality declined a lot less than other long runners but it still declined.

Edit:

One Piece peaked around volume 50~60. Increase in fan base due to length is a thing. That's why sequels and long running TV series are popular. Name recognition is hard to get. Not that successful manga-ka don't have name recognition but it's not the guarantee that long runners are.

40 million copies (I swear it was closer to 30) was mostly due to people buying old volumes. Actual volume sales were still absurdly good but not that good.
    Last edited by SunWu; 01-11-2019 at 02:12 AM. Reason: adding stuff I deleted by accident