Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Listen, buddy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It isn't about racial issues. It about money. Asian American is too few, 5.6% of the population of the USA and extremely diverse to able to cater to any one in particular. A South Asian, would be different than an East Asian, so on and so forth. If anything, I would think it is economically sound not to cater to Asian American in term of box office.

But China hit and break movie. Ready Player One sort of failed in the USA box office, it makes 137 millions in the USA but 218 millions in China. The Chinese market had routinely save many films. IF Ready Player One didn't pull its political string to be release in China (which is sort of difficult since only 34 foreign films are allow in China per year- all over the globe), it would have been a box office failure. That is why movies like Crazy Rich Asians, in which I don't how much money they pay for the Chinese government for it to be release there. Making 1 million dollars. That is a major blow, they actually lose quite a bit of money.

Casting Donnie Yen to appeal to the chinese audience is correct. Casting a no name, much less a Vietnamese actress, to appeal to the Chinese audience is a stupid economical move.
    You misunderstood me. Obviously Hollywood wants to appeal to people in China. I'm saying that Kelly Tran does not make people in China want to see Star Wars, and that everyone in Hollywood realizes that she doesn't.
    "What!? Obviously Doflamingo and any other New World saga antagonist can easily beat that Whitebeard pirate with the top hat whose name I forgot, the one who appeared for a few panels at Marineford. Also Barreltheif is my favorite poster on NF." - Eiichiro Oda (SBS)

Quote Originally Posted by barreltheif View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You misunderstood me. Obviously Hollywood wants to appeal to people in China. I'm saying that Kelly Tran does not make people in China want to see Star Wars, and that everyone in Hollywood realizes that she doesn't.
    I mentioned Kelly Tran is in my first post. Can't blamed Tran 100%. Whether she is in a movie or not is neutral. Starwars never have a foothold in China. It was not big to begin with. Therefore it need to be an outstanding movie. The last Jedi wasn't. Don't really know who that movie is made for really. Too inconsistent for hardcore fan. Not a movie for general audience either. It just doesn't stand out.

They gave a Force Awaken a try and since then star wars just make less and less money with every subsequent movies in China.
    Even the hardcore fans that criticize the movie had been saying the actress was doing an okay job and that the script was the problem. It doesn't really matter who they cast or that they make the script super good at this point. I don't think the chinese people will see it. They didn't see the movies before that, they probably can't follow the next episode and won't pay money for that anyhow.

Putting people like Luke Skywalker in would appeal to hardcore fans. But most audiences in China, don't even know nor care.

Just realize Ant man and the wasp did pretty good in China despite being release way later than when it release in the USA. I did think the Chinese would have bootleg it by then. Kinda wonder if Deadpool was release in China, how it would do. Deadpool was so successful even without the chinese market.