Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How does this make any sense what so ever? Even if he's not working on it the whole time, dude has 9+ months in between the 10-12 chapters he releases every year, obviously he'll think about it in the meantime. Claiming his work doesn't get better as a result is asinine.
    I'm not saying it wouldn't help if he was really using for that, I'm saying it doesn't matter. The only important thing is the end result when appreciating the quality of the work
    In 20 years when people read both they won't care about whether it took him 10 years to release the last 100 chapters or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dai Don Dedede View Post
    I'm not saying it wouldn't help if he was really using for that, I'm saying it doesn't matter. The only important thing is the end result when appreciating the quality of the work
    In 20 years when people read both they won't care about whether it took him 10 years to release the last 100 chapters or not.
    Yeah, when you put it that way it makes sense. I thought we were talking about the quality we perceive right now, while it's still ongoing, and having to go through all these hiatuses certainly doesn't help the overall impression of the series. At the end of the day, release rates are an important factor for the reader of an ongoing series.

Quote Originally Posted by Egress View Post
    Toriko was good. They had feats. Feats are good. Feats represent good.

Yeah, when you put it that way it makes sense. I thought we were talking about the quality we perceive right now, while it's still ongoing, and having to go through all these hiatuses certainly doesn't help the overall impression of the series. At the end of the day, release rates are an important factor for the reader of an ongoing series.
    There weren't any hiatuses during the York Shin arc which people generally agree is the best arc in HxH. I personally like Greed Island more, but how do you explain York Shin being held in high regard?

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    I'd say without their captains the Whitebeards would be slightly stronger than the Red-Hairs and with their captains they'd be significantly stronger.
    It's pretty obvious no Emperor was a real threat to Whitebeard. He just had too much power and influence.
    Raigou apparently can't even destroy an island, which Whitebeard can do easily.
    Obviously it was because of Whitebeard, but the crew even without the captain is still highly exceptional. If you take away the captains, the Whitebeard's would beat any Emperor crew decisively.
    Vista can fight Whitebeard,

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    There weren't any hiatuses during the York Shin arc which people generally agree is the best arc in HxH. I personally like Greed Island more, but how do you explain York Shin being held in high regard?
    Don't think anyone ever stated that the mangaka is incapable of making amazing stuff, just that a hiatus can help a lot improving the quality of the manga.

But to answer your question, a hiatus doesn't have to happen at specific arc for him to improve said story, if there were hiatuses prior to this arc he could've used the time to brainstorm on which direction he wants to take his manga after he's done with what he's currently writing.

I mean Oda had those books around with ideas, sketches or story for the King, Queen characters etc. Togashi might be updating his books for the future in his hiatus time.

RIP Chester, you'll always be loved and missed.

The Gourmet Legion - President Ichiryuu
    Join The Toriko Club, Read Toriko here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiryuu View Post
    Don't think anyone ever stated that the mangaka is incapable of making amazing stuff, just that a hiatus can help a lot improving the quality of the manga.

But to answer your question, a hiatus doesn't have to happen at specific arc for him to improve said story, if there were hiatuses prior to this arc he could've used the time to brainstorm on which direction he wants to take his manga after he's done with what he's currently writing.

I mean Oda had those books around with ideas, sketches or story for the King, Queen characters etc. Togashi might be updating his books for the future in his hiatus time.
    There were scarce breaks until after Greed Island.

I'd say without their captains the Whitebeards would be slightly stronger than the Red-Hairs and with their captains they'd be significantly stronger.
    It's pretty obvious no Emperor was a real threat to Whitebeard. He just had too much power and influence.
    Obviously it was because of Whitebeard, but the crew even without the captain is still highly exceptional. If you take away the captains, the Whitebeard's would beat any Emperor crew decisively.

There were scarce breaks until after Greed Island.
    Well, he might've made a good arc without the use of a hiatus, I don't think anyone discussing this specific subject thought he was incapable of performing such a feat

RIP Chester, you'll always be loved and missed.

The Gourmet Legion - President Ichiryuu
    Join The Toriko Club, Read Toriko here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiryuu View Post
    Well, he might've made a good arc without the use of a hiatus, I don't think anyone discussing this specific subject thought he was incapable of performing such a feat
    This is moreso directed at Zentos who mentioned the 9+ month hiatuses helped the quality of the manga, but the most beloved arcs were before the long hiatuses.

Ichi already answered, no one said the hiatuses were the reason it achieved a level of quality, or that it wouldn't be able to achieve it without them. What I said about helping the quality still stands, as it's pretty much impossible for something not to get better after 9 months of on and off brainstorming.

As for previous arcs being beloved, the two aren't connected. First of all, an arc that is butchered by hiatuses, looks like a middle schooler's doodles and has more text one a page than some series in a whole chapter obviously isn't going to leave a whole lot of people impressed. Another issue could be the burnout that most authors suffer from; maybe he no longer has it in himself to write another Yorknew.

Ichi already answered, no one said the hiatuses were the reason it achieved a level of quality, or that it wouldn't be able to achieve it without them. What I said about helping the quality still stands, as it's pretty much impossible for something not to get better after 9 months of on and off brainstorming.

As for previous arcs being beloved, the two aren't connected. First of all, an arc that is butchered by hiatuses, looks like a middle schooler's doodles and has more text one a page than some series in a whole chapter obviously isn't going to leave a whole lot of people impressed. Another issue could be the burnout that most authors suffer from; maybe he no longer has it in himself to write another Yorknew.
    Did HxH get better or worse after the hiatuses?

Quote Originally Posted by Juan View Post
    no, no, you see, this isn't how it works.

you made a claim, namely, "toriko shits on DB".

so, it's your job to prove that.

also, no, "more interesting abilities" isn't an indicator of quality. vagabond & berserk are considered some of the best series of our time and you'd be crazy to consider "slice them the fuck up" and "my sword is fucking gigantic" as "interesting abilities".
    You are comparing 2 completely different genres and setting. For once DB fights are overrated because simply put there is nothing good on manga paper. They are plain, we don't see any interesting ability, it's just punching each other out and it doesn't even look good. Toriko had everything for a battle maniac. From interesting abilities, to outright great fist fights. Also it's plot is simply put, better structured. Shima clearly put some thought before putting out the chapters while Toriyama was going with the "just another alien but stronger" route. Nothing interesting.

Did HxH get better or worse after the hiatuses?
    That's inconsequential, saying that a work doesn't get better as a result of 9 months of time to think things through is baseless. If it's worse than it was during it's prime (which is kinda obvious, since one is the prime and the other isn't), it only means it would be even more so, had he been forced to release week after week.

This is completely in line with the burnout many authors suffer from, as well as something we've seen happen in the atrocity called YYH. That ending should've put him in jail; alas, leaving your readers blue-balled isn't a punishable offense.

That's inconsequential, saying that a work doesn't get better as a result of 9 months of time to think things through is baseless. If it's worse than it was during it's prime (which is kinda obvious, since one is the prime and the other isn't), it only means it would be even more so, had he been forced to release week after week.

This is completely in line with the burnout many authors suffer from, as well as something we've seen happen in the atrocity called YYH. That ending should've put him in jail; alas, leaving your readers blue-balled isn't a punishable offense.
    Creatively speaking, the later arcs are just as good as the early ones. What I'm trying to get you to see is that people enjoyed his work both before and after the hiatuses. I don't think the hiatuses necessarily allowed him to make a better product since he has already shown he could without the breaks.

YYH ended because Togashi didn't want to write what WSJ wanted him to write. YYH was becoming DBZ since it was selling faster than DBZ did and WSJ wanted to capitalize off of the success of both series, so Togashi ended it. And this goes back to what I was saying earlier. There's a reason Togashi can get away with what he does. There's a reason why fans beg for him to come back.

Creatively speaking, the later arcs are just as good as the early ones. What I'm trying to get you to see is that people enjoyed his work both before and after the hiatuses. I don't think the hiatuses necessarily allowed him to make a better product since he has already shown he could without the breaks.

YYH ended because Togashi didn't want to write what WSJ wanted him to write. YYH was becoming DBZ since it was selling faster than DBZ did and WSJ wanted to capitalize off of the success of both series, so Togashi ended it. And this goes back to what I was saying earlier. There's a reason Togashi can get away with what he does. There's a reason why fans beg for him to come back.
    I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying Togashi can't create quality content without hiatuses, I'm saying they allow him to make even better content. If the chapters he's putting out now are x/10, whatever he'd be putting out without hiatuses would be less than x.

It's pretty much impossible to have 9 months of prep and not do better than you'd do without. He's obviously not working on it the whole time, but just the fact that his ideas can settle and he can rethink them makes a massive difference.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying Togashi can't create quality content without hiatuses, I'm saying they allow him to make even better content. If the chapters he's putting out now are x/10, whatever he'd be putting out without hiatuses would be less than x.

It's pretty much impossible to have 9 months of prep and not do better than you'd do without. He's obviously not working on it the whole time, but just the fact that his ideas can settle and he can rethink them makes a massive difference.
    You don't know that, though. Forcing him to release weekly could make the manga better for all we know because it would force him to hire assistants like every other mangaka. There is no way to tell if his work would be better or worse without the breaks.