This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

this implicit bias shit is funny
    disappointed
    トキオ Love.$ex.Dreams
    (≧◡≦) ♡ l Feels Like Summer l

Lmao at the people trying to downplay the racist issues the US is having

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    Dont we all have bias in some form or another?
    really don't get this weird defensive mentality. funny thing is, it's exactly something i pointed out in that post of mine, and throughout this thread.

never said or implied other races or people are devoid of biases. just pointed out how it's a problem that these harmful stereotypes/biases can have such a huge and tangible influence on the lives of particular demographics in america.

whatever you incongruously perceived as a personal slight against white people shouldn't bother you more than facts like how black women are 3 to 4 times(or higher) more likely to die from preventable pregnancy issues than their white counterparts simply because their concerns aren't taken as seriously, but it does.

i don't get why that's the case, but feel it's a huge problem that so many people's first instinct is to defend themselves when presented with problems like these even though literally nobody is attacking you or other white people for it.
    Last edited by bootleg boy; 11-09-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    トキオ Love.$ex.Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg boy View Post
    disappointed
    Hey hey don't go around confusing my thoughts on these issues. I just don't believe we can lay it all down on something like implicit bias. If it was, it would also be the biggest issue for everyone, everywhere. And even if it turned out to be true. What would you do with it? How can you fix something you don't even know you have? It's hard enough to convince people of the real shit that's happening right in front of them. We're better of focusing on the the shit we can actually change instead of blaming a ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Ink Spot View Post
    Hey hey don't go around confusing my thoughts on these issues. I just don't believe we can lay it all down on something like implicit bias. If it was, it would also be the biggest issue for everyone, everywhere. And even if it turned out to be true. What would you do with it? How can you fix something you don't even know you have? It's hard enough to convince people of the real shit that's happening right in front of them. We're better of focusing on the the shit we can actually change instead of blaming a ghost
    there's a lot of issues plaguing black communities in america internally and externally. i'm not laying it all down on one thing. implicit bias is just one of them i brought up here because it's in line with the topic of this thread.

what can be done about it? acknowledging the problem when it's brought up instead of constantly deflecting the issue, or acting like it doesn't exist at all.

it's not a ghost, and it's not speculation.

sure, it's not an issue that can be changed proactively, but when it's seen it needs to be acknowledged. not treated as a non-issue when it has such a tangible affect on people's livelihoods.

it's possible not all of the police officers that use lethal force on innocent black people are racist, but it's still a huge problem if they unconsciously perceive them as more of a threat than they are because of their color. not all of these doctors that dismiss the concerns of pregnant black women may be racist, but it's a huge problem when they unconsciously don't take them as seriously because of their skin color.

getting defensive, and clamming up with these deflective retorts when presented with these issues like: "but i'm not racist", "but all lives matter", "but what about other countries/people", is completely counterproductive to any progress this nation can make against these problems.
    トキオ Love.$ex.Dreams

there's a lot of issues plaguing black communities in america internally and externally. i'm not laying it all down on one thing. implicit bias is just one of them i brought up here because it's in line with the topic of this thread.

what can be done about it? acknowledging the problem when it's brought up instead of constantly deflecting the issue, or acting like it doesn't exist at all.

it's not a ghost, and it's not speculation.

sure, it's not an issue that can be changed proactively, but when it's seen it needs to be acknowledged. not treated as a non-issue when it has such a tangible affect on people's livelihoods.

it's possible not all of the police officers that use lethal force on innocent black people are racist, but it's still a huge problem if they unconsciously perceive them as more of a threat than they are because of their color. not all of these doctors that dismiss the concerns of pregnant black women may be racist, but it's a huge problem when they unconsciously don't take them as seriously because of their skin color.

getting defensive, and clamming up with these deflective retorts when presented with these issues like: "but i'm not racist", "but all lives matter", "but what about other countries/people", is completely counterproductive to any progress this nation can make against these problems.
    i didn't read the whole thread. i see now why you brought it up, but i still don't believe it's gonna do anything. it's still a ghost, you want to call it out when it's explicit and can be proven. the implicit part is why no one can be held accountable. ultra and rax are undermining the issues in this thread, i would rather tackle what they said than what they might be thinking.

you're 100% right, those are counterproductive ways to any progress, and so is blaming their implicit bias in which they have no control over, which is only going to further derail the real conversation. and it can't be that surprising that people don't want to see themselves as bad guys. which is what most people perceive when they hear this term

Nobody should be held accountable for wrong think

every time you thought of fucking a girl but didn't act on ot you are excercising conscious choice over your subconscious, every man has done this countless of times and

The video Teo linked was some lady giving an example of how a doctor would be slightly insensitive and condescending to a patient, which is how a lot of doctors treat people, and its really undwerwhelming if that's what's defined as a "serious" issue

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    , "but what about other countries/people", is completely counterproductive to any progress this nation can make against these problems.
    That isn't just counterproductive. It's just a stupid argument.

"Why worry about rape in America? Rapes happen thousands of times a year in the EU." Non-relevant whataboutery style arguments are the type of argument someone goes to when they want to sound like they're thinkers but thinking isn't their strong point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ink Spot View Post
    i didn't read the whole thread. i see now why you brought it up, but i still don't believe it's gonna do anything. it's still a ghost, you want to call it out when it's explicit and can be proven. the implicit part is why no one can be held accountable. ultra and rax are undermining the issues in this thread, i would rather tackle what they said than what they might be thinking.

you're 100% right, those are counterproductive ways to any progress, and so is blaming their implicit bias in which they have no control over, which is only going to further derail the real conversation. and it can't be that surprising that people don't want to see themselves as bad guys. which is what most people perceive when they hear this term
    i presented articles with excerpts, statistics, examples, anecdotes, as well videos where patients describe their experiences and doctors acknowledge their implicit biases while also explaining how this results in higher death rates in pregnant black woman for issues that could've otherwise been preventable. if that's not explicit evidence then idk what is.

whether or not it's done consciously or unconsciously, the disparity in how people are treated by their race in america is pretty blatant. implicit bias doesn't detract from other issues, it just explains another form it comes in.

of course nobody wants to be the bad guy, but racism in general isn't an issue that can be addressed without making people uncomfortable. implicit bias, while unconscious , can be easily recognized by other people and solved if people can communicate about these uncomfortable problems.

and just to make this clear, when i say "held accountable" i don't mean by law, but by holding themselves accountable. y'know, being open to criticism when it's brought up to you instead of getting defensive because you don't believe yourself to have any prejudice. actually correcting something about yourself you're told can be a harmful mentality.

just now realizing how that phrasing could've been misinterpreted. thought i made it clear earlier, but i don't think this is a problem that can be handled judicially or anything. it is a huge problem in the u.s., but it's something that can only be rectified through discourse, or diversity tolerance education, or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post

"Why worry about rape in America? Rapes happen thousands of times a year in the EU." Non-relevant whataboutery style arguments are the type of argument someone goes to when they want to sound like they're thinkers but thinking isn't their strong point.
    truuu
    トキオ Love.$ex.Dreams

definitely exists in america. don't let any patriotic americans tell you otherwise...

I've traveled to a few countries, and solely based off of my experiences, americans are the most racist of any country people (and i mean american in the most typical sense of the word, i.e, white) and it appears my sentiments are reflected throughout the internet as well..

Racism for blacks appears to have dwindled, but racism against other races seem to be very common at the moment. One would think that the history of racism against blacks in america would make racism here much less common and shunned but no.... i still get bombarded with the "chink" comments and slanted eye remarks time to time (even from blacks! the people with a history against racism!) . My family back home seems to think Trump is a reflection of the typical american, and even living here, i can hardly blame them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Danny_Chen

Look at something like this. Hardly a repercussion for violent crimes against this american soldier for his race. And this kind of thing is brushed aside. If this were a black soldier, everyone involved would be crucified.

I'm not trying to downplay anything here, but equality means we should be holding the standard of treating everyone equally.
    Last edited by Phillip; 11-09-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rax View Post
    Asians are huge on racism towards any other type of Asian

Ahem. No. This is only rubbish media likes to feed everyone. In fact, i've met many asians who were extremely hospitable to me because i was Asian.

Of course, not everyone is like that, but painting every asian as only caring about their own race/culture is asinine

Quote Originally Posted by Wi S. Kennedeh View Post
    there are absolutely countries that are far more racist than America, the Middle East, Asia, and Latin America are ahead in that regard

I feel like this is backpedaling and trying to scapegoat the issue onto someone else....

It's like you're saying "yeah we're racist..... but have you seen x country? They're more racist than us!"

Quote Originally Posted by Katyusha View Post
    Can confirm. We hate other Asians apart from ourselves. At best, we try to act "friendly". Unless it's a genuine buddy of ours, someone we can trust.

No idea why you'd act out on a stereotype, or even play into these roles media sets up for ourselves.

really don't get this weird defensive mentality. funny thing is, it's exactly something i pointed out in that post of mine, and throughout this thread.

never said or implied other races or people are devoid of biases. just pointed out how it's a problem that these harmful stereotypes/biases can have such a huge and tangible influence on the lives of particular demographics in america.

whatever you incongruously perceived as a personal slight against white people shouldn't bother you more than facts like how black women are 3 to 4 times(or higher) more likely to die from preventable pregnancy issues than their white counterparts simply because their concerns aren't taken as seriously, but it does.

i don't get why that's the case, but feel it's a huge problem that so many people's first instinct is to defend themselves when presented with problems like these even though literally nobody is attacking you or other white people for it.
    But see it goes both ways man. As much as you think whites have some bias they arent aware of there are other races that cant see there own faults either. The difference is whites in america are the majority so we are excluded from having this discussion without someone saying hey thats racist

Please Donate To The Ocean Cleanup Fund
    >>>Ocean Cleanup Technology Explained<<<
    Currently Listening to
    Warp NFSP Podcast #37
    Anime Playlist: Goblin Slayer, Ninja Scroll, One Piece

But see it goes both ways man. As much as you think whites have some bias they arent aware of there are other races that cant see there own faults either. The difference is whites in america are the majority so we are excluded from having this discussion without someone saying hey thats racist
    the issue brought up in that post was the tendency to deflect from minorities call to their struggles as if it's somehow insulting. there's no problem in your speaking up on your truth. however, it becomes a problem when you use it as ammunition to shut down someone else's concern. bringing up whatever your problem may be as a rebuttal to someone else expressing their issue doesn't get anyone anywhere.
    トキオ Love.$ex.Dreams

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    I don't think people want white people cut out of the conversation since they're a big part of it. It's generally the way white people approach the subject.

was immediatly obvious everytime I went to travel to the US

it's far more pronounced than people would like to admit.

I felt it was highly prevalent though not necessarily as "agressively" as I thought. I also feel that "minorities" have much more resentment against the system in america than here in Europe which is quite telling of how they feel in the country imo. For example when I was working in Upenn the only two black people of the lab were often lamenting perception of black people by society or how whenever you saw another black person in Perelman it was a janitor. It also seems to be that there are more closed off subcommunities in the country, it seems to be accepted that latinos will hang out with latinos, asians with asians, blacks with blacks and that this is how it should be. It even goes to the appearance of different "vernacular languages" in those communities that are not seen as equal (the traditional english full of words borrowed from latin is what's expected from everyone in academy for example, even though that's not how many people speak in their day to day life).

So overall I'd say that racism or simple ignorance still has a lot of influence in the US right now, though perhaps not always in the dramatic way that is the one presented through the media (that also exists but may not be the most prevalent)

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post

I just can't hate on Makenzye lmao, the guy is way too reasonable and ideal

Mak is just some hard left libtard. Ignore him

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rax View Post
    Mak is just some hard left libtard. Ignore him
    So anyone with the opposite political views as someone else should just be ignored?

The Commander From Hell

We The North

He's brought up the most irrefutably sound point ever. Whataboutism literally does do nothing to address ones issues Rax just because you are beyond impressively endowed does not mean I am lacking of weiner schnitzel also