Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Listen, buddy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I said captain Marvel power by nakama power. Would you be happy ;)
    She's just the super hero version of Rey from Star Wars.

Mary Sue who you HAVE to like or you're a sexist

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

If I said captain Marvel power by nakama power. Would you be happy ;)

dont waste too much time with this one.

She's powered by feminism not friendship

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I44PKNHn8XI

Lel

And before you try to label the mang any generic insults from the left about him being some form of bigot know this dude is a Bisexual, black, comic nerd.

Knows CM was gonna be sour milk and it was

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/DT2ComicsChat/status/1104568690543087616?s=19

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rax View Post
    Damn son, you just went full Brie Larson there and care about the race, gender, and sexual orientation of a reviewer??

Never go full Brie Larson.

Damn son, you just went full Brie Larson there and care about the race, gender, and sexual orientation of a reviewer??

Never go full Brie Larson.
    I'm saying it before hand cause NPC types would instantly try to claim sexist straight white man

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoctor View Post

Three of those are reaching honestly.I mean there was no claim of agenda pushing when the Ancient one was changed into a lady, MCU breaks canon frequently. What does a rock song playing during a fight scene have to do with anything its certainly was no more out of place than the music choices from other marvel movies. The speech was cliched ,but to call it pushing a feminist agenda? I don't think so. The mastery of the energy was Mary Sueish at best but i struggle to see how it is uniquely feministy to the other rise up tropes. Apart from the agenda pushing that hit you square in the mouth like , " this is why they call it the COCKpit." Or " call me young lady again and I'll kick your ass." It was certainly relatively tame.
    Kree Ancient One was male, or at least my comic book friends say so.

It's not the song, it's the song choice. Just A Girl, really? The movie spent this whole time building her up to be a larger than life persona but now during the final skirmish she's "just a girl" yeah right. The fight scene isn't even matched up to the beat.

Maria's speech was pure feminist agenda. I see it that way because I've had experience being on Tumblr and some self-help feminist groups for awhile. Most of the "counseling" going on there is purely one-sided and done to keep up an image, none of which are truly solving anybody's problems. It's the same ridiculous "You're perfect and ilu bby" lengthened into a 3 minute speech by a person who barely knows the person she's counseling.

The ass whooping of Jude Law is perfect. That Kree basically stole her life away from her and killed one of the mentor. Jude Law character is very cunning. At the end, he knew he couldn't beat Brie Larson. So he used pride and taunting her to fight him at his level. She didn't take the bait. The end.

I don't get what you meant at all by the Kree Supreme Intelligent.

Hmm, as for Maria. Some of the dialogue was cheesy. But it sort of called for in this particular story (and the story is sort of bad writing) that Carol Denver doesn't know who she is. Emotionally appeal to what?? I am confuse, trying to convince Carol Denver of what?? We sort of have that when Carol Denver went through those photos with that little girl.
    I know what the scene means for Captain Marvel as a whole, but it falls flat. She was never challenged in any way by Yonrog. There's no satisfaction when all this time we know she's more powerful.

Kree SI is a green man face with tentacles over his head. Not an apparition of whoever you admire the most. That implies there's tech there that can see inside your heart, when all Kree tech does is see inside your head.

Carol's whole deal is wanting to find out who she is. But the thing is, even with her returning memories, she shouldn't have responded like that to Maria's speech about who she was. First, Maria doesn't know who she is after 6 years and second, it's sidestepping the real problem of Carol "caring" about her newfound friends. She was trained for 6 years to control her emotions and being trained to be a deadly soldier, a few hours doesn't negate all that training.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascot View Post

you mean, other than:

- killing her mentor in front of her
    - kidnapping her
    - brainwashing her
    - lying for her for whole 6 years
    - "catfishing" her in order to use her as a mass weapon

did you even watch the movie?

Did we see her struggle at all during those events? No we didn't. Even when the good old doc was gunned down in front of her, she was still badass. When she was being trained into a super soldier, still badass. Being lied to for the whole 6 years, who cares because muh badass female amirite? Where's the mental breakdown? Where's the face of emotional betrayal? All I saw was an angry woman angry at the world for lying to her. She only has three emotions: badass, angry, and stoic. Her snark was so forced too. At least Hawkeye was remorseful for all that he'd done in a moment of weakness with Natasha and Hulk is so emotionally vulnerable because his whole deal is emotion.

No moments of weakness whatsoever. WW did a great job with this by showing that Diana is hilariously out of touch with the world she lives in and failing to save Steve despite having all that power. CM not succeeding with this shows a problem in the direction they went with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Kree Ancient One was male, or at least my comic book friends say so.
    The Ancient One was a huge controversy as did the Mandarin.

But the Ancient One being female was really cool. She possibly the most badass female in the MCU. And she being female show a certain vulnerable about her, especially in her death.

As for the SI, the cannon version doesn't sound appealing. And if it was included that way, it just another cgi fest that don't necessary add to the story or making it better.

Let face it this story is very much different than what is canon.
    like the depiction of Kree vs Skrull war (and that work well)
    So in this regard, nick picking minor detail like that is kinda pointless. Most moviegoers don't read the comic. Comic fans in the USA isn't the same as manga fans in the USA. Much less, manga fans in Japan. Especially avid comic book fans that care all about those details like that is very much a fringe of the movie goers. If they are going to make money, they ain't gonna cater to the super super minority.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    No moments of weakness whatsoever. WW did a great job with this by showing that Diana is hilariously out of touch with the world she lives in and failing to save Steve despite having all that power. CM not succeeding with this shows a problem in the direction they went with.
    This one is one of your more valid criticisms. A lot of Brie Larson's captain marvel smirkness, cockiness, and triumphant at the end weren't quite earn. Not everyone is the same, there is no one correct way to portray a female character. However, it does make WW more relateable (don't know how to spell this word).

how deep down the well, do folks go

"I wouldn’t be surprised if the money they made was at least partially faked. At least 18-20%"
    "Anyone else find it strange that the box office numbers report an exact, round figure? Odd how usually the take isn't so even in terms of zeroes for other films. Then again, other movies don't have such a history of lying about numbers..."
    "I like how they are bending the numbers on ticket revenue hard and thinking anyone will believe it and say "oh well, I might as well jump on the wagon also". Went from being around 50 million supposedly Saturday night world wide to being around 350 million by Sunday evening? Lol. Even if that number was real...which I doubt since it was reported that the Japanese and Chinese were trolling on it as well being that they despise sjw culture themes....but even if...if you take the budget and then ask....how much did they spend world wide in adverts to push the movie online, television promotion, talk show interviews since they pay the shows and the actors for showing up to promote it, bill boards, magazines, comic ads, ......it's a failure"

and on and on it goes..
    Never go full retard, my friend.

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

And before you try to label the mang any generic insults from the left about him being some form of bigot know this dude is a Bisexual, black, comic nerd.
    idgaf about the rest of the movie, or whether its feminist trash or the second Superbad, but just because he's these things doesn't mean he can't be a bigot or racist.

that's the exact same position as "black people can't be racist".

Quote Originally Posted by Juan View Post
    idgaf about the rest of the movie, or whether its feminist trash or the second Superbad, but just because he's these things doesn't mean he can't be a bigot or racist.

that's the exact same position as "black people can't be racist".

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    I honestly think some of you guys have eaten paint chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    I honestly think some of you guys have eaten paint chips.

hmm, new mystery. Who else beside Rax rofl

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    hmm, new mystery. Who else beside Rax rofl
    If it looks like they have a hard time with reading and concept comprehension or an "us vs. them" mentality? Them.

there are people who actually want to dicuss the movie. the good, the bad and anything inbetween. if u just want to shit on Brie for whatever reason, then you can make a different thread for that. first and final warning.

this a thread to discuss the movie.

this goes especially for you ;

- - - Updated - - -

u dig?
    Last edited by Ink Spot; 03-12-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Not everyone is the same, there is no one correct way to portray a female character.
    Agreed, but there is one incorrect way to portray a female character. It's called writing a Mary Sue, and while Carol has her own flaws to not completely be one, she has enough to lean towards that character archetype, same as Rey.

As for the rest of your post, let's just say I would have appreciated the Kree SI as a floating face more because it would have conveyed a bigger threat than just melding into whoever your most influential person is.

Going to see this tonight

Yea though I walk through the valley of shadow of death I fear no evil

The level of tin foil hat comments I am reading on youtube is getting really crazy. Going from Disney cook the book (implication of major tax fraud and major ethic violation in the like of enron). To Disney just buy their own movie's tickets and give them away for free.

Holy cow, it is like people refused to see reality.

So now the new talking point is to compare Captain Marvel with all the movies that did better than itself. Iron Man 3 which has the most popular avenger and in his third outing. To those Avengers' movies. To Black Panther that drove the entire black community into a frenzy.

Then they claimed the international debut is so much better than original Infinity Wars international debut. But if they had put their lazy ass down and keyed in the search bar they would know that all of these movies that they compare to had their China (the world second largest box office) debut sometimes a week, to 2 weeks, to 3 weeks behind the us release.

Man, intellectually lazy, conspiracy fools.

I wonder what else beside captain Marvel that fake ass conspiracy spreading like this.

Saw the movie, good side characters, found Carol danvers to be mostly a miss as a main character.

I just didn't feel invested in rooting for her.

Otherwise solid marvel movie, 7/10.

On scale I'd say better to similar to ant-man movies. Not worth an immediately rewatch.