Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I get the feeling CM will occupy a space similar to Thor in the coming Phase 4 with characters like Black Panther or even Doctor Strange occupying the "Iron Man" slot of the cast.
    hmm, so that meant she would be more disconnect than the rest and have her own space adventures. (Still very very bitter about Guardians of the Galaxy).

Both Black Panther and Doctor Strange has the potential but they have so much obligations to their perspective group. Captain America was basically freelance for awhile. And Iron Man left everything to his fiance to deal with all the CEO responsibilities.

Sigh only if Hank Pym was Ant Man, but weirdly enough, kinda want to see Black Widow to lead the team despite her being so much weaker than everyone else.

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Listen, buddy View Post
    hmm, so that meant she would be more disconnect than the rest and have her own space adventures. (Still very very bitter about Guardians of the Galaxy).

Both Black Panther and Doctor Strange has the potential but they have so much obligations to their perspective group. Captain America was basically freelance for awhile. And Iron Man left everything to his fiance to deal with all the CEO responsibilities.

Sigh only if Hank Pym was Ant Man, but weirdly enough, kinda want to see Black Widow to lead the team despite her being so much weaker than everyone else.
    I wouldn't mind a BW led primary group. But CM seems to be a little bit more independent like Thor since her realm seems to be cosmic bound.

Granted we might keep Thor in Phase 4 so it'll be an interesting dynamic between him and CM in displays of power and ego.

Saw it yesterday, good movie.

It has a different "tone" than the standard MCU, being slightly more serious, but its not in a way that makes it bad, just different. Having Nick Fury doing most of the comedy was a bold choice but it pays off IMO.

Talos was good too, the action is on point and Larson performs well. She do make a style quite different from the Downyey JR./Chris Evans style that I got so used to, waiting to see how she fits with the rest.

I will give 7/10

Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoctor View Post
    A lot of those reviewers are either lying or exaggerating, there are moments where they lean really hard on the "you're just a woman" trope but it's honestly quite tame.
    It's not "SJW trash" but get out of here with the "honestly quite tame" statement too. Yall on both sides of the fence tripping. This is a feminist movie through and through and there's nothing wrong with it, but let's not deny that Marvel is trying to push an agenda and it didn't carry over through with the marketing, because some people don't like to feel like they're being forcefed something since it's good for you apparently.

the only "feminist" scenes are the 2 CM flashback scenes in the middle and close to the end (and calling this one "feminist" is a hell of a stretch).

- - - Updated - - -

In fact the Wonder Woman movie might be a lot more "feminist" than this one

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    It's not "SJW trash" but get out of here with the "honestly quite tame" statement too. Yall on both sides of the fence tripping. This is a feminist movie through and through and there's nothing wrong with it, but let's not deny that Marvel is trying to push an agenda and it didn't carry over through with the marketing, because some people don't like to feel like they're being forcefed something since it's good for you apparently.
    2-4 scenes out of a movie isn't a movie loaded with 'feminist' themes
    Unless I'm forgetting something I honestly don't think it was chock full of them.

Okay, I'll break that trend. Zoro bas better DC than Jinbe, and is mountain busting at the very least as what was shown with Pica. He is also at least MHS as he was able to blitz Kuma, the same person who was able to contend with the MHS Gear Second Luffy. Zoro's durability is island level when it comes to blunt force, evident by how he tanked having Luffy's pain being transferred to him, and Luffy had tanked island busting attacks up until that point.

hmm, a lot of mix feelings. On one hand, I like the twist. On the other hand, now if you rewatch it, you will see Brie Larson killing innocent people while being smirk with up beat music in the background.

I don't dislike Brie Larson's performance. I do think she has a place in the MCU. A lot of the casts are very good too. There are some scenes that are very nice.

But, some of the action scenes are very disorientated and I have no idea what happening.
    Once captain Marvel learn how to fly, all those flashy boom boom cgi fest is erhhhh.

If I grade this movie as did I enjoy it, I said 7 to 7.5/10

Captain Marvel just way too strong.
    Last edited by Great Potato; 03-10-2019 at 04:20 AM.

Saw this movie a second time, and I enjoyed it more this time around. Carol's fight in Mar-Vell's lab after activating her powers is REALLY| good.

The Commander From Hell

We The North

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Saw this movie a second time, and I enjoyed it more this time around. Carol's fight in Mar-Vell's lab after activating her powers is REALLY| good.
    The Canadian SJWism is running deeper into X than I thought

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Listen, buddy View Post
    hmm, a lot of mix feelings. On one hand, I like the twist. On the other hand, now if you rewatch it, you will see Brie Larson killing innocent people while being smirk with up beat music in the background.

I don't dislike Brie Larson's performance. I do think she has a place in the MCU. A lot of the casts are very good too. There are some scenes that are very nice.

But, some of the action scenes are very disorientated and I have no idea what happening.
    Once captain Marvel learn how to fly, all those flashy boom boom cgi fest is erhhhh.

If I grade this movie as did I enjoy it, I said 7 to 7.5/10

Captain Marvel just way too strong.
    If you talking about skrulls you cant really fault her for that

Also do you think that Thor takes away the fun of IW or even Ragnarok for being "too strong"?

So is this a good movie or not? I will watch it but hard to get an unbiased review with all this incel and sjw trash floating around

Quote Originally Posted by felixng2015 View Post
    So is this a good movie or not? I will watch it but hard to get an unbiased review with all this incel and sjw trash floating around
    Good

Go watch it if you an mcu fan. I found it worth my time. Though, maybe seeing it the second time when it is on dvd would help you with understand some of the action. I forgot to mentioned I was super sleepy coming into the movie too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ascot View Post

Also do you think that Thor takes away the fun of IW or even Ragnarok for being "too strong"?
    It isn't her fault, but like watching Ragnarok after seeing Infinity War in this case slightly worst.
    Ahh, I think I just understand my problem with the portrayal of Captain Marvel. She did have a lot of emotions in the films. But I don't understand her cockiness. It didn't feel earn. And it certainly didn't fit the message of "human" at the end of the film.

- - - Updated - - -

The powercreep is way worst than Dragon Ball Z.

By watching Ragnarok and Infinity War, I meant Ragnarok ending and Infinity War opening. Knowing what happen in Infinity War, you can't feel the triumph watching Ragnarok.
    Last edited by Listen, buddy; 03-10-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Good
    Ok ill watch it but keep my expectations low

As you can see couple people on here like the action/fight. The action in the beginning and middle of the movies are good. Even toward the end is decent. Though pay attention, because if you don't it is slightly disorientating with the standard hollywood flaws (I talk about it below). For me I have the most problem with the action at the really really end movie.

There are funny moments. The supporting cast super strong. And couple of twist you may not have seen coming. Also Stan Lee

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-ways-hollywood-ruins-fight-scenes/

6) Disguise What's Happening With Frequent, Chaotic Editing

True in some instances in this movie

4) Make Sure Nothing Can Hurt The Good Guy

Kinda, but because of the power scaling, there are stakes to be fearful for everyone else. Especially when normal human getting involve. I did genuinely concern for some characters.

2) Get Rid Of All The Real Humans

Not necessary just humans, but something like that you are not really scare of the outcome. However, comments I made in 4 applied.

1) Keep The Rules Vague

slightly problematic at some point.

=======================

But as you can see these are standard Hollywood problems, if you were fine with most of Hollywood action scenes, then you should be okay.

I don't know if Thor is the best comparison. Yeah he seemed to be in the same ballpark as Captain Marvel, but the threat level in both of those movies were high enough to keep him in check and he may as well have come out of them suffering more pain and loss than any character in the MCU to date. Compare Binary to Thor's awakening, the former allowed CM to basically breeze through the rest of the movie without breaking a sweat whereas Thor was an epic moment but still wasn't enough to overcome Hela. He's helpless against her at the beginning, has a fairly even exchange with the Hulk where he loses to outside interference, needed to awaken Surtur the demon to blow up Asgard because Hela was too powerful for him to defeat, starts Infinite War getting brutally defeated by Thanos and watching both his friend and brother die, and when it finally looks like he has his triumphant moment at the end of it all he manages to mess it up and get hit with the most dire consequences imaginable.

That's a far cry from Captain Marvel who turned her own film into a complete cakewalk once she went Binary, so the comparison isn't really the same. I would say it's a legit criticism but it is one that applies more in relation to this film specifically, since she's going up against Thanos next I think it won't be such a problem because he's a grand enough threat to be a massive danger even with her Binary mode.

You marvel freaks i swear Just enjoy the movie, and toss these analyzations aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.MeMeStEr#99 View Post
    You marvel freaks i swear Just enjoy the movie, and toss these analyzations aside.
    ehh, it took me out of the movie for the same reason that Great Potato said. Same go with like all 5 of my group of 5 people. They just can't articulate the reason why that is all. We all enjoy the movie regardless, lol, but we bashed it anyway during our dinner.

There was a complain about this movie doesn't have its own style and signature. I think it is untrue. It does have certain uniqueness to it. But the directors (who none of the duo's previous works seemed impressive) really need some more polishing. I am very surprise that they were even chosen.

the only "feminist" scenes are the 2 CM flashback scenes in the middle and close to the end (and calling this one "feminist" is a hell of a stretch).

- - - Updated - - -

In fact the Wonder Woman movie might be a lot more "feminist" than this one
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoctor View Post
    2-4 scenes out of a movie isn't a movie loaded with 'feminist' themes
    Unless I'm forgetting something I honestly don't think it was chock full of them.

Are you both serious? Adding to those flashbacks, Kree Supreme Intelligence being wrangled from canon just so a woman stands at the top of the food chain in Kree planet, Maria's testimonial sounding like a Tumblr manifesto ("You're strong, smart, kind, etc etc."), buttering her up instead of emotionally appealing to Carol which would be more preferable as it creates a more relatable character, Just a Girl inappropriately playing during Carol's rampage through the grunts, mastering fucking Binary Power despite having 0 training on it (cough Rey cough), etc.

Wonder Woman was a lot more feminist (why the quotations? It's true) but Diana was also more relatable despite being a princess of a sheltered closed out queendom. Diana had her moments of weakness that were heartfelt, what about Carol? Her lashing out after finding that her whole second life was a lie should've been that, but all the directors did was butter her up. How the fuck does Maria know that the Carol then and the Carol now are the same person, when just hours ago she was heavily doubting if she was? I don't remember the exact phrasing, but that moment was so shit overall in favor of running with Carol's strong woman shtick.

Another scene the feministic direction ruined was the fucking ass whooping of Jude Law. I get what they were going for, but why do you think Carol failed where everyone else succeeded? I'll tell you why: Carol was never shown as anything else but a stoic strong woman while all the other Marvel superheroes who underwent that exact same gag moment had their moments of weakness under that villain. That's why Hawkeye and Hulk shitting on Loki were great, because Loki really fucked them up. What did Jude Law's character do to Carol's character? Besides holding down her potential, not much. Maybe attacking innocent Skrulls, but to be honest the only Skrull the audience was made to care for at that point was Ben motherfucking Mendelsohn, the real star of CM.

I said I didn't give a shit if a movie pushes a certain agenda. What I don't like is sacrificing a movie's direction to push it. A good movie is a good movie regardless of socio-political opinion. Captain Marvel is, at best, a meh movie.

Ironic how Yonrog kept telling Carol to "control her emotions" yet Carol shows an emotional range worse than Hulk's because the direction didn't let her show weakness and vulnerability.
    Last edited by Great Potato; 03-10-2019 at 04:12 PM.

I want my money back.

This honestly sucked.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast