Top Ten Iron Man Armors

Here I'll list my favorite top ten Iron Man armors. These have little, if anything, to actually do with relative strength and appeal to me strictly by function, design, or "character" to them.

Enjoy!

10. Iron Man Model 39

Sometimes referred to as Iron Man 2.0, which formally belongs to another armor, the 39 was a model of armor built in secret by Stark with an approach similar to another armor on this list: Why just make it out of Stark Tech? Why not build it out of Stark/Hammer/AIM/Ghost/SHIELD tech instead? While not the longest serving or even most notable armor, this armor was a visually striking one for me and I really just loved it's raw design aesthetic and "future thinking" concepts we would see again in a different armor (which is not on this list). I've picked this one mainly for aesthetics because it's just so damn cool.

9. Iron Man Model 8

Nicknamed the "Silver Centurion," this armor was a huge turning point for a lot of concepts which would become popular in later Iron Man mythos. Such as adaptive usage, multi-environment capability, recharging from enemy attacks, and the ever loved and oft forgotten Pulse Bolt. This armor was originally designed to replace the armor Rhodey was using at the time (wait...) as Stark was just a recovering alcoholic tinkerer. It turned out the armor he was just sort of playing around with was significantly faster, utilized an entirely new set of repulsor systems, and was so much more damn powerful is made every armor before it obsolete. This was also during the time when Iron Man armors weren't coming out at the speed of iPhone releases. This armor also marked a change in Stark's life as he once again donned the concept of reluctant hero: Someone who must be Iron Man because it's something necessary in the world. A destiny he cannot run from.

8. Iron Man Model 28

Known as the "Hypervelocity" armor, this one has had technically two pilots, though only one person. Stark designed this one similar to the Model 39 in that it's built up of a bunch of different technologies over the years, but it's design was meant to push the armor beyond what a human can tolerate. Where number 10 is sometimes called "Iron Man 2.0" I introduce you to Tony Stark 2.0, the downloaded and copied mind of Tony Stark (super common, btw) which can pilot this super fast, super crazy armor without human limitations. Stark himself was sort of rendered unconscious at this time. What sets this armor apart is the tremendously high computational power necessary to run and help assist the pilot, run the AI, a super-cavitation mode meant for quick underwater usage, a large capacity...er... capacitor ring on it's back, the ability to fire hypersonic projectiles, and large waldos for arms to increase firepower and versatility. This armor was all about speed. Everything about it was concerned with speed and projectiles. But man do I love those arms for some reason.

7. Iron Man Model 13

Commonly referred to as the "Modular Armor" or the "Marvel vs. Capcom Armor," this armor was an aesthetic and conceptual overhaul of the Iron Man design. Where before each and every Iron Man platform was a dedicated idea which could be modified, this armor was designed specifically for specialization in the form of modular attachment. Need a better drill? Pop off that arm and put a different one on. Need better plating? Remove the chestpiece and put a new one on. It also helped in overall armor repair, since if you lost an arm you didn't have to basically weld a new one on or rebuild the armor. You just replaced the part. The most famous modular attachment is the Hulkbuster Armor, which was really an Iron Man armor for the Iron Man platform. Like Iron Man inception. This armor was pretty popular and was THE face of Iron Man in the 90's, even after he had different armors. This is due to his cartoon show and the fighting games. A cool design with knee-pads, it's aggressive look was able to convey it's strength without going overboard.

6. Iron Man Model 29

Everybody knew the Extremis armor would have to show up, and yeah, I love it. Sleek, formidable, aggressive, pragmatic. An armor that curves in the right ways, flattens in the best parts, and just has enough glow to look mean. Arguably the meanest looking armor on this list, the Extremis Armor was another pivotal point in how the Iron Man platform worked. This one was primarily stored in the hollows of Stark's bones while the outer plating magnetized to him. It was one of the most interconnected Iron Man armors to have ever existed, and was even a big plot point. This armor replaced the public face of Iron Man, and still does to this day.

5. Iron Man Model 9

The Neo-Classic Armor was the armor which came after the Scarlet Centurion as a response to the first Armor Wars and need for higher firepower. This would probably be the second to last Iron Man armor I'd consider to be the most heroic of Iron Man armors. Not necessarily by design, but by purpose. Stark at this point could have always designed the Neo-Classic armor but just never did because he didn't want that sort of firepower to exist. Speaking of firepower, an enemy named Firepower had utterly destroyed the good old silver and red and the only way to stop it was to build an even more powerful armor. This armor basically disassembled Firepower with zero issues (though a big part was how it could reboot faster), and when Firepower was defeated Stark was torn. He didn't WANT this armor to exist. It was the antithesis of why he built the Iron Man. Iron Man wasn't meant to be the pinnacle of destructive design, and this armor was always meant to be destroyed soon after. Fortunately, for the planet, Stark came to the reluctant and sad realization that if Firepower could exist then more powerful enemies may also come up. So, despite how he felt, he donned this armor to become the "new" Iron Man. I say new because he publicly claimed this was... You know what? Forget it.

4. Iron Man Model 50

The Endo-Sym armor is similar to the Neo-Classic Armor in how it's one of those "pinnacle of design" armors Stark sometimes builds. Buuuuut... Only if Stark were more or less evil. This is the armor Stark designed post Axis where his heroic traits were magically changed to less than heroic ones. Built off a basically lobotomized klyntar (symbiote), mixed with his Iron Man tech, it would be a shifting, multipurpose armor which was up-gradable on the fly and... well... Just look at it. It's a cool freaking armor to look at. Those white and blues are so dang cool, and I mean it just has that cooling effect as you look at it. Sleek. Sexy. Deadly. Daredevil found out that the strength of this armor is in its unassuming appearance. It's not a friendly armor, but it is a charming armor.

3. Iron Man Model 37

The good ol' Bleeding Edge armor. Designed to be what comes next after what comes after Extremis. The Extremis armor was pretty advanced and all, but this one made it look like a real clunker. Probably a bit familiar to those who have seen Infinity Wars, the Bleeding Edge was a yearning back to Stark's more heroic days. And obviously coincided with Marvel's "Heroic Age." But this armor was a trip, because it was powered by a decentralized source, opting instead for several "RT Nodes," which backed as a 360 degree camera angle, which could feed directly into Stark's supercharged brain. In fact, the whole armor was inside him as a bunch of nanobots which gave this armor some pretty versatile options. But to be honest, it took a long time for the "base armor" to appeal to me. When it first came out I disliked it. Mainly because I loved the Extremis armor so much, and I hated how big the eyes were, and it was just so glowy (odd, given my other choices), and just the overall non-dedication to performance. But as I got a bit older and a lot less edgy, the overall design really started to appeal to me and I began to see it for the heroic angle as opposed to just dropping the military angle.

2. Iron Man Model 4

This is the classic armor. Though if I had a chance to rename it I'd call it "The Workhorse Armor." This is the easily longest used armor for Iron Man by any metric. In continuous use for a decade, this is also the "fallback armor" for any time Stark needs an armor and needs it NOW. He'd use this again after one armor went sentient and crazy, and again in several events. It has that quintessential Iron Man look, earning him the nick name "Shell Head," and putting the pods on his hips. The ringed look of his boots and gauntlets, the cuffs, the adjustments of the plugs, the smoothed faceplate? All of it screams classic Iron Man. And how much character it has and usage it's received! For me this is one of the armors I really think back to when I think of Iron Man because of how long it's stayed in the comics and the overall smooth and just really cool design. Hell, it's served so long it's had no less than THREE pilots.

Wait a minute... This is familiar...

GOD DAMNED MARVEL AND THEIR SJW SELLING OUT TO PROGRESSIVE LIBERALS ALL THE WAY BACK IN 1983!!!! HOW DARE THEY LET A BLACK PERSON BECOME IRON MAN FOR SEVERAL YEARS, THEN AGAIN FOR A FEW YEARS, AND THEN EVEN ANOTHER TIME!!! NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, THAT VERY FIRST ONE WAS ALSO RHODES ON THE INSIDE!!! IT WASN'T EVEN STARK!!! ITS ALMOST LIKE MARVEL HAS ALWAYS BEEN OKAY WITH THIS FOR DECADES AND ITS MY MODERN PERCEPTIONS AND THIN-SKINNED SENSITIVITY THAT FORGETS HOW THIS EVEN WORKS!!!

1. Iron Man Model 16

And now for my favorite armor. The Heroes Return Renaissance Armor. After a confusing few years, Stark came back better than ever in an armor that restored his heroic look while pushing it to new heights. The green glows, the glowing collar, arms, and chest were winners for me. He could be seen and was seen as a restoration of what Iron Man could and should be. I absolutely loved the "knightly look" and the return of the horns long since missing from the Model 2. It kept the rings where the rings were needed and smoothed out all the rest to give it this shine and glory I think few armors even hint at. Though I think I might have a bit of nostalgia clouding me. When I really started to become serious about collecting comics (on my own, without the parents), Iron Man was one of the first series I picked up and immediately latched onto. It was a crazy time for Iron Man with a return of the Mandarin, Black Widow, the revelation of Carol Danvers, how the armor was killing him, and the leadup to the sentient armor in the world's worst plot device turned into absolute brilliance. This is an armor I would've loved to stick around, but alas it will always hold a warm spot in my dying heart as what I think of most when I think of Iron Man.

Model 50 would be my favourite from them

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Model 50 would be my favourite from them
    I can see why. It really just has that classic look tempered by a real future revamp.

And that color scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    I can see why. It really just has that classic look tempered by a real future revamp.

And that color scheme?
    MCU directors are madmen for not including that suit in the movies yet

MCU directors are madmen for not including that suit in the movies yet
    Color scheme is all wrong.

That and the... unfortunate ties that armor has.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Color scheme is all wrong.

That and the... unfortunate ties that armor has.
    How hard could it be for them to turn Stark evil?

How hard could it be for them to turn Stark evil?
    Could just have the Scarlet Witch change their personalities entirely on accident.

Though movie Stark as evil would be far less Iron Man as a soulless corporate douchebag with lesser regard for life, and more just party animal who sells munitions again. lol

funny how you put the model 28 pic as one while it's being destroyed

rank the mcu ones next

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

I like model 8.
    ​​
    Believe In Venom Snake Who Believes In Me

I have a soft spot for the big clunky Model 1. Just something about seeing that big bulky thing shooting flamethrowers and using jet boots, particularly when contrasted with sleek nanobot technology of model 37, it's the humble beginnings that really highlight just how far his advancements have come. It seems primitive now but there was a time it got the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    funny how you put the model 28 pic as one while it's being destroyed

rank the mcu ones next
    Funny enough that was a cover picture originally. But not the most “advertised” to be destroyed IM armor. Though that one almost made the list.

Quote Originally Posted by D View Post
    I like model 8.
    Yeah. It’s a cult favorite for just how different it was and also being the face of the West Coast Avengers. The best part is really how it was a full and not partial upgrade like Starks rehab armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    I have a soft spot for the big clunky Model 1. Just something about seeing that big bulky thing shooting flamethrowers and using jet boots, particularly when contrasted with sleek nanobot technology of model 37, it's the humble beginnings that really highlight just how far his advancements have come. It seems primitive now but there was a time it got the job done.
    Agreed. That armor pretty much defines the core of Stark and his ability to turn a bad situation into survival and victory. The only thing I hated about that one was how bulky and obvious it should be. For those not GP, Stark had to wear the IM chest piece full time and recharge it every night while wearing it since it was the only thing keeping him alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    Probably 37.
    Yeah. Those big ads eyes eventually grew on me.

Why does he need to sculpt muscles on them though

They look best either as either sleek or bulky machines.

Yea 50 looks the best

Quote Originally Posted by Numinous One View Post
    Why does he need to sculpt muscles on them though

They look best either as either sleek or bulky machines.
    If we're talking about the arms and legs, those aren't sculpted. The "sheaths" that went over his arms and legs was a pretty skintight malleable metal that just showed off Tony's muscles.

The abs were more or less to complete a heroic or "flashy" look. As opposed to a walking tank look, Iron Man in those instances wanted to have a more human or "presentable" look. Though in at least one armor that went too far.