Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fire Dragons of Wei Arc / Chiyoyou

this arc is viewed as one of the weaker in the whole manga (at least for me). why is that so? are the powerlevels inconsistent in this arc? is the numbers of troops the problem? the characters that came out of a box? All together? Say what you think about this arc...

it was just short. only 22 chapters or so. wasn't really meant to be anything major.
    トキオ Love.$ex.Dreams
    (≧◡≦) ♡ l Feels Like Summer l

Quote Originally Posted by Tokio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it was just short. only 22 chapters or so. wasn't really meant to be anything major.
    But was it not a mistake to get 3 new GG in the arc that where kinda overpowerd for the youngsters back then and even having way more numbers overall compared to the units and the whole Tou army?

It's actually fine in terms of pure enjoyment. I like reading it. But it's the worst written by far - I guess not too dissimilar to Marineford which is full of holes yet still GOAT (and better than FD arc regardless but I digress). A few things I dislike;

- Retcon of Wei having legends that had never been mentioned before, even though we saw Gokei. I don't mind hidden beasts as long as Hara makes realistic sense of it (Gyou'un, Shibashou etc), but these are just plain ass pulls even if I like all of their characters.

- Bringing 3 legends back only to kill 2 of them off. It cheapens them to lose to rookies.

- Reiou's death was cheap. It made sense I guess and i do see a Shin/Duke parallel with the way he saw the dust cloud, but still.

- Gaimou deciding to not duel Shin and kill him. Let GHM deal with the HSU who're going to his HQ. Surely that would be common sense, since I do believe Gaimou is underrated and was significantly above Shin.

- The numbers in the war were just too unbelievable. No way should Qin have won.

- Ouhon's plan may be have been great in-verse, but it's too far-fetched in my mind. So what if Qin storm Wei's HQ? They can just regroup away from the tent and dominate with their insane numerical advantage. GHM, Ranbihaku, Gaimou, Junsou + natural fortress + huge numerical advantage still should have been able to beat an exhausted Qin. It was a suicide/stupid strategy, regardless if we're meant to think it was great.

- Gohoumei had so much momentum at that moment and even though we can't really fault him for not predicting the FD deaths, he still lost the brownie points he gained the arc before. This guy is meant to be as impressive as Karin to us.

- Tou doing nothing. I didn't like it.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike the arc - I could easily create a list of bullet points on why I actually like it a lot, it just lacked any real depth for me. It felt cheap once you start to dig a bit deeper into it.
    Last edited by Kanki; 05-16-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Imo it was disappointing because with something as big as the Fire Dragons we should’ve gotten a subtle hint before. Also GHM & Tou basically did nothing. Tou allowed Ouhon to be commander in chief and GHM sat a HQ hearing war stories from Reiou.

Quote Originally Posted by Naki View Post
    But was it not a mistake to get 3 new GG in the arc that where kinda overpowerd for the youngsters back then and even having way more numbers overall compared to the units and the whole Tou army?
    i don't think so. the arc itself was handled well. the wei army was reasonably defeated, and the new gen didn't need to overpower their opponents to win.

the arc served as a good precursor for future events.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kanki View Post
    - Gaimou deciding to not duel Shin and kill him. Let GHM deal with the HSU who're going to his HQ. Surely that would be common sense, since I do believe Gaimou is underrated and was significantly above Shin.

- Ouhon's plan may be have been great in-verse, but it's too far-fetched in my mind. So what if Qin storm Wei's HQ? They can just regroup away from the tent and dominate with their insane numerical advantage. GHM, Ranbihaku, Gaimou, Junsou + natural fortress + huge numerical advantage still should have been able to beat an exhausted Qin. It was a suicide/stupid strategy, regardless if we're meant to think it was great.
    these points were actually addressed in the arc

gai mou dueling shin would've only slowed him down and allowed ryuu koku to surround and overwhelm him with his numbers, hence why he left. he was forced to retreat.

your complaints about ou hon's strategy are valid, and it would've come back to bite the qin army if it weren't for shin taking out rei ou. if you remember they really were actually intending on regrouping and doing exactly as you said. the real reason for the qin's victory was shin, not ou hon and his strategy.
    トキオ Love.$ex.Dreams

i don't think so. the arc itself was handled well. the wei army was reasonably defeated, and the new gen didn't need to overpower their opponents to win.

the arc served as a good precursor for future events.
    damn... i see it all the other way around

Bright Eyed Solstice Wi S. Kennedeh's Avatar
    Just finished this, Shin killing Rei Ou was eh

is the next arc better?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskodeh View Post

is the next arc better?
    FD is widely considered the worst arc so...

is the next arc better?
    The next arc goes back to being political but there’re some great moments in theirs. If you like the political side you should like this arc as well. It’s the finale of Sei vs Ryofui.

The only part worth remembering was when Gohoumei shoved Reiou into Shin.

- - - Updated - - -

these points were actually addressed in the arc

gai mou dueling shin would've only slowed him down and allowed ryuu koku to surround and overwhelm him with his numbers, hence why he left. he was forced to retreat.

your complaints about ou hon's strategy are valid, and it would've come back to bite the qin army if it weren't for shin taking out rei ou. if you remember they really were actually intending on regrouping and doing exactly as you said. the real reason for the qin's victory was shin, not ou hon and his strategy.
    I basically think Gaimou should have ended their fight sooner, and feel he probably could have if it went all out. I also think even with Reiou dying, Wei had more than enough fire power considering their numbers + how GHM is meant to be the real deal.

is the next arc better?
    It's not very good when it comes to war itself, but it's an important turning point in the story.

It was way too soon for the newgen to be soloing legendary GGs or even battling them head on. It looks really silly now that they have taken are taking several steps back and are getting battered by HKs (hell last arc Shin was getting owned by the Rigan clownshow). The FDs looked like jokes as a result.
    Last edited by Tenma; 05-16-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenma View Post
    It was way too soon for the newgen to be soloing legendary GGs or even battling them head on. It looks really silly now that they have taken are taking several steps back and are getting battered by HKs (hell last arc Shin was getting owned by the Rigan clownshow). The FDs looked like jokes as a result.
    that short sums up my opinion on the arc...

it was too soon, and their performance actually reflected that they weren't ready.

- ou hon was completely overwhelmed by e.shi. he only won because of e.shi's disregard of self-preservation, and even then it took everything he had to land that attack despite e.shi having such a fatal flaw.

- shin was actually defeated by gai mou, and the hsu needed reinforcements from ryuu koku to bail them out of what would've been a fatal situation for their unit.

- rei ou was caught by shin mid-retreat, outside of the battlefield, without many men to guard him.

in a direct 1 on 1 without any handicaps they were no match for the 7fd's.

as for this arc, don't see how any of what's transpired can be interpreted as the new gen taking several steps back or that they've been getting battered by hk's.
    トキオ Love.$ex.Dreams

They bring asspull old legend with asspull reason, then decide to make GHM, Tou and Reiou pretty much doing nothing. Let Reiou died for no reason whatsoever after doing barely anything of note.

Power level consistency is also a plague. With Shin manage to hold his own vs Gaimou and yet being hold by mere Batei in the next arc.. Like.. Just introduce the big villain later if you don't want MC squishing fodders

There's a lot of other points but too lazy to write them all atm

it was too soon, and their performance actually reflected that they weren't ready.

- ou hon was completely overwhelmed by e.shi. he only won because of e.shi's disregard of self-preservation, and even then it took everything he had to land that attack despite e.shi having such a fatal flaw.

- shin was actually defeated by gai mou, and the hsu needed reinforcements from ryuu koku to bail them out of what would've been a fatal situation for their unit.

- rei ou was caught by shin mid-retreat, outside of the battlefield, without many men to guard him.

in a direct 1 on 1 without any handicaps they were no match for the 7fd's.

as for this arc, don't see how any of what's transpired can be interpreted as the new gen taking several steps back or that they've been getting battered by hk's.
    It doesn't seem like several steps back as most people rationalize it by rating the FDs as weak...most people think guys like Gyouun or Keisha, or even the HKs would waste Gaimou in a war when he's consistently mentioned in the same light as the Q6 and Z3.

It was like beating Riboku or Kanki or Moubu it simply shouldn't have been possible with Ouhon/Shin at that level.
    Last edited by Tenma; 05-17-2018 at 01:14 AM.

way too fast paced, terrible climax and buildup, characters weren't good overall. people just looked bad

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tenma View Post
    It doesn't seem like several steps back as most people rationalize it by rating the FDs as weak...most people think guys like Gyouun or Keisha, or even the HKs would waste Gaimou in a war when he's consistently mentioned in the same light as the Q6 and Z3.
    can't cosign any of the hk's beating gai mou, but gyou'un and kei sha are outliers that should be able to reasonably contend with some of the 7fd's without making their reputation look bad or less than what it is.

It was like beating Riboku or Kanki or Moubu it simply shouldn't have been possible with Ouhon/Shin at that level.
    i mean, their defeat wasn't to any fault of their actual ability. circumstance is important. any general is capable of losing to someone weaker with the right handicap or if caught in a compromising enough position.

and that comparison is kind of a big stretch in itself.

not that the 7fd's are weak, but you're comparing their defeat to beating some of the absolute best of this era. their being mentioned in the same light as the former q6 and z3 doesn't mean they can compare to every q6 or z3 level fighter.
    トキオ Love.$ex.Dreams