Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: Pit bulls

  1. #21
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    63,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pit bulls are pretty tolerant compared to other dogs and yes they're dangerous but so is every other breed of dogs.

    The reason they have so many attacks is because they are a popular breed. They are strong and look mean which attracts shitty owners that want them for those traits. More shitty owners raising pit bulls to be vicious means more attacks.

    Dachshunds are easily more aggressive but don't have nearly as many lethal attacks because they aren't as strong as a pit bull.
    They're like less than 10% of dogs owned and are responsible for 75% of attacks, this is not a proper explanation.

    You're right that it's not just aggression though it's because of their strength.

    They also don't telegraph when they're going to attack and aren't likely to stop once they start attacking

    https://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/one-citys-experience.pdf

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By the way just because I support a ban I don't mean "all pitbulls gone overnight"

    https://www.wausaudailyherald.com/st...work/12892813/

    Look at the success of this ban
    I see. It also proposed taking necessary precautions for those pre-existing pitbull owners. Keep that and add licenses like Crack suggested. Probably the far simpler solution.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're like less than 10% of dogs owned and are responsible for 75% of attacks, this is not a proper explanation.

    You're right that it's not just aggression though it's because of their strength.

    They also don't telegraph when they're going to attack and aren't likely to stop once they start attacking

    https://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/one-citys-experience.pdf
    They don't telegraph? That's terrifying. There aren't any signs?
    http://www.millenniumforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic12330_1.gif

  3. #23
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    63,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Zu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't telegraph? That's terrifying. There aren't any signs?
    They don't always mask their aggression but sometimes they'll act happy and wag their tails even when preparing for an attack. It's a beneficial trait for a fighting dog. That's why you'll hear lots of stories about them "snapping" and attacking unprovoked

    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...No+local+token

  4. #24
    ihascaketoo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    In Vienna eating Cake
    Posts
    3,919
    Actually my first dog growing up, we had many pets during my childhood and it felt like a zoo at times but most came and left while he stayed. Despite being a pit bull he was really friendly and never bit anybody he would jump on a few people but thats about it. We first got him when a friend of my dads from the fire department brought him over I got really scared since I was 4 and never saw a dog up close before we quickly bonded and I spent a good 14 years with him. I cried when he died a few years back but I will always cherish the time we spent together.


  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're like less than 10% of dogs owned and are responsible for 75% of attacks, this is not a proper explanation.

    You're right that it's not just aggression though it's because of their strength.

    They also don't telegraph when they're going to attack and aren't likely to stop once they start attacking

    https://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/one-citys-experience.pdf
    I hope you're not pulling your sources from the bias sited created and ran by a person that is trying to get back at pit bulls because she was attacked back in 2007.

    The data collected is from media reportings which is what created the bad rap pit bulls have today.

  6. #26
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    63,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope you're not pulling your sources from the bias sited created and ran by a person that is trying to get back at pit bulls because she was attacked back in 2007.

    The data collected is from media reportings which is what created the bad rap pit bulls have today.
    Media reporting of actual incidents. The site has an agenda but I don't see any reason to doubt their sources so far. I have more sources than that anyway.

    Here's another, Pits are responsible for 50% dog attacks on children treated at a hospital:

    https://journals.lww.com/plasreconsu...iew_of.28.aspx

  7. #27

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,914
    Pitbulls can be tamed right? If so the owners can be taught how to tame pitbulls before getting them.

  8. #28
    Saint of Killers Perun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SoDoSoPa
    Posts
    2,612
    Proud owner of an 12 year old female american staffordshire terrier(in the same bread group as the Pitbulls).I don't let her play with every dog(especially the small ones,because they are always barking and shit),while she plays with people and kids just fine.

  9. #29
    Banned Whitebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,572
    Aggresive breed. They should be kept restrained in public.

  10. #30
    Crispickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    45,224
    delete dogs


  11. #31
    Cafe Conqueror X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,223
    TFW Ultra wants to put more restrictions on dogs than he wants to on guns.



    The Commander From Hell

    We The North








  12. #32
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    63,737
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TFW Ultra wants to put more restrictions on dogs than he wants to on guns.

    Just trying to level the playing field

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Media reporting of actual incidents. The site has an agenda but I don't see any reason to doubt their sources so far. I have more sources than that anyway.

    Here's another, Pits are responsible for 50% dog attacks on children treated at a hospital:

    https://journals.lww.com/plasreconsu...iew_of.28.aspx
    Considering pit bulls consist of multiple breeds (which results in overestimation of bites) how would we go about banning them? Do we ban Pit Bull Terriers or are we banning any dog that looks like them? What does a veterinarian do if presented by a banned dog? Do they violate the law or their oath?

    I suggest you read this
    http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/colovma.sit...Year_Bite_.pdf
    Last edited by Reality; 05-12-2018 at 02:37 AM.

  14. #34
    Juan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,867
    My grandfather had a pitbull back before I was born.

    According to him, the dog almost bit his arm off while on a walk for no apparent reason.

    I don't like pitbulls, I have a Chihuahua and a Labrador though, and both are angels.

  15. #35
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    63,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Considering pit bulls consist of multiple breeds (which results in overestimation of bites) how would we go about banning them? Do we ban Pit Bull Terriers or are we banning any dog that looks like them? What does a veterinarian do if presented by a banned dog? Do they violate the law or their oath?

    I suggest you read this
    http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/colovma.sit...Year_Bite_.pdf
    This shows that shelter staff can identify pits with 96% accuracy, so it's not too complicated.

    I don't see why a vet would be breaking the law by treating a pit bull as being treated at a clinic does not imply ownership within the area it's banned in.

    I looked over the link - what are you trying to point out?

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This shows that shelter staff can identify pits with 96% accuracy, so it's not too complicated.

    I don't see why a vet would be breaking the law by treating a pit bull as being treated at a clinic does not imply ownership within the area it's banned in.

    I looked over the link - what are you trying to point out?
    The problem you seem to have with Pit Bull's is that they're far too aggressive. Except that when the American Temperament Test Society did a study Pit Bull's scored in the top 5 before Golden Retrievers, Collies, etc. Not to mention in another 5 year study of the 165 breeds that were reported in biting incidents Labrador Retriever's was the most reported at 11%.

    You're trying to justify a ban of Pit Bull's because you've seen the media say that they're dangerous and aggressive. Your opinion is backed even more when the top links that come up when you google information about pit bull's is a fancy site that is heavily biased against said dogs which only use media stories where people were mauled. You see the issue here? Pit bulls are portrayed a certain way and when people search to see if it's true they're lead to a site that only uses the media reports as a stat.

    Despite the fact that most Pit Bull's are likely to have an owner with a criminal record they still aren't even responsible for the most bites, they're responsible for most mauling because they're simply stronger than their counterparts but even then maulings and fatalities are an extremely rare thing.

    If we use your reasoning to ban dogs that are aggressive and dangerous (A stupid reason considering everything can be dangerous) there are plenty more dogs that meet and succeed that requirement than Pit Bulls.

    Also if all states eventually ban pit bull's another dog will eventually take it's spot and become the "new pit bull" it doesn't solve anything and it certainly doesn't solve the issue that is bad owners.

  17. #37
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    63,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem you seem to have with Pit Bull's is that they're far too aggressive. Except that when the American Temperament Test Society did a study Pit Bull's scored in the top 5 before Golden Retrievers, Collies, etc. Not to mention in another 5 year study of the 165 breeds that were reported in biting incidents Labrador Retriever's was the most reported at 11%.

    You're trying to justify a ban of Pit Bull's because you've seen the media say that they're dangerous and aggressive. Your opinion is backed even more when the top links that come up when you google information about pit bull's is a fancy site that is heavily biased against said dogs which only use media stories where people were mauled. You see the issue here? Pit bulls are portrayed a certain way and when people search to see if it's true they're lead to a site that only uses the media reports as a stat.

    Despite the fact that most Pit Bull's are likely to have an owner with a criminal record they still aren't even responsible for the most bites, they're responsible for most mauling because they're simply stronger than their counterparts but even then maulings and fatalities are an extremely rare thing.

    If we use your reasoning to ban dogs that are aggressive and dangerous (A stupid reason considering everything can be dangerous) there are plenty more dogs that meet and succeed that requirement than Pit Bulls.

    Also if all states eventually ban pit bull's another dog will eventually take it's spot and become the "new pit bull" it doesn't solve anything and it certainly doesn't solve the issue that is bad owners.
    I don't feel the American temperament test society is necessarily a reliable source from from what I've seen. Can't provide links now but basically if the results are in disagreement with the actual outcome I don't see how it supports the pro pit argument. Furthermore a pit's killing power is the main factor here not just its temperament.

    You're criticising a source I used and not looking at the others. Dog bites is just an aggregate site anyway. I have not seen a statistic yet that places dog bite fatalities as lower then 60 percent for pits, an overwhelming amount compared to other breeds.

    I have yet to see evidence that another dog can just "replace" pits because their temperament and danger is unique. Look at the link I provided earlier which shows NO incidents for years after a pit ban.

    It's biology and you're wrong

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't feel the American temperament test society is necessarily a reliable source from from what I've seen. Can't provide links now but basically if the results are in disagreement with the actual outcome I don't see how it supports the pro pit argument. Furthermore a pit's killing power is the main factor here not just its temperament.

    You're criticising a source I used and not looking at the others. Dog bites is just an aggregate site anyway. I have not seen a statistic yet that places dog bite fatalities as lower then 60 percent for pits, an overwhelming amount compared to other breeds.

    I have yet to see evidence that another dog can just "replace" pits because their temperament and danger is unique. Look at the link I provided earlier which shows NO incidents for years after a pit ban.

    It's biology and you're wrong
    How is it unreliable?

    Requirements to enter test:
    The Applicant must be at least 21 years of age and have five years of current experience in dogs. This should include activity in one, or preferably more, of the following:


    Agility
    Conformation
    Dog Grooming
    Herding
    Obedience
    Schutzhund (IPO)
    Search and Rescue
    Sledding
    Teaching
    Therapy
    Veterinarian
    Veterinary Assistant
    Other dog-related activities

    Notice that when a responsible dog owner is given a pit bull it does extremely well regardless of it's biology that makes it "aggressive".

    Your other sources are fine but like every other study that can only use reported incidents of course big dogs like pit bulls are going to be the most reported, smaller dogs won't do nearly as much damage that need reporting.

    As for the ban that "worked" there were never even any mauling that occurred before to prompt the ban, they put a ban on pits because of media. So yeah, pit bulls being allowed before the ban resulted in no bites inside that city so you're not making a strong case for banning pits and it doesn't prove that it works.
    Last edited by Reality; 05-13-2018 at 01:59 AM.

  19. #39
    Pit bulls are agressive, regardless of the owner. Even the most experienced trainers can't prevent the natural born killers from following their instincts. Making them house pets is simply stupid.

  20. #40
    Ink Spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Horn of Africa
    Posts
    13,286
    aren't they good as guard dogs?
    Last edited by Ink Spot; 05-15-2018 at 12:29 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •