Thread: Faction Kills

Faction Kills

There seems to be some debate on if a faction kill for the Mafia team should be an ability or not. Do you think that the Mafia team needs to always have someone carry out the faction kill like an ability? Does it make much of a difference if there isn't a role like Role Blocker included in Town's abilities?

The Commander From Hell

We The North

Faction kills carried out by mafia members is typically to lend strength to town power roles such as: Roleblocker/Jailer, Watcher, Tracker, etc.

Otherwise there is very little value in them.
    -The Great Swagzini

depends on the setup, i prefer it when it's the members that carry out the kills. easier to be creative in rolemadness when it's done like that too

Also, might I add, some mafia roles may have specific abilities to empower or augment the faction kill.

A Ninja would elude detection from trackers, watchers, and other variances of this kind of investigative nature.

A Strongman would disregard attempts to roleblock the faction kill or protect against it, oftentimes bypassing bulletproof too (making it almost unstoppable).

A Janitor can obviously obfuscate the identity of their victims. Though a lot of janitors exist as passive bonuses for their team and are virtually glorified goons.

Making a mafioso perform the faction kill just opens up a lot more interactions and gives great agency to such roles.
    -The Great Swagzini

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Swagzini View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Faction kills carried out by mafia members is typically to lend strength to town power roles such as: Roleblocker/Jailer, Watcher, Tracker, etc.

Otherwise there is very little value in them.
    -The Great Swagzini
    We typically assign faction kills and have them interact with watcher/tracker/jailer but there's debate over letting roleblocker actually interact in role madness set ups with multiple abilities where the strength of the role blocker already is sufficient enough by blocking abilities.

It's my preference to have the faction kill be performed by an individual. Now that I'm able to think about it from an aerial point of view, I guess the faction kill being a global kill could work for certain setups. To be honest though, making it a global kill puts the game in a level of uncertainty that I'm not comfortable with. Unless the host makes sure the setup includes the proper measures to ensure town can identify mafia through the roles, then I'd prefer an individual to go for the kill.
    Last edited by MadieV; 05-09-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We typically assign faction kills and have them interact with watcher/tracker/jailer but there's debate over letting roleblocker actually interact in role madness set ups with multiple abilities where the strength of the role blocker already is sufficient enough by blocking abilities.
    You can just attach a modifier to the block wherein it will fail if used to block a killing ability, I forget the exact term but that I think is a pretty good option if you think being able to block kills itself is too strong.

I think in general the less absolutes you have in Mafia the better. IMO it's just easier to process when a faction kill is made by a member of the Mafia team. Also if you have a Serial in the game, the Serial has someone making the kill, so giving the Mafia a Global kill in that case is a little unfair too I think.