Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Separating the creator from their work

With recent events and how Hollywood is known to be a messed up place period, are you capable of separating the person from their work? Charlie Sheen for example was rumored to have raped Corey Haim, but does that take away from his body of work as an actor for you? Basically, how much does the person involved and their personal lives affect their work to you?

In regards to Charlie Sheen, no. It's just a rumor after all. There are some instances where i don't like to watch certain movies such as the director of Jeepers Creepers Victor Salva who was convicted of sexually assaulting a 12 year old male actor who starred in one of his movies.
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In regards to Charlie Sheen, no. It's just a rumor after all. There are some instances where i don't like to watch certain movies such as the director of Jeepers Creepers Victor Salva who was convicted of sexually assaulting a 12 year old male actor who starred in one of his movies.
    Source
    the author of toriko was in prison for paying an underage girl for sex

Could care less tbh, I like good work and that's really all there is to it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    Could care less tbh, I like good work and that's really all there is to it for me.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoro
    "Hey staff, you're all faggots, especially X. MC is the least gay one. Bold, Void and Dofla are cool. Fuck Ichi. Pimp of Pimps I hope your starve to death faggot and give me my rep change bitch ass nigga. Hey GP, imma whoop that black ass next timelol"
    Post can be read here

So you are in favour of letting someone like Kevin spacey being a part of your daily TV?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrack View Post
    For paying or for having sex?

I'm not a magician, babe Wiskodeh's Avatar
    Would depend on what the work is tbh

if I was watching Icarly and Dan Schneider actually turned out to be a pedophile I don't think I could do it

Quote Originally Posted by Avito View Post
    So you are in favour of letting someone like Kevin spacey being a part of your daily TV?

- - - Updated - - -

For paying or for having sex?
    for paying, as far as i could find out he got arrested before he fucked her

Proud Follower of Allah Mercantilist's Avatar
    for paying, as far as i could find out he got arrested before he fucked her
    And here I was thinking he was a pedophile, but he got arrested before doing anything so all I see is a victim of the state

- - - Updated - - -

OT: Another question where the answer is it depends

Is it an artwork that's pretty much only interesting because of contextual influences and artists intention? Or is it aesthetically appreciated, or is the message so blatant that without author knowledge it's still functional?

Is the artist actually in the bloody medium (aka any actor?) I know for sure I can't watch HoC without Spacey cringe. Or any Polanski film ever.

It's tricky. After Chris Benoit's double murder and suicide in 2007, WWE essentially blacklisted him and haven't spoken his name on WWE programming since then. But Benoit was part of a lot of great moments and WWE ignore those too, which is a shame I think.

Usually I'm able to forget about real-life stuff when watching a Benoit match and just enjoy it for what it is, but I can understand WWE wanting to keep their name away from him.

Your kidding me? I had no idea. I like Toriko more than i like Jeepers Creepers so i will appreciate it from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    It's tricky. After Chris Benoit's double murder and suicide in 2007, WWE essentially blacklisted him and haven't spoken his name on WWE programming since then. But Benoit was part of a lot of great moments and WWE ignore those too, which is a shame I think.

Usually I'm able to forget about real-life stuff when watching a Benoit match and just enjoy it for what it is, but I can understand WWE wanting to keep their name away from him.
    I think this is a good example, and for me, one moment or mistake, especially in a situation like this where the person in question was not mentally fit, doesn't waver me too much. I am wary of other situations, though. Like, Lil Dicky just put out a song with Chris Brown and I'm still kind of shocked he's able to have a career after what he did to Rihanna.

The Commander From Hell

We The North

This. A lot of famous people have done outright terrible stuff but that don't affect the work itself.

Like if Toriyama was revealed to have done some bad stuff i would be disappointed in him but that wouldn't make me love DB any less.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ส็็็ Tendou's Avatar
    I generally try to gaze at art and entertainment with a disinterested eye, but if the artist were to do things that I consider vile then I don't see any reason to strain myself to gain pleasure from the creations of those who give me such a sense of displeasure.

Some would say that distanced consumption could serve as subversion, which might be true but once the initial disharmony of being repulsed by the creator occurs, then the desire to engage with the content is lost on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    You wouldn't understand the substance. (under-sub; stand-stance)
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon T.O.P. View Post
    Calling someone a nigger is not racist.
    "As I watched top with a bashful smile, all I could do was bitterly laugh. His Dao of absurdity and anti-grammar had reached a level beyond my comprehension. "Dealth" was myy only fate."
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Tendou View Post
    I generally try to gaze at art and entertainment with a disinterested eye, but if the artist were to do things that I consider vile then I don't see any reason to strain myself to gain pleasure from the creations of those who give me such a sense of displeasure.

Some would say that distanced consumption could serve as subversion, which might be true but once the initial disharmony of being repulsed by the creator occurs, then the desire to engage with the content is lost on me.
    Tendou, what's wrong? You're...you're typing with capital letters...

Often I can look past whatever disagreements or feelings I have about an actor to enjoy their work. Sometimes I can't, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Often I can look past whatever disagreements or feelings I have about an actor to enjoy their work. Sometimes I can't, though.
    Any examples?

And how do you feel about creatives like comic book artists or manga artists who have had more than their fair share of atrocities?

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ส็็็ Tendou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye’s Cousin View Post
    Tendou, what's wrong? You're...you're typing with capital letters...
    On a mobile rn lol

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    You wouldn't understand the substance. (under-sub; stand-stance)
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon T.O.P. View Post
    Calling someone a nigger is not racist.
    "As I watched top with a bashful smile, all I could do was bitterly laugh. His Dao of absurdity and anti-grammar had reached a level beyond my comprehension. "Dealth" was myy only fate."
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye’s Cousin View Post
    Any examples?

And how do you feel about creatives like comic book artists or manga artists who have had more than their fair share of atrocities?
    Actors such as Kurt Russel, Mel Gibson, or Jim Carrey I can enjoy despite the crazy. Several artists and writers in comics can have pretty wild and varying opinions, and comics is a unique environment where people look to hate each other for the smallest reasons. For the most part when writers and artists start to aim and become more than their work it becomes harder to not see their work and not think of them. Often though, most of it is unnoticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Actors such as Kurt Russel, Mel Gibson, or Jim Carrey I can enjoy despite the crazy. Several artists and writers in comics can have pretty wild and varying opinions, and comics is a unique environment where people look to hate each other for the smallest reasons. For the most part when writers and artists start to aim and become more than their work it becomes harder to not see their work and not think of them. Often though, most of it is unnoticeable.
    I'm talking about if there are legit pedophiles and crooks behind that pen. For example, forgive the ignorance but wasn't Stan Lee accused of molesting his nurses and trying to coerce them into giving him blowjobs? Let's say that was legit. Would you still enjoy his works, and if not his then any comic book writer you enjoy?