Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Cafe Conqueror X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,695

    List Of Active Abilities

    Alright, here's a list of some active abilities people might want to use in their games if they run out of ideas. If there is anything not on the list, please feel free to mention it and we can add it.

    Active Abilities

    Bodyguard: If the Target is targeted by any abilities, the Bodyguard will instead take the Target's place.

    Broadcaster: During the following Day, a message written by the Broadcaster will be posted by the Host. The identity of the Broadcaster will not be revealed.

    Bus Driver: All actions targeting the first Target that Night affect the second Target instead, and vice versa. An ability redirected in this manner onto an invalid target (such as causing an action to self-target when said ability cannot self-target) fails instead.

    Commuter: The Commuter is immune to all other effects for the Night, however, the Commuter may not take any other action for the Night.

    Converter: The Target is recruited, gaining the alignment of the Converter.

    Cop: The Cop receives "innocent" if the Target is Town-aligned, or "guilty" otherwise.

    Coroner: The Coroner receives some amount of flavor regarding the nature of the Target's death, sometimes including which character killed the Target. The exact nature of these results vary by game.

    Delegator: The Primary Target gains a One-Shot version of the Target.

    Doctor: The Target is immune to kills for the Night.

    Drug Dealer: A Drug Dealer starts with a series of predefined items, which can grant active and/or passive abilities. The number and nature of predefined items vary by game.

    Eraser: The Target loses all active and passive abilities and gains Vanilla.

    Forensic Investigator: The Forensic Investigator receives each player that has ever targete* the Target, as well as each player ever targeted by the Target.

    Framer: The Target will appear Guilty if investigated.

    Giver: The Target gains an ability. What ability and the duration of this ability vary by game.

    Governor: The lynch against the Target fails, and Day ends in a No Lynch.

    Grave Robber: The Grave Robber loses all current active and passive abilities, except for Grave Robber, and gains all active and/or passive abilities of the dead Target.

    Interrogator: The Target's active abilities automatically fail that Night. The Interrogator receives "innocent" if the Target is Town-aligned, or "guilty" otherwise.

    Inventor: An Inventor starts with a series of predefined items, which can grant active and/or passive abilities. The number and nature of predefined items vary by game.

    Jack of All Trades: The Jack of All Trades has four One-Shot abilities.

    Jailer: The Target is protected from any Night abilities but also cannot use any of their own Night abilities.

    Janitor: Any information regarding the Target that is killed will not be displayed in the write-up.

    Journalist: The Journalist can ask true or false questions to the Target and receives "true" if every part of the Target was true at the time of being said, or "false" otherwise.

    Kleptomaniac: The Target loses one active or passive ability, determined at random, and the Kleptomaniac gains that ability.

    Lie Detector: The Lie Detector can determine whether the Target's statement was true or false.

    Lightning Rod: All actions, regardless of whom they are targeting that Night, affect the Lightning Rod instead.

    Masochist: The Target, regardless of whom it is targeting that Night, affects the Masochist instead.
    Aside: Because this ability clashes somewhat with survival victory, a Masochist with a survival win condition often has an alternate win condition wherein dying as a result of targeting a player of an opposing alignment allows the Masochist to win as an Independent.

    Mayor: The Target gains Unlynchable for the Day.

    Messenger: The Target will receive a message written by the Messenger from the Host. Whether the identity of the Messenger is revealed varies by game.

    Mimic: The Mimic gains any passive or active abilities that the Target has. The Mimic retains these abilities without having to take further action until the Mimic either chooses a new Target or dies.

    Mirror: All actions targeting the Buck Passer that Night affect the Target instead. An ability redirected in this manner onto an invalid target (such as causing an action to self-target when said ability cannot self-target) fails instead.

    Neighbor: The Neighbor may invite a Target to join a private conversation.

    Observer: The Observer receives the name of each player that affected the Target that Night, as well as the name of each player affected by the Target that Night.

    Oracle: The Oracle receives a list of abilities for the Target.

    Poisoner: The Target will die after a predefined number of phases.

    Politician: The first Target's vote is counted towards the second Target for the duration of the following Day, regardless of attempts to change said vote.

    Redirector: The first Target, regardless of whom they were targeting that night, affects the second Target.

    Restrictor: The Target gains Post Restricted for the following Day.

    Reviver: The Target returns to life.

    Role Cop: The Role Cop receives the role (character, alignment, and abilities) of the Target.

    Roleblocker: The Target's active abilities automatically fail that Night.

    Spy: The Spy receives "yes" if the Target used an active ability that Night, or "no" otherwise.

    Suicide Bomber: The Target is killed by the Suicide Bomber and the Suicide Bomber dies.

    Tracker: The Tracker receives the name of each player affected by the Target that Night.

    Vigilante: The Target is killed by the Vigilante.

    Vote Booster: The Target's vote counts for one more for the following Day.

    Vote Drainer: The Target's vote counts for one less for the following Day.

    Vote Locker: The Target is unable to unvote for the following Day.

    Vote Stealer: The Target's vote counts for one less the following Day, and the Executive's vote counts for one more the following Day.

    Voyeur: The Voyeur receives a list of abilities that affected the Target that Night.

    Watcher: The Watcher receives the name of each player that affected* the Target that Night.
    Last edited by X; 04-06-2018 at 02:39 PM.


    The Commander From Hell

    We The North








  2. #2
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    63,437
    This is copied straight from OJ isn't it.

    We should probably forget about theirs and start from scratch because honestly their role names and descriptions are weird and kinda suck

    Sample from here:

    https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php...oles_Main_Page

    and here:

    https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...ulti-targeting


    Each role should also be formatted as a role pm so you can easily copy/paste

    [Active – Cop] : Each night phase, you may attempt to investigate a player. You will get results of the form Innocent/Guilty.
    Here are some of the main roles formatted for a role pm.

    [Active – Doctor] : Each night phase, you may heal a player and attempt to protect them from getting night killed.

    [Active – Vigilante] : Each night phase, you may attempt to kill a target of your choice.

    [Active – Tracker] : Each night phase, you may investigate a player and you will discover which player they targeted (if any).

    [Active – Bodyguard] : Each night phase, you may choose to protect a target of your choice. If your target is attacked, you will kill the attacker and die in the process.

    [Active – Roleblocker] : Each night phase, you may attempt to block another player from performing their own action (if any).

    [Active – Watcher] : Each night phase, you may watch a player of your choice. You will discover who targeted them (if any).

    I'll take this on in a bit and get all the basic roles up
    Last edited by Ultra; 04-06-2018 at 05:34 AM.

  3. #3
    Alchemist Avito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    India
    Posts
    209
    This section has seen all kind of renovation in past few days, I wonder what caused it

  4. #4
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    63,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Avito View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This section has seen all kind of renovation in past few days, I wonder what caused it
    Me.

  5. #5
    Rotaretilbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    41
    I definitely am surprised to see obscure roles like Body Changer, Broadcaster and Drug Dealer on the list. Most of those were one-off terms that I added to the terms list cuz why not. I don't think the Drug Dealer role ever even saw play.

  6. #6
    Alchemist Avito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    India
    Posts
    209
    One question @Rotaretilbo; in doctor's role it's says kills but I have seen target dieing when targeted by multiple kill actions even though protected by doc how come

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me.
    Well in a way yes

  7. #7
    Rotaretilbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Avito View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One question @Rotaretilbo; in doctor's role it's says kills but I have seen target dieing when targeted by multiple kill actions even though protected by doc how come
    Because no one actually agrees on what any of these terms actually mean, how actions resolve, etc.

    Case in point, both @X and @Ultra gave a very different definition of Bodyguard, and I would give a third. The former I don't really have a term for, though I really ought to, and the latter is what I'd define as a Guardian Bomb.

    It's kind of a shame, really. One of my goals when I first instituted standardized terminology in like 2009 was to try and eliminate confusion regarding the Bodyguard role, which at the time had like half a dozen possible definitions. But sadly, the Bodyguard/Guardian distinction never catches on, even while people retain a lot of my dumber role ideas.

  8. #8
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    63,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotaretilbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because no one actually agrees on what any of these terms actually mean, how actions resolve, etc.

    Case in point, both @X and @Ultra gave a very different definition of Bodyguard, and I would give a third. The former I don't really have a term for, though I really ought to, and the latter is what I'd define as a Guardian Bomb.

    It's kind of a shame, really. One of my goals when I first instituted standardized terminology in like 2009 was to try and eliminate confusion regarding the Bodyguard role, which at the time had like half a dozen possible definitions. But sadly, the Bodyguard/Guardian distinction never catches on, even while people retain a lot of my dumber role ideas.
    And even I disagree with the OP definition because I think bodyguard means just blocking kills

  9. #9
    Cafe Conqueror X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotaretilbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I definitely am surprised to see obscure roles like Body Changer, Broadcaster and Drug Dealer on the list. Most of those were one-off terms that I added to the terms list cuz why not. I don't think the Drug Dealer role ever even saw play.
    Drug Dealer and Broadcaster we've actually used a few times here. @Ultra; I changed a lot of the definitions so they made sense to what we've seen here and I included a few different ones. But again, you're the Mod now so you are free to change things up as you see fit; I just started it.


    The Commander From Hell

    We The North








  10. #10
    Ultimate Cook A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,752
    Good thread, X.


    I'm a bit disappointed that we've never seen a lie detector role used to catch mafia on TMF before. I hope this happens one day.

  11. #11
    Rotaretilbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Drug Dealer and Broadcaster we've actually used a few times here.
    I mean, I'm certainly surprised to hear that.

    I made the Drug Dealer role back when I was obsessed with creating Reckless versions of standard roles - Bartender for Cop, Dentist for Doctor, Sadist for Roleblocker, etc. And then I slowly started phasing those out when I realized how much I disliked RNG elements within the game. Bartender was retooled such that it investigated, but also killed if the target used certain kinds of abilities that Night (offense-oriented abilities, such as Preventative and Destructive). Sadist basically only ever appears in my games as a pair of Neighborhood Sadists, and I've pretty much stopped featuring Dentist altogether. Drug Dealer's primary mechanic and distinguishing feature from Inventor was a negative RNG element to his gifts, and it didn't seem like I could meaningfully retool it to not feature that RNG element, so I essentially dropped it.

    Broadcaster is a neat concept which I've never personally used, but that I have seen used elsewhere. I can't remember if I coined the term to describe a role I saw, or if the host of the game coined the term.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And even I disagree with the OP definition because I think bodyguard means just blocking kills
    Your definition is closer to mine. I define a Bodyguard as someone who protects his target and kills attackers. I define a Guardian as someone who dies in his target's place. I define a Bomb as someone who kills his own attacker. Thus, I have distinct terms for the three most common forms of MafiaScum Bodyguard.

    I really do need a term for a Bodyguard- or Guardian-style role that applies to more than just kills, though.

    Anyway, I'd probably define the "basic" roles of mafia to be:

    • Actives
      • Bodyguard (protects target; kills any attackers)
      • Bus Driver (switches targets)
      • Commuter (can choose to be Untouchable for a Night)
      • Converter (changes alignment of target; static)
      • Cop (investigates alignment)
      • Deputy (Backup Cop)
      • Doctor (protects target)
      • Executioner (can trigger a lynch early; requires certain number of votes)
      • Executive (steals target's vote for a Day)
      • Flavor Cop (catch-all for investigating flavor shit)
      • Framer (makes target investigate opposite normal for a Night)
      • Freeloader (immune to abilities, except from target; affected by anything that hits target)
      • Godfather (kills target; inherited)
      • Governor (stops a lynch)
      • Guardian (dies in place of target)
      • Hider (immune to kills, except from target; dies if target is killed)
      • Hitman (kills target; static)
      • Interrogator (Cop + Roleblocker)
      • Inventor (gives people shit, like One-Shot abilities or whatever)
      • Isolator (Roleblocker + protects target from all abilities)
      • Jack of All Trades (One-Shot Cop, One-Shot Doctor, One-Shot Roleblocker, One-Shot Vigilante)
      • Jailer (Doctor + Roleblocker)
      • Janitor (if target dies, target's role is not revealed upon death)
      • Killer (same as Hitman, but for Serial)
      • Leader (changes alignment of target; inherited)
      • Lie Detector (can determine if a statement is true or false)
      • Motivator (allows target to act again that Night)
      • Name Cop (learns target's character name)
      • Nexus (can choose to be Mirror for a Night)
      • Nurse (Backup Doctor)
      • Observer (Tracker + Watcher)
      • Paramedic (Cop + Doctor)
      • Poisoner (target will die later)
      • Politician (force target to vote a certain way)
      • Redirector (force target to use their action on a certain player; fails if target abstains)
      • Reviver (brings target back to life)
      • Role Cop (learns target's character and abilities)
      • Roleblocker (blocks target's actions)
      • Sidekick (Backup Vigilante)
      • Thief (similar to Flavor Cop)
      • Tracker (learns who target used actions on)
      • Turtle (can choose to be Iron for a Night)
      • Vigilante (kills target; Town-aligned)
      • Vote Drainer (target loses a vote for a Day)
      • Watcher (learns who used actions on target)
      • Wingman (Backup Roleblocker)
    • Passives
      • Alternating (this ability can only be used on either odd Nights or even Nights)
      • Backup (this ability doesn't work until someone else with that ability dies)
      • Beloved (Day is skipped if this player dies)
      • Bomb (kills attacker if this player dies to a kill)
      • Burst (this ability cannot be used for a while after being used)
      • Delayed (this ability doesn't work until later)
      • Enabler (someone else's ability only works while this player is alive)
      • Fading (this ability stops working after a while)
      • Ghost (this player investigates opposite of normal; for normally "guilty")
      • Informed (this player knows something about the setup)
      • Inhibitor (someone else's ability doesn't work while this player is alive)
      • Interval (Alternating, but with more than one doesn't-work Night between each works Night)
      • Invisible (investigations fail on this player)
      • Iron (kills fail on this player)
      • Kamikaze (kills the hammer voter when this player is lynched)
      • Lover (this player dies if a specific other player dies)
      • Masonic (this player is able to communicate with certain others outside of the game thread without being Scum together)
      • Miller (this player investigates opposite of normal; for normally "innocent")
      • Mirror (abilities targeting this player are reflected back on their user instead)
      • Ninja (this player doesn't show up on Tracker or Watcher results)
      • Overeager (this ability cannot be abstained; must be used every Night is is available)
      • Peasant (this player's vote doesn't count)
      • Perfectionist (this ability takes a while to actually happen)
      • Territorial (this player kills anyone that visits them)
      • Unlynchable (this player cannot be lynched)
      • Unstoppable (this ability cannot fail; it can still be redirected though)
      • Untouchable (this player is immune to all actions)
      • X-Shot (this ability can only be used X times before it stops working)
      • Sanity (Sane means normal, Insane means opposite, Naïve means always innocent, Paranoid means always guilty)

  12. #12
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    63,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good thread, X.


    I'm a bit disappointed that we've never seen a lie detector role used to catch mafia on TMF before. I hope this happens one day.
    It's just way too overpowered. Cop is already pretty powerful but at least you can argue you were framed or roleblocked or something.

    Lie detector should either be a one shot or perhaps you can alter it to be a bit like Oracle - where you can target several posts and lie detect all of them at once but not know which contains a lie

  13. #13
    Ultimate Cook A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's just way too overpowered. Cop is already pretty powerful but at least you can argue you were framed or roleblocked or something.

    Lie detector should either be a one shot or perhaps you can alter it to be a bit like Oracle - where you can target several posts and lie detect all of them at once but not know which contains a lie
    Good point, I can't argue that.

  14. #14
    Rotaretilbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's just way too overpowered. Cop is already pretty powerful but at least you can argue you were framed or roleblocked or something.

    Lie detector should either be a one shot or perhaps you can alter it to be a bit like Oracle - where you can target several posts and lie detect all of them at once but not know which contains a lie
    The typical restriction I saw in play back in the day was, if the Lie Detector revealed himself to be one, or if someone guessed that he was one, he lost the ability. We were pretty strict about that, back in the day, so you had to be subtle about it. Couldn't just be like "alright, everyone line up and state your wincon" or obvious shit like that.

    These days, I'm not a big fan of post restrictions like that, because they're too vague and easily abused. To that end, I treat Lie Detector much the same way I treat Reviver: basically never use it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •