Thread: Role Revealing

Role Revealing

What do you guys think about role revealing in games? Personally, I don't like it and I think if a host allows it in their games, they should prepare scum with a fake role/ability to be able to claim.

The Commander From Hell

We The North

Character claiming should be neutralized somehow by either fake claims or just making the characters not alignment indicative because otherwise the game is just full of gay angleshooting.

I think that ability claiming is a staple of mafia, being one of the fundamental elements of discussion that drives the game.

I think that character claiming is an important element of mafia, because it gives players something to talk about early, and thus allows for a lot more meaningful discussion by which reads can be generated. That said, games that allow character claiming need to be constructed with claiming in mind, because it is very possible (and even tempting for new hosts) to create setups where a mass character claim can essentially break the game. I've found that the best ways to structure games around character claiming are to ensure that at least one or two "major" Town-aligned characters are excluded, while also including at least one or two "minor" Town-aligned characters, so that the weight of a character's involvement in the source material's narrative alone is not absolute confirmation of their presence in the game. This can be further supplemented by safe claims (that is, host provided fake claims which are guaranteed to not be counterclaimed), though I wouldn't consider them intrinsically necessary if the first measure outlined is followed. The example I typically give is Fellowship of the Ring; in such a game where the forces of Sauron are Scum, including all 9 members of the Fellowship creates a situation where a mass claim can create an indomitable bloc of confirmed Town, and so it is necessary to exclude one or two and including some more minor characters to create a better sense of uncertainty regarding character claims.

I don't understand why town reveal in early stages of the game, all it does is help mafia. You should only reveal if you have the majority vote and are about to be lynched.

The main mechanisms behind countering role-revealing includes but is not limited to the following:

-A completely closed game set-up.
    -In themed games, flavor not dictating alignment (villains can be town, heroes can be mafia, etc.)
    -Vanilla Townies/Generics in traditional games.
    -Access to a Janitor for Mafia
    -A 'Death Note' like ability that punishes revealing heavily
    -Role interactions that may benefit from reveals
    -Fake claims provided to scum.

Revealing is a fundamental quality of driving the discussion in games, but doing so should be a calculated play. The onus is on the host of the game to design a balanced setup that cannot be broken or have the balance excessively swung by chain reveals.
    -The Great Swagzini

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Swagzini View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    -A 'Death Note' like ability that punishes revealing heavily
    Why is it called a death note?

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    Why is it called a death note?
    It's named after the eponymous item in the manga/anime 'Death Note', a notebook that allows its author to kill someone so long as they write down that person's name with a clear mental image of their face.

The most common way this is turned into a mechanic in a mafia game is an anti-town killer will be given some kind of ability that allows them a kill that bypasses normal defenses (protections, bulletproof, etc.) if they know the role of the player they are performing it on.
    -The Great Swagzini

Role revealing should be banned, specially in a particular series role madness, when there is both good side and bad side, coz its pretty for town to claim to get town pass. Even if claiming is allowed, at least give reasonable fake roles to the mafias.

I don't understand why town reveal in early stages of the game, all it does is help mafia. You should only reveal if you have the majority vote and are about to be lynched.
    This is funny coming from you

Quote Originally Posted by Ink Spot View Post
    This is funny coming from you
    The past is the past.

The past is the past.
    Bruh it was 2 games ago

Quote Originally Posted by Ink Spot View Post
    Bruh it was 2 games ago