King of Heroes

A Tolkien-verse FFA :

The participants are Sauron, Gothmog, Ancalagon and Glaurung. All of them are at peak strength with no buffs or nerfs and they are at Mordor, situated 500m away from each other. Who is the last one standing?

Sauron no doubt. Sauron was stated to be Morgoth's strongest servant in the books - and it was before Sauron got the "One Ring".

Otherwise, it's a tossup between Ancalagon(The strongest dragon) vs Gothmog(the strongest balrog). While Gothmog has better feats, Ancalagon looks like he is the stronger one.

Glaurung is weaker than both of them. Despite being the "Father of dragons", it was quite obvious that Ancalagon was above him.

In other words, it's like this:

Sauron with the One Ring > Sauron > Ancalagon >= Gothmog > Glaurung
    (I put Ancalagon slightly above Gothmog due to his hype, but granted, it might be my dragon bias)

Gothmog was stated to be Morgoths strongest subordinate after Sauron, which by default puts him above Ancalagon.

Gothmog also has a more impressive feat of fighting Feanor on even terms while Ancalagon was slain by someone weaker in Earendil

Not everyone dies because they want to die.

Most of them die against their will

Quote Originally Posted by ReXDrake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gothmog was stated to be Morgoths strongest subordinate after Sauron, which by default puts him above Ancalagon.

Gothmog also has a more impressive feat of fighting Feanor on even terms while Ancalagon was slain by someone weaker in Earendil
    You have to keep in mind though, that Ancalagon appeared far later in the 1st age than gothmog. At the time Gothmog definetly was Morgoths 2nd strongest subordinate, because Ancalagon was created/bred later on.

Having said all that, yeah, Gothmog does have better feats - I told this beforehand. We still cannot properly gauge how strong Ancalagon is due to his "late" appearance.

King of Heroes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Torch View Post
    Sauron no doubt. Sauron was stated to be Morgoth's strongest servant in the books - and it was before Sauron got the "One Ring".

Otherwise, it's a tossup between Ancalagon(The strongest dragon) vs Gothmog(the strongest balrog). While Gothmog has better feats, Ancalagon looks like he is the stronger one.

Glaurung is weaker than both of them. Despite being the "Father of dragons", it was quite obvious that Ancalagon was above him.

In other words, it's like this:

Sauron with the One Ring > Sauron > Ancalagon >= Gothmog > Glaurung
    (I put Ancalagon slightly above Gothmog due to his hype, but granted, it might be my dragon bias)
    He wasn't stated to be the strongest but the greatest, this could mean anything. He was known as The Deceiver so its likely he was mainly involved in military or strategic matters, management of his fortresses etc rather than combating in the field (which Gothmog was notorious for) or just his innate power as a Maiar which doesn't necessarily equal to combat skill. Also both of the times he fought he lost (against Luthien and Huan and then against Elendil and Gil-galad) and he wasn't nerfed either time. IIRC even Tolkien stated his forte was his deception.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReXDrake View Post

Earendil had the aid of a bunch of several other powerful elves, the Great Eagles including Thorondor and a Silmaril as well, which if I remember contained the power of the stars.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I doubt his firepower will work on Gothmog anyways but he might edge it out because of his sheer size and the raw destruction he can cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos2000 View Post
    He wasn't stated to be the strongest but the greatest, this could mean anything. He was known as The Deceiver so its likely he was mainly involved in military or strategic matters, management of his fortresses etc rather than combating in the field (which Gothmog was notorious for) or just his innate power as a Maiar which doesn't necessarily equal to combat skill. Also both of the times he fought he lost (against Luthien and Huan and then against Elendil and Gil-galad) and he wasn't nerfed either time. IIRC even Tolkien stated his forte was his deception.

- - - Updated - - -

Earendil had the aid of a bunch of several other powerful elves, the Great Eagles including Thorondor and a Silmaril as well, which if I remember contained the power of the stars.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I doubt his firepower will work on Gothmog anyways but he might edge it out because of his sheer size and the raw destruction he can cause.
    Its been almost 7 years since I read the Silmarillion, but I thought Ancalagon was being backed by an entire army of dragons, and that he was killed by Earendil alone

Not everyone dies because they want to die.

Most of them die against their will

I'm not a magician, babe Wiskodeh's Avatar
    Kinda feel inclined towards Anc