Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm not a magician, babe Wiskodeh's Avatar

What Makes Kingdom Good?

Title

What makes this series so good exactly?
    Last edited by Wiskodeh; 03-13-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Halfway tempted to change the title of this thread.

Lots of epicness in diverse forms (combat, strategy and even politics)
    Lots of remarkable characters
    Easy to follow despite having a complex theme
    Very addictive when read in bulk but also very exciting when followed weekly. It really gives you that feeling that it's worth the whole week waiting (well, most of the time)

Amazing characters.

Everything else than character over reacting to stuff.

- The art is excellent for a weekly manga. A bit too dark nowadays. Prefered it during coalition.
    - Tons of interesting secondary characters
    - Very interesting plot with many possible developments even if we somehow know Shin will succeed in achieving his dream.
    - A good balance between Seinen and Shonen but I miss Ryofui's schemes and the queen's sex scenes. A bit too shonenish right now.
    Last edited by Whysoserious; 03-13-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Halfway tempted to change the title of this thread.
    Is something wrong it

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskodeh View Post
    Is something wrong it
    Nah. Since it was in my section I almost just changed it to, "What MAKes Kingdom Good?"

I like the whole war theme and following a mc who starts as a mere foot soldier working his way up to a general. Seeing his army grow stronger and stronger kind of gives you OP vibes and how Luffy strengthened his crew. I also love the way the battles are done. The tactics involved and in what detail every action on the battlefield is explained. Then the characters and art are exceptionally good as well.

First fifty or so chapters are pretty good. Nothing outstanding, but it was enough to get me intrigued in Kingdom. It's when we reach Bayou that the series begins to fire on all cylinders:

- It's when the art really steps up in quality and we get some incredible shots of the battle (highlights including Shin jumping at Fuuki, Ouki vs Houken and Ouki's passing). Also Kyoukai actually looks like a chick for the first time.

- It's when we realise how fucking badass and amazing Ouki truly is, and is the beginning of a long line of Generals Hara creates that can steal a scene just by showing up. Not to mention they all have wildly differing personalities and ways of warfare, thus avoiding the pitfall of repetitive battles.

- It's when we see how insignificant Shin is in the grand scheme of things, and how far away his dream was. He had some good accomplishments, sure, but Qin wasn't going to win no matter how hard he tried, and it's always smart to give your MC some losses so he has room for imrpovement.

- This is the only series I've read that's shown 'realistic' warfare. Marineford was a war kinda, but really it was just the strongest characters hitting each other as hard as they could. Bayou also has raw fights, but also strategy and tactics that allow the weaker characters to shine. It even spans multiple days so we can see how warfare changes at nighttime.

Hara continues to let these aspects among others shine, and even manages to polish them, throughout Sanyou and Coalition War, which along with Bayou make up like 250 chapters, which is a pretty amazing streak of quality for a manga of this scale. It took a dip afterwards, but I think the series is regaining that old quality in the current arc. Hara isn't satisfied with just that however; he even manages to build upon the themes of previous arcs. For example, the natural progession of Shin, from a mere 100 man commander, to now a major player in this war, after years of experiences and hardships that we've seen him go through, is a very satisfying payoff and not something I've seen another manga pull off this successfully.

This is the first time I've tried putting my enjoyment of this series into words so I bet I'm missing a lot, but that's the gist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    First fifty or so chapters are pretty good. Nothing outstanding, but it was enough to get me intrigued in Kingdom. It's when we reach Bayou that the series begins to fire on all cylinders:

- It's when the art really steps up in quality and we get some incredible shots of the battle (highlights including Shin jumping at Fuuki, Ouki vs Houken and Ouki's passing). Also Kyoukai actually looks like a chick for the first time.

- It's when we realise how fucking badass and amazing Ouki truly is, and is the beginning of a long line of Generals Hara creates that can steal a scene just by showing up. Not to mention they all have wildly differing personalities and ways of warfare, thus avoiding the pitfall of repetitive battles.

- It's when we see how insignificant Shin is in the grand scheme of things, and how far away his dream was. He had some good accomplishments, sure, but Qin wasn't going to win no matter how hard he tried, and it's always smart to give your MC some losses so he has room for imrpovement.

- This is the only series I've read that's shown 'realistic' warfare. Marineford was a war kinda, but really it was just the strongest characters hitting each other as hard as they could. Bayou also has raw fights, but also strategy and tactics that allow the weaker characters to shine. It even spans multiple days so we can see how warfare changes at nighttime.

Hara continues to let these aspects among others shine, and even manages to polish them, throughout Sanyou and Coalition War, which along with Bayou make up like 250 chapters, which is a pretty amazing streak of quality for a manga of this scale. It took a dip afterwards, but I think the series is regaining that old quality in the current arc. Hara isn't satisfied with just that however; he even manages to build upon the themes of previous arcs. For example, the natural progession of Shin, from a mere 100 man commander, to now a major player in this war, after years of experiences and hardships that we've seen him go through, is a very satisfying payoff and not something I've seen another manga pull off this successfully.

This is the first time I've tried putting my enjoyment of this series into words so I bet I'm missing a lot, but that's the gist of it.
    ok who did you copy this from

Quote Originally Posted by Crispickle View Post
    You got me.

Duke sent me an inspiring PM about why he loves Kingdom so much, what I posted is a mere fraction of it.

After i finish HXH

I am reading this.

The hair style of rinbukun and Kamnei.
    one is like a pair of horns and the other is like a crab.

It's like Dynasty Warriors or RoTK in manga form, I love it.

Which is funny because the manga that is actually about the Three Kingdoms era (ravages of time) doesn't have the same feel at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Nah. Since it was in my section I almost just changed it to, "What MAKes Kingdom Good?"
    Hmph

Kingdom is just flawless

Quote Originally Posted by Pirao View Post
    It's like Dynasty Warriors or RoTK in manga form, I love it.

Which is funny because the manga that is actually about the Three Kingdoms era (ravages of time) doesn't have the same feel at all.
    Maybe because RoT has a bad art style

Quote Originally Posted by Crispickle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    You got me.

Duke sent me an inspiring PM about why he loves Kingdom so much, what I posted is a mere fraction of it.
    tfw duke actually does have pm convos with people like he says

tfw duke can do great things but he chooses the dark side of the force

Quote Originally Posted by Guan Yu View Post
    I took a look at some pages. It has very good panels of individuals but the units pannels are horrible, you cant understand whats going on

Quote Originally Posted by Guan Yu View Post
    Nah, I actually find the RoT art ok. It's more the whole Sima family as a secret clan of assasins and whatnot that was not to my liking.

I'm anxiously awating Three Kingdoms total war though, if they make the generals capable of killing entire units like in Warhammer it's gonna be a pretty Kingdom-ish game.