Leaders of each Golden Kamuy faction

What do you guys think of the leaders of each of the three major factions gunning for the gold? How do Sugimoto, Tsurumi and Hijikata stack up to each other in terms of motivation/goals and leadership? Which one seems the most interesting and/or sympathizeable?

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    I think Hijikata is the most natural leader, followed by Sugimoto, and finally by Tsurumi.

In terms of goals? Most ambition is Hijikata, then Tsurumi, then Sugimoto.

Most interesting is probably Tsurumi, then Sugimoto, then Hijikata. Maybe Sugimoto at the front since the war has affected him in unique ways.

Sympathy wise is Sugimoto, then Hijikata, and finally Tsurumi.

It's pretty nice that each leader has strengths and weaknesses that give them something interesting beyond, "I WANT THAT!"

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Hijikata is the most natural leader, followed by Sugimoto, and finally by Tsurumi.

In terms of goals? Most ambition is Hijikata, then Tsurumi, then Sugimoto.

Most interesting is probably Tsurumi, then Sugimoto, then Hijikata. Maybe Sugimoto at the front since the war has affected him in unique ways.

Sympathy wise is Sugimoto, then Hijikata, and finally Tsurumi.

It's pretty nice that each leader has strengths and weaknesses that give them something interesting beyond, "I WANT THAT!"
    Tsurumi last in natural leader hmm? I expected Sugimoto tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    Tsurumi last in natural leader hmm? I expected Sugimoto tbh
    People are attracted to Sugimoto where Tsurumi has issues with loyalty.

People are attracted to Sugimoto where Tsurumi has issues with loyalty.
    I imagine that's because Tsurumi tries to get competent people at the cost of loyalty, like Ogata but seeing as how the tan man and mole man are fanatic about him, he's not too shabby.

I imagine that's because Tsurumi tries to get competent people at the cost of loyalty, like Ogata but seeing as how the tan man and mole man are fanatic about him, he's not too shabby.
    Yeah, but that's just him getting crazy people.

Sugimoto has attracted more relatively normal people to his side.

Yeah, but that's just him getting crazy people.

Sugimoto has attracted more relatively normal people to his side.
    dunno about that, Shiraishi is pretty crazy

dunno about that, Shiraishi is pretty crazy
    More crazy or more dumb?

More crazy or more dumb?

got into multiple prisons and broke out of them just so he could meet that nun, you tell me

got into multiple prisons and broke out of them just so he could meet that nun, you tell me
    Still can't escape a basic fox trap.

I like how this series kinda portray the 3 of them as equal in a different path.

The author draw the paralel that all 3 of them are stuck in their past which ended up being their motivation. All three of them are interesting on their own way. The military man who wants to do a coup d'etat, a criminal who fights because of his loyalty and the protagonist is just chasing gold for his personal gain. The manga pretty much throw out normal reasoning, justice talk and shounen shit to the trash bin and yet makes a great conflict out of those personal motivations. There's nothing noble, thinking on a country scale or just a single human, in the end everyone is just fighting for their own petty reason because something in their past chain them to it.

for leadership, Hijikata is leading his people with his charisma. He pretty much only doing it to achieve his own ambition, and yet he managed to make a lot of different people, with their own quirk, working together. Ashibari prison break is a really great way to showcase how absurdly good he is at leading different people to work together for his aim imo. While some people might want to join in because of the gold, it's hard to say there's any real advantage for the people who follow him. But they follow him anyways.

Tsurumi is leading people with his status, he manipulate people to work with him by feeding them what they desire. and yet he is not only manipulating them but actually took care of them. collecting troops full of unique people, and yet most of them turn into his fanatic believer because Tsurumi took care of them. Most of his closest circle of people who follow him didn't think about the gold and yet motivated by Tsurumi himself. Interestingly while it might be seen as gag, he didn't really discard people who failed/disabled as seen with how he search for prosthetic leg/arm for his subordinate. He might have a few screw lose in his head, but that's to be expected with that kind of wounds anyway.

Sugimoto might actually be the short stick here. Having only a few companion and lead the smallest group, each having their own agenda and motivation. and yet, it ended up with a very nice contrast with his own goal. He didn't care about what the gold will ended up in since he just need and want the small portion of it. he only chase the goal for his petty personal reason and most people who follow him also do so for their own personal reason lol.
    Last edited by gn_x00; 03-14-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn_x00 View Post

Sugimoto might actually be the short stick here. Having only a few companion and lead the smallest group, each having their own agenda and motivation. and yet, it ended up with a very nice contrast with his own goal. He didn't care about what the gold will ended up in since he just need and want the small portion of it. he only chase the goal for his petty personal reason and most people who follow him also do so for their own personal reason lol.
    I don't see how doing it for his childhood friend's eye operation as a promise to his other friend is petty but okay

I don't see how doing it for his childhood friend's eye operation as a promise to his other friend is petty but okay
    it's petty in the way that there is just a little importance of that goal with the amount of gold that he is aiming to find. Finding the gold can ended up with someone succeeding in his coup d'etat or funding to start a new country, which will ended up killing a lot of people from the conflict that it brings, and yet he did it anyway. He even said to Tsurumi that he didn't care about the rest of the gold as long as he just get a small portion of it (for his promise).

There's multiple time in the manga where the way to find the golds can be lost forever because the criminals got eaten by bear, orca, or whatever other shits. which in a way can actually save ton of people since the coup d'etat and civil war didn't happen. His goal might seems right or noble, but in the end it's actually just selfishness and self fulfillment