Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alias chess diary

As I announced in the seats thread, it's been a while since I trained properly. In this diary I'll describe my methods and progression from now on.

Each post will focus on a particular aspect of chess. This one won't be digging a lot yet, and it's about opening.

I think it's time I build myself a solid opening repertoire, and what I will be playing from now on will consist of :

On 1.e4 : the sicilian (najdorf and Scheveningen mainly) and as a side opening the hippo. For now I'm playing the sicilian kalash but it's not a very good defense especially against a weaker opposition since it's not that hard to find lines heading to a draw. I still need to learn properly how to play the Najdorf and the Scheveningen as well as when to switch from the hippo to something else (since it's not playable if the opponent chooses to go for an extended center, in which case I'd need to switch to something like the Pirc, so one more thing to learn).

on 1.d4 : the Hippo as the main defense (and again I don't know it quite well still), + KID&Grunfeld + Nimzo. I have some knowledge on the KID and the hippo doesn't need much knowledge. I know the basics about the Grunfeld and the Nimzo but many lines have me lost quite early so I'd need to study those.

on something else : improvise trying to go towards one of the defense I play on 1.e4/d4.

As white, I currently play the QG, the Catalan and the London system, and I think my knowledge there is quite good, even though on the closed Catalan I could get quite better. Against a KID/Grunfeld I like to play f3 systems with long castles, which is often effective and always fun so I'll keep it that way (I go for the anti-grunfeld if the opponent plays that defense). I'd like to be able to play "from both hands" so 1.e4 as well, but I'll study lines there only after all the other things (that includes all basic endgames are known, my tactical level has reached the goal I'll fix to myself etc).

Looked at many lines for the Hippo and played 20-30 games as black with it since yesterday (in blitz). What I can say is that it's unplayable if the ennemy wanna have a extended center (d4 e4 f4 or c4 d4 e4) and so we should begin in such a way that we can transpose to another of our lines, e.g.

1.e4 g6 (best by test as far as playing the hippo goes) 2.Nf3 Bg7 3.d4 d6 (staying flexible, the hippo system is obtained once we have the a6-b6-c7-d6-e6-f7-g6-h6 + Bb7-g7 + Nd7-e7 set-up) 4.c4!? Nf6 (walking away from the hippo into a KID).

The second point is tempo-related. The opening actually works by often giving back the tempo to the opponent, but in such a way that he DOESN'T HAVE MUCH TO DO WITH IT, I learnt the hard way that if you play without care the moves in whatever order you could enter some disastrous pin or pawnbreak quite fast, which you should avoid at all cost.

I'm gonna try the opening tonight in an official game vs a 1800 Fide rated player, we'll see how it works at that level.

ohoooo... Good luck Kick that dude's ass
    Stay a while, and listen!

I am the great mighty poo, and Im going to throw my shit at you.

Get over here!

The Game Master, here to create amazing games for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Game Master View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you fam Hopefully I can win without too much troubles. 2.5/3 in the tournament for now, nothing outstanding but it's ok. I'm defending my title from last year at that tourney after all

I'd like to see the entry on the day you lost to Fab

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    I'd like to see the entry on the day you lost to Fab
    must have looked like a mix between "$$*f!?!çczaioycnriyoaç!j" and "rofl "

Quote Originally Posted by Game Master View Post
    So eventually I only drew the guy

I played two games after that one, with 2 wins (so overall it's a draw vs a 1800 player as black and 2 wins with white versus a 1600 and a 1700). Not great results, and the first game really convinced me of two things :

- The hippo's a trash opening (albeit a GM would still destoy any sub 2000 player with it).
    - My knowledge of the plans in mainline openings is trash (in the "hippo" game, I somehow manage to salvage my position by transposing into a KID, only to play it like a retard). Player in the 1600 range knew better all the plans of the openings we were visiting, although I detroy them all in tactic shots and endgames. Still, having good positions from the opening AND knowing the plans to use in the position I'd get could be usefull. So I've decided to change my training program.

I went back on doing tactical exercices and I will continue that, just not focus on that since my tactical level already nearly went back to my old "good" level. I'll do 5 tactical exercices a day, 3 endgame exercices and I'll add a lil bit : study one new opening line a week, going through Masters (and by masters I mean only contenders to the world title over the ages) games. Since I plan on switching to 1.e4 I'll begin with open games, and since to have a good motivation a bit of fun is always good, I'll start with the King's gambit !

If you have any game to suggest in that opening or an opening to suggest for next week, be my guest !

Kindly yours,

Romain B.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliasniamor View Post
    So eventually I only drew the guy

I played two games after that one, with 2 wins (so overall it's a draw vs a 1800 player as black and 2 wins with white versus a 1600 and a 1700). Not great results, and the first game really convinced me of two things :

- The hippo's a trash opening (albeit a GM would still destoy any sub 2000 player with it).
    - My knowledge of the plans in mainline openings is trash (in the "hippo" game, I somehow manage to salvage my position by transposing into a KID, only to play it like a retard). Player in the 1600 range knew better all the plans of the openings we were visiting, although I detroy them all in tactic shots and endgames. Still, having good positions from the opening AND knowing the plans to use in the position I'd get could be usefull. So I've decided to change my training program.

I went back on doing tactical exercices and I will continue that, just not focus on that since my tactical level already nearly went back to my old "good" level. I'll do 5 tactical exercices a day, 3 endgame exercices and I'll add a lil bit : study one new opening line a week, going through Masters (and by masters I mean only contenders to the world title over the ages) games. Since I plan on switching to 1.e4 I'll begin with open games, and since to have a good motivation a bit of fun is always good, I'll start with the King's gambit !

If you have any game to suggest in that opening or an opening to suggest for next week, be my guest !

Kindly yours,

Romain B.
    Unfortunately I am almost as bad as you are when it comes to openings. So I can't help you there lol

The only suggestion I can give you is this: download an app called Chess Opening Lab

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eninglab&hl=en

It has a huge library of openings and examples. I am using it to improve my openings since I am not always free to deeply research openings, and sometimes simply want to know the lines by heart. This has helped me well so far. I would suggest you try it out.

Also there is it's brother app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...blunders&hl=en
    For opening blunders
    Stay a while, and listen!

I am the great mighty poo, and Im going to throw my shit at you.

Get over here!

The Game Master, here to create amazing games for everyone!

Today in team competition I beat in a complicated game where I played an imprecision move 23 going from equal/slightly better to slightly worse, then my very first move of the endgame was a little mistake, played too fast, and move 36 a mistake my opponent didn't use, and then in and endgame where black should be the only one pushing for a win (and the normal outcome would be a draw) my opponent blundered and I took the chance off the bat. The guy was a 2050 player so it's a good result, and the team won the encounter, so all is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the game if you're interested : https://lichess.org/GoCA0H3q

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the game if you're interested : https://lichess.org/GoCA0H3q

Coming back on my comment, the hippo is a quite bad opening, but it's actually not that clear how to win against it, highlighted by the fact I drew an IM (2380 FIDE rated) as black today with it in an irl tournament. performed at 2100 so it was fun practice. Went 1.5/3 with black and 3/4 with white versus an opposition averaging a little more than 2000. So yeah I also obtained a great position with it last friday versus a 17xx guy. It's not suitable in all situation but it is flexible and since I play mainline opening in a shaky fashion for now I'll include it in my repertoire. This week's opening is the grunfeld (black side).

So yesterday playing black versus the first seed of the tournament, I went for the grunfeld, but he played the anti-grunfeld with 3.f3

As a concequence we got into a Saemich KID, in which I found a good timing for sacrificing my LSB. For some unknown reason he declined to take the bishop back and as a result I was a pawn up with black as soon as move 11. I increased my lead until arose this position, in which I ended the match with a pretty (albeit not that hard to see) tactical shot. Can you find it aswell ?

1... Qxe4 2. Rxe4 Rxe4 wins the queen because if 3. Qxe4 then 3... Nf2#? Can't see anything else.

Coming back on my comment, the hippo is a quite bad opening, but it's actually not that clear how to win against it, highlighted by the fact I drew an IM (2380 FIDE rated) as black today with it in an irl tournament. performed at 2100 so it was fun practice. Went 1.5/3 with black and 3/4 with white versus an opposition averaging a little more than 2000. So yeah I also obtained a great position with it last friday versus a 17xx guy. It's not suitable in all situation but it is flexible and since I play mainline opening in a shaky fashion for now I'll include it in my repertoire. This week's opening is the grunfeld (black side).
    never trust anything called the hippo imo

Is this the good players version of the englund lol

hippo > englund ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    never trust anything called the hippo imo

Is this the good players version of the englund lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispickle View Post
    hippo > englund ?????
    I drew an IM at a rapid official tournament a week ago and the guy insulted me cuz it was apparently "disrespectful" to play it vs a master. I wanted to say "What's the result of the game again ?" but didn't want to provoke an incident

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrRavychenko02 View Post
    1... Qxe4 2. Rxe4 Rxe4 wins the queen because if 3. Qxe4 then 3... Nf2#? Can't see anything else.
    That's the good answer indeed. The game went 1... Qxe4 2.Rxe4 Rxe4 3.h3 Rxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf2+ 5.Kh2 Bd7 and he resign a bit later.

I drew an IM at a rapid official tournament a week ago and the guy insulted me cuz it was apparently "disrespectful" to play it vs a master. I wanted to say "What's the result of the game again ?" but didn't want to provoke an incident
    lmao

So it's been some month since I last played tournament games, but the new season is about to start (september) and right before I'll play in a tournament from today till august the 15th. The tournament has 9 rounds and for now the line up isn't very strong ... except for an IM playing

Here's what it looks like with the pre-inscriptions :

This is the 15 top seeds as for now (some additional players will come for sure during today's inscriptions).

If no other player comes who's better than the current second seed, then the second place of the tournament will be the target.

so I've played like crap in 3 of the 5 first games of the tournament, here's a little note on each game thus far :

round 1 : weak opponent, even weaker opening from me, giving up a piece and a pawn in the first 10 moves. But then I saw that my opponent was just shuffling his pieces with no real order whatsoever so I decided there was no harm in continuing the game. at the 43th move I went from completely losing (+6 in his favor) to mate in 3 for me VICTORY

round 2 : correct opponent (17xx), good game from my end, solid from end to end even though I played a system I'd never tried before. VICTORY

round 3 : second crappy opening from me, again with black (don't we see a trend here ?). 2 pawns down after 10 moves. I played quite well after that and was close to saving a draw but just a bit short in the end. DEFEAT

round 4 : nice opening with interesting play then at the moment when all my previous moves would have come together nicely with a nice touch, at the point where I could have put so much pressure on the guy that he would have fallen from it ... I blundered. From there on it was a stairway to hell, but after a very strong move he proposed a draw in a winning position. I don't often accept draws but here it was the only sound choice. DRAW

round 5 : 15 yo 1700 player, those are often dangerous ... but not this time. Destruction in 16 moves. VICTORY

so yeah a weak tournament till now but still 4 rounds to make something good come from it.

@Aliasniamor; destroying little kids

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    @Aliasniamor; destroying little kids
    15 yo isn't a lil kid It was just a lesson for him, I was being a good teacher

He also had the worst justification for his mistake : "I played b4 because it is the theoretical move in another opening close to this one in looks"... So not only did he misremembered his openings, but he's not able to think by himself for just 10 seconds on a move to check if a move is ok or not