Uniqueness of the Setting - Helpful?

Do you find this unusual setting in Japan more interesting for you? I do. I'm used to manga set in Japan being either modern or before the widespread use of firearms. However, I find the setting of being just after the Russo-Japanese war to be fresh ground full of interesting changes and clashes of culture with a new variety of weapons to be something that really sets this series apart.

What do you think?

I think it's pretty unique, I've only read one other manga with a Hokkaido setting but it's modern school life. and the time period I haven't seen anywhere yet, compared to the Meiji or Sengoku periods
    All Hail Aldo Jones

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's pretty unique, I've only read one other manga with a Hokkaido setting but it's modern school life. and the time period I haven't seen anywhere yet, compared to the Meiji or Sengoku periods

Yeah. It's sort of like playing a game about the Great War or something. Just something you don't see often and helps make the series feel fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Yeah. It's sort of like playing a game about the Great War or something. Just something you don't see often and helps make the series feel fresh.
    indeed, and I love it how he incorperates the era so well into the manga, especially with the subtle touches you'd read about at the end of the chapter notes
    All Hail Aldo Jones

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

It's obviously unique, but I don't really know if it helps me enjoy it more since I kind of want to get out of the woods here.

The Commander From Hell

We The North

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    indeed, and I love it how he incorperates the era so well into the manga, especially with the subtle touches you'd read about at the end of the chapter notes
    Yeah, it's pretty interesting how notes of odd history get thrown in there. Especially with the Ainu.

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    It's obviously unique, but I don't really know if it helps me enjoy it more since I kind of want to get out of the woods here.
    Kind of agree here. I'd like to see the larger Japanese world and what is going on.

They do spend a lot of time in the woods. I sort of like it since it has a survivalist type feel to it, but the more grounded approach means not a ton of diversity to the setting which one might expect from an adventure manga. None of these Ainu villages really stand out as all that different to me for instance, pretty interchangeable.