Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Gorilla vs Lion

  1. #1

    Gorilla vs Lion

    Discuss.
    http://www.millenniumforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic12330_1.gif

  2. #2
    Cafe Conqueror X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,460
    Gorilla, those things are crazy.


    The Commander From Hell

    We The North








  3. #3
    Jake from State Farm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    In Vienna eating Cake
    Posts
    2,810
    Lions hunt in numbers for a reason, they're very wary of being injured themselves and wouldn't take on a larger prey alone. Most lions won't even mess with honey badgers due to the risk of having their face mauled in turn. If it's a single Lion I think the Gorilla would take it as Gorillas are more used to fighting single 1vs1 and one good swing or kick landed on the lion would make it hesitate to continue fighting.
    ​​​
    Believe In Venom Snake Who Believes In Me

  4. #4
    ReXDrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,206
    The gorilla possesses more physical power, which coupled with its greater stature and kinaesthetic dexterity makes it pretty well equipped to take down the lion.

    The big cat wont have much chance of winning unless it can land a well timed lunge at the gorillas jugular and clamp down with all its might. I suppose a bite to the back of the neck would end things as well, but I don't see the lion outflanking the gorilla to where it can get in position to do this.

    More often than not, the gorilla should be able to fend off its attacks and either beat it down or grapple/strangle it to death






    Not everyone dies because they want to die.

    Most of them die against their will

  5. #5
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    62,966
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gorilla, those things are crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derylsharpe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lions hunt in numbers for a reason, they're very wary of being injured themselves and wouldn't take on a larger prey alone. Most lions won't even mess with honey badgers due to the risk of having their face mauled in turn. If it's a single Lion I think the Gorilla would take it as Gorillas are more used to fighting single 1vs1 and one good swing or kick landed on the lion would make it hesitate to continue fighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXDrake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The gorilla possesses more physical power, which coupled with its greater stature and kinaesthetic dexterity makes it pretty well equipped to take down the lion.

    The big cat wont have much chance of winning unless it can land a well timed lunge at the gorillas jugular and clamp down with all its might. I suppose a bite to the back of the neck would end things as well, but I don't see the lion outflanking the gorilla to where it can get in position to do this.

    More often than not, the gorilla should be able to fend off its attacks and either beat it down or grapple/strangle it to death
    A single male Lion can take down prey such as the Cape Buffalo which weighs 1500 pounds. Lions hunt and kill to survive while Gorillas at most fight amongst themselves to assert dominance. Lions have been documented to kill Grizzly bears in a fight, which outclass gorillas completely. Gorillas and Lions are even in the same weight class.

    Gorillas aren't anything to scoff at either, but it really has nothing to take down the Lion, while the Lion has both claws and teeth. Most Gorilla can do is try to toss it off while the Lion latches on and inflicts gaping wounds.

    Lion low diff.

  6. #6
    Yoshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,990
    The Lion killed Kimblee.

  7. #7
    ReXDrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A single male Lion can take down prey such as the Cape Buffalo which weighs 1500 pounds. Lions hunt and kill to survive while Gorillas at most fight amongst themselves to assert dominance. Lions have been documented to kill Grizzly bears in a fight, which outclass gorillas completely. Gorillas and Lions are even in the same weight class.

    Gorillas aren't anything to scoff at either, but it really has nothing to take down the Lion, while the Lion has both claws and teeth. Most Gorilla can do is try to toss it off while the Lion latches on and inflicts gaping wounds.

    Lion low diff.
    Lions are almost never able to down cape buffalo singlehandedly and more often than not its the herbivore that comes out on top.

    Also, the lion/grizzly fights that occurred in the Elizabethan Era went to the bear the vast majority of the time according to all the records.

    The lions claws aren't going to inflict much damage to a beast with the physique and bulk of a gorilla. The gorillas physical blows are going to really hurt and it can easily restrain and crush the lion with its body mass.






    Not everyone dies because they want to die.

    Most of them die against their will

  8. #8
    Jake from State Farm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    In Vienna eating Cake
    Posts
    2,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A single male Lion can take down prey such as the Cape Buffalo which weighs 1500 pounds. Lions hunt and kill to survive while Gorillas at most fight amongst themselves to assert dominance. Lions have been documented to kill Grizzly bears in a fight, which outclass gorillas completely. Gorillas and Lions are even in the same weight class.

    Gorillas aren't anything to scoff at either, but it really has nothing to take down the Lion, while the Lion has both claws and teeth. Most Gorilla can do is try to toss it off while the Lion latches on and inflicts gaping wounds.

    Lion low diff.
    Lions don't kill larger pray on their own. It would be suicidal for them to try and take down a cape buffalo of that size alone when buffaloes stick to a herd. A lion attacking and finishing off an injured, sick, old, or baby buffalo is understandable though. Buffalos are known for killing Lions themselves, it's not like you can say the lion's win is assured even when they hunt in groups.


    Lions have claws that are made for latching onto their prey, their primary technique used to kill is breaking their prey's neck and stopping blood and oxygen from reaching the brain slowing it down for other lions to come help and finish the job. Gorilla's are a tremendously more powerful having a build that's designed to fight brawls unlike a lion who's designed to chase and pounce on their prey.

    Here's some better debates to sum up and add onto what I would love to say had I more time to get some research done. https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-a-g...against-a-lion
    ​​​
    Believe In Venom Snake Who Believes In Me

  9. #9
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    62,966
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXDrake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lions are almost never able to down cape buffalo singlehandedly and more often than not its the herbivore that comes out on top.
    Wrong.



    While hunting in numbers is more common, this is due to safety/ease, not due to incapability.

    Also, the lion/grizzly fights that occurred in the Elizabethan Era went to the bear the vast majority of the time according to all the records.
    What records? Where is your source?

    This is an account of a Lion killing a Polar Bear http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...LmpwZw==/?ref=

    The lions claws aren't going to inflict much damage to a beast with the physique and bulk of a gorilla. The gorillas physical blows are going to really hurt and it can easily restrain and crush the lion with its body mass.
    The average adult male Gorilla weighs 300 to 430 lb and has no thick hide. It's smaller than what a Lion typically deals with and unlike a Buffalo doesn't even have horns or any real defensive tools it can use for the kill. How tf is a Lion's bite not going to inflict damage when it's killed bigger, stronger creatures with thicker hides? This isn't an anime battle you numbskull.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Derylsharpe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lions don't kill larger pray on their own. It would be suicidal for them to try and take down a cape buffalo of that size alone when buffaloes stick to a herd. A lion attacking and finishing off an injured, sick, old, or baby buffalo is understandable though. Buffalos are known for killing Lions themselves, it's not like you can say the lion's win is assured even when they hunt in groups.


    Lions have claws that are made for latching onto their prey, their primary technique used to kill is breaking their prey's neck and stopping blood and oxygen from reaching the brain slowing it down for other lions to come help and finish the job. Gorilla's are a tremendously more powerful having a build that's designed to fight brawls unlike a lion who's designed to chase and pounce on their prey.

    Here's some better debates to sum up and add onto what I would love to say had I more time to get some research done. https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-a-g...against-a-lion
    See the video I linked, clearly a male Lion can take down a cape Buffalo. You are showing instances of Buffalos (plural) killing a Lion. That's not to say a Buffalo couldn't kill a Lion 1 v 1 either, but it's easily in favor of the predator and not the prey.

    Gorillas are not stronger than Buffalo and prey a Lion is used to taking on considering their weight class.

    What's the Gorilla going to do? Grapple a giant cat who can hurt it very badly just by clawing and struggling? Hard enough doing that to a house cat.

  10. #10
    ReXDrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wrong.



    While hunting in numbers is more common, this is due to safety/ease, not due to incapability.



    What records? Where is your source?

    This is an account of a Lion killing a Polar Bear http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...LmpwZw==/?ref=



    The average adult male Gorilla weighs 300 to 430 lb and has no thick hide. It's smaller than what a Lion typically deals with and unlike a Buffalo doesn't even have horns or any real defensive tools it can use for the kill. How tf is a Lion's bite not going to inflict damage when it's killed bigger, stronger creatures with thicker hides? This isn't an anime battle you numbskull.
    I'm digging for some verification that grizzlies would more often than win against lions. That's been said before and I have at least 1 account of a grizzly killing a lion from the 20th century, but ill get back to you

    According to that New York times report of a lion killing a polar bear that you cited, the bear was attacked by surprise and still managed to injure the lion badly. Doesn't really support your argument at all.

    Also, at least half of those kills were ambushes and some of the buffalo weren't even fully grown. Doesn't prove much when weve got plenty of evidence of the reverse happening as well

    I said claw slashes are unlikely to inflict major damage. A bite will certainly hurt the gorilla, but unless it gets a vital or the head region it probably wont be fatal, and at that range it will be very vulnerable to getting pummelled with thumps, bites and grappling






    Not everyone dies because they want to die.

    Most of them die against their will

  11. #11
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    62,966
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXDrake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm digging for some verification that grizzlies would more often than win against lions. That's been said before and I have at least 1 account of a grizzly killing a lion from the 20th century, but ill get back to you

    According to that New York times report of a lion killing a polar bear that you cited, the bear was attacked by surprise and still managed to injure the lion badly. Doesn't really support your argument at all.

    Also, at least half of those kills were ambushes and some of the buffalo weren't even fully grown. Doesn't prove much when weve got plenty of evidence of the reverse happening as well

    I said claw slashes are unlikely to inflict major damage. A bite will certainly hurt the gorilla, but unless it gets a vital or the head region it probably wont be fatal, and at that range it will be very vulnerable to getting pummelled with thumps, bites and grappling
    Check the sources on the second post, a bunch of accounts that support the Lion usually winning against a bear

    https://www.quora.com/Who-would-win-...a-grizzly-bear

    On topic, Gorillas aren't even comparable to a Grizzly and would likely lose 100%

    This isn't anime, Rex. How are bites/slashes not deadly but some gorilla punches are? The Lion is clearly going to cause way more damage and goring the Gorilla will slow it down considerably, assuming the Lion doesn't outright kill it with a bite to the neck.

  12. #12
    ReXDrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Check the sources on the second post, a bunch of accounts that support the Lion usually winning against a bear

    https://www.quora.com/Who-would-win-...a-grizzly-bear

    On topic, Gorillas aren't even comparable to a Grizzly and would likely lose 100%

    This isn't anime, Rex. How are bites/slashes not deadly but some gorilla punches are? The Lion is clearly going to cause way more damage and goring the Gorilla will slow it down considerably, assuming the Lion doesn't outright kill it with a bite to the neck.
    Thanks for those sources.

    I concede.

    This is one of those weird situations where the gorilla would seem to have the edge in most individual categories but when you consider the historical sources and how the whole package adds up, the lion actually gets it.

    Would never have thought that myself






    Not everyone dies because they want to die.

    Most of them die against their will

  13. #13
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    62,966
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXDrake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for those sources.

    I concede.

    This is one of those weird situations where the gorilla would seem to have the edge in most individual categories but when you consider the historical sources and how the whole package adds up, the lion actually gets it.

    Would never have thought that myself
    Lions are natural killers and purely predatory which is why they even pose such a threat to even Bears. They're just really fast and aggressive, big cats are crazy.

  14. #14
    Jake from State Farm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    In Vienna eating Cake
    Posts
    2,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See the video I linked, clearly a male Lion can take down a cape Buffalo. You are showing instances of Buffalos (plural) killing a Lion. That's not to say a Buffalo couldn't kill a Lion 1 v 1 either, but it's easily in favor of the predator and not the prey.

    Gorillas are not stronger than Buffalo and prey a Lion is used to taking on considering their weight class.

    What's the Gorilla going to do? Grapple a giant cat who can hurt it very badly just by clawing and struggling? Hard enough doing that to a house cat.
    I said it's suicidal for them to try because it is as seen in my video of what happens when things don't go the lions way. Lion hunts end more times in failure than in success so no that's not true http://www.discoverwildlife.com/anim...dators-compare

    That's inaccurate to compare raw strength of one animal who's build is completely different. A buffalo can't use arms to grapple like a gorilla can nor can It bite like a gorilla can or tear things apart with it's hands, or move in a way that isn't linear, or defend it's back like a gorilla can, etc. etc. A gorilla has nearly three times the biting strength of a lion who's primary way of killing is well biting so tuff tuff, bring up a better argument. https://mom.me/pets/17962-12-most-po.../item/gorilla/

    Actually it's quite the opposite, lions aren't known for mauling their prey to death with their paws. As I pointed out before they strike for the neck while using their claws as a latch on, if caught in a frontal assault its very unlikely for a lion to get behind the gorilla as it's neck isn't as big or exposed as a buffalo's and as the site I linked before said "The gorilla would most likely pick up the lion and slam it on the ground before the lion could secure a solid bite onto the gorilla’s head. However, even if the lion was able to clamp down on the gorillas head, the gorilla’s skull is as strong as steel." That would buy enough time for the Gorilla to throw the lion off it's back. Gorillas can tear the lion's limbs right off or cave its skull in.
    ​​​
    Believe In Venom Snake Who Believes In Me

  15. #15
    ReXDrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lions are natural killers and purely predatory which is why they even pose such a threat to even Bears. They're just really fast and aggressive, big cats are crazy.
    The thing is though, more often than not when were talking about large animals, herbivores are more formidable than carnivores.

    This makes sense from an ecological and phenotypic perspective. You need to have a greater population of herbivores in order for an environment to remain stable in terms of diversity, and this is certainly true in Africa. You don't see lions attacking rhinos, hippos or elephants.






    Not everyone dies because they want to die.

    Most of them die against their will

  16. #16
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    62,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Derylsharpe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said it's suicidal for them to try because it is as seen in my video of what happens when things don't go the lions way. Lion hunts end more times in failure than in success so no that's not true http://www.discoverwildlife.com/anim...dators-compare

    That's inaccurate to compare raw strength of one animal who's build is completely different. A buffalo can't use arms to grapple like a gorilla can nor can It bite like a gorilla can or tear things apart with it's hands, or move in a way that isn't linear, or defend it's back like a gorilla can, etc. etc. A gorilla has nearly three times the biting strength of a lion who's primary way of killing is well biting so tuff tuff, bring up a better argument. https://mom.me/pets/17962-12-most-po.../item/gorilla/

    Actually it's quite the opposite, lions aren't known for mauling their prey to death with their paws. As I pointed out before they strike for the neck while using their claws as a latch on, if caught in a frontal assault its very unlikely for a lion to get behind the gorilla as it's neck isn't as big or exposed as a buffalo's and as the site I linked before said "The gorilla would most likely pick up the lion and slam it on the ground before the lion could secure a solid bite onto the gorilla’s head. However, even if the lion was able to clamp down on the gorillas head, the gorilla’s skull is as strong as steel." That would buy enough time for the Gorilla to throw the lion off it's back. Gorillas can tear the lion's limbs right off or cave its skull in.
    Regardless, a male Lion IS capable of taking down cape Buffalo and similarly sized animals by itself, I linked the accounts of Lions taking down bears as well. Solo take downs aren't as common but we're talking about a hypothetical fight to the death, we're assuming the combatants aren't walking away, so these feats are entirely relevant.

    A buffalo has horns and can gore a Lion. That's way more valuable than anything the gorilla has.

    Biting force does not mean Gorillas are superior biters. It's just one metric. A gorilla cannot open its mouth as wide, its head is not prominent, its teeth aren't as sharp. A Lion's bite is clearly more deadly. Wouldn't be surprised if the Gorilla couldn't get a bite in (especially since it's screaming in pain)

    Gorilla's are strong but will struggle to get a Lion that weighs just as much as it does off of him, while the Lion is latched. If he does, the Lion will probably get back on its feet pretty fast, maybe get some distance, and go for the next attack. Gorilla isn't exactly going to pin him down.

    And

    > Gorilla's skull is as strong as steel

    Lmao, a bite to the head will mean it's over for the gorilla (Hint - you don't have to pierce the skull to die in this fashion)

    Most of your argument is just over exaggerated anime tier scenario that has no basis in how an animal fight actually goes down. The Gorilla isn't going to tear a Lion's limbs clean off, get outta here lol

  17. #17
    I would have thought a Gorrilla, but i follow more big cats than monkeys.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derylsharpe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lions don't kill larger pray on their own. It would be suicidal for them to try and take down a cape buffalo of that size alone when buffaloes stick to a herd. A lion attacking and finishing off an injured, sick, old, or baby buffalo is understandable though. Buffalos are known for killing Lions themselves, it's not like you can say the lion's win is assured even when they hunt in groups.


    Lions have claws that are made for latching onto their prey, their primary technique used to kill is breaking their prey's neck and stopping blood and oxygen from reaching the brain slowing it down for other lions to come help and finish the job. Gorilla's are a tremendously more powerful having a build that's designed to fight brawls unlike a lion who's designed to chase and pounce on their prey.

    Here's some better debates to sum up and add onto what I would love to say had I more time to get some research done. https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-a-g...against-a-lion
    A male lion can kill a Buffalo on its own, definitely a female in any case and a bull in rare occasions. Quite rare due to the difficulty/risk and because lions are social animals. There is footage on youtube and any guides will tell you it happens (i watch Sarari live most days which is a 3 hour live safari in the kruger + massai mara, twice a day, every day, though i only watch 1 live and skim the other he following day). It's more common in the Kruger National Park (less common in the massai mara because of other, easier prey species). It's not even true that lions always go for the throat vs buffalo - they bite down on the front of the mouth + nose, crushing it, and essentially 'drown' the buffalo in its own blood.


  18. #18
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    62,966
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXDrake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing is though, more often than not when were talking about large animals, herbivores are more formidable than carnivores.

    This makes sense from an ecological and phenotypic perspective. You need to have a greater population of herbivores in order for an environment to remain stable in terms of diversity, and this is certainly true in Africa. You don't see lions attacking rhinos, hippos or elephants.
    Stronger/more muscle mass, often. More formidable, no. One is prey and one is predator. Only the biggest herbivores are without prey. You can't make generalizations based off the Elephant - that's just one strategy for survival and one that has its cons too. Many herbivores just reproduce at very high rates and win the numbers game.

  19. #19
    Lions do attack hippos when the latter is out of water, and in 1 place in Africa they have 'mastered' the art of hunting elephants as well. Granted it has to be a pride or a coalition of Male lions.

  20. #20
    ReXDrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stronger/more muscle mass, often. More formidable, no. One is prey and one is predator. Only the biggest herbivores are without prey. You can't make generalizations based off the Elephant - that's just one strategy for survival and one that has its cons too. Many herbivores just reproduce at very high rates and win the numbers game.
    And how many predatory animals kill their prey solo?






    Not everyone dies because they want to die.

    Most of them die against their will

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •