What Went Wrong In This Series

What do you think has gone south in this series? It used to be so promising, but now I think most of us can agree it isn't what it used to be.

The Commander From Hell

We The North

I think introducing a villain was just an horrible idea. It's hard to have any sort of tension in a series like this.

Keep introducing more rivals for Soma would have been a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think introducing a villain was just an horrible idea. It's hard to have any sort of tension in a series like this.

Keep introducing more rivals for Soma would have been a lot better.
    You know, I never thought of that and that's an excellent point; I feel that was probably the turning point of the series.

The Commander From Hell

We The North

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    Feels like the rushed everybody having perfection in their dishes, so when it came time to learn something new it sometimes felt out of place when they could handle it so easily.

I almost would've enjoyed it going through a longer experimental phase where they'd be introduced to more interesting dishes or a regional travel situation to help fill out their individuality better.

predictability and losing the fun of the series was the biggest thing for me

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

Lost its charm

Should have stayed light and cheery. The fact the only chefs of note outside the talented first years are the Elite 10 was disappointing also..

Yeah this series had no need for a villain, especially since they had to change the atmosphere of the show for him to fit in. I also felt they were rushing the elite 10, but predictability is what ruined it for me.

Azami being introduced as a big bad villain and being too predictable.

The Dragon of Katsurahama Nordlending's Avatar
    Crappy henchmen.

Azami was fine, but everyone else didn't deliver.

The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlending View Post
    Crappy henchmen.

Azami was fine, but everyone else didn't deliver.
    How could I forget that.

They were legit terrible.

Basically what the others have said.

The series had a very fun, light hearted, and colorful outlook to it. It was sort of slice of life of them going about their routine trying to make it through the next challenge, the levity was a big part of the charm for me. The worst we had to deal with is Erina the snobby brat and the threat of expulsion once in a while if they couldn't make it past an obstacle. Even the tournament which was one of the most grand arcs didn't really have any actual stakes outside of the Mimasaka vs Souma battle. I think my favorite arc was just Ikumi and Souma pairing up to help some local businesses against a large corporation, and the last fun arc was Souma competing against Kuga in sales.

The whole tone of the series just sort of radically shifted once Azami came in. Now instead of dealing with snobs and bullies, we suddenly have this guy who molested Erina, brainwashed the entire school, and we're stuck in some lame nonsensical worldwide domination plot where he wants to somehow shut down every restaurant that doesn't live up to his standards.

It's also made things way too black and white, giving us designated villains instead of actual characters who just happen to have conflicting interests. Just bunch of cackling assholes laughing to themselves how the rebels will never stand a chance, from the crowd, to the instructors, to the announcer... it's just really lame. It was much better to have those more human moments like Souma managing to win over the crowd, or when the antagonists goal was to earn a rematch against the first seat or win the tournament same as Souma rather than whatever those 2nd years were motivated by.

we need a blue arc

Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    we need a blue arc
    I agree.

Clothes removal reaction being more than just for fanservice and laughs ruined this finally.

Predictable and unembellished