Best Role You Ever Had

What's the best/favorite role you've ever had in a game?

The Commander From Hell

We The North

Avon Barksdale

I once was Hit girl in a bring your own role type of game, it was pretty dope.
    ʕᴥʔ
    My Blog

Retired Legend #3
    18/2/18

Gecko Moria

With as many games as I've played, this is a difficult question. So let me give the Top 7 Roles I've ever been assigned, instead.

#1 - Hacker from Maxi-Forum Mafia by Friend of Old

When I sit down and think of the best role I was ever assigned, the very first thought that ever enters my head is my role in Maxi-Forum Mafia, a game hosted on Empire Earth Heaven by Friend of Old in May of 2008. The game was an original theme, being a take on generic forum politics with characters being things like "Head Moderator" and "Newbie User" and the like. The role I was assigned was "the Hacker", serving as a secondary antagonist in the game, the primary antagonists being a Cult (technically referred to as a Mafia in game) composed initially of "the Smurf" who could recruit only specific players noted as "n00bs". My assigned role was Unstable Serial Killing Iron Ghost Cult Recruiter.

So let me start by breaking down what my role meant. First, my faction was essentially a Cultafia. That is to say, I possessed both the means to convert players, and the means to kill players. However, things weren't quite that simple. The "Mentally Unstable" term, coined by Friend of Old, essentially meant that I could pick an action, or a target, and the other would be randomized. So I could pick from kill, convert, and do nothing, and my target was random, or I could pick a target, and I would either kill them, convert them, or do nothing. While doing nothing, I was immune to kills and investigated innocent. This meant that I had to work around the RNG of my role, something that I would today frown upon, but at the time absolutely enjoyed.

#2 - Mercenary from Vietnam Mafia by A Banned User

Looking through my catalog, the second game that really jumps out at me is my role in Vietnam Mafia, another game hosted on Empire Earth Heaven, this time by A Banned User in June of 2009. This was another original theme, with the roles being generic takes on combatants of the Vietnam War, with the Town being Vietnamese villagers and American soldiers, and the Mafia being Vietcong insurgents. My role was "the Mercenary", a secondary antagonist to the primary conflict. The actual role was defined as a Redirecting Trapper.

You might be noticing some running themes here, but I'll break this down. The faction, as before, is technically Cultafia. The Trapper role, as it was defined by ABU, included a limited ability to kill and convert. It functions as follows. Each Day and each Night, I got an action. Trapper encapsulated four possible actions. I could "trap" a player. This was required before I could use any other action on them. A player being "trapped" had no other mechanical impact, except that a "trapped" player became untrapped once someone else targeted them with an ability. From there, I could investigate a "trapped" player, learning their identity and actions up to this point, kill a "trapped" player, or convert a "trapped" player. That last one had three important catches: I could not use conversion during the Day, I could only convert Town players that were American soldiers (in an 18-player setup, this constituted 5 players), and I could never have more than two living recruits at any given time. The "Redirecting" bit essentially meant that, each Night, I could designate a player, and any action targeting me affected that player instead.

#3 - Number 8 from Dante's Garden of Love Mafia: Blood and Flower Peddles by SirDante

This was the second of SirDante's puzzle games, hosted on HeavenGames Main Mafia in October of 2012. This game featured several global mechanics, including puzzles that could eliminate players as environment hazards. The game was an original theme of a bunch of test subjects locked in a hedge maze, trying to escape. The key global mechanic was that virtually every player had to send a "chemical" to someone else each night, and depending on how many chemicals each player received, they could use an ability; however, if a player received too many chemicals, they overdosed and died instead. My role was described as a Clockwork Killer. I was, you guessed it, a secondary antagonist in the conflict.

My faction in this game would best be described as Serial. I won alone, and my primary means of winning was through the elimination of other players. However, my main win condition was not to eliminate all other players, but to achieve a certain condition. I'll get into that in a second. I had two actions, a totally normal kill, and an alignment investigation which was Unstoppable and could target two players at a time, but I could only use one or the other. Now, my role had an extra mechanic. I had a clock, which started at 5 o'clock. I could advance the clock one hour by killing a Towny, two hours by killing a Mafioso, or three hours by killing an Indie. Depending on what hour the clock showed, making a kill would have an additional effect.

• 5 o'clock - if kill is successful, get to write flavor of the kill
    • 6 o'clock - if kill is successful, lose the game
    • 7 ' clock - if kill is successful, must use investigation next Night
    • 8 o'clock - if kill is successful, gain One-Shot Iron
    • 9 o'clock - if kill is successful, next kill is Unstoppable
    • 10 o'clock - if kill is successful, all other actions fail that Night
    • 11 o'clock - if kill fails, rewind to 9 o'clock
    • Midnight - if kill is successful, win the game

This presented two major challenges. First, it meant that my first kill had to be on Mafia or Indie, or I would essentially lose. This mandated that I use my investigation a lot early to identify targets. Second, I needed to land on exactly midnight. If I was at 11 o'clock and killed a Mafioso, I would move to 1 o'clock, and basically have to repeat the whole process again. I could technically win by being the last man standing, but it was unlikely to occur. This made for a very challenging experience, which I greatly enjoyed, even if I did lose towards the very end.

#4 - Hazuki "Grim" Shino from SciADV Mafia by Ratchet

Ratchet's SciADV Mafia was hosted on Oro Jackson as a "traditional" game in March of 2015. The game had a source material, drawing characters from a popular expanded universe that included Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, and Robotics;Notes. In particular, my character, Hazuki Shino, was an antagonist from Chaos;Head. As you may have guessed, I was a secondary antagonist to the primary conflict. It's almost like that's always going to be the most fun thing to play or something... Anyway, my role was Mafia Alternating(even) Hitman Alternating(odd) Ghost-Dentist.

So, essentially, I was part of a 2-man Mafia in a 20-man game. Each of us could kill on alternating Nights, with my other ability having a 50% chance to kill and a 50% chance to protect, and my partners being a combination of Cop and Roleblocker. On Nights where I wasn't the killer, I investigated innocent, and on Nights my partner wasn't the killer, he was immune to kills. This might seem underwhelming, given the scope of the game, but we had a secondary win condition. We could win be eliminating everyone else, of course, or we could win by ensuring that specific game events played out. Essentially, if we dragged the game out to Day 7 without both being eliminated, we won. If we managed to get the main protagonist of the game lynched (he was Town), and both of us were alive and part of the lynch, we won on Day 6 instead. This created an interesting dynamic, wherein we actually abstained from killing throughout the entire game and tried to push mislynches without seeming ineffective to try and stall the game out as long as possible. It was a lot of fun to try and pull off. We even managed to get said protagonist lynched, and just in time to avoid the primary Mafia gaining majority and winning the game.

#5 - Yuki Tokita from The Devil on G-String Mafia by Ratchet

This was another game with a source material, hosted on Oro Jackson as a "traditional" game in September of 2015. The source material is a visual novel, and my character was one of the primary antagonists. In this game, I was a Mafia One-Shot Iron Phylactery Masonic Neighborhood Role Cop.

That's a lot to digest, so let me break that down. I was part of a 2-man Mafia in a 16-player game. We were essentially the only Scum, and there were two Indies in the game whose purpose was specifically to eliminate us. This would be difficult, but we had a couple advantages. First, my being Masonic meant that I was Masons (or Neighbors, if you prefer) with a member of the Town. This player was One-Shot Iron, and shared Neighborhood Role Cop with me, which meant that if both of us targeted the same player, we 100% received their role, but if only one of us targeted a player, we had only a 50% chance of receiving their role. Second, I was a Phylactery for my partner, whom was a Lich. That is to say, if my partner died, so long as I was alive, he would come back to life after a cycle. Finally, I was One-Shot Iron, for what that was worth. This game required a lot of cunning on our part to get into the good graces of the Town. We were provided one safe claim, but it was a safe claim that anyone familiar with the source material would recognize as a safe claim. To this end, we opted to burn two kills to eliminate my Mason partner early, and then my partner claimed as the other half of the Mason duo, while I claimed as an Indie. Ultimately, the game was a lot of fun, despite the challenge, in particular because we got to fake out everyone with the whole Lich thing towards the end of the game.

#6 - The Count from After the Happy Ending Mafia by Friend of Old

This was another original theme by Friend of Old, hosted on Halo Wars Heaven in August of 2009. The game drew from generic fairy tale tropes, but was specifically set after the happy ending. The hero was now a troubled king, and his princess plotted to assassinate him and seize control of the kingdom for himself. My role, specifically, was the Count, a two-faced adviser feeding misinformation to the King. My role was Traitor Pathological Liar.

Allow me to clarify. As a Traitor, I was part of the Mafia, but could not communicate with them. I believe I knew the identity of the Princess, but not her accomplice. They were not aware of my existence. Now, Pathological Liar is exactly what you think it would be: I had a post restriction wherein I would be modkilled if I ever spoke a true statement; only my win condition was excluded from this. As you might imagine, this made the game quite interesting and challenging to approach.

#7 - Trisha Walters from Storyteller's Mafia VII: Stranded by Ashrzr & Xenophone

I'm noting this role less for the role on its own and more for how the role was influenced by global mechanics in this game. The game was Storyteller's Mafia VII: Stranded, hosted on HeavenGames Main Mafia by Ashrzr and Xenophone in February of 2011. This one's going to require some context. First, Storyteller's was a series of games wherein players wrote short stories dictating their actions, and these short stories then influenced the writeups. The trend was started by another host, Mozzarella Man. Second, the game featured an important global mechanic, wherein players required food to survive, and could choose to scavenge for food in a number of areas instead of taking an action at night, which was inspired by the second Zombie Apocalypse Mafia I ran in 2009. The game was otherwise an original theme, with players receiving random names and backstories as part of a narrative about being stranded on a desert island. The role itself was Mafia One-Shot Janitor One-Shot Roleblocker One-Shot Framer One-Shot Redirector.

On its own, the role isn't that interesting. It's a great deal of utility, sure, but nothing groundbreaking. What made this role so enjoyable was how this utility interacted with the scavenging mechanic, and how it ultimately allowed me to manipulate other players with specific uses of the various One-Shot abilities.

my best role up until now was in HP game by dante
    i was serial abductor evolving SK i was ghost and a ninja and had doc as safe claim too

Lelouch role where I had a million votes.

Hands down, still the best role I ever had

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honey, you know I love your vagina.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiRo View Post
    I must say i am baffled by the fact that someone would date Tifa, or that someone like Tifa is able to put a dude in a friendzone. Like are you really so depleted on the good looking girls? In my country no one would ever even look at her twice. We have 2/1 (Girl/Boy) ratio, and most of the girls are decent looking or hot. We have obese girls but they mostly die alone because even the ugly looking dudes can find a good looking girl if they are just not poor as fuck..
    2:1 ratio and you still can't get any ass? Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber View Post
    Dammit I deleted that so I could be saved from your rebuttal.

I regret ever giving you the opportunity to be more right about anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    i used to drink mayonnaise as a kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Masakazu Chiba View Post
    What truth? The fact that you're an annoying dimwit? Most of your posts are cringe. Nothing worse than a cocky asshole who gets proven wrong and lies to save face. The fact that you have a gold bar pretty much exemplifies that rep is worthless. You are the face of awful modern day TMF posters. SpiRo back into whatever cave you crawled out of, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava View Post
    Just because someone likes dick in their ass doesn't mean they're not your brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Hands down, still the best role I ever had

Wincon is two coinflips

I was once a Jester that was immune to all actions. Marvelous role.

Unfortunately for me...I managed to avoid being lynched. I can only ascribe that to being so revered that it is impossible to feign stupidity or obtuseness in order to gain the votes I required to be lynched.
    -The Great Swagzini

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    Wincon is two coinflips
    thats role madness, dawg *shrug*
    Honey, you know I love your vagina.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiRo View Post
    I must say i am baffled by the fact that someone would date Tifa, or that someone like Tifa is able to put a dude in a friendzone. Like are you really so depleted on the good looking girls? In my country no one would ever even look at her twice. We have 2/1 (Girl/Boy) ratio, and most of the girls are decent looking or hot. We have obese girls but they mostly die alone because even the ugly looking dudes can find a good looking girl if they are just not poor as fuck..
    2:1 ratio and you still can't get any ass? Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber View Post
    Dammit I deleted that so I could be saved from your rebuttal.

I regret ever giving you the opportunity to be more right about anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    i used to drink mayonnaise as a kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Masakazu Chiba View Post
    What truth? The fact that you're an annoying dimwit? Most of your posts are cringe. Nothing worse than a cocky asshole who gets proven wrong and lies to save face. The fact that you have a gold bar pretty much exemplifies that rep is worthless. You are the face of awful modern day TMF posters. SpiRo back into whatever cave you crawled out of, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava View Post
    Just because someone likes dick in their ass doesn't mean they're not your brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    thats role madness, dawg *shrug*
    nah that's beyond role madness

Yakuza Tracker
    "You are not prepared!"

You are Jeff Kaplan, an Overlord and a 3d Party. You win when you are the last player alive.

You are Jeff Kaplan, a developer in the Overwatch team. Your aspirations reach critical mass larger than Mei's expanded ass and everyone else compared to you is like the recently nerfed Mercy. You're an absolute God who can solo a 6-member OW League team with just your McCree main. You wish to nerf the absolute hell out of every hero and be the last man standing, in order to prove to Blizzard you're Jeff ''Tigole Bitties'' Kaplan, the ultimate ruler.

Due to being an expert at Overwatch and The Absolute Madman, you may use 2 abilities every Night and Day Phase.

Night Ability: Nerf

• Our goal here at Blizzard is to make [insert hero here] not useful in any way. Nerf a player, putting a 1-night cooldown on a random ability if it has no cooldown or making it less powerful in a random way. Due to the nerf patches first being tested on a PTR server, this action is invisible in the write-up. You can only nerf each player once.

Night Ability: Ban Hammer (1-Night Cooldown)

• Whoever picks [insert hero here] will not be leaving the spawn room until late 2018. Find a player and swing your ban hammer on them, banning them from the game, not allowing them to post or vote for the upcoming Day Phase.

Night Ability: Choke On My Lijiang Tower (2-Night Cooldown)

• Once I'm done with you, not even a team of 6 Mercys will be able to ressurect you. Roast the absolute fucking hell out of a player, removing 2 lives from them.

Day Ability: Wrestle With Jeff, Prepare For Death (1 Use)

• I can have every member of the Overwatch team pinned down and screaming for help in 17 seconds. If you are lynched, choose one of your voters to be lynched along with you.

Day Ability: God I'm Fucking Rich (1-Day Cooldown)

• Just keep buying boxes til the best skins unlock! Use your lootboxes to buy a player's voting power. You know no player can resist the urge to buy a lootbox when you guarantee them Legendaries. You will gain their voting power.

Passive Ability: Daddy Jeff

• Due to being pretty much God, every investigation on you will give the investigator the results of you belonging to their faction, as everyone views you as The One And Only.

Passive Ability: New Update

• The new patch is neat! Once every player alive has been nerfed by you, you will release a new Overwatch update where every player except you will lose 1 life, as their nerfs will have been beta-tested and approved for release.

Passive Ability: New Hero

• What's up, this is Jeff from the Overwatch team, here to introduce a new hero. Introduce a new hero to Overwatch, if you die then the hero will emerge as an entirely new player. They will have the same wincon and abilities except Nerf, but all unavoidable and with only one use except Choke On My Lijiang Tower which will remain normal. They will have 3 lives and 1 avoid. The Ban Hammer ability will also be replaced by a new one that is capable of roleblocking. Extra abilities or modifications may occur

You have 5 lives and will ignore the first harmful action directed towards you each night.