Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but would you have ever considered him in Ushiyama's range?
    I'd probably say Ushiyama would high diff him in a fight

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    I'd probably say Ushiyama would high diff him in a fight
    I'd like to think Ushiyama would have no more than mid-diff against brain damaged Sugimoto personally. If anything because I just prefer Ushiyama on that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    I'd like to think Ushiyama would have no more than mid-diff against brain damaged Sugimoto personally. If anything because I just prefer Ushiyama on that level.
    he'd have better chances against berserker Sugimoto since that Sugimoto can't think properly. that's huge handicap against a guy that boasts power and technique.

he'd have better chances against berserker Sugimoto since that Sugimoto can't think properly. that's huge handicap against a guy that boasts power and technique.
    For sure. Ushiyama would just throw his ass into next week. I'd say "reasonable" Sugimoto stands a better chance.

Alright. Instead of studying I'm just gonna go ahead and talk about Golden Kamuy.

A couple posters have been after me a short while to read this series and I have to say I've been missing out.

Up front: This is just a great series.

The premise is pretty simple in how it's about a soldier who hears about a bunch of prisoners who are tattooed with the key to a mountain of gold. And it just so happens this soldier, Sugimoto, needs gold to pay for his friend's wife to have proper medical care. Eventually he finds out this blabber mouth was a prisoner and his adventure starts when he meets up with an Ainu girl, Asirpa (Asripa? I never get it right) Arispa? Whatever. I think it's Asirpa. He meets her and learns that these tattoos are meant to be skinned off of the prisoners by their ringleader (who helped them escape a prison) and his adventure begins. And what a ride so far.

The art: First let's talk about the art. What a delight. Soft but firm, the art style is distinctive and easy to follow and a treat to the eye. It never becomes "too hard" and isn't messy at all, which works extra well when the mangaka decides to get intense. And boy can some of these scenes be so damn intense and focused. It works because the "normal" style works for more series and humorous moments and let's the most important parts just shine. Sometimes the art even blends the two together to show a shift in energy.

The story: The story isn't really complicated nor does it really want to be on the top. It's a pretty simplistic story about a man and a girl he's protecting chasing prisoners to get their skins to get gold. And you can enjoy it on that level, sure. But what REALLY thrills is the story going on beneath it all. It's the story about a country suffering inner turmoil with each other, the land, and the corruption which harms them all. Starting with Sugimoto who is barely scraping by like many soldiers after the Russo-Japanese War, he runs into the Ainu and begins to learn about their culture and it quickly becomes apparent the Japanese (formal) and the Ainu really don't know too much about each other. Their languages, beliefs, customs, and even how they eat is so different it is a constant culture lesson for everybody involved. Personally, this is some of my favorite part of the story.

The setting: An odd and unique setting. This is in Hokkaido just after the Russo-Japanese War (which was a famous and emboldening war for Japan). Japan is becoming a bit more Western, is modernizing, but is still stuck in that transition phase as the country is still recovering. We don't get to see too much of the greater story of Japan and that works so damn well for this series. The setting is so focused on what is going on with these characters thus far that we feel invested and not lost in their land. But there still is clever world building through the anguish and problems of the other characters. We see quickly the war has had a hellish effect on many involved and we get hints of parts of the world, the costs people paid, and how it still haunts them.

The dialogue: Very sharp. Never really drags on and always is a pleasure to read. The best part is the humor. Be it from the odd foods Asirpa makes the rest eat or the misunderstandings or a little... "sumo wrestling," the whole series has good chunks of levity to help break up the sometimes downright depressive parts of the series.

The characters: Best part incoming.
    Sugimoto, aka "Sugimoto the Immortal" is a soldier who is just trying to get by. Known for his near unkillable nature, he is a very scarred man. Both in body and spirit. On the outside he appears either sure, stoic, or goofy, but we get to see several hints he can barely stand himself and lost who he truly was in the war. He meets the Ainu girl and together they begin a quest where Sugimoto finds self value further than a wartime promise. He finds hope and he fights to keep it alive at any cost. Not that he has to worry, because shoot him in the neck, the stomach, the head, whatever. He doesn't die. He just heals and comes back to kill them. It's also interesting how he views and feels himself as a murderer and does his best not to kill... Well, unless Asirpa isn't around. Then he reverts to his willingness to kill, even if he doesn't like it in others. What sets him apart from other main characters is his amazing lack of stupid pride. You'd think a guy like him, who really only has his violence and sturdy body would be boastful or even confrontational, but he really isn't. He'll confront what he has to but he's just as happy to avoid fights. He's also an extremely practical character. His pride can prevent him from working with people who he's had conflict with, but being in a war has taught him fighting alongside people you don't like doesn't matter if you all have the same goal and keep an eye out. You depend on who you have to as long as you need to until you're done.

Asirpa, aka the Ainu girl. A nature expert and a pinch shot with a bow and poisoned arrows, she provides the series as its guide. She serves a practical role in showing Sugimoto around Hokkaido, showing him ways to eat and survive the harsh climate, act as translator, and helping him in general with local needs. She also serves the more undercurrent theme as Sugimoto's guide back to life as a normal person. Charming, smart, humorous, and a welcome energy to the series that plays so well against the more serious and sometimes broken characters.

Shiraishi, aka the Escape King. The buttmonkey of the crew and an escaped prisoner. He is obviously an escape artist and he's damn good at it. He's also the default comedy relief of the series as every animal they come across bites his head and generally is tossed around and used by both sides. Not really stupid but not super bright, he befriends Sugimoto when Sugimoto promises to not kill him and even share in the gold if Shiraishi allows them to simply copy his tattoo.

These three form the "core" group, but there are plenty of others. From the Imperial Army's 7th division to former Shinsengumi to other prisoners who all have their own motivations and sometimes not even the same goal. The primary "antagonists" are really not antagonists at all: The Escaped Prisoners. They run the gamut of regular murderers to rapists to escape artists to people just like violence. However, we get to meet people just as twisted as the prisoners and some far far worse. What makes the characters particularly interesting is how enjoyable all the characters are, and how easy it is for the reader to cheer for them. Almost every single character has a vibrancy and life that can be memorable and endearing. Even the really batshit crazy ones.

I'd definitely recommend it to anybody who is even slightly interested. Don't be fooled by first look, it may come off initially as a sort of shonen series but it is DEFINITELY a sienen series.

I leave you with the Escape King engaging in a fight and Sugimoto "enjoying" Ainu cuisine:

REPPED

Now.... Time to read this.

how so?

I forgot this. This was the impression I got from the first 3 chapters

His rampages reminded me of some good old infantry Shin moments, like this:

His "I wont die no matter what aattitude" its similar too, though for different reasons.
    Also the I dont care for your rank if you piss me off attitude, a classical Shin

But Sugimoto is more adult I guess