Thread: Bribery

Bribery

Lets assume you are a somewhat known regional politician with a somewhat little influence in regional politics.

Lets further assume in the not so distant future important regional elections such as major elections and regional parliament elections are held

-

The scenario: You get approached by a company from a foreign country wanting to introduce their new developed product as a protoype in your region.

You get offered a share of company stocks valued at X for your efforts of lobbying the region to think about investing in the companies product. X varies but you know that X is a sum enough to net you a good life for the rest of the life since it surpasses a certain threshold.

Your actual steps to satisfy the companies need would be to introduce a candidate who is running for major from the party you are in who actively claims to solve the problem the companies product would then be solving, without naming the company of course.

At the same time you would pass a decision that the local branch of your party engages in actively beeing on the lookout for a solution to that problem a well for regional elections.

Most positive: The candidate wins and the party gets a good result. The region you are in already knows that a certain topic will be handled since it was part of the election campaign.

You then obviously suggest the company with the new product to be the solution to that problem.

Negative: No win, but the awareness of the topic has been made public over the course of the election.

You then introduce the company as well and try to reach an agreement with the other parties and the new major.

-

Important: You getting X shares is not bound to the product in the end having to be adopted. It is only for your lobby work that the problem which the company tackles needs to be solved.

-

Intel on the product: In theory and as a prototype it actually does solve a problem. However since your region would be the prototype center you have no intel how everything will place out or if the Investment of your region of buying the prototype pays off. Its a risk/reward situation.

-

Would you accept the Shares and use your influence to try and make it happen?

Bribes are bad just because when they get exposed everyone goes wild despite the fact we all know what we'd do for a little cash.

The Commander From Hell

We The North

I wouldn't accept a bribe no matter how much I'm being offered.
    No.​

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    I'm not sure this is a set up for a bribe.

If someone offered me the chance to spread information about something I know is beneficial while being able to profit off of it then I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong. Like if the product was something to cleanse the river of pollutants and there was no real acceptable alternative? I'm not sure how I would be doing "bad" by introducing a mayor who wants to clean our water supply AND have a way of doing it that I know has a good chance of working. It actually seems like I'd be doing a public service.

A bribe would be more like them giving me money and/or stocks to ensure their place in the competitive market despite me knowing there's a better product, someone more competitive, or to overlook any of their negative behaviors. Such as ensuring I ensure the town will not pass laws that get in the way of river dumping or something or use my influence to have the District Attorney not press charges on something. At least that's how I've always taken to what bribery means.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure this is a set up for a bribe.

If someone offered me the chance to spread information about something I know is beneficial while being able to profit off of it then I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong. Like if the product was something to cleanse the river of pollutants and there was no real acceptable alternative? I'm not sure how I would be doing "bad" by introducing a mayor who wants to clean our water supply AND have a way of doing it that I know has a good chance of working. It actually seems like I'd be doing a public service.

A bribe would be more like them giving me money and/or stocks to ensure their place in the competitive market despite me knowing there's a better product, someone more competitive, or to overlook any of their negative behaviors. Such as ensuring I ensure the town will not pass laws that get in the way of river dumping or something or use my influence to have the District Attorney not press charges on something. At least that's how I've always taken to what bribery means.
    interestint assessment.

would you disclose your ties to the company when taking any action or do you feel this would undermine the potential success due to political conflicts (e.g. people insinuate you being biased, bought, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    interestint assessment.

would you disclose your ties to the company when taking any action or do you feel this would undermine the potential success due to political conflicts (e.g. people insinuate you being biased, bought, etc.)?
    Since the stipulation asks for me to not disclose my ties I wouldn't. Chances are my ties would come out anyway via a watchdog group after the election when it turns out I'm a shareholder for the company, and it might or might not backfire on the current mayor depending on factors like if there was another option and how successful the company is at solving the problem.

Since the stipulation asks for me to not disclose my ties I wouldn't. Chances are my ties would come out anyway via a watchdog group after the election when it turns out I'm a shareholder for the company, and it might or might not backfire on the current mayor depending on factors like if there was another option and how successful the company is at solving the problem.
    thanks for your quality input.

thanks for your quality input.

No prob.

Though I never really answered the question about bribery. I'd like to think if a company was trying to buy my loyalty to further their goals but I could tell was harmful to the public in some significant way I would not accept it. Granted, it's all in how they sell it to me I guess.

No prob.

Though I never really answered the question about bribery. I'd like to think if a company was trying to buy my loyalty to further their goals but I could tell was harmful to the public in some significant way I would not accept it. Granted, it's all in how they sell it to me I guess.
    adding up on that

If a company is buying you out, but you genuinely think that what they are offering is good for the public, would you do it? using your influence in whatever possible way you have in the city/county etc. to lobby for their agenda?

adding up on that

If a company is buying you out, but you genuinely think that what they are offering is good for the public, would you do it? using your influence in whatever possible way you have in the city/county etc. to lobby for their agenda?
    If they're buying me out at what I believe to be a fair price and it would improve not only what my company is doing, but have a positive impact on the customer base I was targeting as well as the public at large? Possibly. Because if I didn't I might think I was intentionally doing harm.

If they're buying me out at what I believe to be a fair price and it would improve not only what my company is doing, but have a positive impact on the customer base I was targeting as well as the public at large? Possibly. Because if I didn't I might think I was intentionally doing harm.
    What if this is not about you as an entrepreneur but about a member of city council or similar.

Basically: Youre a (regional) politician.

What if this is not about you as an entrepreneur but about a member of city council or similar.

Basically: Youre a (regional) politician.
    I think that was your original question. Where I'm being bribed as a politician or rather offered stocks and stuff. Like if they sold it to me as something positive and I truly believed in it I'd probably act on it for the public interest. But if they were just offering me stocks and I knew it had a negative impact I wouldn't.

I would not accept any bribes, this is why the nations go under, they let companies have some sense of freedom to do terrible things

I think that was your original question. Where I'm being bribed as a politician or rather offered stocks and stuff. Like if they sold it to me as something positive and I truly believed in it I'd probably act on it for the public interest. But if they were just offering me stocks and I knew it had a negative impact I wouldn't.
    Yeha its true it was my OP. Some time passed since the OP, hence I may have repeated it now unecessary. What if whatever you get offered is so far not used - not only in your county, but the entire country - but you still believe that it would be positive.

You basically are the one pushing for a thing with your influence which has no proven references from the past, albeit it does make sense on paper. In addition, your county/country is the most important market for the company bribing you - which is why you get offered a rather profitable bribe, since your community will be kind of a "guinea pig" for the companies product to be used.

If it works out, you have created a precedence for the company to expand on the market, helped your citizen and - secretly - got some money no one hopefully will ever know about.

If it doesnt you have taken money, delayed market expansion of the company and your citizens have no advantage - instead the community would have spend money unecessarily. Also you would have hurt your own credibility

-

The product the company wants to introduce would come with a 7 digit price for your community to initially install it.

Yeha its true it was my OP. Some time passed since the OP, hence I may have repeated it now unecessary. What if whatever you get offered is so far not used - not only in your county, but the entire country - but you still believe that it would be positive.

You basically are the one pushing for a thing with your influence which has no proven references from the past, albeit it does make sense on paper. In addition, your county/country is the most important market for the company bribing you - which is why you get offered a rather profitable bribe, since your community will be kind of a "guinea pig" for the companies product to be used.

If it works out, you have created a precedence for the company to expand on the market, helped your citizen and - secretly - got some money no one hopefully will ever know about.

If it doesnt you have taken money, delayed market expansion of the company and your citizens have no advantage - instead the community would have spend money unecessarily. Also you would have hurt your own credibility

-

The product the company wants to introduce would come with a 7 digit price for your community to initially install it.
    Part of a politician's job is to not only help improve their environment, but consider the future of it. So if this company was looking to invest in an idea that potentially on paper has a ton of positive potential it would be in my constituents best interest.

The gamble would probably be worth it as it would at least invest in some temporary construction jobs.

Part of a politician's job is to not only help improve their environment, but consider the future of it. So if this company was looking to invest in an idea that potentially on paper has a ton of positive potential it would be in my constituents best interest.

The gamble would probably be worth it as it would at least invest in some temporary construction jobs.
    thanks for your assessment.