View Poll Results: Who's your favorite player ?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Akiba Rubinstein

3 75.00%
  • Anatoly Karpov

1 25.00%

Chess favorite player tournament Round 1 match 8 Karpov versus Rubinstein

Akiba Rubinstein is one of the finest endgame players who've ever played the game and still the one I will choose to present him was this tactical masterpiece : http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1119679

He's faced with one of the best positional players of all time, who was said to play like an "Anaconda" and who was world champion from 1975 to 1985. I think he's also the player who won the most major tournaments just after Kasparov (I'm not even sure Kaspy is ahead of him in tournaments' wins though). Quite a monster he was.

I'll use two games to illustrate my words : http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1067168 In this one he plays first around the isolani (isolated d pawn) quite well to keep the minor piece he'd like (in this case a LSB for him versus a DSB for Kaspy, when black's structure makes him weak on light squares), then slowly manages to put his remaining pieces on the perfect squares, slowly grinding Kaspy down.

I can't manage to find the second game, where iirc Kasparov played a gambit versus Karpov (the Marshall gambit, ir my memory serves me right), and which is the best game I saw from Kasparov.

Rubinstein was the best endgame master of his day which was during the time of Lasker and Capablanca, both of whom were highly dangerous in the endgame themselves, and arguably to this day is still the greatest. He was also a contender for the WC title, and plausibly could have beaten Lasker if it wasn't for WWI. His most famous game was an instructive lesson on "overloading" in chess.

karpov was one of the best chess players of all time, known for his heavily positional style and defense mastery. Although popularly known to be conservative and solid in his play, karpov was actually more versatile then mentioned. The only person he could challenge him in his early days as WC was Korchnoi but after 1980, he dominated chess until Kasparov came around. And even after he lost his title, him and the GOAT were pretty much on the same level for 3 consecutive world championships until the 90s came. Probably his most famous accomplishment was his victory in the 1994 Linares super-tournament, which was possibly the best tournament performance in chess history.

Neither of them are my favorites in terms of style. I choose Karpov because I know more of his games and he accomplished more in chess.

Quote Originally Posted by Egress View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rubinstein was the best endgame master of his day which was during the time of Lasker and Capablanca, both of whom were highly dangerous in the endgame themselves, and arguably to this day is still the greatest. He was also a contender for the WC title, and plausibly could have beaten Lasker if it wasn't for WWI. His most famous game was an instructive lesson on "overloading" in chess.

karpov was one of the best chess players of all time, known for his heavily positional style and defense mastery. Although popularly known to be conservative and solid in his play, karpov was actually more versatile then mentioned. The only person he could challenge him in his early days as WC was Korchnoi but after 1980, he dominated chess until Kasparov came around. And even after he lost his title, him and the GOAT were pretty much on the same level for 3 consecutive world championships until the 90s came. Probably his most famous accomplishment was his victory in the 1994 Linares super-tournament, which was possibly the best tournament performance in chess history.

Neither of them are my favorites in terms of style. I choose Karpov because I know more of his games and he accomplished more in chess.
    Nice write up

@DoflaMihawk; @Game Master; @White; @Heart; @Tigerclaw; @Crispinianus; @Nordlending; @DreX; @Aether; @Fabulous; @Egress; @Pimp of Pimps; @Ultra; @The Elementalist; @SpiRo; @Crispickle;

If no one votes anymore Rubinstein will go through ... Is that what you want ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aliasniamor View Post
    @DoflaMihawk; @Game Master; @White; @Heart; @Tigerclaw; @Crispinianus; @Nordlending; @DreX; @Aether; @Fabulous; @Egress; @Pimp of Pimps; @Ultra; @The Elementalist; @SpiRo; @Crispickle;

If no one votes anymore Rubinstein will go through ... Is that what you want ?
    Still didn't get the mention for some reason, don't think anyone else did.

Akiba goes through to second round !

Quote Originally Posted by Egress View Post
    Still didn't get the mention for some reason, don't think anyone else did.
    This is weird I'll contact Pops about it.