Boring series vs badly written series

What type do you find worse? A series that is full off bad writing or a series that is just boring and meh without anything worth it?
    Last edited by Neko; 02-02-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Badly Written but entertaining > Boring but decently written. It's the reason why I still read Black Clover.

Should be obvious. I mean, Dragon Ball is incredibly popular and I enjoy the hell out of it, but I think we can all agree that it, and Super especially, are far from the pinnacle of storytelling.
    Last edited by Gorilla; 02-02-2018 at 09:54 PM.

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    Boring series.

Actually, I probably wouldn't read either. But I'm less frustrated by a boring series.

I read manga for entertainment, so I'd drop the shit out of something boring.

The Commander From Hell

We The North

not every series can be a masterpiece

but boring wouldn't even bring you to continue

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boring series.

Actually, I probably wouldn't read either. But I'm less frustrated by a boring series.
    very interesting

can you give an example of something badly written you couldn't stand?
    Come and play some

Hosted by Shane

Just avoid Bleach. It’s the worst of both worlds.

badly written series > boring series with decent writing

I watch anime for entertainment. Fairy Tail has pretty bad writing, especially at the end, but I still enjoyed it far more than other animes, which were just.. boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ink Spot View Post
    very interesting

can you give an example of something badly written you couldn't stand?
    I said I wouldn't read either because usually a boring series is pretty poorly written to begin with.

Like Naruto was pretty boring towards the end and some of the twists were just bad writing, but a no point did I think the series was actively trying to be a piece of shit. Bleach on the other hand was extraordinarily difficult to read due to how fucked up the end was which made it both a chore and a frustrating experience.

Anything that really challenges me as a reader to sit there and say, "How are you going to abuse me today?" and then thank the series for it isn't something I'm interested in. On the other hand I don't mind boring stuff because while some of the writing is bad I don't really have to wonder what sort of crack the author was writing and generally the series will just be a quick forgetful read. A boring series that never really entered the truly bad writing realm for me would've been History's Strongest Disciple towards the end which was just bleh but it wasn't so bad I had to wonder why I kept going back to a series I absolutely disliked.

Wouldn't a boring series be badly written by default?

I'd drop a boring series, I would continue reading a highly entertaining but badly written series.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    Not necessarily. A boring series can have a really well-written and good plot but still fail because the characters are horribly unengaging or it just feels boring.

As for my thoughts on this. I use the same argument when comparing Scully-era Simpsons to later years Simpsons. Scully-era is badly written but do keep me watching when the newer seasons don't keep me invested at all.

Same thing here, a series that is badly written can still keep me reading but something that is boring i will just lose interest in.
    Last edited by Neko; 02-03-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    Usually. Though sometimes a boring series just is boring because no matter how well it's written it might just not be hitting the right notes well enough. Which would still be a symptom of bad writing but not terrible writing.

I'm talking about bad writing where a series can barely resolve itself without pulling out asspulls to push a plot forward and fix its own mistakes. Unless its a gag series obviously, then it gets a different valuation system from me entirely.

Badly written but entertaining> boring.

I should add: Normally when I come across a series for bad writing, the stints of bad writing tend to become so glaring and common they outshine any other decent parts of a series itself. It causes me to focus and more readily recognize bad writing and become more critical for it. So even if there was some sort of somehow redeeming quality to the series I don't see it outweighing the bad.

Meaning a series with occasional bits of bad writing is okay. A series which pretty much is fueled by bad writing isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    I should add: Normally when I come across a series for bad writing, the stints of bad writing tend to become so glaring and common they outshine any other decent parts of a series itself. It causes me to focus and more readily recognize bad writing and become more critical for it. So even if there was some sort of somehow redeeming quality to the series I don't see it outweighing the bad.

Meaning a series with occasional bits of bad writing is okay. A series which pretty much is fueled by bad writing isn't.
    Yeah bad is still bad. It's basically a shit vs poop debate. I prefer something being badly written but keeping me interested to something that just leaves me bored but that does not mean the former is something i like.

The most boring series I can think of is Hero Tales. It was written ok as you'd expect from the writer of FMA, but it was just boring. The characters, the setting, and the plot were just meh. The fights were also uninteresting. I would still rather read/watch Hero Tales over Bleach and even over Dragonball.

Toriko was also boring some time after the Livebearer arc. I don't know if the writing got worse or not since I dropped the manga soon after and never took the time to analyze it.

I'm not really familiar with most poorly written manga/anime besides Dragonball which I read when I was younger and never picked up again. Usually, I'd drop a series if it's bad, but I give boring series a shot. KHR started off boring and became good near the middle before dropping off again, so I always have that in mind when reading a series that doesn't immediately catch my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    I'd say without their captains the Whitebeards would be slightly stronger than the Red-Hairs and with their captains they'd be significantly stronger.
    It's pretty obvious no Emperor was a real threat to Whitebeard. He just had too much power and influence.
    Raigou apparently can't even destroy an island, which Whitebeard can do easily.
    Obviously it was because of Whitebeard, but the crew even without the captain is still highly exceptional. If you take away the captains, the Whitebeard's would beat any Emperor crew decisively.
    Vista can fight Whitebeard,

The Dragon of Katsurahama Nordlending's Avatar
    I would avoid both of them, but in the end I would prefer badly written ones because they give early warning signs that this is crap. Boring series like Hayate the combat butler and others can string me along looking for the part that says this is good. That part never appears.

The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!