Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Candidates 2018 - 10-28 march

Some pieces of information regarding the tournament :

1. The prize money is 420 000 euros for the 8 participants, from 95 to the first to 17 to the last in the competition.

2. The venue will be in Berlin (Germany), but I don't know much more about it for now.

3. The schedule : 8 players qualified for the event, which will be a double round robin, with rest days after the rounds number 3, 6, 9 and 12.

4. The candidates

The candidates are the ones I highlighted. It's one of the strongest list of candidates from anytime (I think the 2013 candidates were stronger, if only because Carlsen was in that lot as well). Karjakin qualified as the loser to the previous match with Carlsen, Aronian and Ding Liren qualified as the 2 finalists of the last World Cup, Mamedyarov and Grischuck qualified as the winner and second of the Chess series of "GRand Prix", So and Caruana qualified as the two best average elo through 2017 and Kramnik was the chosen wild card, which makes sense (especially knowing that the biggest sponsor is russian ). I'll do a post about each and everyone of the candidates, but as of right now we can already all start to say who are our favorites to win the tournament !

So people, what's your take on this ? Who'll win and with what score ?

It's beginning in only 2 days from now

The hype is real

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=92582

https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-tw...and-anish-giri

TMF needs to teach these top chess players how to roast

Quote Originally Posted by Aliasniamor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

this is pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ink Spot View Post
    this is pretty cool
    Come on, that is just weak. Win a tournament for the first time in your life, and maybe people will start taking you seriously

Today's the first rest day after 3 great first rounds, the highlight being the disgrace Aronian suffered as white yesterday at the hands of the former WC and current world n°3, Vladimir Kramnik:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1914397

In the standings, after 3 rounds, Kramnik is first with 2.5/3 while 2 are just half a point behind, Caruana and Mamedyarov. Then 2 players are at 1.5 2 at 1 and one at 0.5 (So)

Come on, that is just weak. Win a tournament for the first time in your life, and maybe people will start taking you seriously

that's true, but the fact that they're trying is good. it's good exposure for chess in general

Quote Originally Posted by Ink Spot View Post
    that's true, but the fact that they're trying is good. it's good exposure for chess in general
    The "come on, that is just weak" part is also part of the quote, in case you thought otherwise

so is carlsen even in this event?

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post

so is carlsen even in this event?
    No he's not, the candidates tournament's purpose is to pick the one who'll challenge him for the world champ title !

No he's not, the candidates tournament's purpose is to pick the one who'll challenge him for the world champ title !
    ah, so he's the final boss

perfect position to roast from

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    ah, so he's the final boss

perfect position to roast from
    Reminds me of an old one, just after Carlsen grabbed the title :

https://twitter.com/GMHikaru/status/402632662663176192

to which Carlsen answered in an AMA on reddit : https://chess24.com/en/read/news/mag...sk-me-anything "Magnus Carlsen: I've never actually watched Lord of the Rings...if I had, and Nakamura had been a better chess player, I might have been more insulted."

oh wow to think that kramnik would be leading after 3 games. He lost his WC title what like 11 years ago and hasn't been a candidate since? Very tough guy. He must have remained as one of the world's top 20 players for 25 years now.

still think caruana or mamedyarov will challenge carlsen

It is unlikely that karjakin will return

Quote Originally Posted by Egress View Post
    oh wow to think that kramnik would be leading after 3 games. He lost his WC title what like 11 years ago and hasn't been a candidate since? Very tough guy. He must have remained as one of the world's top 20 players for 25 years now.

still think caruana or mamedyarov will challenge carlsen

It is unlikely that karjakin will return

Kramnik has played in many candidates tournaments since he lost his title. Notably, when it was an elimination system, he was eliminated by Grischuck in semifinal in 2010-2011, finished second only due to tie-breaks but tied with Carlsen for first place with 8.5/14 in 2013.

And yeah he's a tough guy and an incredible player

I don't think Karjakin will qualify either, he was quite lucky last year and wasn't, imo, the one playing the best chess 2 years ago at the tournament. I wouldn't discount Aronian this early either, with 11 rounds to go it's a bit early for such judgements, but of course Caruana Mamed and Kramnik are in a better place than him for now. Kramnik might be affected by some fatigue down the road so we'll see how he fares in the later rounds. I loved Grischuck play in rounds 2 and 3 and in round 1 he played great until he got into time trouble.

Kramnik has played in many candidates tournaments since he lost his title. Notably, when it was an elimination system, he was eliminated by Grischuck in semifinal in 2010-2011, finished second only due to tie-breaks but tied with Carlsen for first place with 8.5/14 in 2013.

And yeah he's a tough guy and an incredible player

I don't think Karjakin will qualify either, he was quite lucky last year and wasn't, imo, the one playing the best chess 2 years ago at the tournament. I wouldn't discount Aronian this early either, with 11 rounds to go it's a bit early for such judgements, but of course Caruana Mamed and Kramnik are in a better place than him for now. Kramnik might be affected by some fatigue down the road so we'll see how he fares in the later rounds. I loved Grischuck play in rounds 2 and 3 and in round 1 he played great until he got into time trouble.
    Ah I meant challenger. Usually a former WC comes back to be a challenger in the next WC match but Kramnik hasn't been in a WC match for 10+ years now (but he was very close in 2013).

If he somehow does win, I think he'll lose against carlsen. Kramnik is a defensive player like karjakin and possibly the best endgame player (while carlsen is more original kramnik is technically more accurate. He's notorious for his extensive preparation. But he'll never beat carlsen because stamina has always been an issue for him. He's no longer in his 30s while carlsen is right around the same age as when kramnik beat kasparov at his peak rating. Carlsen thrives at not preparing openings as well as other top players and he was always much better than kramnik at the middlegame. at worst it'll be a tie before they get into speed chess, and carlsen will obviously dominate him in that.

buti think it'll either be caruana or mame. caruana is more similar to carlsen than any other super gm. i barely heard of mame but he's had a strong showing in the last several months.

Omg what a thriller this fourth round was

The anti-Moscow gambit from Grischuck, some tactics overlooked but some very accurate play in the later stage of the game, it could have been the GOTD in almost any tournament, except this isn't just ANY tournament and in the same round a dramatic encounter occured between Caruana and Kramnik, in a seemingly inoffensive line (5.Qe2 in the Petroff), Kramnik tried to press with 23.c5?! probably missing how strong was the reply that came : 24... f5!

Afterwards Caruana had burnt too much time and made many mistakes in the moves leading to the time control, and just when Kramnik thought he had everything under control came the subtle and beautiful 47... Bf6!! After that shot Kramnik was a bit shocked and didn't manage to recover enough to hold the draw, and Caruana took home the full point https://twitter.com/Chess__News/stat...16070129455104

Meanwhile Mamed played a rather dull draw vs So, while Aronian recovered from his loss to Kramnik by winning with black against Karjakin thx to the later mixing up lines and being worse out of the opening.

All draws yesterday, despite a true roller coaster between Aronian and Grischuck in which Sasha barely survived. Kramnik pushed a long time in a drawn endgame so it's reassuring regarding his stamina and will to fight.

Today I expect Caruana - Grischuck to be very interesting, and I think Aronian will push for a win before the second rest day.

Caruana beat Aronian which puts him in the lead for first half of the tournament.

Although i think caruana will be the challenger, the trend is still favorable for mamedyarov. He will be a tough competitor. I was watching aronian-caruana live for a second and thought caruana was going to lose because he made mistakes and looked like he was going to fall into time trouble. karjakin beat so so he's not at last place anymore, but I don't see him being anymore than 4th place here. aronian and so are pretty much done this year.
    Last edited by Egress; 03-18-2018 at 08:41 PM.