Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Healthcare reform

    Don't think I saw a thread on this, so why not? Inspired by Pop's Millennium Weekly thread.

    As some of you know, healthcare is insanely expensive in the states. I'm sure there are other countries that have this problem as well, but I think the US is just most prominent. It's gotten to the point that people set up GoFundMe accounts for people like this:
    https://www.gofundme.com/dtfgmk-jose...s-medical-fund

    How would you solve the healthcare cost issue in the world? Should the US take after other systems in the world, and adopt a single payer platform?

  2. #2
    us healthcare is the internet explorer from all industrynations healthcare browsers

    i hope you get your shit together and shit like this is not required anymore

  3. #3
    Cafe Conqueror X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,881
    Someone explain US healthcare to me.


    The Commander From Hell

    We The North








  4. #4

  5. #5
    Retired Crispinianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    16,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Privatize it.

    Our healthcare system is still better than Canada’s, though. They’ll make terminally ill patients wait months for surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by X
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Come her and fuck me like a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is this even a thead?

  6. #6
    Do they make every terminally ill Patients wait for months?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Do they make every terminally ill Patients wait for months?

  7. #7
    is being better than Canada's really something we can be proud of? seems like bragging about getting a better grade than close to zero

  8. #8
    Cafe Conqueror X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Privatize it.

    Our healthcare system is still better than Canada’s, though. They’ll make terminally ill patients wait months for surgery.
    That's only in some places, not nationwide.


    The Commander From Hell

    We The North








  9. #9
    Teacher's Pet Void's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    54,593
    I've read yesterday that in pharmacy/drugs alone, US patients have to pay an innovation tax for new drugs while people in the UK and Switzerland don't. plus companies out for profit make stuff like eye drops oversized but most of it is wasted so the cost is tacked on to patients

    The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

  10. #10
    Is healthcare itself ever really free? Taxes cover the expenses for that and free university, don’t they?

  11. #11
    @Makenzye;

    You seem like you'd be familiar with this subject; any thoughts to offer? (Feel like this'd be a good topic to discuss and I don't want this to just die into the annals of the War Zone).

  12. #12
    PUNISHED T.O.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Chiraq
    Posts
    1,585
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

  13. #13
    See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1970
    Posts
    19,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @Makenzye;

    You seem like you'd be familiar with this subject; any thoughts to offer? (Feel like this'd be a good topic to discuss and I don't want this to just die into the annals of the War Zone).
    Our system is pretty fucked up. We spend a shit ton of cash to insurance with not up to spec results.


    Working for the industry itself? It's a freaking quagmire of nonsense that insurance companies stumble through based on judgement, grids, preferred outcomes, acceptable therapies, and time waited. For people like you and I who require specific types of medicine it can be even worse as an insurance's formulary can change from year to year and our preferred meds and payment right alongside with it. As healthcare costs have grown beyond inflation or earnings some treatments are just outside of reach, or more freaky, we don't properly treat ourselves because of prohibitive costs. This is especially becoming a problem as some insurances are tying copays to deductibles for many drugs (barring a few) which has you paying the entire amount for a medicine before any actual insurance assistance comes through.


    So let's say you're on Advair where a single inhaler can cost upwards of over 400 USD and your insurance will only cover 80% only after the deductible, but since you don't have a ton of cash to blow each paycheck you opt for a semi low premium of 300 bucks per month. Your deductible can be 5000 USD or more, meaning you'll have to get 13 inhalers before your insurance even kicks in and it won't pay for the complete inhaler after anyway.


    Insulin, like yours and mine, gets this quite a bit. I used to be on Novolog, of which one month unaided is around 400 USD per month, which I only found out AFTER my insurance stopped covering it in preference of another medicine which was untested for my system. I switched to the other one which had worse results and had to wait a couple months before my insurance would cover Novolog again.

    The fight for Trulicity was far worse.

  14. #14
    Red Hero Rax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Sun
    Posts
    60,008
    Get rid of Obama Care.



    Your friendship?
    I'll take it!


  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our system is pretty fucked up. We spend a shit ton of cash to insurance with not up to spec results.


    Working for the industry itself? It's a freaking quagmire of nonsense that insurance companies stumble through based on judgement, grids, preferred outcomes, acceptable therapies, and time waited. For people like you and I who require specific types of medicine it can be even worse as an insurance's formulary can change from year to year and our preferred meds and payment right alongside with it. As healthcare costs have grown beyond inflation or earnings some treatments are just outside of reach, or more freaky, we don't properly treat ourselves because of prohibitive costs. This is especially becoming a problem as some insurances are tying copays to deductibles for many drugs (barring a few) which has you paying the entire amount for a medicine before any actual insurance assistance comes through.


    So let's say you're on Advair where a single inhaler can cost upwards of over 400 USD and your insurance will only cover 80% only after the deductible, but since you don't have a ton of cash to blow each paycheck you opt for a semi low premium of 300 bucks per month. Your deductible can be 5000 USD or more, meaning you'll have to get 13 inhalers before your insurance even kicks in and it won't pay for the complete inhaler after anyway.


    Insulin, like yours and mine, gets this quite a bit. I used to be on Novolog, of which one month unaided is around 400 USD per month, which I only found out AFTER my insurance stopped covering it in preference of another medicine which was untested for my system. I switched to the other one which had worse results and had to wait a couple months before my insurance would cover Novolog again.

    The fight for Trulicity was far worse.
    How would you solve this debacle? And would you say that healthcare costs are accurately priced based on how much it ideally SHOULD cost, or is there a lot greed involved?

  16. #16
    The Dragon of Katsurahama Nordlending's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    9,870
    From my understanding a healthcare reform in the U.S has to come after a government reform.
    ​​

    The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

  17. #17
    Magistrate of Hentai Ccrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    england
    Posts
    2,838
    i checked out the link and apparently the guy is raising money to go to another country to pay for surgery there since heart transplants are illegal in the US?

    you could of picked a better example if your talking about the price of healthcare, since that money hes raising is for him to get healthcare outside of the US


  18. #18
    The Dragon of Katsurahama Nordlending's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    9,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is healthcare itself ever really free? Taxes cover the expenses for that and free university, don’t they?
    It doesn't need to be free. It needs to be affordable. You can afford to pay taxes. You can not afford to pay everything you own and then some for a treatment.

    Last month my older brother got a iron pole into his face during work and broke a lot of bones below his eye and the right of his nose. He got sent to the biggest hospital in Norway after visiting being transferred from the local and county hospital. So the doctors down there played lego on his face (his words, not mine) and made him look almost as good as he looked before the accident. They put in some things to where some of his bones where supposed to be, and a straw or something for his tear duct. After that he got sent home and paid a symbolic sum for his treatment.

    That's what health care should look like. You get the treatment you need for a price you can pay. Some parts of Norway's health care is a bit flawed, but this was not one of them.
    ​​

    The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

  19. #19
    The problem is it, like everything else in the US, is treated like a business instead of an essential right.
    No.​

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •