The wage gap

Myth or reality?

reality

Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    reality
    Explain

Myth.

It's been busted many times over. There are factors outside sex that results in pay differences.

The most obvious problem with the idea is the logic. If women were cheaper labour then men, men wouldn't be in employment.

Why would companies employ men when costs can be kept down by employing women

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Hunter Eddy View Post
    Explain
    you want me to give my opinion or post statistics and news related to the topic?

you want me to give my opinion or post statistics and news related to the topic?
    Your own perspective be it opinion or statistics. I'm just looking for a discussion.

Your own perspective be it opinion or statistics. I'm just looking for a discussion.
    the european union publishes very accurate statistics regarding the topic. on average the gender pay gap is 16% between women and male, ranging from 5.5 to 26%, depending on member state.

depending on the field of work, the amount of work (part time, full time) and age these gaps vary.

for example part timed working women in germany actually receive a so called negative pay gap of 1.1 percent, meaning that they earn more than their male, part time working counterpart. whereas in spain the pay gap is 27% for the same job.

both member states have different socioeconomic preconditions, however i dont think this thread is about the "reasons" for the pay gap but rather just to acknowledge whether it exists or not.

the same can be said for italy, where on average full time working women earn 0.4 percent more than their male coworkers, doing the same full time job - however at the same time latvia has a 20% percent pay gap.

in regards of age things are looking different, seeing how they only range from a negative -3.2 to 14 percent.

its becoming interesting when looking at the field of work however, seeing as the financial and insurance market has the highest recorded pay gap, ranging from over 18 per cent to almost 41 per cent, and grossly outmatching the actual average pay gap all things combined.

in other economic fields the GPG is shrinking but still present. obviously there exists positive or negative outliers in every field, however when talking about the relation of half the popularity these exceptions only prove the rule. it is also true that the gap has lessened when compared to previous surveys from 2002,2006,2010,2014.

all data i shared have been collected under the structure of similar age, occupation, length of service, educational level and their employers economic activity, size of the enterprise, etc. seeing as otherwise arguments could be made that the pay gap is due to a difference in these factors. i am interested to see the results of the 2018 survey.

conclusion:

gender pay gap exists
    negative pay gap is also present, albeit its still not common and should also be tackled as a problem
    gender pay gap is shrinking, albeit slowly

If you're referring to a pay gap between males and female overall, this will always exist and always has existed. Males and females are different.

If you mean an individual women getting paid less solely because she is a woman, I'm sure it does happen but much less often than some claim.
    No.​

the european union publishes very accurate statistics regarding the topic. on average the gender pay gap is 16% between women and male, ranging from 5.5 to 26%, depending on member state.

depending on the field of work, the amount of work (part time, full time) and age these gaps vary.

for example part timed working women in germany actually receive a so called negative pay gap of 1.1 percent, meaning that they earn more than their male, part time working counterpart. whereas in spain the pay gap is 27% for the same job.

both member states have different socioeconomic preconditions, however i dont think this thread is about the "reasons" for the pay gap but rather just to acknowledge whether it exists or not.

the same can be said for italy, where on average full time working women earn 0.4 percent more than their male coworkers, doing the same full time job - however at the same time latvia has a 20% percent pay gap.

in regards of age things are looking different, seeing how they only range from a negative -3.2 to 14 percent.

its becoming interesting when looking at the field of work however, seeing as the financial and insurance market has the highest recorded pay gap, ranging from over 18 per cent to almost 41 per cent, and grossly outmatching the actual average pay gap all things combined.

in other economic fields the GPG is shrinking but still present. obviously there exists positive or negative outliers in every field, however when talking about the relation of half the popularity these exceptions only prove the rule. it is also true that the gap has lessened when compared to previous surveys from 2002,2006,2010,2014.

all data i shared have been collected under the structure of similar age, occupation, length of service, educational level and their employers economic activity, size of the enterprise, etc. seeing as otherwise arguments could be made that the pay gap is due to a difference in these factors. i am interested to see the results of the 2018 survey.

conclusion:

gender pay gap exists
    negative pay gap is also present, albeit its still not common and should also be tackled as a problem
    Yeah that's somewhat true, I guess I should have added more context. I believe that there is a pay gay(based on statistics of course), and I think it will always remain present. My main question was actually meant to imply does the gender pay gap exist due to sexism or are there logical explanations for the gap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    If you're referring to a pay gap between males and female overall, this will always exist and always has existed. Males and females are different.

If you mean an individual women getting paid less solely because she is a woman, I'm sure it does happen but much less often than some claim.
    I'm referring to both, My question was meant to involve whether the gap exist mostly due to sexism or is it simply based on indiviual decision. Should have added more context.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm referring to both, My question was meant to involve whether the gap exist mostly due to sexism or is it simply based on indiviual decision. Should have added more context.

Not something the government should tackle over here.

The Dragon of Katsurahama Nordlending's Avatar
    Of course it exist.

Woman getting paid less for the same job done is a problem. Its getting better, but it will take a while.
    ​​

The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

I think a big problem with the wage gap debate is that lots of people assume there should be a 50/50 split in everything pertaining to men and women. The issue is that this is unjust. Men and women tend to have different strengths and interests. Until that is acknowledged and taken into account, the surveys and whatnot you see about this issue will not be accurate.

That said, sexism against women does exist.
    No.​

Formerly named John Wick Mercantilist's Avatar
    Reality but not as significant as is stated

Accounting for all factors it still exists

And not just that, one fact that is undeniably true even to cunt faced conservative skeptic dickwads the overwhelming majority of CEOs are male... higher up positions are almost all male

And it wouldn't just happen to be that in reality higher up positions ubiquitously make vastly more earnings than the lower ones...

Hmm, I wonder whether a significant general earnings disparity between women and men exists or not.. Hmm..

And on that, I wonder if having vastly more financial assets than another person construes dependency in relationships and even outside of relationships creates a shitty power dynamic.

Probably not eh. Wage gap is fake women are just pussies.

- - - Updated - - -

I think a big problem with the wage gap debate is that lots of people assume there should be a 50/50 split in everything pertaining to men and women. The issue is that this is unjust. Men and women tend to have different strengths and interests. Until that is acknowledged and taken into account, the surveys and whatnot you see about this issue will not be accurate.

That said, sexism against women does exist.
    The biggest thing to note is what you said - men and women TEND to have differences

All people have differences but you shouldn't by default be paid less for being a woman and sexism, racism often ends up tipping salaries one way over another

Nevermind the politics before hiring. E.g. dirty arabs being hired less frequently than other races based on the same resume.. same as asians and negros.

The entire thing is that women on average get paid less yearly because on average they take easier jobs and work less hours.
    @R ;

Get outta here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlending View Post
    Of course it exist.

Woman getting paid less for the same job done is a problem. Its getting better, but it will take a while.
    That's not a thing in America.

- - - Updated - - -

conclusion:

gender pay gap exists

So you really are a male feminist?

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

You're a Latino your perspectives on sexism don't count

Quote Originally Posted by Mercantilist View Post
    You're a Latino your perspectives on sexism don't count
    I'm not Hispanic

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rax View Post
    I'm not Hispanic
    Aren't you lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Mercantilist View Post
    Aren't you lucky
    He's not.

I'm Latino though.
    Were you abused by voluptuous women as a child? That's the only explanation for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan View Post
    He's not.

I'm Latino though.
    It's not the end of the world dude, don't worry.

It's a myth, just like guns in America being a problem, racism against blacks or Aboriginals in North America, and the the world being round.

The Commander From Hell

We The North