Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 105

Thread: #Metoo Movement

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacifista View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couldn't of said it better myself so I'll just quote you.

    That said, there's something else that is really disturbing to me. The almost complete and total lack of empathy of girls and women that share the hashtag because they've been abused, sexually or otherwise in some way or fashion and having to keep it to themselves because it was just something that happened. And I'm not talking about celebrities. I'm talking about friends, family, coworkers, classmates, people you see every day, etc.

    There is a real disconnect here and this, to me, really exemplifies why this is thing in the first place. You have thousands upon millions of people sharing their stories and most of the posts in here don't even acknowledge their existence.
    pretty much my entire point.

  2. #42
    Crispickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    42,124
    more than repeating multiple times that the exploitation of the train by a majority of opportunistic passengers hurt FIRST AND FOREMOST the true victims of true abuse, i don't know what i can do.
    ~Lemon~


  3. #43
    Cafe Conqueror X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,640
    I guess I'll add my two cents to this since I started this conversation. I don't think the idea of bringing light to some of these monstrosities is a bad thing, in fact, I think it's quite positive since there has been a lot of shit that has done down behind closed doors. I also think it gives a lot of women who have been victims in the past a platform to speak and courage to do so. However, I feel that every single thing that is slightly related to sexual abuse has been lumped in as one and that isn't right. Matt Damon actually said it best and got crucified for doing so; we can't categorize all of these things that has happened as being equal. Is it terrible the things that people like Harvey Weinstein and Larry Nassar have done? Absolutely and they should be locked up for a long time. But cases like Kevin Spacey, whose dad was a rapist and an abuser and probably abused him, and Aziz Ansari need to be looked at in a different light because of the circumstances surrounding them. It's the same as someone being slapped on the butt or cat called, not great things to do, and you're probably an inappropriate and creepy person, but lives cannot be ruined over things like that. The movement has been a very interesting two-way road where it gives women some courage to say what has happened to them but on the other hand if used improperly can damage a lot of lives and careers.


    The Commander From Hell

  4. #44
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    61,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispickle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    more than repeating multiple times that the exploitation of the train by a majority of opportunistic passengers hurt FIRST AND FOREMOST the true victims of true abuse, i don't know what i can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacifista View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couldn't of said it better myself so I'll just quote you.

    That said, there's something else that is really disturbing to me. The almost complete and total lack of empathy of girls and women that share the hashtag because they've been abused, sexually or otherwise in some way or fashion and having to keep it to themselves because it was just something that happened. And I'm not talking about celebrities. I'm talking about friends, family, coworkers, classmates, people you see every day, etc.

    There is a real disconnect here and this, to me, really exemplifies why this is thing in the first place. You have thousands upon millions of people sharing their stories and most of the posts in here don't even acknowledge their existence.
    I really don't know too much about this topic, can I see some examples from each of you

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacifista View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couldn't of said it better myself so I'll just quote you.

    That said, there's something else that is really disturbing to me. The almost complete and total lack of empathy of girls and women that share the hashtag because they've been abused, sexually or otherwise in some way or fashion and having to keep it to themselves because it was just something that happened. And I'm not talking about celebrities. I'm talking about friends, family, coworkers, classmates, people you see every day, etc.

    There is a real disconnect here and this, to me, really exemplifies why this is thing in the first place. You have thousands upon millions of people sharing their stories and most of the posts in here don't even acknowledge their existence.
    That's because the MeToo movement is inherently classist and sexist. If you try to mix legitimate stories with something so inherently flawed, the results will never be good.

    The MeToo movement is based on Feminism and the premise of Feminism is so inherently flawed and oppressive that anything associated with it will always be treated this way.

    If you want justice for sexual abuse victims, stop utilizing Feminism. You'll see that when these issues are brought to light without mixing them with illogical concepts the true feelings of the people will come out and the victims get the compassion they deserve.
    Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 01-30-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    No.​

  6. #46
    Crispickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    42,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't know too much about this topic, can I see some examples from each of you
    there's been a dozen cases per day at some point, i am bad with show business and celebrities in general, but there's one case related to italy that is emblematic enough of it.

    https://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...d-public-scorn

    just read the first part i guess, the article starts leaking pee after a while
    ~Lemon~


  7. #47
    Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 01-30-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    No.​

  8. #48
    And I've already posted the studies showing that an increased consumption of sexualized images leads to an increase in sexual violence. You can't separate the two.

    Why, then, are those very people responsible for those images in the first place leading any sort of movement to combat sexual violence? They are part of the problem, not the solution.

    Now, here's the million dollar question: How many of you are going to admit hyper sexualized images being everywhere is part of the problem and how many of you are going to deny the science because you want to continue consuming what you're used to and what makes you feel good? Are you part of the problem or the solution?
    Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 01-30-2018 at 02:44 PM.
    No.​

  9. #49
    Skraawwk!! Makenzye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1970
    Posts
    17,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Game Master View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me save you all some time... Stop arguing over something that doesn't matter. Stuff like this has always happened and will happen in the future. It will come and pass and people will forget about it as they have forgotten many things.

    Basically, go do something better than talk about the newest shit some people made up to excite the public for their own benefit.
    A-fuckin'-greed. Could not have summarized a truly complex and wide spanning issue covering multiple view points like this better myself.

    I feel the same way about slavery, creating ghettos for the Irish and Chinese, denial of similar rights to homosexuals, lack of assistance or consideration for non Christian peoples, and displacement/removal of Native tribes. Seriously, do people even actually care that places of worship and small children are burned down in their backyards? Do they even want to hear about how crime is influenced and about pedophiles preying on small children or how drunk driving takes up one third of driving related deaths? It's not like it's going to stop these things. I have no clue why people think trying to spread information around is going to help anything. It's not like it's holding my personal attention because these matters just don't concern me and therefore they're all failed causes.

    Lemme list a few that I personally have issues with:

    Fucking Muslims bitching up and fucking down about how fucking hard it is for them to live in the world. Boo fucking hoo. Cry me a fucking river. It's the dirty muslims who deserve it for existing and wanting to just have the same rights as people they live alongside in peaceful countries they more or less have no greater conflict with aside from the social ones of the existing population who feels fear of "other." And I mean ALL THE TIME they talk about peaceful coexistence, but here they are every time someone is beat to death in the streets, or a mosque is burned, or aren't given shelter because of their appearance, or are hounded by cops, or are harassed, or are passed over by justice because of latent racism, or aren't capable of being elected because they believe in some multi armed smoke elephant you can't take pictures of since it'll steal your soul and don't believe in the One True God the Bible gave us. Seriously. So they want to build a mosque near the world trade center? And feel they should have the RIGHT to do this? Why don't they shut up about that shit? NOBODY CARES. And let's not be coy because we can all admit it was really a way to show victory over America and as a place to recruit and train further terrorists no matter what evidence is shown. Seriously. It's all they talk about. "I just want to pray in peace and build buildings for my brethren." Ever think that maybe we don't let you because you blab on and on and on about it? Maybe it's just because you shouldn't be able to do this instead? Seriously. Next time I hear some muslim complain about America bombing some muslim's neighborhood in Towelheadastan or how some Christian extremists are hurting/killing/oppressing them? I'm going to use this pearl of wisdom: "Stuff like this has always happened and will happen in the future." Because they need to get the fuck over it toot sweet. Honestly, when was the last time someone put a story in the paper about a muslim girl beaten to death by her peers something we even talked about? If we're not talking about it then it doesn't matter and isn't worth further consideration.

    Ugh. Same with black people. It's always, "Systemic racism from the inception of American slavery to today has prevented generations of black people from having the same opportunities and advantages of non-black people which in turn negatively impacts future generations." Every time. I'm so SICK of it. So what? Your parents or grandparents weren't allowed in college or good paying jobs and that has an effect on how children are raised and how that can affect education levels of children? That was so forty years ago. This is on you now and your lazy stupid ass. Your life is in your hands and I see no reason why I, a college graduate from a family of successful college graduates granting me the benefit of a lot of comfort and time, somehow have more opportunities than you since I'm just as free. Every single time a dirty ass black person tells me that the taint of racism is still there and it still affects black people from housing, to law, to police who have nothing to do with the past? I point out the good old Civil Rights movement that forced regular decent folk to live with them, forced the same folk to eat with them, to hire them, to rent to them. Hell, I also point out we elected a black guy who by all means was a charismatic and well spoken. So there. Racism is gone. If one exceptional black guy who had a confluence of opportunities not even normally available to most can do it? Then you have no more excuses. Stop drawing the race card and telling me how cops ten to one harass and beat and shoot and imprison you more. You ever think you might deserve it? You guys will NEVER get the vote because talking about it will solve nothing. People can stop bitching about it and how it affects their lives and the lives of their neighbors and countrymen.

    Do NOT get me started on Indians. No, not the Ali Baba flying carpet kind. The listerine swilling, scalping, cry on the roadside at trash kind. Code talkers. Look, yeah, maybe just maybe it wasn't exactly good of old Americans to basically destroy entire communities, forcefully adopt your kids and convert them to a religion or pretty much kill them, and then make sure that laws were passed pretty much fucking you over for a dozen generations. But seriously, can we just get over it? Nobody is talking about the underfunding of tribal people, the poor lands we shoved you on, or the fact that you can't have laws passed without the approval of the BIA and that makes it near impossible for you to properly utilize your land without giving in to stereotypes and gambling. Maybe if you just stopped being degenerate alcoholics? Like I said, I don't really want to get started on this one because I'd have to admit I know jack shit about the BIA, tribal culture, and the existences of reservation life in general since I absolutely hate it when people bring it up and that means I'd have to dedicate eight fucking minutes... Yeah, you heard me. EIGHT FUCKING MINUTES of my day to learn something new. Like I don't have enough shit to do already with my Wheel of Fortune and Last Man Standing. Get a fucking job you shiftless, relegated people.

    Same with those homoqueers. Stop the fucking whining about shared custody, laws preventing proper healthcare, marriage, last rites consideration, or any of that shit. You're never going to get it. Stop fucking whining already. NOBODY CARES.

    I mean, if it were so bad these people could just move back to wherever they come from except homosexuals, Natives, and slaves. I'd just be happy if they could shut up and let me live my life the way I want.

    Oh shit. I almost forgot about the Chinese. Remember when they didn't want to be blown up in railroad tunnels or forced into indentured servitude anymore like prostitution? Them fucking Powder Monkeys get blown up occasionally building railroads? Too bad! That's part of the job. They wanted a job? They got one and all the risks involved in it. I wish I was around back then to tell them to stop the fucking whining. Not that any of their conditions have really changed since people bringing light upon their plight has never EVER helped fixed any of their problems. So I guess I can still tell them to stop whining. In fact, yeah. STOP WHINING BECAUSE NOBODY CARES.

    It's not like windbagging about this stupid shit is going to solve anything even if people start speaking up about how "bad" these things are and organizing against it. I mean, seriously, these things don't really matter. I really wish people would just shut up about these issues rather than bandwagoning.

    So the next time a mosque is burned, a church is blown up, a school has a shooting, a police officer shoots a black kid? I'd rather people not bitch about it like whiny fucking children trying to pass laws and social programs to help reduce these crimes because they're not going to solve anything. It's not like this stuff hasn't always happened in the past and always will happen in the future. At no point in history have negative things been dealt with by public awareness and education and it NEVER WILL.

    Seriously. Fuck people who complain about completely legitimate things to complain about. They're not doing anybody any favors by shedding light on negative things and magnifying that light so negative things can be addressed.

    These people really should be doing something more important with their free time. Like, I dunno... Collecting stamps.





    ------------------------------------





    So... Just in case this has slipped by this was all sarcasm. At no point do I really feel this way about any of these subjects primarily because things like empathy, cultural understanding, a little research, and understanding long held frustrations tend to explode outward can go a long way in understanding other cultures, people, movements, etc. Note how I put contradictory things about all of those groups in there or completely fucked up understanding how their lives work and sometimes even just blatant racist terms because I was being intentionally ignorant because when we won't even let people talk or vent, or just assume what they say holds no inherent meaning then we usually fuck things up. Double note I got historical facts wrong such as black people not having the vote and same sex marriage. Two things which seemed to be "small" to people once upon a time but through persistence was solved.

    Towelheadastan and the mixture of a smoke monster and Ganesh and Mohammed? I actually kinda liked that one for some reason even though I have heard people make pretty much the same claim. But it doesn't matter. What does matter is this: When we assume these things (I say people asking for justice and equality is just some minor things, ha). When we assume these things are flashes in the pan we tend to not even listen to what they have to say and we stop growing and understanding. Partially because it challenges us as people with opposing beliefs. Partially because we're lazy. Mostly because we're lazy, actually. Some of the stuff I've seen in this thread could've been easily dispelled with a few minutes of research and education. Stuff I wasn't aware people NEEDED to research to know. And when we won't even give it the base line consideration of that? Well... We tend to have pearls of wisdom like, "Stuff like this has always happened and will happen in the future." Like if continued problems is an excuse to do NOTHING at all about them.

    If talking about slavery didn't start a war over it, what did? Random chance? A Magic 8 ball? (States's Rights! It's heritage! YEEHAW!) American Chinese didn't get better considerations for life because they eventually "pulled themselves up by the bootstraps." It took a lot of self organizing and communication from the greater public for acceptance and opportunities. Muslims today struggle, but if talking about it isn't enough then I guess we should ignore it entirely? I guess the fact 2016 being the biggest year for American/Muslim violence is a non topic despite the violence rate had been more or less flat give or take a few dips and rises in the past eight years and just spiked hard in 15-16? These are arguments from the deepest pits of ignorance there can be, and it's shared with the conversation about women and secretive abuses of power men can hold over them.

    When we stop listening and aren't even willing to talk about it? When we've already discounted their pleas for help? When we've decided the victims are 99% liars and even hearing them hurts a cause? Well, the only service we ever did was to people like Harvey Weinstein. To people like a slave owner. To people like Larry Nassar. Why? Because we don't care and it's inconvenient to learn and know. We've made our choices through whatever twisted logic and what little information we already had before going in. "If women didn't like being molested at the age of 11, they would've said something." "Women are inflating this because one time 25 years ago they were flirted with and didn't like it," or whatever terrible thing that was. I think it was being touched and just deciding decades later they didn't like it. We tend to forget that kids at that age are usually held over by leverage, might have said something already, and usually have parents willing to overlook or even bend the truth in a system more than willing to hide it. We also tend to forget that some people repress these memories or completely misinterpret a vulgar act as a kind one and are only now trying to prevent it from happening again if they can. Jerry Sandusky benefited entirely from this same exact concept. He dangled a future in front of boys he molested the shit out of and they stayed quiet because to them they had NO choice but to accept the hell waiting for them.

    "Stuff like this has always happened and will happen in the future." I have to say this quote disgusts me personally. The very idea that something we don't truly understand deserves no attention because "that's life." Your daughter was raped by a neighbor. No reason to complain. That's life. Your husband was killed by a drunk driver. Why even talk about how to prevent drunk driving? That's life. Your cousin was shot by the cops in a wrongful identification of a weapon but it turns out the cop in question has a history of shooting black kids like your cousin "on accident." There's no point in trying to fix it. That's life. A country continually sends it's planes into the countries of other people and flattens schools, hospitals, neighborhoods, and occasionally a terrorist stronghold? Sorry to say we don't care. Why? That's life.

    But maybe even talking to each other doesn't matter. Because no matter what some people will remain ignorant their whole lives. Because what is learning and fixing problems when we assume there are no problems to fix? That's life.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Take twenty minutes out of your day. Learn. Share it with others so they're not howling like apes from the rooftops about how this is all a sham.



  10. #50
    PUNISHED T.O.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Chiraq
    Posts
    1,520
    Humans are always going to nig nog, the West was fucked once they accepted the Jews.

  11. #51
    obviously someone has to sometime bring somehow "the jews" into the discussion

  12. #52
    PUNISHED T.O.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Chiraq
    Posts
    1,520

  13. #53
    Crispickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    42,124
    honestly, discussing about this isn't useless, but it is slippery. There is clearly nobody here siding with rapists just like nobody is siding with shameless opportunism, even if it's easy to interpret it like that. But it's not a football match. I wanna hope all of us would offer a hand and a voice to anyone who didn't live #metoo as a game, or as a chance to get the spotlight, or as a way to throw shit to a long-time hated social way of thinking, but as an actual response to a traumatic wound for both the individual and the system.

    so please let's not fall into the trap of making things more simplistic than they need to be.
    ~Lemon~


  14. #54
    i dont understand the logic behind linking this post. i do not think anyone in their right mind approves that message

    ->in fact, the original poster emilylindin backtracked on her used words in the comments, after several fellow female commentators made her aware of the fact how wrong this statement was.

    in short: shitty post, backtracked in the comments, irritated other women as well as men

    even if she were to actually believe that (which is a possibility, since she might only have backtracked in the comments to not cause more outrage), she is not representing the movement or anything as some form of mascot or as someone who decides the rules about it. thats something no one really can, seeing how twitter works.

    just like radical islamists or radical fascists do not represent believers or conservatives when they make radical posts

  15. #55
    PUNISHED T.O.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Chiraq
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispickle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    honestly, discussing about this isn't useless, but it is slippery. There is clearly nobody here siding with rapists just like nobody is siding with shameless opportunism, even if it's easy to interpret it like that. But it's not a football match. I wanna hope all of us would offer a hand and a voice to anyone who didn't live #metoo as a game, or as a chance to get the spotlight, or as a way to throw shit to a long-time hated social way of thinking, but as an actual response to a traumatic wound for both the individual and the system.

    so please let's not fall into the trap of making things more simplistic than they need to be.
    Would you rather make it complex and never solve the problems or make simplify it and solve some problems but turn your back to others.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Take twenty minutes out of your day. Learn. Share it with others so they're not howling like apes from the rooftops about how this is all a sham.
    I’ve actually spent many, many hours researching this specific issue because of its importance. I could go a lot deeper into writing about these topics, but such length rarely works to convey information properly in a forum environment. To call this a sham would be dishonest, since this not only implies a conspiracy without evidence but also implies that the legitimate cases are either not legitimate or not worthy of consideration. Neither of which are acceptable stances for any reasonable person.

    But this thread is about the movement as a whole, and not individual cases. The movement is very flawed and is doing more harm than good, that I stand by.
    No.​

  17. #57
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    61,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A-fuckin'-greed. Could not have summarized a truly complex and wide spanning issue covering multiple view points like this better myself.

    I feel the same way about slavery, creating ghettos for the Irish and Chinese, denial of similar rights to homosexuals, lack of assistance or consideration for non Christian peoples, and displacement/removal of Native tribes. Seriously, do people even actually care that places of worship and small children are burned down in their backyards? Do they even want to hear about how crime is influenced and about pedophiles preying on small children or how drunk driving takes up one third of driving related deaths? It's not like it's going to stop these things. I have no clue why people think trying to spread information around is going to help anything. It's not like it's holding my personal attention because these matters just don't concern me and therefore they're all failed causes.

    Lemme list a few that I personally have issues with:

    Fucking Muslims bitching up and fucking down about how fucking hard it is for them to live in the world. Boo fucking hoo. Cry me a fucking river. It's the dirty muslims who deserve it for existing and wanting to just have the same rights as people they live alongside in peaceful countries they more or less have no greater conflict with aside from the social ones of the existing population who feels fear of "other." And I mean ALL THE TIME they talk about peaceful coexistence, but here they are every time someone is beat to death in the streets, or a mosque is burned, or aren't given shelter because of their appearance, or are hounded by cops, or are harassed, or are passed over by justice because of latent racism, or aren't capable of being elected because they believe in some multi armed smoke elephant you can't take pictures of since it'll steal your soul and don't believe in the One True God the Bible gave us. Seriously. So they want to build a mosque near the world trade center? And feel they should have the RIGHT to do this? Why don't they shut up about that shit? NOBODY CARES. And let's not be coy because we can all admit it was really a way to show victory over America and as a place to recruit and train further terrorists no matter what evidence is shown. Seriously. It's all they talk about. "I just want to pray in peace and build buildings for my brethren." Ever think that maybe we don't let you because you blab on and on and on about it? Maybe it's just because you shouldn't be able to do this instead? Seriously. Next time I hear some muslim complain about America bombing some muslim's neighborhood in Towelheadastan or how some Christian extremists are hurting/killing/oppressing them? I'm going to use this pearl of wisdom: "Stuff like this has always happened and will happen in the future." Because they need to get the fuck over it toot sweet. Honestly, when was the last time someone put a story in the paper about a muslim girl beaten to death by her peers something we even talked about? If we're not talking about it then it doesn't matter and isn't worth further consideration.

    Ugh. Same with black people. It's always, "Systemic racism from the inception of American slavery to today has prevented generations of black people from having the same opportunities and advantages of non-black people which in turn negatively impacts future generations." Every time. I'm so SICK of it. So what? Your parents or grandparents weren't allowed in college or good paying jobs and that has an effect on how children are raised and how that can affect education levels of children? That was so forty years ago. This is on you now and your lazy stupid ass. Your life is in your hands and I see no reason why I, a college graduate from a family of successful college graduates granting me the benefit of a lot of comfort and time, somehow have more opportunities than you since I'm just as free. Every single time a dirty ass black person tells me that the taint of racism is still there and it still affects black people from housing, to law, to police who have nothing to do with the past? I point out the good old Civil Rights movement that forced regular decent folk to live with them, forced the same folk to eat with them, to hire them, to rent to them. Hell, I also point out we elected a black guy who by all means was a charismatic and well spoken. So there. Racism is gone. If one exceptional black guy who had a confluence of opportunities not even normally available to most can do it? Then you have no more excuses. Stop drawing the race card and telling me how cops ten to one harass and beat and shoot and imprison you more. You ever think you might deserve it? You guys will NEVER get the vote because talking about it will solve nothing. People can stop bitching about it and how it affects their lives and the lives of their neighbors and countrymen.

    Do NOT get me started on Indians. No, not the Ali Baba flying carpet kind. The listerine swilling, scalping, cry on the roadside at trash kind. Code talkers. Look, yeah, maybe just maybe it wasn't exactly good of old Americans to basically destroy entire communities, forcefully adopt your kids and convert them to a religion or pretty much kill them, and then make sure that laws were passed pretty much fucking you over for a dozen generations. But seriously, can we just get over it? Nobody is talking about the underfunding of tribal people, the poor lands we shoved you on, or the fact that you can't have laws passed without the approval of the BIA and that makes it near impossible for you to properly utilize your land without giving in to stereotypes and gambling. Maybe if you just stopped being degenerate alcoholics? Like I said, I don't really want to get started on this one because I'd have to admit I know jack shit about the BIA, tribal culture, and the existences of reservation life in general since I absolutely hate it when people bring it up and that means I'd have to dedicate eight fucking minutes... Yeah, you heard me. EIGHT FUCKING MINUTES of my day to learn something new. Like I don't have enough shit to do already with my Wheel of Fortune and Last Man Standing. Get a fucking job you shiftless, relegated people.

    Same with those homoqueers. Stop the fucking whining about shared custody, laws preventing proper healthcare, marriage, last rites consideration, or any of that shit. You're never going to get it. Stop fucking whining already. NOBODY CARES.

    I mean, if it were so bad these people could just move back to wherever they come from except homosexuals, Natives, and slaves. I'd just be happy if they could shut up and let me live my life the way I want.

    Oh shit. I almost forgot about the Chinese. Remember when they didn't want to be blown up in railroad tunnels or forced into indentured servitude anymore like prostitution? Them fucking Powder Monkeys get blown up occasionally building railroads? Too bad! That's part of the job. They wanted a job? They got one and all the risks involved in it. I wish I was around back then to tell them to stop the fucking whining. Not that any of their conditions have really changed since people bringing light upon their plight has never EVER helped fixed any of their problems. So I guess I can still tell them to stop whining. In fact, yeah. STOP WHINING BECAUSE NOBODY CARES.

    It's not like windbagging about this stupid shit is going to solve anything even if people start speaking up about how "bad" these things are and organizing against it. I mean, seriously, these things don't really matter. I really wish people would just shut up about these issues rather than bandwagoning.

    So the next time a mosque is burned, a church is blown up, a school has a shooting, a police officer shoots a black kid? I'd rather people not bitch about it like whiny fucking children trying to pass laws and social programs to help reduce these crimes because they're not going to solve anything. It's not like this stuff hasn't always happened in the past and always will happen in the future. At no point in history have negative things been dealt with by public awareness and education and it NEVER WILL.

    Seriously. Fuck people who complain about completely legitimate things to complain about. They're not doing anybody any favors by shedding light on negative things and magnifying that light so negative things can be addressed.

    These people really should be doing something more important with their free time. Like, I dunno... Collecting stamps.





    ------------------------------------





    So... Just in case this has slipped by this was all sarcasm. At no point do I really feel this way about any of these subjects primarily because things like empathy, cultural understanding, a little research, and understanding long held frustrations tend to explode outward can go a long way in understanding other cultures, people, movements, etc. Note how I put contradictory things about all of those groups in there or completely fucked up understanding how their lives work and sometimes even just blatant racist terms because I was being intentionally ignorant because when we won't even let people talk or vent, or just assume what they say holds no inherent meaning then we usually fuck things up. Double note I got historical facts wrong such as black people not having the vote and same sex marriage. Two things which seemed to be "small" to people once upon a time but through persistence was solved.

    Towelheadastan and the mixture of a smoke monster and Ganesh and Mohammed? I actually kinda liked that one for some reason even though I have heard people make pretty much the same claim. But it doesn't matter. What does matter is this: When we assume these things (I say people asking for justice and equality is just some minor things, ha). When we assume these things are flashes in the pan we tend to not even listen to what they have to say and we stop growing and understanding. Partially because it challenges us as people with opposing beliefs. Partially because we're lazy. Mostly because we're lazy, actually. Some of the stuff I've seen in this thread could've been easily dispelled with a few minutes of research and education. Stuff I wasn't aware people NEEDED to research to know. And when we won't even give it the base line consideration of that? Well... We tend to have pearls of wisdom like, "Stuff like this has always happened and will happen in the future." Like if continued problems is an excuse to do NOTHING at all about them.

    If talking about slavery didn't start a war over it, what did? Random chance? A Magic 8 ball? (States's Rights! It's heritage! YEEHAW!) American Chinese didn't get better considerations for life because they eventually "pulled themselves up by the bootstraps." It took a lot of self organizing and communication from the greater public for acceptance and opportunities. Muslims today struggle, but if talking about it isn't enough then I guess we should ignore it entirely? I guess the fact 2016 being the biggest year for American/Muslim violence is a non topic despite the violence rate had been more or less flat give or take a few dips and rises in the past eight years and just spiked hard in 15-16? These are arguments from the deepest pits of ignorance there can be, and it's shared with the conversation about women and secretive abuses of power men can hold over them.

    When we stop listening and aren't even willing to talk about it? When we've already discounted their pleas for help? When we've decided the victims are 99% liars and even hearing them hurts a cause? Well, the only service we ever did was to people like Harvey Weinstein. To people like a slave owner. To people like Larry Nassar. Why? Because we don't care and it's inconvenient to learn and know. We've made our choices through whatever twisted logic and what little information we already had before going in. "If women didn't like being molested at the age of 11, they would've said something." "Women are inflating this because one time 25 years ago they were flirted with and didn't like it," or whatever terrible thing that was. I think it was being touched and just deciding decades later they didn't like it. We tend to forget that kids at that age are usually held over by leverage, might have said something already, and usually have parents willing to overlook or even bend the truth in a system more than willing to hide it. We also tend to forget that some people repress these memories or completely misinterpret a vulgar act as a kind one and are only now trying to prevent it from happening again if they can. Jerry Sandusky benefited entirely from this same exact concept. He dangled a future in front of boys he molested the shit out of and they stayed quiet because to them they had NO choice but to accept the hell waiting for them.

    "Stuff like this has always happened and will happen in the future." I have to say this quote disgusts me personally. The very idea that something we don't truly understand deserves no attention because "that's life." Your daughter was raped by a neighbor. No reason to complain. That's life. Your husband was killed by a drunk driver. Why even talk about how to prevent drunk driving? That's life. Your cousin was shot by the cops in a wrongful identification of a weapon but it turns out the cop in question has a history of shooting black kids like your cousin "on accident." There's no point in trying to fix it. That's life. A country continually sends it's planes into the countries of other people and flattens schools, hospitals, neighborhoods, and occasionally a terrorist stronghold? Sorry to say we don't care. Why? That's life.

    But maybe even talking to each other doesn't matter. Because no matter what some people will remain ignorant their whole lives. Because what is learning and fixing problems when we assume there are no problems to fix? That's life.

    - - - Updated - - -




    Take twenty minutes out of your day. Learn. Share it with others so they're not howling like apes from the rooftops about how this is all a sham.
    Holy essay batman

  18. #58
    Skraawwk!! Makenzye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1970
    Posts
    17,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispickle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    honestly, discussing about this isn't useless, but it is slippery. There is clearly nobody here siding with rapists just like nobody is siding with shameless opportunism, even if it's easy to interpret it like that. But it's not a football match. I wanna hope all of us would offer a hand and a voice to anyone who didn't live #metoo as a game, or as a chance to get the spotlight, or as a way to throw shit to a long-time hated social way of thinking, but as an actual response to a traumatic wound for both the individual and the system.

    so please let's not fall into the trap of making things more simplistic than they need to be.
    I like you a lot, Crispi, so please don't take this the wrong way.

    What you're saying here and what you've done in this thread don't agree. You say you want to offer a hand or a voice to victims but your default position is people who complain about this are 99% likely to not be an attention hungry victim. Or completely misrepresenting what people are complaining about. You say you would like there to be something, but you've presented the most simple way of looking at it which could only be a little more flat if you just never added an article about Italy's social feelings about the situation itself.



  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i dont understand the logic behind linking this post. i do not think anyone in their right mind approves that message

    ->in fact, the original poster emilylindin backtracked on her used words in the comments, after several fellow female commentators made her aware of the fact how wrong this statement was.

    in short: shitty post, backtracked in the comments, irritated other women as well as men

    even if she were to actually believe that (which is a possibility, since she might only have backtracked in the comments to not cause more outrage), she is not representing the movement or anything as some form of mascot or as someone who decides the rules about it. thats something no one really can, seeing how twitter works.

    just like radical islamists or radical fascists do not represent believers or conservatives when they make radical posts
    That’s just the thing though, she is (or was) representing the movement. Although the movement had existed beforehand, she was a spark that caused the current wave.

    The difference between movements like this and something like Islam or Christianity is that the latter is based on texts. No matter what people do in the name of these religions, anything that is not in accordance with the texts can’t be considered a part of those religions (suicide bombing for example). But movements like this suffer from the opposite issue, that the actions and words of the participants become the movement because there is no #MeToo rule book.
    No.​

  20. #60
    Magistrate of Hentai Ccrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    england
    Posts
    2,535
    Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    because people are victims of crimes we should look the other way when other people get touched without their consent?
    notice how they only complained after they whored their way to the top of their careers?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •