Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does immodest dressing lead to sexual abuse?

Is immodest dressing one factor that leads to an increase in sexual exploitation and abuse, particularly against women?

I argue that it does. That when large sections of the populations resort to immodest clothing this will inevitably overtime lead to a sharp increase in sexual exploitation and abuse.

Note: This thread is not about whether or not victims of sexual abuse deserve what they got just because of how they were dressed, no one with sense thinks anyone deserves to be sexually abused. This thread is only to discuss whether or not widespread immodest clothing leads to society having more and more incidents of sexual abuse and exploitation. Nor is this thread entertaining the idea that immodest dress is the only reason for the increase in sexual exploitation, only that is is a factor.
    No.​

Yes, but its not the major factor.
    Most people willing to ruin their lives for one fuck are mentally deranged anyways.

People should be able to control themselves after seeing a bit of skin.

The Commander From Hell

We The North

I dont think so

I do think it's a factor, I don't think the people showing skin are the problem though, it's those with a weak and twisted mind that should be kept off the streets or receive help that are the problem.

RIP Chester, you'll always be loved and missed.

The Gourmet Legion - President Ichiryuu
    Join The Toriko Club, Read Toriko here!

Being a pathetic loser leads to sexual assault. A pathetic loser will sexual assault regardless how his victim is dressed

it can lead to it, but it should not be used as a way to blame victims, who should be able to dress how they want (within reason of course) in certain places without being harassed by certain individuals

Finalbeta's Final Meltdown
    Quote Originally Posted by Finalbeta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

And when the moon will be up I will still be on the group and when the sun then will rise I still will surprise. Make me join do it for me I'm a friend of yours please make me fucking join I need it. Too much freaking has been passed and I cried and cried and cried and cried and cried and cried and cried and cried and cried just in order to join

Please my man please do it for me I need it I need I need it I need this I just need this make me join I fucking need it to continue my NF path from where it ended.

This must happen

Don't stop make it happen make it happen my dream

Don't stop make it happeeeeeennm

Don't stop make it happeeeeeeeeen

I just need so for my life you have to fucking do it please help me

I will do good I will do indeed good give me trust for once my man please I know you can do it? Of course you can. Please your heart is filled in kindness and I know that so help me I need it. I need your love I need your help and this is all the fuck I can prove to you please accept me in the group. Accept me at least once. Please.

Many women use less clothes to get attention from men, but one thing is attention and another one to kidnap her and damage her.

If there is a feminist on TMF wil probably hate me to say that women should wear "good clothes" like... There is a place for everything so dont be in almost underwear on the streets at night if you dont want to face problems.
    ʕᴥʔ
    My Blog

Retired Legend #3
    18/2/18

A women who decides she goes butt naked is allowed to do so and should be treated like a man who does it
    Which is with a weird worried look and a call to the cops

Anyone who even remotely uses clothing as an excuse for anything has lost control over his life

Not that I remember many cases where the culprit tried to blame the clothing of the victim in the first place. It's mostly religious propaganda

This is basically the same shit as blaming a rape victim.

The kinds of people that are willing to perform sexual crimes are going to do it regardless, whether the victim is naked or wearing a sweater and jeans.

Blaming victims is just another way of trying to exonerating the perpetrator.

Yes. Similarly, if you're not obese, you're somewhat more likely to be sexually harassed or abused or assaulted. Not a particularly interesting point.
    "What!? Obviously Doflamingo and any other New World saga antagonist can easily beat that Whitebeard pirate with the top hat whose name I forgot, the one who appeared for a few panels at Marineford. Also Barreltheif is my favorite poster on NF." - Eiichiro Oda (SBS)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5344900/

Some excerpts from this article:

Sexual violence is a consequence of a dehumanized perception of female bodies that aggressors acquire through their exposure and interpretation of objectified body images.
    According to objectification theory (Fredrickson and Roberts, 1997), female bodies are scrutinized and evaluated to a greater degree than male bodies, leading to sexual objectification of women. The objectifying gaze is known to occur in interpersonal encounters and media representations of women (Fredrickson and Roberts, 1997; Kilbourne and Jhally, 2000). In recent years, psychologists have investigated the objectification processes in detail. Provocative clothing that leads to deviation from routine modesty norms approaches objectification. Kennedy (1993) defines provocative dress as clothing that deviates from the norm by alluding to a more sexually charged context than the one in which it is worn. Note that the emphasis is on the margin of acceptability.
    It was found that when wearing underwear or a swimsuit, a person could be viewed as a mere body that exists for the pleasure and use of others (Bartky, 1990). Other studies found that swimsuit-wearing women expressed more body shame and performed worse on a math test than did sweater-wearing women (Fredrickson et al., 1998). Sexual objectification has been related to decreased mind attribution (Loughnan et al., 2010) and diminished agency perception (Cikara et al., 2011). Sexualized women are perceived as less competent and less fully human (Vaes et al., 2011).
    When women sexualize their appearance, they are at a far greater risk than men. A focus on appearance, instead of personality, increased the objectifying gaze toward women, as demonstrated by increased eye movements toward their chests and waists compared to their faces (Gervais et al., 2013b).
    Higher levels of self-objectification have also resulted in unipolar depression, sexual dysfunction, and eating disorders (McNelis-Kline, 2000; Prichard and Tiggemann, 2005). When put in a self-objectifying situation (such as wearing a one-piece, Speedo bathing suit), both men and women of all ethnicities experienced negative outcomes. Sexual objectification has more adverse consequences for women than for men (Moradi and Huang, 2008; Saguy et al., 2010; Gervais et al., 2011), affecting mental health, intellectual performance and increasing the risk of depression (Jack, 1991; Whiffen et al., 2007). Objectification also tends to make women behave as lesser beings in social interactions (Saguy et al., 2010).
    As stated previously, exposure to sexually objectifying media has been linked to self-objectification, body shame, anxiety over appearance, and an acceptance of the normative belief that women are sexual objects (Ward and Friedman, 2006; Peter and Valkenburg, 2007). Lynch (2007) showed that body-revealing behaviors, when practiced within social contexts, served to reinforce patterns of sexual objectification of women rather than an expression of female sexual agency (also see Levy, 2005).
    The authors report that objectification of others and self-objectification was more acute in Australia, Italy, UK, and USA compared to Japan, India, and Pakistan.
    @Halaros 536; This is the article I was talking about.

What do you guys make of this research?

@R; Given your opinion on the matter, I'm curious to what you think about this research.
    Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 01-27-2018 at 12:44 AM.
    No.​

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiryuu View Post
    I do think it's a factor, I don't think the people showing skin are the problem though, it's those with a weak and twisted mind that should be kept off the streets or receive help that are the problem.

What needs to be considered is this: How did those people become so twisted in the first place? Research suggests the fact that they were bombarded with so many images of women being objectified since childhood is a large contributing factor.
    No.​

@Pimp of Pimps;

What do you think of fully clothed women who end up being raped?

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium Creed View Post
    @Pimp of Pimps;

What do you think of fully clothed women who end up being raped?
    Well, my argument is not that women only get raped or assaulted because they show skin in public. Rather, my argument is that repeated exposure of skin, highly sexualized images etc leads to an increase in sexual assault, particularly against women, because it leads to the population subconsciously seeing women as objects.

So yeah, women who are fully clothed can and will get raped unfortunately. But that doesn't change the fact that years of bombarding a person with the message that women are slabs of meat is going to have an effect.
    Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 01-27-2018 at 01:00 AM.
    No.​

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    Well, my argument is not that women only get raped or assaulted because they show skin in public. Rather, my argument is that repeated exposure of skin, highly sexualized images etc leads to an increase in sexual assault, particularly against women, because it leads to the population subconsciously seeing women as objects. .

So yeah, women who are fully clothed can and will get raped unfortunately. but that doesn't change the fact that years of bombarding a man with the message that women are slabs of meat is going to have an effect.
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to argue or anything, I was just curious what your thoughts on fully clothed women.

So do you think the fact that we objectify women who are immodest just has to do with how men are wired? Also, are there any studies on the vice versa of this subject (women raping men)?

I don't think it's a factor. I haven't seen any evidence that rapists mostly target lightly dressed women and I don't think that someone who has decided to rape is gonna care whether the victim he has chosen dresses like a slut or not.

You could say something different. That broader slutty attitudes like for example 16 year old girls going to nightclubs half dressed drinking till they can't tell how many fingers they have etc can lead to them getting raped, or something like semi rape (where it's not clear whether she gave consent or not), but that's a bit different.

Dressing like a slut is bad, but I can't see how it would increase rapes. I don't think it does.

Now, let me comment a bit on PoPs research. I think that the "a research showed that" is one of the plagues of the modern society, because it's easy to show anything with flawed statistics. I can separate people in a group of people farting 5 times a day and another one with people farting 20 times a day, run them through some maths tests and then try to create some relationship between fart frequency and math aptitude, because that's the factor I was focusing on. That's how I view the following:

Other studies found that swimsuit-wearing women expressed more body shame and performed worse on a math test than did sweater-wearing women
    I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Other than that, objectification and oversexualization do have negative consequences, that far is known. But that research that I'm seeing doesn't seem too serious to me, just like the majority of research in social sciences. That's true of the hard sciences as well of course. Anyone who's interested should check Ioannidis' famous meta - analysis showing that most published research findings are wrong.

The research aside, one could make an argument that since rapists objectify women the objectification of women could lead to more rapists, but the reverse doesn't follow naturally, objectification itself is a vague term and the research PoP showed doesn't convince me for that. Not only that, but I'm sure the more safe findings of clinical psychology would dispute the possibility of such things playing an important factor in the creation of a rapist.

One could argue, that such phenomena could make people more shallow, make their relationships suffer and ton of other bad things, but saying that they will turn someone to a rapist, I think holds, as much weight as, video games turning people into killers, upon a close examination.
    Last edited by Halaros 536; 01-27-2018 at 01:04 AM.

Yes, and if you use ranch dressing you deserve what you get.
    Quote Originally Posted by X
    Come her and fuck me like a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y
    Why is this even a thead?

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    What needs to be considered is this: How did those people become so twisted in the first place? Research suggests the fact that they were bombarded with so many images of women being objectified since childhood is a large contributing factor.
    I can't recognise the image of women being objectified to the point that people would get messed up minds, oversexualised maybe. Perhaps in other cultures it's different, but can't say I see it that bad here. Also the way you are raised obviously plays a role in this, if you have bad parenting or childhood friends all the time.

RIP Chester, you'll always be loved and missed.

The Gourmet Legion - President Ichiryuu
    Join The Toriko Club, Read Toriko here!

Quote Originally Posted by Halaros 536 View Post
    I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Other than objectification and oversexualization do have negative consequences, that far is known. But that research that I'm seeing doesn't seem too serious to me, just like the majority of research in social sciences. That's true of the hard sciences as well of course. Anyone who's interested should check Ioannidis' famous meta - analysis showing that most published research findings are wrong.
    I can respond to the rest of your post later, but as for this particular point I have come across it before in my research. Women who wear very little clothes experience more anxiety when doing a task even if they are in complete privacy. women doing the same exact thing while fully clothed, also in complete privacy, do not experience that anxiety.

And yeah, studies can be wrong. But they should be investigated on an individual basis.
    Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 01-27-2018 at 01:06 AM.
    No.​