Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    if i'm the one hosting, i'll prioritize cutting the edges on making it more accessible and easy to play than it was in the last outs.

people who don't think will have time to solo could join in pairs, as long as they want to play that's welcome.

If at all possible I'd like it to be a CyK game because they are quite simply great.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If at all possible I'd like it to be a CyK game because they are quite simply great.
    it'll be cyk but i don't want it to be a time sinker

i'd rather have people talking longer in the thread and spending less time in making the strats if i can help it

from my part, i'll make sure to make crispy corners and refresh the maps pool

@gn_x00;

so the basics is that every character gets 3 basic abilities: attack, fortify/defend, and scout. attack is self explanatory, how is works is that you can only attack another unit if both are on the same/til/square, either currently or you/them move onto the same tile/square. terrain may or may not provide mods to attack power. attack power depends on a character's tier in martial strength and/or strategical/tactical prowess. a top tier martial like Moubu will have more attack than a top tier strategist like Reebok. your character will auto attack any character that moves onto it's current location, unless your character's action was to defend/fortify

fortify/defend is having your character adopt a defensive stance to blunt an enemy attack. it's a damage cut essentially to the attacker's attack power. say Reebok defends against Moubu's 10k attack. his unit is going to take damage but not the full 10k, something like 8k or whatevs. defend/fortify values will depend on a character's perceived canon competence in that regard, it means guys like Moubu can still defend/fortify but their damage cut will be less than a guy like Reebok. there's gonna be two types of defend/fortify: static and dynamic. static is if you do not move during a "day" phase and just hold your current position. dynamic is you moving to a location and then putting up defenses, like moving from a plains tile to a mountain tile and going defensive. former will get more priority in the ability tree and allows you to get mods from terrain (like hill or mountain). the latter is just giving you a damage cut without the terrain bonus (since you move there and didn't have time to fully put up defenses against the enemy)

scout is having your unit send out some scouts one tile ahead in the direction you specify. they will be able to sense an enemy unit within one space of their location (omni directional). if you send a scout into a tile where an enemy main army is, they'll be killed and you'll just be told you lost the scout in the writeup. scouts that run into an enemy scout will not fight, you'll just get a writeup that they encountered a small unit. scouts will automatically return to their respective units at the end of the phase, with the info they gather given to you via pm and/or writeup. this means you'll have to end out scouts again every phase, if you want to.

ability tree will be this:

passive > scout > special one > special two (if needed) > fortify (static) > attack > fortify (dynamic)

damage will be calc-ed like this:

HP is equal to the amount of troops you give to a character, like if Reebok had 50k troops, then he has 50k HP. attack power of a character depends on each character, a character like Moubu will have 10k base attack power while someone like Duke Hyou will have 8k attack power.

if Reebok is attacked by Moubu, then he loses 10k men with each attack, ending up with 40k after the first attack. damage mods will be calc-ed before an actual attack, like if Moubu attacks Reebok while the latter is defending, then Reebok will only take 5k damage since he was defending and had the damage cut, likewise, if Reebok was defending a mountain, he'll take even less cuz terrain mods (or even 0 if we want to add terrain mods to both defense and attack power)

in addition to these: characters will have specials and passive custom tailored to their canon feats. like, Kanki would have a passive that increases his damage in the forest terrain and allows him to be undetected by scouts or something. there will also be stuff like Ryuudou which can serve as an offensive defending tech where Reebok and GHM can deal damage to an attacker and blunt an attack on them.

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

@Void;
    feels like i didn't get a lot of things about what you have in mind. So the player doesn't really know where the enemy pieces is? imo just let make the pieces "hidden" if they are inside forest (and maybe mountain too) if you have no pieces inside the mentioned forest.

and i still kinda confused with the damage formula that you used here, but seems like you're pretty much gonna use your own made up value instead of the canon stats? still need formula for the damage reduction that you make example of.

also, i still kinda think that there's too many incentive to just stack things to your best pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by gn_x00 View Post
    @Void;
    feels like i didn't get a lot of things about what you have in mind. So the player doesn't really know where the enemy pieces is? imo just let make the pieces "hidden" if they are inside forest (and maybe mountain too) if you have no pieces inside the mentioned forest.

and i still kinda confused with the damage formula that you used here, but seems like you're pretty much gonna use your own made up value instead of the canon stats? still need formula for the damage reduction that you make example of.

also, i still kinda think that there's too many incentive to just stack things to your best pieces.
    I didn't talk about that part yet cuz we're just focusing on basics but basically like a map AG, you don't know where the enemy is so you'll have to initially probe. think of it like AoE's fog of war

like I told you before, the exact values and abilities will be made later when we finish fleshing out the game. attack values of martial characters will be proportional to their martial stats in canon and same thing with strategists and their intellect

it's hp (of defender or receiver) - (attack power (of attacker) - fortify/defend (of defender or receiver if they used the ability)) = resulting hp (of the piece getting attacked).

so 50k HP Reebok gets attacked by 10k attack Moubu and Reebok is defending. Reebok's fortification ability gives him 2k damage cut so:

50k - (10k - 2k) = 42k men/hp left for Reebok

damage mods apply before that, either from passives and/or specials.

again, we can address that when we get there, can we just finish the basics first before we keep hopping to other issues? we can just cap it to 50k for your cic and 25k for your other pieces. a leading general like your cic or someone like Akou or Gyouun can have a max of two officers under them. I envision a 3 piece versus 3 piece match anyways for simplicity, people can split their army if they want so they can probe the map faster and better

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    I didn't talk about that part yet cuz we're just focusing on basics but basically like a map AG, you don't know where the enemy is so you'll have to initially probe. think of it like AoE's fog of war

like I told you before, the exact values and abilities will be made later when we finish fleshing out the game. attack values of martial characters will be proportional to their martial stats in canon and same thing with strategists and their intellect

it's hp (of defender or receiver) - (attack power (of attacker) - fortify/defend (of defender or receiver if they used the ability)) = resulting hp (of the piece getting attacked).

so 50k HP Reebok gets attacked by 10k attack Moubu and Reebok is defending. Reebok's fortification ability gives him 2k damage cut so:

50k - (10k - 2k) = 42k men/hp left for Reebok

damage mods apply before that, either from passives and/or specials.

again, we can address that when we get there, can we just finish the basics first before we keep hopping to other issues? we can just cap it to 50k for your cic and 25k for your other pieces. a leading general like your cic or someone like Akou or Gyouun can have a max of two officers under them. I envision a 3 piece versus 3 piece match anyways for simplicity, people can split their army if they want so they can probe the map faster and better
    i never really play map ag, so i don't really know how that works.

what i picture at first when making this is really a board game, kinda similar to old games like Yu-gi-oh duelist of the roses and/or capsule monster coliseum where the pieces locations are known (well, can implement tweaks like fog of war if too far, in forest, etc). Host's will just need to calc the damage and maybe update the positions in the map without too many write up as those "moves" will be done by the players in the thread as it's a turn based game

my version of damage is using normal canon value, so personally it's less work to do for the maker and we can just start doing the trait/abilities of each pieces to balance things up. But well, if you can take more works to work on the details of each characters then we can use yours.
    Last edited by gn_x00; 12-31-2018 at 12:52 AM.

i never really play map ag, so i don't really know how that works.

what i picture at first when making this is really a board game, kinda similar to old games like Yu-gi-oh duelist of the roses and/or capsule monster coliseum where the pieces locations are known (well, can implement tweaks like fog of war if too far, in forest, etc). Host's will just need to calc the damage and maybe update the positions in the map without too many write up as those "moves" will be done by the players in the thread as it's a turn based game

my version of damage is using normal canon value, so personally it's less work to do for the maker and we can just start doing the trait/abilities of each pieces to balance things up. But well, if you can take more works to work on the details of each characters then we can use yours.
    oh shit, you didn't play the birthday or nardo AGs

I mean, it'd be nice if it was like duelists of the roses, but we don't have a program to do our dirty work for us unfortunately

I don't mind coming up with numbers and abilities but the problem is, like when I first brainstormed the character sheets months ago, is balancing while also staying true to the canon feats. I found it harder to make the martial generals worth bidding over the more balanced and strategic oriented characters.

oh shit, you didn't play the birthday or nardo AGs

I mean, it'd be nice if it was like duelists of the roses, but we don't have a program to do our dirty work for us unfortunately

I don't mind coming up with numbers and abilities but the problem is, like when I first brainstormed the character sheets months ago, is balancing while also staying true to the canon feats. I found it harder to make the martial generals worth bidding over the more balanced and strategic oriented characters.
    when i make the damage formula, what i have in mind for them is something like "1.5x str atk modifier" or something. Making them a glass canon that can almost one shot almost all non-defensive pieces. well, technically the real glass canon is int char archers pieces.

you can actually make them a universal buffers too with a cic trait or something. I mean Moubu/Kanmei does have canon feat of morale rising. And we can just tag Gaimou along with similar weaker ability for game purposes

rather than making the abilities unique, can probably do something similar to fate where an ability is shared by some characters with different numbers.
    Duke, Shin, Keisha, Gyou'un will all have "instinct" trait/ability/skill which have different numbers with something like Duke is highest, etc

Houken can probably be used as a cheat card to remove 1 general with lower than 95 canon str or something
    we can just remove him from our game tbh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by gn_x00; 12-31-2018 at 03:06 AM.

when i make the damage formula, what i have in mind for them is something like "1.5x str atk modifier" or something. Making them a glass canon that can almost one shot almost all non-defensive pieces. well, technically the real glass canon is int char archers pieces.

you can actually make them a universal buffers too with a cic trait or something. I mean Moubu/Kanmei does have canon feat of morale rising. And we can just tag Gaimou along with similar weaker ability for game purposes

rather than making the abilities unique, can probably do something similar to fate where an ability is shared by some characters with different numbers.
    Duke, Shin, Keisha, Gyou'un will all have "instinct" trait/ability/skill which have different numbers with something like Duke is highest, etc

Houken can probably be used as a cheat card to remove 1 general with lower than 95 canon str or something
    we can just remove him from our game tbh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    that's pretty much what martial characters are gonna be, well, if you don't give them enough hp that is

I was thinking of a way to make leadership useful, only thing I came up with so far was a passive that increased attack and maybe a damage cut when the character has low hp

well of course people with instinct will share the trait, with varying levels of ability depending on their canon feats but things that are unique should stay unique, like Kanki and Keisha. plus it'd have more incentive to bid for

I'd honestly not have Houken in the game tbh, but if he was, he'd probably be a sub you can attach to your general piece that gives you the ability to one shot the opposing general one time only lol

that's pretty much what martial characters are gonna be, well, if you don't give them enough hp that is

I was thinking of a way to make leadership useful, only thing I came up with so far was a passive that increased attack and maybe a damage cut when the character has low hp

well of course people with instinct will share the trait, with varying levels of ability depending on their canon feats but things that are unique should stay unique, like Kanki and Keisha. plus it'd have more incentive to bid for

I'd honestly not have Houken in the game tbh, but if he was, he'd probably be a sub you can attach to your general piece that gives you the ability to one shot the opposing general one time only lol
    Can use leadership as a limit on how many troops you can give them, making it some sort of hp stats limitation like my original idea. You're not using canon stats anyway, so it's kinda okay to not use it

Can use leadership as a limit on how many troops you can give them, making it some sort of hp stats limitation like my original idea. You're not using canon stats anyway, so it's kinda okay to not use it
    we could try that after the test run

i think you could put some QG , and destroy it as win condition( like the King in chess game)

the two players will have the same amount of pieces ? how much ? ( 8 (the entire 1st line) or 16 ( the two lines)
    my suggest is to make the 2 players have different amounts.

at the start you select 1 general and 2 Subs ( 3 ``cards``) and this 3 define how much troops you can put on the field
    Ex . ousen ( 7 troops) + shin (3 trrops) + ouhon(2 troops) , you will have 16 pieces, 3 especial( Ousen, Ouhon and Shin) 12 ``generic`` troops, and ``The QG`` himself.
    all of these 3 ``especial pieces`` give habilities to your generic troops , like - Moubu = all your troops deal X more base damage / Shin = All your troops can move 1 aditional square in his own 1st move .
    and a unique skill.
    ex. Kanki = this character can change places with any enemy unit in a 3x3 area(except ``the QG``) / keisha = you can move any enemy unit, excet ``the QG``1 square in any direction.

the damage can be calculated that way = roll a dice at the start of a batlle (base damage X the dice result - base defense X dice result)
    i suggest to put the STR points on a scale of 1 to 10 (or 12) .
    ex = all generic troops will have 4 STR and 4 DEF
    you attack a enemy troop ( the enemy general give them +2 base DEF and yours give +2 base STR, so 6/4 vs 4/6)
    you get a 5 in dice and your enemy 4 , so 6x5(30) - 4x6(24) . so 6 damage to enemy troop. if the DEF stats suprass the STR the damage is 0