Has Anyone Read These Series?

Looking for a new fantasy series to start. I know for sure @White; has read The Stormlight Archive.

The Stormlight Archive - Brando Sanderson
    The Powder Mage Trilogy - Brain McClellan
    The Gentleman Bastard Series - Scott Lynch
    The Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
    Mortal Engines - Phillip Reeve

The Commander From Hell

We The North

FE is probably a bigger fantasy novel nut than me and I know hes read the stormlight archives which he has boasted is better than asoiaf.

Ive only the read The Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson, and havent actually read any of the other series youve listed

Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FE is probably a bigger fantasy novel nut than me and I know hes read the stormlight archives which he has boasted is better than asoiaf.

Ive only the read The Mistborn trilogy by Sanderson, and havent actually read any of the other series youve listed
    How big is it? Like in terms of dedication?

Thanks to Cake~

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    You were made to be a TMF poster. You have the right temperament and can exchange insults with anyone. I know the majority of the site hates your entrails, but that just makes you more of a Temeffian to me.

Well Sanderson finished the Mistborn trilogy and is already in the process of writing its 4 part successor of which he has finished 3 out of the 4 books for that, so hes a pretty dedicated writer. He also finished the wheel of time series as well when the author of that passed away, so hes a much more devoted writer than Martin

As for the stormlight archive, theres 3 books out for that in a planned 10 with the latest book being released 3 months ago so the dedication is there.

If you want any more information about the series, youd have to ask @Fecal Excrmnt;

x is banned lol

but yeah stormlight is dope. rich with lore and magic and great characters. one of my gripes with asoiaf was the whole premise of 'magic is gone from this world.' which made it more of a medieval politics book than a fantasy book lol. and george's magic system - and i use the word "system" lightly - is very unstructured and scattered, unlike the one in stormlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal Excrmnt View Post
    x is banned lol

but yeah stormlight is dope. rich with lore and magic and great characters. one of my gripes with asoiaf was the whole premise of 'magic is gone from this world.' which made it more of a medieval politics book than a fantasy book lol. and george's magic system - and i use the word "system" lightly - is very unstructured and scattered, unlike the one in stormlight.
    What's the series to serve as an introduction to enter this?

Thanks to Cake~

You were made to be a TMF poster. You have the right temperament and can exchange insults with anyone. I know the majority of the site hates your entrails, but that just makes you more of a Temeffian to me.

what do you mean? like to get acquainted to Sanderson's writing and magic stuff?

Night Angel is pretty hit or miss.
    It's not great but not terrible, very easy to read though.
    His new Lightbringer series is much better, Night Angel was probably his learning phase.

Sandersons dedication is unreal though.
    All the series bar one and a couple standalone novels take place in the same dwarf galaxy, just on different planets at different times.

Mistborn for example started as medieval fantasy, it's sequel series is basically western steampunk with magic, and then the next series will be space age fantasy.
    Stormlight Archive takes place sometime after Elantris since a character from that novel appears in the series.

Basically they're all interconnected with recurring characters from other series. IIRC, it's all supposed to culminate at the end of Stormlight.
    It's fairly ambitious, but that also necessitates alot of planning, so you'll find it very well written.

Could probably start with Warbreaker by Sanderson, it's a standalone novel, but it'd serve as a good introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Numinous One View Post
    Night Angel is pretty hit or miss.
    It's not great but not terrible, very easy to read though.
    His new Lightbringer series is much better, Night Angel was probably his learning phase.

Sandersons dedication is unreal though.
    All the series bar one and a couple standalone novels take place in the same dwarf galaxy, just on different planets at different times.

Mistborn for example started as medieval fantasy, it's sequel series is basically western steampunk with magic, and then the next series will be space age fantasy.
    Stormlight Archive takes place sometime after Elantris since a character from that novel appears in the series.

Basically they're all interconnected with recurring characters from other series. IIRC, it's all supposed to culminate at the end of Stormlight.
    It's fairly ambitious, but that also necessitates alot of planning, so you'll find it very well written.

Could probably start with Warbreaker by Sanderson, it's a standalone novel, but it'd serve as a good introduction.
    why didnt u tell me u were a cosmere nut

did u finish oathbringer?

what do you mean? like to get acquainted to Sanderson's writing and magic stuff?
    Yeah I mean are they based on the same universe? What should I start reading first

Thanks to Cake~

why didnt u tell me u were a cosmere nut

did u finish oathbringer?

Nah been busy only like halfway through it

x is banned lol

I personally like that in Asoiaf though. You see tropes like the magic is disappearing from the world in a lot of fantasy works with the biggest of them being the lord of the rings trilogy (where its executed much better than it is in asoiaf though) where they constantly make references to the disappearance of the dragons, how the power and influence of the elves has weakened over the centuries, and how the dwarves are losing their incredible ability to smithy legendary and mystical weapons .

You even see it somewhat in the mistborn trilogy with the burning of the metal, and how their was meant to be an ongoing process to make society more uniformed by removing the possibility for anyone to have the powers of a mistborn, outside of the noble families only for a random orphan to appear with them.

I think that trope can be executed very well, but more oft than not its bitter sweet
    Last edited by White; 01-19-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VICE View Post
    Yeah I mean are they based on the same universe? What should I start reading first
    you can hop into stormlight without preamble, it's not really a requirement to read his other books. they're set in the same universe, yeah, but on different planets. the intersecting characters are kinda spaced apart in the narrative so you won't really miss much if you dont read the other books first.

but this is the reading order if you actually wanna go the long way:

Elantris (2005)
    Mistborn Trilogy
    Warbreaker (2009)
    The Stormlight Archive: The Way of Kings (2010)
    The Stormlight Archive: Words of Radiance (2014)
    The Stormlight Archive: Oathbringer (2017)
    Mistborn: The Alloy of Law (2011)
    Mistborn: Shadows of Self
    Mistborn: Bands of Mourning
    Arcanum Unbounded

something like that