Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moral dilemma

Moral dilemma

Someone has been stealing food from the store you work at for two weeks. The boss at the store calls the cops and wants them to investigate. You want to help them find the one who keeps stealing food. But then the following night you hang out with a friend. All of a sudden he tells you that he has been poor the past two weeks and so he has been forced to steal food. You realize that your friend is the culprit.

What do you do?
    Last edited by Neko; 01-15-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Help them pay and say it was a missunderstood
    ʕᴥʔ
    My Blog

Retired Legend #3
    18/2/18

I try to help the friend with money as much as I can. Talk with him and ask him to stop stealing from that store.

I don't tell anything to the boss nor the cops. Friends > Random People

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Torch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I try to help the friend with money as much as I can. Talk with him and ask him to stop stealing from that store.

easily

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    saying anything is most likely gonna get him fired, and boss might also press charges

Yeah this is my first course of action. But if he keeps stealing more or starts doing worse stuff despite my help/advice i probably will have no choice but to tell the cops.

this lol, not much of a dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    this lol, not much of a dilemma
    Yeah will do more of those so starting with a easy one and then i up the stakes for future threads.
    Last edited by Neko; 01-15-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty Kaido View Post
    Yeah this is my first course of action. But if he keeps stealing more or starts doing worse stuff despite my help/advice i probably will have no choice but to tell the cops.
    For me it depends on how often he steals

I mean since I'm working at this store, then I would have to do something if he doesn't stop, since it ruins my career as well.

If it's a random shop I don't care as long as he doesn't overdo it.

I and my friends used to steal some stuff frrom shops time to time when we were like, in the 7th-10th grade.

I usually tried avoiding doing so though.
    Last edited by Sir Torch; 01-15-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    but it is NOT really a misunderstanding.

and you'd actually rat your friend out ?!

Yeah, he needs to face it. Like hey I found the culptrit but this is the situation bla bla bla
    ʕᴥʔ
    My Blog

Retired Legend #3
    18/2/18

If he stops instantly after i try to help/give advice i don't say anything to the cops but if he does more/keeps stealing i definitely do it because then i can't excuse his crimes as easily anymore.
    Last edited by Neko; 01-15-2018 at 03:25 PM.

I mean, if he continues to be broke than it only.makes sense he may continue to steal, even if from someone else. Imo. just telling him not to steal isn't really helping or doing anything unless coupled with another method of tackling his current predicament. In any case though, at least he should have the decency of stealing from a different store after you talk to him, but it would be a bit hypocritical to say he has no excuse tomorrow just because you talked to him and he has an excuse today. People are too interested in judging others without truly understanding there predicaments, I wouldn't do anything unless he kept making trouble for me, personally, but its your call of course. I just don't see any reason whatsoever to turn him in beyond the fact that if he keeps stealing from your store and you know, it will eventually cause problems for you, so just beat in that if he must steal it should be from elsewhere. Also, imo. the main motivation of me telling him to not steal would be to avoid him getting caught and punished as opposed to it being wrong, make him understand the potential consequences of breaking the law. Also though, it's possible he's so desperate none of that will really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    I mean, if he continues to be broke than it only.makes sense he may continue to steal, even if from someone else. Imo. just telling him not to steal isn't really helping or doing anything unless coupled with another method of tackling his current predicament. In any case though, at least he should have the decency of stealing from a different store after you talk to him, but it would be a bit hypocritical to say he has no excuse tomorrow just because you talked to him and he has an excuse today. People are too interested in judging others without truly understanding there predicaments, I wouldn't do anything unless he kept making trouble for me, personally, but its your call of course. I just don't see any reason whatsoever to turn him in beyond the fact that if he keeps stealing from your store and you know, it will eventually cause problems for you, so just beat in that if he must steal it should be from elsewhere. Also, imo. the main motivation of me telling him to not steal would be to avoid him getting caught and punished as opposed to it being wrong, make him understand the potential consequences of breaking the law. Also though, it's possible he's so desperate none of that will really matter.
    But what if i help him enough with getting money from me/others so he can now definitely afford shit but keeps stealing. Shouldn't i perhaps turn in him then because by that point he won't really have a excuse to steal?

But if he don't continue to be broke? I helped him enough with getting money from me/others so he can now definitely afford shit but keeps stealing and now it feels more like he does it for the thrills. What then?
    yeah that would certainly change things, I just imagine it might not really be possible for you to help him with money as much as you think. Unless he was just down on his luck for a couple of weeks but usually is doing fine. I feel like this is probably more of a long term problem for him though, in which case you probably wouldn't be able to do more than temporarily help for a bit but eventually this same situation would return. Does he work? If he does than yeah he'll probably be fine with a bit of temporary help, but if he doesn't its probably beyond your hands beyond giving him some good advice and a bit of help for now. I would look into if he has a job and also if he's into drugs or something to find out the source of this problem, that way you know rather or not to have good expectations for how this turns out and how to handle it.

I know for a fact that my friend wouldn't wanna cause the least bit of trouble for me especially when there are alternatives, even if not less vulgar. Perhaps he might continue stealing in other shops, but I'm not talking about my grandchild in kindergarten here. I don't need to sit and play the good man lecturing him about the harms of his act; he knows it all, neither will I change my impression on him from something like that. Sure I'll be interested to know his circumstances and he better let me on his good reason for stealing, which - i know - morally doesn't exist, but is still not a justification for being judgemental.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps helping him financially is the best course of action but how far are you willing to go for that friend is the question

Quote Originally Posted by DreX View Post
    I know for a fact that my friend wouldn't wanna cause the least bit of trouble for me especially when there are alternatives, even if not less vulgar. Perhaps he might continue stealing in other shops, but I'm not talking about my grandchild in kindergarten here. I don't need to sit and play the good man lecturing him about the harms of his act; he knows it all, neither will I change my impression on him from something like that. Sure I'll be interested to know his circumstances and he better let me on his good reason for stealing, which - i know - morally doesn't exist, but is still not a justification for being judgemental.
    yeah the main thing is, if he's a decent friend he sh9uld atleast not make trouble for you, and steal from somewhere else imo.

Yeah him continuing to steal despite having solved his problems would make it a lot easier for me to turn him to the cops not only because he has less reason but because that would make me realize that he was never really a good friend in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by DreX View Post
    Perhaps helping him financially is the best course of action but how far are you willing to go for that friend is the question
    I give him a decent amount of money, the rest i leave up to him because i'm not sure if anyone i know will want to give him money.
    Last edited by Neko; 01-15-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Formerly named John Wick Mercantilist's Avatar
    Ask for a portion of the share except you're not asking, you're commanding because his ass is toast unless he getting you Lays and frosted flakes every weekend

Yeah him continuing to steal despite having solved his problems would make it a lot easier for me to turn him to the cops not only because he has less reason but because that would make me realize that he was never really a good friend in the first place.

I give him a decent amount of money, the rest i leave up to him because i'm not sure if anyone i know will want to give him money.
    my.main worry is that it's probably a long term money problem, in which case you can't really do that much to help since it depends on his own ability and circumstances primarily. And if it's a long term problem he'll probably be broke again in not long. He should have the courtesy to not steal from your store though, and hopefully he gets things together overall. In my experience, if someone is stealing from a store and they're an adult there are also a lot of other problems that led to that, they're probably overall just not heading down the best path, and that won't really change until they become determined to change it themselves.(usually with the support and help of friends)

sorry for the typos its my phone

You're just like the rest Katyusha's Avatar
    You want to see a REAL moral dilemma?