Will we ever see a naval battle?

How cool would that be? Just ship vs ship. Only using good old cannons and sailing skills.

I believe Oda said in an interview/SBS recently that he'd like to do sea battles in the future or that we'll get a sea battle or something like that.

The current chase of the SHs by the BM pirates is what he was probably referring to.

I can only see that happening with lesser crews vs simple Marines.

Powerful captains and high level Marines would not just stand there IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Whitebeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How cool would that be? Just ship vs ship. Only using good old cannons and sailing skills.
    How would that work anyway? Cannons are useless in this manga since almost everyone can block or parry them, I mean someone like sanji can casually with bare legs simply kick cannon balls away, even pre-skip Sanji, u cant have naval battles in this manga with these power levels, not to mention that even if cannons land by some chance they still do minimal damage if any at all, they're literally out of place in this manga, same with guns they're not weapons u use to hurt someone unless its used by someone like Beckmann or Yassop.

Quote Originally Posted by baji17 View Post
    How would that work anyway? Cannons are useless in this manga since almost everyone can block or parry them, I mean someone like sanji can casually with bare legs simply kick cannon balls away, even pre-skip Sanji, u cant have naval battles in this manga with these power levels, not to mention that even if cannons land by some chance they still do minimal damage if any at all, they're literally out of place in this manga, same with guns they're not weapons u use to hurt someone unless its used by someone like Beckmann or Yassop.
    That's why I asked. With all the inflated power levels Oda has made it nigh impossible to have a naval battle now which would actually be much better than one on one fights involving DFs and all that shit. It's pretty disappointing considering it's a manga about pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Whitebeard View Post
    That's why I asked. With all the inflated power levels Oda has made it nigh impossible to have a naval battle now which would actually be much better than one on one fights involving DFs and all that shit. It's pretty disappointing considering it's a manga about pirates.
    Its a manga about pirates but they dont fight like pirates, its just the setting and nothing else, its been like this since the start in fact power levels in OP havent inflated that much compared to mangas like Naruto, but the fact is that naval battles werent a thing since the first few arcs let alone now, I am certain Luffy could probably deflect cannons by the first or second arcs also if I am not mistaken Sanji was kicking cannons away by Baratie, Zoro was having a field day against a bunch of bounty hunters with hand weapons which are way faster than cannons etc etc.

At this point the only reason I see cannons and weapons in OP as a thing is because of the setting and nothing more.