• 3/5

8 38.10%
  • 4/5

4 19.05%
  • 5/5

1 4.76%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Exciting chapter

Luffy vs Katakuri was good stuff, with Luffy slowly achieving a new level. It's cool to see how much the BM pirates look up to Katakuri, and that this pride is about to be damaged.

I definitely see a rematch battle in the future though, with the complete SH crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exciting chapter

Luffy vs Katakuri was good stuff, with Luffy slowly achieving a new level. It's cool to see how much the BM pirates look up to Katakuri, and that this pride is about to be damaged.

I definitely see a rematch battle in the future though, with the complete SH crew
    Yeah. Luffy's "After i defeat Kaido, you are next" when clashing with Big Mom definitely feels like foreshadowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte McNugget View Post
    Big Mom isn't as stupid as people like to pretend. It's just when she has one of her tantrums she turns into a food berserker.

Kaido isn't the brightest head either.
    Oda doesn't intentionally write her to be a stupid and incompetent character. She is meant to be a very smart and clever woman. But the way Oda writes her makes her look stupid and incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by Luffee View Post
    Oda doesn't intentionally write her to be a stupid and incompetent character. She is meant to be a very smart and clever woman. But the way Oda writes her makes her look stupid and incompetent.
    I'm sorry but no matter how cunning she is the fact that she favors freaking cake above almost everything make her look pretty dumb and childish to me. Actually her love of cakes was the reason i had a feeling she wouldn't be very bright when we were first introduced to her.

I guess she kinda blacks out and becomes an animal, like when she ate everyone when she was a child.
    ʕᴥʔ
    My Blog

Retired Legend #3
    18/2/18

Minister of Negerkuss Charlotte Dingleberry's Avatar
    They should just add a trashy zoan devil fruit to the cake and watch Big Mom explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty Kaido View Post
    I'm sorry but no matter how cunning she is the fact that she favors freaking cake above almost everything make her look pretty dumb and childish to me. Actually her love of cakes was the reason i had a feeling she wouldn't be very bright when we were first introduced to her.
    I agree, that’s what I’m saying. Big mom normally is meant to be pretty clever. But this added gimmick of “gimme my cake” makes her look stupid.

Oda is trying to portray her as some sort of monster like “look how strong and savage she is when she’s in her rage mode” but in reality it just comes across pathetic.

I agree, that’s what I’m saying. Big mom normally is meant to be pretty clever. But this added gimmick of “gimme my cake” makes her look stupid.

Oda is trying to portray her as some sort of monster like “look how strong and savage she is when she’s in her rage mode” but in reality it just comes across pathetic.
    That's clearly not what he is doing. He's shown that it's hard to even keep her homies under control when before a tiny bit of her soul had them under control. Prom&Zeus haven't even displayed the wide range they showed when the enraged army attacked. Her skinny form is not portrayed as a super form either so far. She is nerfedc Oda is just being wishy-washy with how much and when.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayum View Post
    That's clearly not what he is doing. He's shown that it's hard to even keep her homies under control when before a tiny bit of her soul had them under control. Prom&Zeus haven't even displayed the wide range they showed when the enraged army attacked. Her skinny form is not portrayed as a super form either so far. She is nerfedc Oda is just being wishy-washy with how much and when.
    I didnt say she becomes stronger in her rage mode. What I mean is she is meant to be portrayed as this crazy unpredictable force of nature in her rage mode. Destroying everything and everyone in her path. As if shes some scary monster. But she looks more like a joke.

The Luffy VS Katakuri stuff? On NF some think it's bullshit, some think it's great writing and some think somewhere inbetween.

Btw not to get anyones hopes up but there are rumors that there is a chapter next week so chances there might not actually be a break.
    there is a chapter next week. we didn't have a footnote to indicate a break as it has always been and sj are not on break as far as i know

- - - Updated - - -

The Luffy VS Katakuri stuff? On NF some think it's bullshit, some think it's great writing and some think somewhere inbetween.

Btw not to get anyones hopes up but there are rumors that there is a chapter next week so chances there might not actually be a break.
    there is a chapter next week. we didn't have a footnote to indicate a break as it has always been and sj are not on break as far as i know

Quote Originally Posted by Baragan View Post

but there is a footnote

Well lets hope.

One thing to notice is that the MS footnote is different from the regular break footnote so MS might be trolling us lol.

I didn’t say she becomes stronger in her rage mode. What I mean is she is meant to be portrayed as this crazy unpredictable force of nature in her rage mode. Destroying everything and everyone in her path. As if she’s some scary monster. But she looks more like a joke.
    Well you said berserker and used the word 'strong' so I assumed you meant Oda is depicting her in bloodlusted terminator mode like Akainu at the end of MF. I'd argue he is just doing a poor job of depicting on unstable she is with her tantrums and powers.

You also said he is not intentionally writing her off as stupid and incompetent and she's supposed to be clever and smart. I don't see where it was enforced she is smart and clever. When Oda actually started to show her character we see she was basically tricked into becoming a pirate by Struesen, has a flawed idea of uniting the world on faulty pretense that Caramel was a good person, and really just acts on the same impulses she's had since she was a child.

How her empire grew and stabilized seems a complete mystery as of now.

Well you said berserker and used the word 'strong' so I assumed you meant Oda is depicting her in bloodlusted terminator mode like Akainu at the end of MF. I'd argue he is just doing a poor job of depicting on unstable she is with her tantrums and powers.

You also said he is not intentionally writing her off as stupid and incompetent and she's supposed to be clever and smart. I don't see where it was enforced she is smart and clever. When Oda actually started to show her character we see she was basically tricked into becoming a pirate by Struesen, has a flawed idea of uniting the world on faulty pretense that Caramel was a good person, and really just acts on the same impulses she's had since she was a child.

She consciously choose "fathers" in order to increase her crew, she also plans her daughters weddings in order to make aliances (i.e Bege and Germa), she also allowed the FI to trade food tributes for treasure because she acknowledge the losses in Kidd raid and she keeps control of her islands population and affiliated pirates (i.e Jinbe) with the exchange of life thing. She surely aint completely stupid.

She also has Katakuri and Peros to take care of anything else.

Better chapter than last week.

The Commander From Hell

We The North

but there is a footnote
    ohh i hadn't seen it. may bad but as kaido said lets hope its a troll by ms though mentaly prepared for the worst. good thing is we are going to have our kingdom chapter this week.

She consciously choose "fathers" in order to increase her crew, she also plans her daughters weddings in order to make aliances (i.e Bege and Germa), she also allowed the FI to trade food tributes for treasure because she acknowledge the losses in Kidd raid and she keeps control of her islands population and affiliated pirates (i.e Jinbe) with the exchange of life thing. She surely aint completely stupid.

She also has Katakuri and Peros to take care of anything else.
    That was Tomago. She was completely flippant towards losing her sweets and only changed focus when Luffy challenged her. The marriages is iffy when she is such an unstable monster. She'd first have to become an organization worth merging with. Obviously she could force many islands under her early

Oda barely went into how this works and she still she has to first stabilize her organization long before that. Her kids obviously didn't come into the picture until 35-40+ years into her reign since they needed to be born and then grow up. Tomago is only in his 50s tops, Bobbin has been turned into a non-player, is Pekoms recent-ish addition. Before that can you picture just her and Streusen making alliances and forming fleets when she is frequently going on rampages?? Where is this great information network Pekom's talked about too? Why would anyone continue bedding her when clearly most of her former husbands go missing and they don't seem to get anything out of the marriage?

Shanks, Teach, and WB are easy to see how they can function as Yonkou. Even Kaidou makes sense since he likely attracted the wildest pirates, rules his islands completely by force, and I can see King and Queen having more agency in the inner workings of their fleet and territories while Jack knows how to keep people in line. Probably has legit Allied crews too. They were likely with him since early on like Teach&Shank's men as well.

BM seems to be the only Yonkou without a network of Allied crews that could handle a lot of the organizational load for her. She had Jinbe and Bege, both recent additions and no one else. Tea-party was actually a disappointment if that's as far as her connections. No Kings and Queens of nations? No Silver Medalists? No former husbands or their families who actually benefited from the political marriages? No potential husband she was scoping out for herself or another daughter after her plans with Germa?
    Last edited by Dayum; 01-14-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Akainu has flawed of view justice. Most villains have flawed views of their morals and motivations. That in of itself doesn’t make the character dumb. Streusen tagged up with her when she was very young. He’s not holding her hand like a kid anymore. Like Ascot mentioned, she plans marriages with the view of increasing her crew strength and is well versed in how one piece politics work and how she can use that to get more power. She plots assassinations and is generally showed to be pretty cold and calculating in when sober.

Now the problem here is that for example the vinsmoke assassination plot I thought was pretty stupid how it was carried out. But it was stupid not because Oda intends BM to be stupid but rather his own writing is so bad that it makes BM and most of her crew look more dumb than they actually are. The lack of anyone impressive at the tea party is again not meant to show she lacks connections intentionally on Oda’s part. But rather Oda couldn’t think for the life of him, someone more exceptional than a news tycoon etc..

Tea-party was actually a disappointment if that's as far as her connections. No Kings and Queens of nations? No Silver Medalists? No former husbands or their families who actually benefited from the political marriages? No potential husband she was scoping out for herself or another daughter after her plans with Germa?
    You forgetting the party was meant to be a trap to assassinate the vinsmokes, why would she show that to potential allies?

Retired
    @Dayum;

Are you really under the impression that Oda won’t butcher Kaido’s operations? He barely made Doflamingo’s business believable. One Piece has never really had political intrigue.