Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Being Gay - Choice, Genetics or Environmentally?

discuss
    Last edited by R; 01-08-2018 at 08:02 PM.

neither

- - - Updated - - -

it's circumstances

I don't think of it being decided by one's choice as much as the genetic, hormonal, experiential or environmental influences. Of course biological based theories back this up.
    Last edited by DreX; 01-08-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Does it matter?

But to be serious, I think GP changed his name so genetics weren't involved, more like Modetics.

there are people who are gay by choice and people who have a genetic disposition towards that which is further amped by being heavily influenced by environmental/social factors.

Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispickle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    neither

- - - Updated - - -

it's circumstances
    Damn. I can’t believe I agree with my evil clone on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by X
    Come her and fuck me like a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y
    Why is this even a thead?

There is obviously a biological factor but I think about 80% is your environment and your choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Alias View Post
    Well I wouldn't want you to lose 5 years of your life only to discover that you'll never beat me
    Meanwhile ... Fab beat me I'm sorry guys

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    Genetic.

Why would anyone choose to be gay and treated worse than a regular person?

The Commander From Hell

We The North

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Why would anyone choose to be gay and treated worse than a regular person?
    As if people always do what is in their best interest and never hurt themselves in anyway. I would guess it's a subconcious thing, just like the craving for a drug that will ruin your life and kill you in the long run.

That doesn't mean we should throw our hands up and quit.
    Well I wouldn't want you to lose 5 years of your life only to discover that you'll never beat me

Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Why would anyone choose to be gay and treated worse by nonwhite people?
    FTFY.

Quote Originally Posted by X
    Come her and fuck me like a woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y
    Why is this even a thead?

Were there cavemen faggots?
    Im thinking its environmental.

Neither, its primarily a questi9n of social conditioning as evidenced by how sexual preferences vary from society to society and time period to time period. Bisexuality was normal in classical Rome, but isn't t9day for example. There are of course also pr9bably some genetic factors, but I don't think they're the primary cause or sexual preference, especially not for gays, it would be more arguable that nature has a big role in making people straight though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    As if people always do what is in their best interest and never hurt themselves in anyway. I would guess it's a subconcious thing, just like the craving for a drug that will ruin your life and kill you in the long run.

That doesn't mean we should throw our hands up and quit.
    if its subconscious isn't that as good as saying its not a choice? Also, people do drugs because they're fun and using the wires your brain into wanting to use them more, just not the best metaphor is all. There's no real reason to want to be gay in and of itself, outside may be wanting to be unique or something

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    Neither, its primarily a questi9n of social conditioning as evidenced by how sexual preferences vary from society to society and time period to time period. Bisexuality was normal in classical Rome, but isn't t9day for example. There are of course also pr9bably some genetic factors, but I don't think they're the primary cause or sexual preference, especially not for gays, it would be more arguable that nature has a big role in making people straight though.
    Social conditioning is clearly not the only factor or else we wouldn't have closeted homosexuals

I dont really think it matters why people are gay, we should just accept that they are gay.

But I think its largely genetic

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    Social conditioning is clearly not the only factor or else we wouldn't have closeted homosexuals
    that's not even a rebuttal, you don't understand how complex social conditioning is, one can he gay due to their social experience while at the same time being ostracized for their gayness and wanting to hide it. Both the conditioning and the conditioner is something entirely unconscious in the case of modern society when it comes to homosexuality. Also, the very fact that homosexuality isn't common in our era and that many who are gay are closeted has a lot to do with that its not socially acceptable(fully), it makes a lot of sense.

A comparable example is sociopathy, there are sociopaths who were born that way, and than those that became that way, in the latter case the sociopath can still be closeted and a rare occurrence due to its unacceptance in our society, but still exist as a result of that same society. Being closeted and being a result of your social conditioning aren't mutually exclusive.

Besides, I said it was primarily social conditioning,not 100 percent. Though one thing to keep in mind is that biology and environment both play a role in changing and redetermining eachother. So lets say society biologically is predisposed towards heterosexualtiy, that will expect social constructs and the reverse is also true, what must be understand is that the cause and effect relationship isn't straightforward though.

- - - Updated - - -

if its subconscious isn't that as good as saying its not a choice? Also, people do drugs because they're fun and using the wires your brain into wanting to use them more, just not the best metaphor is all. There's no real reason to want to be gay in and of itself, outside may be wanting to be unique or something
    It's not a concious choice but a choice nontheless. Also it doesn't mean you can't change it, dopamine is a natural drug in the brain that people get hooked on. For whatever reason, some people get that reward from other dudes.

It's environmental primarily. It being a choice doesn't make sense and it being genetic makes even less sense.

Don't see why not.
    No.​

Besides, I said it was primarily social conditioning,not 100 percent. Though one thing to keep in mind is that biology and environment both play a role in changing and redetermining eachother. So lets say society biologically is predisposed towards heterosexualtiy, that will expect social constructs and the reverse is also true, what must be understand is that the cause and effect relationship isn't straightforward though.
    So basically we agree but you had to go and sperg out

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    It's not a concious choice but a choice nontheless. Also it doesn't mean you can't change it, dopamine is a natural drug in the brain that people get hooked on. For whatever reason, some people get that reward from other dudes.
    choice is inherently conscious, how can you make a choice that you're not even aware of? There is no you involved, just subconscious processes.

But the question is why to people get a dopamine rush or pleasure from the same sex, but why they act on it. The point is that they're not choosing to feel pleasure from the same sex just like you aren't choosing to like girls. That said, choice does play a role, since you choose to act on your sexuality which further reinforces it and vice versa.

- - - Updated - - -

So basically we agree but you had to go and sperg out
    I said it was primarily social conditioning but not entirely and that biology obviously had some role in it from the beginning

The reason I say its primarily social is because sexual preferences is shown to vary based upon society showing a visible link that's seemingly independent of genetics because its not like we've found generic differences in those societies directly related to sexuality as far as I know.