Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WAR GAME: The State of Xen

Hello, Kankoku Pass. I would like to play a tactical war game with you. Just to see how you would handle it if you would be the Emperor of a state during the warring states period.

First of all, let us imagine there are not 7, but 8 states for this war game. The 8th state is called Xen. The location can be found on this map. You are the Emperor of this state. And with that, obviously the main chief of it's armies and generals.

The timezone is that of where the manga now is. So Qin is currently invading Zhao.

The state of Xen is borderded with Qin, Han, Wei, Chu and Zhao. The relationships with these states are as followed:

Qin - Currently not in war with, but you are aware of Qin there unification plans.
    Han - Friendly relations, not been in war in decades and good contacts between both states people too.
    Wei - Currently not in war with, but both states have a deep hate for each other.
    Chu - Currently a pact between both states of not attacking each other.
    Zhao - Currently a pact between both states of not attacking each other. Bad history between both states though.

Your borders with these states are fortified, humanly or naturally, like this:

Qin - Two mountainous areas between both states. You make sure between these you have put a strong fortification.
    Han - Open plains between both states, just one little mountainous area.
    Wei - Mostly mountainous area, but there is a good opening with some cities from both states located.
    Chu - One large mountainous area, rest of it you have put some strong forts.
    Zhao - You have only one way to go through and both states have a large fort as protection. Both huge.

The State of Xen can count on an army of 320 000 soldiers. Furthermore an extra 60 000 local garrison soldiers at the borders and 20 000 soldiers at the capital. These are well equipped and well trained. The State of Xen has a clear policy. Soldiers and workers. So no peasant armies here. Soldiers will be soldiers. There is a reason why the State of Xen has survived wars with Chu and Zhao at the same time. There is one great general in this state, called Baju. He has 4 vassals under his command who are fully experienced generals and can lead big armies. There names are Ajou, Risoju, Vanzo and Duke Dong.

Great General Baju has the current stats:

Strength - 95
    Leadership - 95
    Intelligence - 95

General of Defense - Ajou:

Strength - 69
    Leadership - 90
    Intelligence - 99

General of Offense - Risoju:

Strength - 91
    Leadership - 91
    Intelligence - 87

General of Siege - Vanzo:

Strength - 90
    Leadership - 89
    Intelligence - 95

General of Martial Power and Breakthrough - Duke Dong:

Strength - 96+ alpha
    Leadership - 97
    Intelligence - 80

The capital of Xen is in the middle of the state, protected by huge walls.

My question now for you is the following. During these warring states period and for the sake of your state and people. What would you currently do in this situation as the Emperor... with this amount of soldiers and its generals. You are a very loving King (100 leadership) and your intelligence is on the same level as Ajou, who is your son.

Would you fortify even more, would you dare attacking Qin or other states, would you create alliances, ... Be creative. I am curious.
    Last edited by Duke; 01-08-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Bonus: Duke Dong his elite unit of 8 000 mounted riders can be considered the strongest breakthrough unit in China. Even more impressive than Duke Hyou his personal army was. This is the most elite unit of Xen. They are also the most patriotic. 100 alpha level.
    Last edited by Duke; 01-08-2018 at 12:43 PM.

I would place Baju and as his deputy, Ajou on the border of Chu.

Duke Dong and Vanzo to keep Qin in Check.

This state seens too OP

First it should take advantage of Qin-Zhao war and wipe Han out. Wei might counter though

Quote Originally Posted by VICE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would place Baju and as his deputy, Ajou on the border of Chu.

Duke Dong and Vanzo to keep Qin in Check.
    For Chu, I think Kouen himself has to be there to counter part this threat of Xen at the borders. However, Chu could also just put several generals there and just make sure they outnumber the Xen too much so they would not dare to do anything. Like posting an army of 150 000 Chu at the Xen borders to make sure they would not dare to invade (because Xen will probably have not more than 100 000 at the Chu borders). If the Xen want to go all out vs Chu they better be sure they are ok with the other states or have some amazing fortifications VS especially Qin. Because for invading the Chu you better go in with at least half of the Xen army, no matter how good you are trained. Chu are just too numerously.

And about the borders with the Qin. Seeing how Qin is currently in a brutal war with Zhao... Would you dare to send in Vanzo and Duke Dong with... 100 000 soldiers to invade the Qin South-East? Maybe in Alliance with Han so that Han sends over an army of 50 000 too? Tou would get in a tough spot, a very tough spot. Same goes for Moubu who needs to send reinforcements. Duke Dong will rampage first while Vanzo can capture several cities. A Xen-Han or even worse a just temporarily Xen-Chu alliance could be horrendous for the Qin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascot View Post
    This state seens too OP

First it should take advantage of Qin-Zhao war and wipe Han out. Wei might counter though
    Too OP? They only have 1 great general but they do have quite an amazing mix of vassals. That being said, they are surrounded everywhere and with a limitation on soldiers. 400 000 while Qin can raise 700 000 and Chu even more.

And why destroying Han if they are friendly to them. I would focus on hitting Qin or just go all out on Wei from the South.
    Last edited by Duke; 01-08-2018 at 01:23 PM.

The Xen can also fuck up Zhao completely and send in Duke Dong for a while with his elite unit and 30 000 men to rampage through the South of Zhao. Riboku would be like... It would be too much since they would have no capable commander left to stop the Xen from the East.

There are just so many options what makes it that interesting, this selfmade situation.

But I personally would focus with an elite army on the East of Qin.
    Last edited by Duke; 01-08-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Im gonna reread it with time later then.

Its never good idea to mess with Qin though

btw, what about Xen in the coalition? Should we take that they didnt join?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    For Chu, I think Kouen himself has to be there to counter part this threat of Xen at the borders. However, Chu could also just put several generals there and just make sure they outnumber the Xen too much so they would not dare to do anything. Like posting an army of 150 000 Chu at the Xen borders to make sure they would not dare to invade (because Xen will probably have not more than 100 000 at the Chu borders). If the Xen want to go all out vs Chu they better be sure they are ok with the other states or have some amazing fortifications VS especially Qin. Because for invading the Chu you better go in with at least half of the Xen army, no matter how good you are trained. Chu are just too numerously.

And about the borders with the Qin. Seeing how Qin is currently in a brutal war with Zhao... Would you dare to send in Vanzo and Duke Dong with... 100 000 soldiers to invade the Qin South-East? Maybe in Alliance with Han so that Han sends over an army of 50 000 too? Tou would get in a tough spot, a very tough spot. Same goes for Moubu who needs to send reinforcements. Duke Dong will rampage first while Vanzo can capture several cities. A Xen-Han or even worse a just temporarily Xen-Chu alliance could be horrendous for the Qin.

They're just acting like Moubu or Choutou would positioned to keep the Chu and Qin in check. They won't attack first.

I would attack Wei if anything. Ally with Han

Quote Originally Posted by Ascot View Post

btw, what about Xen in the coalition? Should we take that they didnt join?

Let us assume the Qin diplomacy did not only worked with Qi, but also with Xen. Good point.

They're just acting like Moubu or Choutou would positioned to keep the Chu and Qin in check. They won't attack first.
    Choutou is dead.

Moubu will not be able to stop Karin's army and the Xen blitzkrieg. Never. It will be a bloodbath, where he will loose his life and his entire army. Karin AND Dong in this scenario is just way too much. Even for Moubu. Bloody hell, Karin alone is already enough to give Moubu a hell of a battle... Nevermind a martial powerful army coming as ally... Xen can even send there Great General if anything for a victory like this. Moubu is lost, no matter what in such a situation.

And than... Qin's Southern line is broken, Tou in the East is fucked with enemies in the back and Wei in front and the Qin in Zhao will be in panic mode.
    Last edited by Duke; 01-08-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Let us assume the Qin diplomacy did not only worked with Qi, but also with Xen. Good point.

Choutou is dead.

Moubu will not be able to stop Karin's army and the Xen blitzkrieg. Never. It will be a bloodbath, where he will loose his life and his entire army. Karin AND Dong in this scenario is just way too much. Even for Moubu. Bloody hell, Karin alone is already enough to give Moubu a hell of a battle... Nevermind a martial army coming as ally... And than... Qin's Southern line is broken, Tou in the East is fucked with enemies in the back and Wei in front and the Qin in Zhao will be in panic mode.
    I know, it was meant as an example general.

Xen won't attack first. Never. At least not if I'm in charge.

Xen won't attack first. Never. At least not if I'm in charge.
    Not even if you have an anti-Qin alliance with Chu?

Not even if you have an anti-Qin alliance with Chu?
    They let Chu attack first, even then. Strike when they're both tired

They let Chu attack first, even then. Strike when they're both tired
    So you would use two armies of let's say each 120 000 and attack Chu and Qin in the border zones?

You daredevil.

With those resources (assuming all 5 dudes can be split instead of being put together), Xen should be able to put up a good fight honestly.. does seems like it is at least Wei state's level of strength, possibly more depending on how people value things.

Placement

Han border is relatively safe since it's friendly and it's Han, I'll stationed unmentioned general there.

I'll stationed Vanzo in the Wei's mountain border to guard it.

Duke Dong is around the plain area of Chu border and he'll need to come to support Vanzo in case Wei attack.

Baju and Ajou are to take responsibility of guarding Chu's border. Baju taking position near the west while Ajou taking position in the east side.

Risoju will be stationed within Baju's army

Diplomatic
    I will send a message to Riboku ASAP when Qin's direction to Retsubi is known (via messenger or whatever other possible means). Let Riboku choose either to buy Xen's service (paid upfront) to attack Qin (like what he's hoping for other state to do) or take an attack from Qin and Xen at the same time. [of course the lack of answer within x amount of weeks = refusing the offer]

Depending on Riboku's choice, i'll either send Baju and Risoju to attack Qin or Duke Dong to attack Zhao with 100.000 men army. The other general's position will be adjusted slightly to cover the unguarded borders.
    Attacking Qin is just a bait though, and Baju wasn't mean to invade Qin and they shouldn't take too many necessary risk/casualties and just retreat when it get troublesome.
    The aim of the attack was just to receive tribute from Zhao and to bait Chu to attack Qin.

Spy/bribing Zhao official is to be used at later date (after Zhao managed to repel Qin or faster if Riboku choose to decline the offer) to make suspicion to Zhao scum King that Riboku is colluding with Xen because he want to defect to Xen while bringing down Zhao in process
    Last edited by gn_x00; 01-08-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn_x00 View Post
    With those resources (assuming all 5 dudes can be split instead of being put together), Xen should be able to put up a good fight honestly.. does seems like it is at least Wei state's level of strength, possibly more depending on how people value things.

Placement

Han border is relatively safe since it's friendly and it's Han, I'll stationed unmentioned general there.

I'll stationed Vanzo in the Wei's mountain border to guard it.

Duke Dong is around the plain area of Chu border and he'll need to come to support Vanzo in case Wei attack.

Baju and Ajou are to take responsibility of guarding Chu's border. Baju taking position near the west while Ajou taking position in the east side.

Risoju will be stationed within Baju's army

Diplomatic
    I will send a message to Riboku ASAP when Qin's direction to Retsubi is known (via messenger or whatever other possible means). Let Riboku choose either to buy Xen's service (paid upfront) to attack Qin (like what he's hoping for other state to do) or take an attack from Qin and Xen at the same time. [of course the lack of answer within x amount of weeks = refusing the offer]

Depending on Riboku's choice, i'll either send Baju and Risoju to attack Qin or Duke Dong to attack Zhao with 100.000 men army. The other general's position will be adjusted slightly to cover the unguarded borders.
    Attacking Qin is just a bait though, and Baju wasn't mean to invade Qin and they shouldn't take too many necessary risk/casualties and just retreat when it get troublesome.
    The aim of the attack was just to receive tribute from Zhao and to bait Chu to attack Qin.

Spy/bribing Zhao official is to be used at later date (after Zhao managed to repel Qin or faster if Riboku choose to decline the offer) to make suspicion to Zhao scum King that Riboku is colluding with Xen because he want to defect to Xen while bringing down Zhao in process
    I like this strategy and it is well thought, thanks for that - good read. Only a little bit too much focused on Chu, with 3 of the 5 generals, no? And not 1 general at the Qin fortification?
    Last edited by Duke; 01-08-2018 at 04:57 PM.

I like this strategy and it is well thought, thanks for that - good read. Only a little bit too much focused on Chu, with 3 of the 5 generals, no?
    more than half the state border is Chu, Chu is the greatest threat especially with how little Xen crossed border with Wei and Qin, thus there is only one possible path of invasion unlike Chu. With that position there's pretty much no chance to unite China anyway, so the best choice is to just make a never ending conflict on other state's border to ensure safety while trying to make the other state run out of resource first

You're twisting my words

I'm not attacking both of them

Strength - 69
    Leadership - 90
    Intelligence - 99

n-nani?

- - - Updated - - -

a state almost as small as Han has a vassal with a knowledge stat equal to Hakuki of the Qin's Six Great?
    Last edited by Kaiser; 01-08-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post

Strength - 69
    Leadership - 90
    Intelligence - 99

n-nani?

- - - Updated - - -

a state almost as small as Han has a vassal with a knowledge stat equal to Hakuki of the Qin's Six Great?
    Yeah, I'd just appoint that guy head of military and ask him what the best move would be.

With our states size I imagine we'd take a more passive approach overall but if someone tries messing with us they'll get fucked by Duke's Dong.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    Yeah, I'd just appoint that guy head of military and ask him what the best move would be.

With our states size I imagine we'd take a more passive approach overall but if someone tries messing with us they'll get fucked by Duke's Dong.
    He could serve as the Head of military affairs and the leader of the Great Generals, something like Riboku with that knowledge stat.

Imagine pairing a better version of Duke Hyou in this Duke's Dong and a Hakuki level strategist? That'd sent chills down all the enemy state. Literally trying to mimick Moubu + Shouheikun.