Opening as white : the London System

For many openings, depending on the opponent's answer(s) you'll have to play one move or another, or change the order in which you play your moves, and there are usually many variations, often subtle, which all puyt some strain on your memory to recall.

Some openings - called systems - are not as much subject to those kind of variations and subtleties, and what I'll be presenting in this thread is one of those.

Called the "London System", it looks to obtain this set-up at the end of the opening :

It can be achieved against nearly any black answer (1... d5 for those who play the QGC or QGA or the slav, 1.Nf6 for the KID and Gruenfeld players, even against the Dutch - 1... f5). An exception is 1... e5 as played by Dofla, but that is quite inferior for black so you should just think and play sensefull moves and you should be good to go.

There can be "some" subtleties with the move order or even where to put the LSB in this opening - either on e2 or on d3.

Midway through writing this I found a very good study for this, so I'll leave you with this link :

https://lichess.org/study/plnOAuiI

Enjoy and don't hesitate to try it and post in this thread your best games with it ;)

This opening is usually very good to counter the king's indian defense. Mostly relying on a fortified center that makes it very hard to crack. I also like how it makes use of the dark squared bishop, which is, in most games, white's least active minor piece. It's actually one of my favourite openings since I'm not very agressive and like a slow and steady game.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 01-04-2018 at 03:04 PM.

This looks pretty good, all the minor pieces out and so much center control

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Whitebeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This opening is usually very good to counter the king's indian defense. Mostly relying on a fortified center that makes it very hard to crack. I also like how it makes use of the dark squared bishop, which is, in most games, white's least active minor piece. It's actually one of my favourite openings since I'm not very agressive and like a slow and steady game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    This looks pretty good, all the minor pieces out and so much center control
    I think a good point for it is that your only real weakness is on b2 and more generally on the Queen side as well as the fact that your bad Bishop as white is the DSB in this opening and it's already out, and more often than not black will offer to exchange the DSB which should be good for you.

I'll post a game I played with this opening recently vs a 1950 player as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Alias View Post
    I think a good point for it is that your only real weakness is on b2 and more generally on the Queen side as well as the fact that your bad Bishop as white is the DSB in this opening and it's already out, and more often than not black will offer to exchange the DSB which should be good for you.

I'll post a game I played with this opening recently vs a 1950 player as an example.
    What does the DSB mean?

What does the DSB mean?
    Dark squared bishop. LSB isn't a drug, it's the light squared bishop

For many openings, depending on the opponent's answer(s) you'll have to play one move or another, or change the order in which you play your moves, and there are usually many variations, often subtle, which all puyt some strain on your memory to recall.

Some openings - called systems - are not as much subject to those kind of variations and subtleties, and what I'll be presenting in this thread is one of those.

Called the "London System", it looks to obtain this set-up at the end of the opening :

It can be achieved against nearly any black answer (1... d5 for those who play the QGC or QGA or the slav, 1.Nf6 for the KID and Gruenfeld players, even against the Dutch - 1... f5). An exception is 1... e5 as played by Dofla, but that is quite inferior for black so you should just think and play sensefull moves and you should be good to go.

There can be "some" subtleties with the move order or even where to put the LSB in this opening - either on e2 or on d3.

Midway through writing this I found a very good study for this, so I'll leave you with this link :

https://lichess.org/study/plnOAuiI

Enjoy and don't hesitate to try it and post in this thread your best games with it ;)
    I think I've done that once without having the intention to in one match.
    Well I wouldn't want you to lose 5 years of your life only to discover that you'll never beat me
    Meanwhile ... Fab beat me I'm sorry guys

Dark squared bishop. LSB isn't a drug, it's the light squared bishop

so is the dark squared bishop weaker because most of the white pawns are on dark squares, taking away its mobillity and abillity to retreat/defed

so is the dark squared bishop weaker because most of the white pawns are on dark squares, taking away its mobillity and abillity to retreat/defed
    That's exactly it. I guess I'll make a thread about how to evaluate a position strategically this is one of the key points.

That's exactly it. I guess I'll make a thread about how to evaluate a position strategically this is one of the key points.
    I've always though LBS was mostly important because it can target the f7 square which is black's weak point during the earlier parts of the game, therefore making it more important than the DSB.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Whitebeard View Post
    I've always though LBS was mostly important because it can target the f7 square which is black's weak point during the earlier parts of the game, therefore making it more important than the DSB.
    Both bishops hold similar value at the start of the game, how it develops from then on depends which becomes more important if any. Sometimes both bishops should just be exchanged because of the closed nature of the position. But I think strategic points need a topic of their own, there are many things to be discussed. I have a book from which I should be able to chose good exercices and examples

its ok, not something I've explored yet. I like systems, but there are d4 openings that I prefer more. It's solid and I prefer to open up the game more.

Quote Originally Posted by Egress View Post
    its ok, not something I've explored yet. I like systems, but there are d4 openings that I prefer more. It's solid and I prefer to open up the game more.
    Here's a game I played with the London system on friday : https://lichess.org/study/RFpmjvdg (vs FC chapter). Seems quite open to me