Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tower of God - Why and Where to Read

Besto place:

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/t...st?title_no=95

And if you're not a fan of the scrolling layout: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tower-of-God

updates on Mondays

And now for the Why:
    Originally a Zentos post~
    @Crispickle; @Zu; @DreX; @Tokio; @Great Potato; @Pimp of Pimps; @Ichiryuu;

Tower of God (https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/...st?title_no=95) is a webtoon written and drawn by Lee Jong-hui, also known by the pen-name SIU.

ToG centers around a boy called Twenty-Fifth Bam, who has spent most of his life trapped beneath a mysterious Tower, with only his close friend, Rachel, to keep him company. When Rachel enters the Tower, Baam manages to open a door into it as well, and faces challenges at each floor of this tower as he tries to find his closest companion.

While the start is quite light-hearted, we soon find out that the tower is anything but, lives being taken on every step and many times for nothing but the sake of entertainment. As if that wasn't enough, it's ruled by a tyrant who will extinguish any threat to his rule, no matter how small it may be, even if it meant slaughtering children. Despite this, he has many followers and a great number of the tower inhabitants support him.

The plot is thought out quite well, with multiple factions fighting against each other, sometimes even within their own ranks. There's many things that are yet to be explored and a plethora of questions that need to be answered. Still, the author didn't allow all the plots and sub-plots to get convoluted and create a mess, and instead handles it with enough delicacy that he can keep a very natural flow.

The characters are quite unique, each with their own set of quirks, background and a reason to go higher. The cast is by no means small and allows every arc to have multiple plots running though it, without the MC sticking his nose into every one of those. The fact that alignments means very little can often keep you on your toes, because you never know when someone will flip sides for their own goal.

Some people find the art odd, but it does get significantly better as the story goes on, so don't let it discourage you.

The battles are quite well written, with good choreography and strategising, giving us a better experience than just a slug fast. Every floor has a test that allows you to move up, into the next floor. They are often based around objectives, which blends in with the fights extremely well, giving the author space to show us that strength is not the only thing you need to win.

All in all, I'd say it's a really good series that got me hooked instantly and had me read it within 3 days. It's also a weekly with each chapter numbering ~100 pages, so there's plenty of action every week.

Also, here's how Usopp and Dofla explained it to me:

Quote Originally Posted by Usopp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The right question is: “Why wouldn’t I?” To be honest I can give you a lot of reasons why you should start reading ToG.

For example: You obviously won’t be disappointed because of the art, for it’s amazing. The storyline is amazing and truly fascinating.
    There’s a lot of depth in ToG. 300+ chapters in and we still don’t know a thing about certain organizations and characters. The fighting scenes are well played out. Also, it’s kind of different.

See it out for yourself, it’s good!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    Because you're a bitch if you don't.

If you're into sprawling, seemingly never-ending adventures that ooze creativity in every chapter, then Tower of God is the series for you. The first few chapters are simple enough, and therefore you might be fooled into believing this is a simple series. But then you meet a giant cape-wearing, spear-wielding crocodile and you realise you don't know shit.

Every single character has something that makes them unique from everyone else, and seeing these people becomes allies and enemies as they ascend the tower is the true hook of Tower of God. In one chapter, you might be enjoying one of Koon's many genius-level strategies as he embarrasses his opponent, but in the next, someone will make fun of his girly earrings and everyone will have a laugh at this expense. These two scenes may appear jarring when seen together, but ToG blends the action and comedy so well that you're too busy being immersed in the story to even notice.

The battle system is also worth noting. Without spoiling too much, everyone is split into five types, but it's unique in that it can be difficult for one type to succeed on his own, as all the types complement each other and it's far better to have at least one of each type in your team. Other than that, the battle system is fairly simple, which is good because your puny brain will be too busy getting blown away by everything else ToG has to offer.

Seriously, it's like the author has a million different creative ideas he wants to include, but also has the foresight to not blow his load all at once. Instead expands his world in a way that's both impressive, but allows him to save important details for later, so you're basically forced to continue reading if you want to see the full picture. Cunning, is it not?

To sum up Zentos, this is the best series ever made, and if you don't read it, then you the worst guy ever made.

Last edited by Makenzye; 08-07-2018 at 06:55 PM.

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

okay whats this about? the series?

Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    okay whats this about? the series?
    What do you desire? Fortune? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpasses all others? What ever you desire, 'that is here'. Tower of God. Join Twenty-Fifth Baam as climbs each level of the Tower to find his beloved friend, Lahel. Facing from impossible missions to mind bending puzzles as he uses any means necessary to reach the top
    summary-ish thing right here

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    summary-ish thing right here
    nice. so...does it have a reasonable power creep?

nice. so...does it have a reasonable power creep?
    kinda, but it's like OP if I had to say since the top tiers are introduced rather early on in the series and we see what they can do rather than saved for the end like Toriko

i'll try

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-chan View Post
    i'll try

Please give it a try. I know you'll like it.

"For years he devoted himself to training and after he could no longer find strong foes, Mihawk joined the Warlords."

"Though Hawk-Eyes strikes fear into the hearts of those who follow the way of the sword, he looks forward to the future, to the day when he will meet the swordmaster that surpasses his rival 'Red Hair'."

"He rose to renown even before the Great Age of Piracy. Even now he reigns supreme as the World's Best in name and actuality, an exceptional master swordsman."

"He sits atop as the strongest, gazing down at his prey. The World's Strongest Swordsman!"

i'll try

it's nice

i'm staying for yuri

and i thought headon was an uninspired name

khun aguero

and i thought headon was an uninspired name

khun aguero
    does that mean something in Italian?

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    does that mean something in Italian?
    dammit void

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Ag%C3%BCero

in my defense, I only know about Neymar and Ronaldo lol

I forgot I had to read this.

Why you should read Tower of God

@Crispickle; @Zu; @DreX; @Tokio; @Great Potato; @Pimp of Pimps; @Ichiryuu;

Tower of God (https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/...st?title_no=95) is a webtoon written and drawn by Lee Jong-hui, also known by the pen-name SIU.

ToG centers around a boy called Twenty-Fifth Bam, who has spent most of his life trapped beneath a mysterious Tower, with only his close friend, Rachel, to keep him company. When Rachel enters the Tower, Baam manages to open a door into it as well, and faces challenges at each floor of this tower as he tries to find his closest companion.

While the start is quite light-hearted, we soon find out that the tower is anything but, lives being taken on every step and many times for nothing but the sake of entertainment. As if that wasn't enough, it's ruled by a tyrant who will extinguish any threat to his rule, no matter how small it may be, even if it meant slaughtering children. Despite this, he has many followers and a great number of the tower inhabitants support him.

The plot is thought out quite well, with multiple factions fighting against each other, sometimes even within their own ranks. There's many things that are yet to be explored and a plethora of questions that need to be answered. Still, the author didn't allow all the plots and sub-plots to get convoluted and create a mess, and instead handles it with enough delicacy that he can keep a very natural flow.

The characters are quite unique, each with their own set of quirks, background and a reason to go higher. The cast is by no means small and allows every arc to have multiple plots running though it, without the MC sticking his nose into every one of those. The fact that alignments means very little can often keep you on your toes, because you never know when someone will flip sides for their own goal.

Some people find the art odd, but it does get significantly better as the story goes on, so don't let it discourage you.

The battles are quite well written, with good choreography and strategising, giving us a better experience than just a slug fast. Every floor has a test that allows you to move up, into the next floor. They are often based around objectives, which blends in with the fights extremely well, giving the author space to show us that strength is not the only thing you need to win.

All in all, I'd say it's a really good series that got me hooked instantly and had me read it within 3 days. It's also a weekly with each chapter numbering ~100 pages, so there's plenty of action every week.

Also, here's how Usopp and Dofla explained it to me:

Quote Originally Posted by Usopp View Post
    The right question is: “Why wouldn’t I?” To be honest I can give you a lot of reasons why you should start reading ToG.

For example: You obviously won’t be disappointed because of the art, for it’s amazing. The storyline is amazing and truly fascinating.
    There’s a lot of depth in ToG. 300+ chapters in and we still don’t know a thing about certain organizations and characters. The fighting scenes are well played out. Also, it’s kind of different.

See it out for yourself, it’s good!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    Because you're a bitch if you don't.

If you're into sprawling, seemingly never-ending adventures that ooze creativity in every chapter, then Tower of God is the series for you. The first few chapters are simple enough, and therefore you might be fooled into believing this is a simple series. But then you meet a giant cape-wearing, spear-wielding crocodile and you realise you don't know shit.

Every single character has something that makes them unique from everyone else, and seeing these people becomes allies and enemies as they ascend the tower is the true hook of Tower of God. In one chapter, you might be enjoying one of Koon's many genius-level strategies as he embarrasses his opponent, but in the next, someone will make fun of his girly earrings and everyone will have a laugh at this expense. These two scenes may appear jarring when seen together, but ToG blends the action and comedy so well that you're too busy being immersed in the story to even notice.

The battle system is also worth noting. Without spoiling too much, everyone is split into five types, but it's unique in that it can be difficult for one type to succeed on his own, as all the types complement each other and it's far better to have at least one of each type in your team. Other than that, the battle system is fairly simple, which is good because your puny brain will be too busy getting blown away by everything else ToG has to offer.

Seriously, it's like the author has a million different creative ideas he wants to include, but also has the foresight to not blow his load all at once. Instead expands his world in a way that's both impressive, but allows him to save important details for later, so you're basically forced to continue reading if you want to see the full picture. Cunning, is it not?

To sum up Zentos, this is the best series ever made, and if you don't read it, then you the worst guy ever made.
    Last edited by Zentos; 07-29-2018 at 10:18 PM.

could never really get into the art, personally
    トキオ Love.$ex.Dreams
    (≧◡≦) ♡ l Feels Like Summer l

Quote Originally Posted by Tokio View Post
    could never really get into the art, personally
    That's not very cool.

good luck trying to get crispy to read anything

someone link me the first chapter

i will give it a go

someone link me the first chapter

i will give it a go
    The link is in the OP.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tower-of-...-000?id=349923

It's a lot easier to read if you put it on All pages, instead of one by one.