Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1. #1

    Official Geopolitics Thread

    Discuss current geopolitics here.
    No.​

  2. #2

  3. #3
    the geopolitcal situation will take a turn for the worse if the EU starts to pursue its own goals.

    the way the current US and European administrations drift apart in fundamental approaches of certain matters it might come to that within the next decade.

    nothing i really look forward to.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the geopolitcal situation will take a turn for the worse if the EU starts to pursue its own goals.

    the way the current US and European administrations drift apart in fundamental approaches of certain matters it might come to that within the next decade.

    nothing i really look forward to.

    In what way specifically (for the sake of discussion/activity)?
    No.​

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In what way specifically (for the sake of discussion/activity)?
    because european interests are not necessary chinese, russian or american interests. as the worlds global leading financial haven the european union until now could be sure that their own financial and social well being is cared for even inspite of geopolitical harshness between america, russia and china.

    with recent events - such as the newly passed iran/russian sanction of the US administration without consultation of their european allies this is not bound to stay forever.

    one of the reasons is that the sanction bill specifically targeted an european/russian energy plan. specifically word by word purposing to prevent it

    (9) to continue to oppose the NordStream 2 pipeline given its detrimental impacts on the European Union’s energy security
    so the US allies help create jobs

    (10) that the United States Government should prioritize the export of United States energy resources in order to create American jobs
    -

    the senate bill is s722 and can be read by anyone.

    -

    this bill led to european retalitation arguments and damage control behind the curtain, due to its unprecedented wording.

    with the way the current us administration and the eu stand no longer back to back on key issues (like this prime example of sanction bill) the european union is forced to deploy its own geopolitical weight, because the goals are starting to differ.

  6. #6
    What do you guys think about the Iran situation?
    No.​

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you guys think about the Iran situation?
    completely forgot you wanted an update. i worte a lot with my friend in iran. i can give a summary on her thoughts tomorrow.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    completely forgot you wanted an update. i worte a lot with my friend in iran. i can give a summary on her thoughts tomorrow.

    Please do.
    No.​

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please do.
    she pretty much says it doesnt matter what happens, in the end nothing will change, even the guys who push for change now are in the end corrupt politicans who send their children to live luxurious lifes in europe while at the same time harming iran. she wants to leave as soon as possible since she doesnt belive the country can every be safed.

    also she sais tv reports the protests have stopped

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is there a TLDR?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is there a TLDR?

    I forgot to finish it. Doing so now.

    Anyway, are you interesting in making this thread grow? You seem to have an interest in geopolitics.
    No.​

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I forgot to finish it. Doing so now.

    Anyway, are you interesting in making this thread grow? You seem to have an interest in geopolitics.
    well im always interested in how the world shapes and develops and the different points of view people can have about it. be it biased, indifferent, interested, direct impacted by it and so forth.

    but i dont really have ideas how to make it grow. will participate in talking about the brought up interesting topics tho

  14. #14
    @Pimp of Pimps;

    maybe you have heard about it already, but women in iran are currently protesting with standing on top of objects while taking off their hijabs. my friend made me first aware of it and now it spread through the media as well

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8185611.html

  15. #15
    EU prepares response to possible US tariffs


    the focus would most likely be on agricultural produce including tomatoes and potatoes.

    tariffs might also be slapped on motorcycle imports. The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung said EU officials had mentioned the possibility of imposing a tariff on Harley-Davidson imports from Wisconsin, the home of House Speaker Paul Ryan.
    They also mentioned a possible tariff on bourbon from Tennessee and Kentucky, the home of longtime Kentucky Senator and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

    http://www.dw.com/en/eu-prepares-res...ffs/a-42652436

    --

    very interesting.

    the EU response targets specific markets in regions of trump supporters

  16. #16
    it just got a tad bit more serious

    The European Union is preparing punitive tariffs on iconic U.S. brands produced in key Republican constituencies
    Targeting 2.8 billion euros ($3.5 billion) of American goods, the EU aims to apply a 25 percent tit-for-tat levy on a range of consumer, agricultural and steel products imported from the U.S.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...taliation-plan

    its like watching a game of pong.



    - - - Updated - - -

    i have to admit thats a strong move. the overall impact on trade is limited, with only 3.8 billion dollars.

    however the complete impact boils down to the manufacturers and voters mainly supporting / being located in the republicans strongholds.

    its no wonder republican senators and speaksmen try to avoid this shit

    didnt thought the EU would be this sneaky

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @Pimp of Pimps;

    maybe you have heard about it already, but women in iran are currently protesting with standing on top of objects while taking off their hijabs. my friend made me first aware of it and now it spread through the media as well

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8185611.html

    I know I'm late, but I find this very unfortunate and a sign of intellectual decline.
    No.​

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know I'm late, but I find this very unfortunate and a sign of intellectual decline.
    its a sign of intellectual decline that women protest the coerced wearing of a hijab?

    i heard that the prince of saudi arabia is currently aiming to remove the law which forced the women to wear such a hijab and body robe as well.

    thats a good sign in my eyes. from what i recall you are against forcing women to wear a hijab as well. or have i misremembered that?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    its a sign of intellectual decline that women protest the coerced wearing of a hijab?

    i heard that the prince of saudi arabia is currently aiming to remove the law which forced the women to wear such a hijab and body robe as well.

    thats a good sign in my eyes. from what i recall you are against forcing women to wear a hijab as well. or have i misremembered that?
    The intellectual decline is in the hypocrisy. These women are Muslims, although Shia, and therefore do believe that they are obligated to wear the hijab. Going against your beliefs is only ever a sign of intellectual decline. If they were enlightened, the only reason for them removing the hijab would be that they do not believe it to be an obligation. The general rule is that Muslims going against againsts of their own faith is a sign of intellectual decline.

    As for Saudi Arabia, bin Salman is pushing liberal agenda in hopes of consolidating public opinion and controlling the masses. In 1979 the Grand Mosque Seizure occurred due to rising resentment against the liberal nature of the Saudi royal family. As a response, the Saudi royal family started to emphasize and spread a 'conservative' or Wahabi brand of Islam in hopes of appeasing the people. This has worked for quite a while, but as people get more and more access to information due to the internet it's become much easier to learn the truth about certain matters (that there is no Islamic justification for not allowing women to drive, for example). That, combined with certain economic concerns, has caused bin Salman to now advocate a more liberal version of Islam in the hopes of keeping the yoke on the people strong.

    It is a mistake to assume that just because people are doing things that align with your ideological worldview that this means that it is a good thing. What works for one group of people may not necessarily work for another. Both the taking off of the hijab in Iran and bin Salman's reforms are signs of intellectual stagnation and/or decline.
    No.​

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The intellectual decline is in the hypocrisy. These women are Muslims, although Shia, and therefore do believe that they are obligated to wear the hijab. Going against your beliefs is only ever a sign of intellectual decline. If they were enlightened, the only reason for them removing the hijab would be that they do not believe it to be an obligation. The general rule is that Muslims going against againsts of their own faith is a sign of intellectual decline.

    As for Saudi Arabia, bin Salman is pushing liberal agenda in hopes of consolidating public opinion and controlling the masses. In 1979 the Grand Mosque Seizure occurred due to rising resentment against the liberal nature of the Saudi royal family. As a response, the Saudi royal family started to emphasize and spread a 'conservative' or Wahabi brand of Islam in hopes of appeasing the people. This has worked for quite a while, but as people get more and more access to information due to the internet it's become much easier to learn the truth about certain matters (that there is no Islamic justification for not allowing women to drive, for example). That, combined with certain economic concerns, has caused bin Salman to now advocate a more liberal version of Islam in the hopes of keeping the yoke on the people strong.

    It is a mistake to assume that just because people are doing things that align with your ideological worldview that this means that it is a good thing. What works for one group of people may not necessarily work for another. Both the taking off of the hijab in Iran and bin Salman's reforms are signs of intellectual stagnation and/or decline.
    just because you are born a certain way does not mean it reflects your very beliefs. seeing how they protest these laws is a sign of them not going against their beliefs but not believing in it in the first place.

    which i agree on. also i do not think it is even law to wear a hijab. from what i recall thats simply one interpretation of how a decent worn women is supposed to wear.

    you commit no hypocrisis when you simply dont agree with whatever interpretation your lawmakers think is appropriate. nor are you a traitor to your "beliefs".

    -

    you are free to believe that all these changes are a sign of decline, however when all you base your argument of is the pure and utter certainity of religion this only gets you so far. you cant say why it is a decline outside of "they go against of their beliefs" (which i already mentioned is not an accurate argument in the first place, seeing how its only an interpretation and if you dont believe in said interpretation its not against your beliefs) and that it "may not necessarily work for another".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •