Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chess Events

Knight of Elegance Big Daddy Alias's Avatar
    Last day of the world rapid !

http://riyadh2017.fide.com/live-open/

Quite tight at the top, two players at 8.5 then a bunch at 8 (Anand Svidler and Carlsen amongst them)

Man Magnus might be squeezing a win from nothing in the endgame vs Fedoseev. If he wins I swear he's a magician.

- - - Updated - - -

And he did it. This is crazy. Now he's in the sole lead for the first time of the tournament.

lol magician huh?

Quote Originally Posted by DreX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lol magician huh?
    The commentators had been saying the position was a draw for 15 moves, that they couldn't see how Fedoseev could ever lose that. Then at some point Carlsen began placing his pawns on perfect squares, the commentator said "if queens are exchanged now it'd look easier to play for black but very much draw still. Then Fedo lost

Really you have to see Carlsen play live during endgames, it's always a good lesson, even if he can't win all, he shows how one should play the endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Alias View Post
    The commentators had been saying the position was a draw for 15 moves, that they couldn't see how Fedoseev could ever lose that. Then at some point Carlsen began placing his pawns on perfect squares, the commentator said "if queens are exchanged now it'd look easier to play for black but very much draw still. Then Fedo lost

Really you have to see Carlsen play live during endgames, it's always a good lesson, even if he can't win all, he shows how one should play the endgame.

Indeed.

Especially for me since i kinda lose order towards the end in 10/5 mins games, even if i'm in a better position, and might miss checks and lose running out of time.

I really am no good for timed games.

Artemiev, 19 yo and only half a point behind the leader(s) (with or without an s depending on Anand's result vs Sasha)

So it's over, Anand (5 times World champion !) won the Rapid World Championship ahead of Fedoseev and Nepo, all three half a point ahead of some players including Carlsen.

Today the blitz begins, with 11 rounds of 3+2 today and another 10 tomorrow. Expect a thriling tournament in 1h07' from now on http://riyadh2017.fide.com/live-open/

Carlsen lost the first blitz. He was completely winning, the other guy made an illegal move, Carlsen didn't see it and thus made an illegal move himself, which his opponent called. And there you go, that's a loss

LOL

who won the blitz?

and congrats anand

Carlsen lost the first blitz. He was completely winning, the other guy made an illegal move, Carlsen didn't see it and thus made an illegal move himself, which his opponent called. And there you go, that's a loss

Quote Originally Posted by The Bald Headed Negro View Post
    who won the blitz?

and congrats anand
    Carlsen won the blitz with 16/21, after a wonky start of 7/11 on the first day. On the second day he had 8 wins and 2 draws for no loss at all.

So it is Carlsen in classical, Anand in rapid and Carlsen in blitz. Quite the names.

Tried to sign up on a local FIDE tournament ... I wasn't permitted to participate

The reason being is that I am not a resident of the country (I am an Egyptian after all)... And foreigners need to have their FIDE ID and rating. Too bad I never went on that tournament when I was in highschool, so I never got it. I am basically locked out of all FIDE tournaments until I get my rating. And I no longer have the time to get myself back in shape when it comes to chess.

So I guess I am stuck with small tourneys
    Stay a while, and listen!

I am the great mighty poo, and Im going to throw my shit at you.

Get over here!

The Game Master, here to create amazing games for everyone!

Learn Networking In A Simple Yet Enjoyable Fashion! ↓
    https://chessbrain94.wixsite.com/ifnetworkswerehuman

I love that rule, can't wait to win a game with it in my next blitz tourney

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    I love that rule, can't wait to win a game with it in my next blitz tourney
    I think I've never won nor lost any game due to that

In other news, the final of the Speed Chess championship, organized by Chess.com, was held yesterday, between Carlsen and Naka, which was a repeat of last year final. Carlsen was in superb form yesterday and won 18-9 with a surprizing 7.5-2.5 score in the bullet section (surprising given Naka's proficiency when it comes to bullet).

Here's a link to the chess.com report of the match : https://www.chess.com/news/view/carl...s-championship

And here you can replay the match : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv0Aw2_SO6Q

When do you guys think the era of carlsen will end?

Hopefully not in a while
    ​​

The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    When do you guys think the era of carlsen will end?
    I think he'll win his next 2 WC title defense at least. Anything is possible though, but he seems quite superior in match format at the moment, even if his most dominant years were more like 2010-2015. The fact that he had troubles winning classical tournaments this year might send him back to work and make him stronger. If not I can see him losing his title in 2022.

I was planning on making such a calendar myself for 2018 but chess24 has already made a very nice one so why bother ?

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/2018-chess-calendar

What event do you guys anticipate the most ?

I always prefer the candidates tournament over the actual Match, and this year's candidates is quite stacked. Only Anand and MVL missed the qualification amongst the true top guys.

I wish to see Magnus back in his best form this year cuz in classical chess 2017 was a bit lackluster for him, but his rapid/blitz performances made up a bit for it.

IMG_2103.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry guys, ignore that image, i was just checking whether i can upload something from my mobile.

So @Umber; just finished the shading, so what do you think? Can you beat me