Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chess Events

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    oh man, carlsen in action

- - - Updated - - -

some 1500-1600 elo guy just drew with a 2300
    I mean, why is even that guy in the field ?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Alias View Post
    I might be the only one who likes him

But really his play is one of the best I've ever seen from a human being. Other players coming to mind with a level close to him are Capablanca, Fischer, Kasparov, maybe Morphy but it's hard to say cuz at that time there was less competition ... Lasker wasn't half bad either
    Sasha literally had him outplayed and outmanuovered in the speed chess championship, in almost every game Carlsen had to swindle a win out of him in the endgame by putting his pieces on awkward squares and causing Sasha to spend more time than he had too figuring out his next move.

Carlsen got lucky that Sasha gave him so much respect, if Sasha had better time management he would have absolutely wiped the floor with him

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Sasha literally had him outplayed and outmanuovered in the speed chess championship, in almost every game Carlsen had to swindle a win out of him in the endgame by putting his pieces on awkward squares and causing Sasha to spend more time than he had too figuring out his next move.

Carlsen got lucky that Sasha gave him so much respect, if Sasha had better time management he would have absolutely wiped the floor with him
    kind of reminds me of a certain game

Time management is an important part of Chess, you need to know what moves need more time spent on them than others. I dont think Ive ever had to swindle a win out of you though and I havent ever really tried to run the clock down against you either (although perhaps I should use this as a strategy when I play against you). You've blundered too but it wasnt because of time pressure, if you mean the game where I used the italian against you that was over before we even hit the 2 minutes passed mark

Time management is an important part of Chess, you need to know what moves need more time spent on them than others. I dont think Ive ever had to swindle a win out of you though and I havent ever really tried to run the clock down against you either (although perhaps I should use this as a strategy when I play against you). You've blundered too but it wasnt because of time pressure, if you mean the game where I used the italian against you that was over before we even hit the 2 minutes passed mark
    i meant that first game in the tournament against you where I was winning, but running low on time and than blundered my king. I'm just messing around tho, time management and pure calculation speed is indeed a vital part of chess strength.

- - - Updated - - -

blundering is also an important part of strength. If either of us eliminated blunders we'd probably be able to give dofla a good go.

Oh that, the threat was there for a while you know before the mate came

If I ever find myself much lower time or im something like a pawn down then Ive just taken to playing for draws, I played against some 1800 dude recently and even though I had a clear advantage I only had like 50 seconds left on the clock in the end I just decided to perpetually check him. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic about it

Oh that, the threat was there for a while you know before the mate came

If I ever find myself much lower time or im something like a pawn down then Ive just taken to playing for draws, I played against some 1800 dude recently and even though I had a clear advantage I only had like 50 seconds left on the clock in the end I just decided to perpetually check him. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic about it
    I try to play for improvement more so these days than for winning, so I've been doing the opposite of being pragmatic lately, trying out new openings and unfamiliar positions

I'm also using a practice account now on lichess... seeing my main account drop back into the 1500s hurt enough... i can't drop further by taking risk on purpose

- - - Updated - - -

actually, i'm not sure if I even could drop into the 1400s at this point, you've probably noticed too, but half of them play completely weird and off kilter moves. While also not being what I'd consider tough tactically.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart View Post
    I try to play for improvement more so these days than for winning, so I've been doing the opposite of being pragmatic lately, trying out new openings and unfamiliar positions

I'm also using a practice account now on lichess... seeing my main account drop back into the 1500s hurt enough... i can't drop further by taking risk on purpose

- - - Updated - - -

actually, i'm not sure if I even could drop into the 1400s at this point, you've probably noticed too, but half of them play completely weird and off kilter moves. While also not being what I'd consider tough tactically.
    Anyone in the mid 1400s could beat me, but I can beat people with an elo of like 300-400 above that so I tend to just play ranked games against 1500s since theyre the ones who can give me the best rewards if I beat them and it isnt as big a deal if I lose

The 1400s is a weird place, some of them are pretty good in terms of their combinations and tactics and they can do well in responding to what you throw at them and I think some of them are like me in that they can beat opponents who are rated higher than them. I honestly dont think there is a big difference between a 1400 and a 1600 player. 1600 players are better but they arent noticeably better. I think im playing the English wrong too, my win rate is alright with it but I feel much more self assured when im black and play a sicillian. Im trying to learn the berlin atm too

Anyone in the mid 1400s could beat me, but I can beat people with an elo of like 300-400 above that so I tend to just play ranked games against 1500s since theyre the ones who can give me the best rewards if I beat them and it isnt as big a deal if I lose

The 1400s is a weird place, some of them are pretty good in terms of their combinations and tactics and they can do well in responding to what you throw at them and I think some of them are like me in that they can beat opponents who are rated higher than them. I honestly dont think there is a big difference between a 1400 and a 1600 player. 1600 players are better but they arent noticeably better
    There's a pretty big difference, i think you're just a unique case. I would even say there's a notable difference between 1400s and 1500s. I have to try really hard to consistently beat 1600s, whereas I can not try at all and still beat most 1400s(granted, i will sometimes lose to one precisely because I'm not trying and they played some weird move that threw me off.) I can fairly comfortably beat 1500s, but it feels like I'm playing someone atleast in the same tier as me, even if not quite as good.

What i've noticed is that most 1400s lack positional sense, and don't make up for it with their tactics either. While if a 1500 has the positional sense of a 1400 he's probably quite a strong tactician/calculator, same for a 1600. They just play a lot better in my experience tbh. And just mathematically, there should be a notable difference at that point, I think your playing strength is just very variable and all over the place, so you sometimes beat stronger players and sometimes lose to weaker players. I'm a little bit of the same way, but have become more and more consistent since the tournament started.

It's still 2 years in a row he gets to the final (and he beat Grischuk 15.5-10.5 after all, it's not that close either), Carlsen really is a beast in rapid chess. And I feel most of the time he gets in troublesome position because he plays his openings a bit ... carefreely (that's not a word is it ?) But he manages to outplay opponents from worse position more often than not, so he'zs not that bad. And yeah Sasha is a beast at rapid/blitz chess actually so I wouldn't have been that surprised if he'd managed to beat Magnus.

Anyway, after 2 days of chess the rankings are as can be seen here on chessgames :

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=92129 Still many players in contention.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news, the chess winter marathon is live on Lichess

https://lichess.org/tournament/winter17

What a game

tfw youre gonna beat someone higher rated than Alias

https://lichess.org/ORCJr95qaj1k

nice comeback

Wait nvm carry on

Wait nvm carry on
    You had the game

Should've gone for simpler moves with the knights and been more careful IMO.

This feeling, it hurts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Whitebeard View Post
    You had the game

Should've gone for simpler moves with the knights and been more careful IMO.
    Once I took the Rook all my pieces where already in kinda bad positions, none of my queens side minor pieces where developed and my pawn structures where gone. I shouldnt have lost but my position wasnt that great

Once I took the Rook all my pieces where already in kinda bad positions, none of my queens side minor pieces where developed and my pawn structures where gone. I shouldnt have lost but my position wasnt that great
    Still, a simple pawn up would have formed a strong chain with the bishop. And you could simply move the knight to the right, start attacking his isolated pawn. What is gone is gone but it's a pity you lost like that. Merely concentration mistakes.

My bishop was trapped in my backline, I didnt have time to do anything like that. The attacks where coming too quickly. I admit though I should have moved the knight before the pawn