Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chess Events

Chess Events

Hello dear chess enthusiasts, here we'll talk about all news and events (important tourneys) taking place.

If you wanna comment on one of those event please do so, if you wanna highlight one particular game you enjoyed watching, do so as well !

I'll begin with the World Rapid and Blitz championship, which take place in Saudi Arabi starting today until the 30th of december. In last year's events, Carlsen took shared first place in both the blitz and the rapid sections only to fall second in both cases because of a worse tie-break.

Here's the official website, it began an hour ago approx (and Carlsen lost his first game !?) http://riyadh2017.fide.com/live-open/

As a reminder, you can find all the ratings of the top players here : http://2700chess.com

@DoflaMihawk; @Game Master; @Ricky; @Heart; @Egress; @SpiRo; @Fabulous; @Crispinianus; @UltraMarine; @X; @X's Bitch; @Aether; @Nordlending; @The Bald Headed Negro; @Tigerclaw; If I forgot anyone please mention them for me !

Am I the only one who doesn't like Carlsen ? xD
    Stay a while, and listen!

I am the great mighty poo, and Im going to throw my shit at you.

Get over here!

The Game Master, here to create amazing games for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Game Master View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I the only one who doesn't like Carlsen ? xD
    I might be the only one who likes him

But really his play is one of the best I've ever seen from a human being. Other players coming to mind with a level close to him are Capablanca, Fischer, Kasparov, maybe Morphy but it's hard to say cuz at that time there was less competition ... Lasker wasn't half bad either

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Alias View Post

But really his play is one of the best I've ever seen from a human being. Other players coming to mind with a level close to him are Capablanca, Fischer, Kasparov, maybe Morphy but it's hard to say cuz at that time there was less competition ... Lasker wasn't half bad either
    If you look at him as a computer playing chess, then yes you can like him... But honestly besides that he just gets on my nerves.

Get over here!

If you look at him as a computer playing chess, then yes you can like him... But honestly besides that he just gets on my nerves.
    Well he's childish and has his temper, but Kaspy was very much the same, if not worse, in that aspect. And I really love Magnus' play. Such harmony and simplicity associated with a strong will to always win.

Well he's childish and has his temper, but Kaspy was very much the same, if not worse, in that aspect. And I really love Magnus' play. Such harmony and simplicity associated with a strong will to always win.
    Kaspy as in Kasparov? At least he had style, he had his temper but he didn't act like a 10 year old lol. Nor did he look like one lol

Get over here!

Kaspy as in Kasparov? At least he had style, he had his temper but he didn't act like a 10 year old lol. Nor did he look like one lol
    He completely acted like a child, and he tried at more than one occasion to take moves back, the most famous one against Polgar (where he DID took a move back). And if by style you mean "chess" style, then Magnus has his own style as well, a bit reminiscent of Lasker, very psychological chess. Kaspy and Carlsen seem to have the same ambition of imposing their wills on their opponent. I love Kaspy, but as it is for Carlsen, I love them for how they play and probably couldn't stand either of them in a room.

Did you know there was a new AI created by Deepmind called AlpaZero which mastered chess in 4 hours and went on to beat Stockfish 8 26 times with 72 draws and 0 losses? It was making moves no human could understand, sometimes sacrficing a queen just to obtain a positional advantage.
    Last edited by Fabulous; 12-26-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    Well I wouldn't want you to lose 5 years of your life only to discover that you'll never beat me
    Meanwhile ... Fab beat me I'm sorry guys

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    Did you know there was a new AI created by Deepmind called AlpaZero which mastered chess in 4 hours and went on to beat Stockfish 8 26 times with 72 draws and 0 losses? It was making moves no human could understand, sometimes sacrficing a queen just to obtain a positional advantage.

I've read about it. The were some articles on the platforms where I usually go for informations regarding chess :

https://en.chessbase.com/post/alpha-...ans-and-apples

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/dee...-crushes-chess

https://www.chess.com/article/view/h...ero-play-chess

https://www.chess.com/article/view/a...t-predecessors

I wonder if we can somehow create the same learning capacity in humans as we do with AI.
    Well I wouldn't want you to lose 5 years of your life only to discover that you'll never beat me

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    I wonder if we can somehow create the same learning capacity in humans as we do with AI.
    The way the human brain processes informations and learns is much more efficient still. It works for many more tasks and is far more adaptative still. Might change in the future though. I feel we're both far but not so much from it ... I hope to see some real AI while I'm alive

The way the human brain processes informations and learns is much more efficient still. It works for many more tasks and is far more adaptative still. Might change in the future though. I feel we're both far but not so much from it ... I hope to see some real AI while I'm alive
    Our brains can't operate very quickly though and learning is a slow process. Lowkey I want to be as smart as AI.
    Last edited by Fabulous; 12-26-2017 at 04:44 PM.

I read somewhere that Capablanca was one of the best players despite not reading many chess books, is that right?

The Dragon of Katsurahama Nordlending's Avatar
    The Norwegian news are acting as usual. They have decided that Carlsen is the best and the competitors shouldn't bother meeting up to the chess tournament because the result is foregone conclusion.
    ​​

The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

He completely acted like a child, and he tried at more than one occasion to take moves back, the most famous one against Polgar (where he DID took a move back). And if by style you mean "chess" style, then Magnus has his own style as well, a bit reminiscent of Lasker, very psychological chess. Kaspy and Carlsen seem to have the same ambition of imposing their wills on their opponent. I love Kaspy, but as it is for Carlsen, I love them for how they play and probably couldn't stand either of them in a room.
    I only remember the older Kasparov, not the younger one. But I'll take your word for it.

Get over here!

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlending View Post
    The Norwegian news are acting as usual. They have decided that Carlsen is the best and the competitors shouldn't bother meeting up to the chess tournament because the result is foregone conclusion.
    That's my position as well

Though after 4 rounds he's "only" at 2.5 with 1 defeat and 1 draw, while there's still a guy with 4/4, and a bunch of followers at 3.5

He'll need to do some catching up.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    I read somewhere that Capablanca was one of the best players despite not reading many chess books, is that right?
    Capa didn't study any books on chess openings yes that's what he said. He kept his openings simple. He relied on his natural talent and did not dedicate himself to studying chess as much as top players of his time. Before he became a great player, he probably studied by observing games at chess clubs and reading chess magazines.

Interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting.

oh man, carlsen in action

- - - Updated - - -

some 1500-1600 elo guy just drew with a 2300