Alice in Borderland

Arisu, Karube, and Segawa, a trio of highschool delinquents, are bored with their current lives. During a firework celebration, Arisu wishes that he could live in a different world which would be more exciting for him. As such, his wish was granted, and the three were transported into a seemingly post-apocalyptic-like parallel world. After stepping into what seems to be an empty festival, they are greeted by a woman who tells them that they have already "entered their game". After clearing the game, she reveals to them that, in Borderlands, they must play games to survive.
    I'm on the chapter 10 and enjoying it. Doesn't take long to get into the good stuff, and I get Death Note/Tower of God vibes from the way the characters appoach the games.

@Ricky; @Sin; @Crispinianus; @Ink Spot; I feel like Danganronpa fans are likely to enjoy this series.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Imawa-no-Kuni-no-Alice
    Last edited by DoflaMihawk; 12-19-2017 at 05:09 PM.

No link?

are the other alice characters in this?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No link?
    pretty bad, right?

no image, no link. just a summary

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    No link?
    Put your glasses on geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Ink Spot View Post
    are the other alice characters in this?

- - - Updated - - -

pretty bad, right?

no image, no link. just a summary
    Here's an enemy in one of the 'games'.

gonna bookmark it and try it out later. there are no known horses in wonderland tho, except for white horse

I got excited for a moment and thought this was a VN Dofla

Ill more than likely forget about this, but who knows I might get round to reading this. 73 chapters is short enough that im not put off if enough people say its good ill read it

Is it finished?

Oh man, that Seven of Hearts game was heavy...

This just turned from a good manga into a great one. Someone please read so I can discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by Juan View Post
    Is it finished?
    Yup

Nr1 Tired Dad of TMF Featherine's Avatar
    Ah it's the author of hyde&closer's other work

No wonder it sounded familliar
    Last edited by Featherine; 12-19-2017 at 10:36 PM.

@Ultra; @Ink Spot; @Sin; @X; @Y; @Great Potato; and all mafia lovers.

I highly recommend you guys read the next five chapters, starting from the one I link. It's the closest I've found to a mafia-esque experience in a manga and it's very good. It's a self-contained side-story and doesn't spoil the rest of the manga at all.

Oh and the 'scum' is revealed at the end of the third chapter, so try to figure out who it is before them.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Imawa-no-...001-?id=272452

that looks pretty sick

will do

i'll start reading tonight or tomorrow

I'll check it out

forgot all about this, gonna give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    @Ultra; @Ink Spot; @Sin; @X; @Y; @Great Potato; and all mafia lovers.

I highly recommend you guys read the next five chapters, starting from the one I link. It's the closest I've found to a mafia-esque experience in a manga and it's very good. It's a self-contained side-story and doesn't spoil the rest of the manga at all.

Oh and the 'scum' is revealed at the end of the third chapter, so try to figure out who it is before them.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Imawa-no-...001-?id=272452
    Why not read the entire thing?

The Commander From Hell

We The North

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Why not read the entire thing?
    I'd recommend that too. But this side story is the closest thing to mafia in the series, so I thought the mafia community would be most interested in that.

thank you for the recommendation, dofla. it was a good series, but it lost its tempo in the latter half. i felt like there was close to no suspense after a certain point (i'd say the osmosis game is the last main storyline event where there's any suspense left), at least in the main storyline. agni's subplot vs the soldier was ofc pure suspense but that segment was just a subplot after all, and has no real bearing on the main story.

when the series peaked for me (around chapter 30) i was really into it, but it tapered off from there. still a nice read and when the story is good, it's good. the action parts were drawn fantastically (the art is excellent in general but the dynamism was sick in particular), however generally the intelligence based games were a bit boring for me, and the mindgames/instances of psychological warfare were usually completely unbelievable asspulls when they existed (the thought processes in the beauty pageant game were absurd).

also the ending is just pretty mediocre. i wasn't ticked off by it being yet another "the explanation is that there is no explanation, or rather that the explanation and message behind everything doesn't matter" - mystery, it's just that it'd be nice to actually have a mystery that doesn't bite off more than it can chew and has to opt for nonresolution instead of a satisfying climax.

if i had to choose one thing which i think was a waste of potential, it would be either that many of the 12 games in the second round were left unshown, or that the series doesn't have the balls to throw any curveballs to you in the second half. whereas arisu's squad gets eliminated in the first half with little buildup prior to the game itself (which makes those deaths much more impactful), basically no major storyline character dies in the second half. agni and his quasi wife and son survive, arisu and usagi obviously do, the med school student does, the hot chick with a dick does.. even niragi gets to see the outside world again, though niragi is just a fumbled mess with really no conclusion to him anyways.

so whereas death was palpable in the first half, in the second half which should be by all means more dangerous because every game is of the highest difficulty, the reader never worries about the characters dying because no one important ever does. the only ones that get killed are throwaways that honestly have very little relevance to the story but are shoehorned into being made to look more important than they actually are to the main cast and story, like the lambo dude who dies because arisu severs his hand.

still a pretty good series all things considered, though it definitely breaks its neck a little bit when it comes to tying everything up in a satisfactory manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin View Post
    thank you for the recommendation, dofla. it was a good series, but it lost its tempo in the latter half. i felt like there was close to no suspense after a certain point (i'd say the osmosis game is the last main storyline event where there's any suspense left), at least in the main storyline. agni's subplot vs the soldier was ofc pure suspense but that segment was just a subplot after all, and has no real bearing on the main story.

when the series peaked for me (around chapter 30) i was really into it, but it tapered off from there. still a nice read and when the story is good, it's good. the action parts were drawn fantastically (the art is excellent in general but the dynamism was sick in particular), however generally the intelligence based games were a bit boring for me, and the mindgames/instances of psychological warfare were usually completely unbelievable asspulls when they existed (the thought processes in the beauty pageant game were absurd).

also the ending is just pretty mediocre. i wasn't ticked off by it being yet another "the explanation is that there is no explanation, or rather that the explanation and message behind everything doesn't matter" - mystery, it's just that it'd be nice to actually have a mystery that doesn't bite off more than it can chew and has to opt for nonresolution instead of a satisfying climax.

if i had to choose one thing which i think was a waste of potential, it would be either that many of the 12 games in the second round were left unshown, or that the series doesn't have the balls to throw any curveballs to you in the second half. whereas arisu's squad gets eliminated in the first half with little buildup prior to the game itself (which makes those deaths much more impactful), basically no major storyline character dies in the second half. agni and his quasi wife and son survive, arisu and usagi obviously do, the med school student does, the hot chick with a dick does.. even niragi gets to see the outside world again, though niragi is just a fumbled mess with really no conclusion to him anyways.

so whereas death was palpable in the first half, in the second half which should be by all means more dangerous because every game is of the highest difficulty, the reader never worries about the characters dying because no one important ever does. the only ones that get killed are throwaways that honestly have very little relevance to the story but are shoehorned into being made to look more important than they actually are to the main cast and story, like the lambo dude who dies because arisu severs his hand.

still a pretty good series all things considered, though it definitely breaks its neck a little bit when it comes to tying everything up in a satisfactory manner.
    Glad you enjoyed it.

The whole Beach arc is definitely my favourite part of the series aswell. Everyone that mattered at that point was at the Beach, and all their different agendas clashing made for some great writing.

Side stories are just the ones that don't involve Arisu, so I considered them just as important as the 'main' chapters, especially the two King games. I agree the ending is a bit of a letdown (especially the final Hearts game after how great the other final bosses were) but I imagine it's hard for a mystery genre to have a satisfactory resolution, and it wasn't bad really, just alright.

Seeing the other face card games would've been great, but I guess the author just ran out of ideas. Better to not bother rather than give us some lame games IMO.

Yeah the series could've used some more shock deaths after the Seven of Hearts game. IIRC the last death that actually surprised me was the original leader of the Beach.