Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star wars

Star wars

Just saw it in the theatre.
    Was much better than last one
    Last edited by Great Potato; 12-17-2017 at 01:41 PM.
    -Fresh out of an icky gooey womb-

This post contains spoilers.

Havent seen the film, but I have watched a few major clips on YT and read a complete summary of the plot, and im very disappointed with how Snoke was handled.

For someone who was supposed to rival Palpatine in terms of power, it was a great shame that we never got to see his character expanded on or any of his combative capabilities, aside from a few basic force chokes and telekinetic moves. The same goes for Luke, who should have had a confrontation with him at some point in the film.

Overall, im pretty pissed off with the direction Disney has taken the two most recent films in. It was bad enough that the Legends timeline was all officially uncanonized, but everything in addition to that from the shitty acting, boring characters, new conflicting material and the terribly written single combat scenes have completely fucked the franchise.

Not everyone dies because they want to die.

Most of them die against their will

Quote Originally Posted by ReXDrake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Havent seen the film, but I have watched a few major clips on YT and read a complete summary of the plot, and im very disappointed with how Snoke was handled.

For someone who was supposed to rival Palpatine in terms of power, it was a great shame that we never got to see his character expanded on or any of his combative capabilities, aside from a few basic force chokes and telekinetic moves. The same goes for Luke, who should have had a confrontation with him at some point in the film.

Overall, im pretty pissed off with the direction Disney has taken the two most recent films in. It was bad enough that the Legends timeline was all officially uncanonized, but everything in addition to that from the shitty acting, boring characters, new conflicting material and the terribly written single combat scenes have completely fucked the franchise.
    ????

Where on earth was that ever implied.

Palpatine was the culmination of all previous sith and the greatest to ever live.
    Snoke is opportunistic gnat in comparison, he waited til all the heavyweights were dead before stepping into a power vacuum and taking command.

Quote Originally Posted by Numinous One View Post
    ????

Where on earth was that ever implied.

Palpatine was the culmination of all previous sith and the greatest to ever live.
    Snoke is opportunistic gnat in comparison, he waited til all the heavyweights were dead before stepping into a power vacuum and taking command.
    This was apparently confirmed in an interview with snokes actor and the directors, plus the background material accompanying the films also says something along those lines I think.

Obviously if we're taking into account the legends storylines then Palpatine should be above Snoke, but ever since Disney came into the picture the information has changed

This was apparently confirmed in an interview with snokes actor and the directors, plus the background material accompanying the films also says something along those lines I think.

Obviously if we're taking into account the legends storylines then Palpatine should be above Snoke, but ever since Disney came into the picture the information has changed
    I haven't seen any of that stuff so I'll take your word for it I guess.

Though even disney canon Palps is capable of using the force to pull down and fry entire starships, Vader survives massive explosions while at the epicenter and Luke pre-training can shake a star destroyer with a force amped punch.
    Disney might've gotten rid of all the massive feats, but they still have more than what's just shown in the movies.

felt like this movie dragged on for way too long

the way they ripped through snokes ship was dope as all fuck, though.

Soy Wars: The Feminist Awakens
    Soy Wars: The Last White Male
    Soy Wars: ???
    Last edited by Big Boss; 12-16-2017 at 03:06 PM.

I'd say the exact opposite. It was a breath of fresh air for the big bad strong super powerful conceited bad guy to just be taken out because he was way too sure of himself and it happened before the final big important last confrontation. It seems like your issue is with there not being enough fights but how is that a negative? Episode III had more lightsaber duels and force blarghs than any Star Wars film before or since but does anyone care about that? And the original Star Wars films, are they remembered because the Emperor could use force lightning or because the lightsaber duels were flashy? No. Those weren't important. Just vehicles for the story and more importantly, the characters and their relationships with each other.

This film was about the new generation coming into their own. Luke himself at one point talked about how everyone fell in love with the legend of him and not who he actually was which was a big problem. Snoke, as a character, was just the impetus to push Kylo into the dark who is a much more interesting and dynamic character than Snoke ever was anyway. Killing Snoke instead of treating and using him like a Palpatine 2.0 was a risky but excellent move. It's much more interesting this way and honestly, I'd say you're watching for the wrong reasons if you're disappointed in the movie because we didn't see Snoke get in a physical fight. Come to think of it, it's not like the Emperor in the original series did that much in terms of super flashy moves. He was just the big bad over Darth Vader, his attack dog. What was important was Vader and his son and what resulted out of the Emperor trying to kill Luke whilst his son cried to the good inside of his father.

Additionally, and this is just an observation, but you sound like the people who were mad that Cpt. Phasma didn't actually have a big role in Force Awakens because they had read interviews and read a bunch of snippets of the movie that she was some big and important secondary antagonist but she ultimately turned out to be barely worth mentioning. I remember how I only saw a few trailers of Force Awakens and thought nothing out of place when Phasma was dispatched so easily because I didn't read all the fervor that she was supposed to be someone important.....because she really wasn't. I'm not saying Snoke wasn't important or powerful but that Snoke, himself, isn't important as a character to our story. This trilogy isn't about him just like the original trilogy wasn't about the Emperor. We are now in uncharted territory and the third film could go anywhere which is incredibly exciting.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the film and was happy that they broke away from repeats and telling the same story over and over. My biggest issue focuses on what they did with Fin. It felt completely off to me and I wish they hadn't done that with him and the other character who was working with him. Honestly, if the entirety of that part was cut out of the film I think it would've been better off for it. Out of everything, it was the most baffling choice.
    http://www.millenniumforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic461_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifista View Post
    I'd say the exact opposite. It was a breath of fresh air for the big bad strong super powerful conceited bad guy to just be taken out because he was way too sure of himself and it happened before the final big important last confrontation. It seems like your issue is with there not being enough fights but how is that a negative? Episode III had more lightsaber duels and force blarghs than any Star Wars film before or since but does anyone care about that? And the original Star Wars films, are they remembered because the Emperor could use force lightning or because the lightsaber duels were flashy? No. Those weren't important. Just vehicles for the story and more importantly, the characters and their relationships with each other.

This film was about the new generation coming into their own. Luke himself at one point talked about how everyone fell in love with the legend of him and not who he actually was which was a big problem. Snoke, as a character, was just the impetus to push Kylo into the dark who is a much more interesting and dynamic character than Snoke ever was anyway. Killing Snoke instead of treating and using him like a Palpatine 2.0 was a risky but excellent move. It's much more interesting this way and honestly, I'd say you're watching for the wrong reasons if you're disappointed in the movie because we didn't see Snoke get in a physical fight. Come to think of it, it's not like the Emperor in the original series did that much in terms of super flashy moves. He was just the big bad over Darth Vader, his attack dog. What was important was Vader and his son and what resulted out of the Emperor trying to kill Luke whilst his son cried to the good inside of his father.

Additionally, and this is just an observation, but you sound like the people who were mad that Cpt. Phasma didn't actually have a big role in Force Awakens because they had read interviews and read a bunch of snippets of the movie that she was some big and important secondary antagonist but she ultimately turned out to be barely worth mentioning. I remember how I only saw a few trailers of Force Awakens and thought nothing out of place when Phasma was dispatched so easily because I didn't read all the fervor that she was supposed to be someone important.....because she really wasn't. I'm not saying Snoke wasn't important or powerful but that Snoke, himself, isn't important as a character to our story. This trilogy isn't about him just like the original trilogy wasn't about the Emperor. We are now in uncharted territory and the third film could go anywhere which is incredibly exciting.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the film and was happy that they broke away from repeats and telling the same story over and over. My biggest issue focuses on what they did with Fin. It felt completely off to me and I wish they hadn't done that with him and the other character who was working with him. Honestly, if the entirety of that part was cut out of the film I think it would've been better off for it. Out of everything, it was the most baffling choice.
    I can understand why few people are going to share my view, im a massive combat junkie at heart and have extremely simplistic tastes when it comes to things like this, so im probably not going to recognize or appreciate the subtle details that set good films apart from bad ones.

As hard as it may be to believe (or maybe not, seeing how im so one dimensional), I didn't overly like the original trilogy and actually enjoyed the newer films, not only because there was a much greater emphasis on the combat scenes but because they just "felt" more real to me. Much better graphics, more convincing acting and dialogue and a political and moral dimension rather than the clichéd good vs bad dynamic that was present in the original trilogy. The Force awakens and the last jedi have personally felt more similar in style to the original trilogy to me, and for that reason they just aren't entertaining.

Like I said though, im very simple minded about these sorts of things, so I completely understand why you and the majority of people wont side with my opinion about the film

I can understand why few people are going to share my view, im a massive combat junkie at heart and have extremely simplistic tastes when it comes to things like this, so im probably not going to recognize or appreciate the subtle details that set good films apart from bad ones.

As hard as it may be to believe (or maybe not, seeing how im so one dimensional), I didn't overly like the original trilogy and actually enjoyed the newer films, not only because there was a much greater emphasis on the combat scenes but because they just "felt" more real to me. Much better graphics, more convincing acting and dialogue and a political and moral dimension rather than the clichéd good vs bad dynamic that was present in the original trilogy. The Force awakens and the last jedi have personally felt more similar in style to the original trilogy to me, and for that reason they just aren't entertaining.

Like I said though, im very simple minded about these sorts of things, so I completely understand why you and the majority of people wont side with my opinion about the film
    Understood. Seems we are diametrically opposed in this and that there won't be any way to reconcile that. Everything you liked and said about the Prequels is something I would disagree with wholeheartedly. But it's certainly true that the new series is a heck of a lot closer to the original trilogy than we've seen since....the trilogy. So in that way, people who are looking for more of the action (as seen in Episode III) or anything else in that style as opposed to the characters or something closer to the prequels are out of luck with this and likely the next one.
    http://www.millenniumforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic461_1.gif

I enjoyed the movie but its flaws are apparent.

it was essentially 2 movies that maybe slightly converged at the end. the canto bight episode could've been avoided(aka the reason they got DJ and he told the first order of the evacuation ships)

Luke and way he was handled was... pretty good.

Luke trying to kill kylo though, that shit made me mad.

but his scene with yoda, and the end fight, and even the death(although it was cheap they didn't tell him) were good.

it was neat kylo said to ren

"It feels like you're really here.... No, that would kill you. This is something else"

final act Luke does what Kylo referenced.

Thanks to Cake~

Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    You were made to be a TMF poster. You have the right temperament and can exchange insults with anyone. I know the majority of the site hates your entrails, but that just makes you more of a Temeffian to me.

That Snoke death was the most satisfying scene in the entire movie.

The movie was meh

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by VICE View Post
    I enjoyed the movie but its flaws are apparent.

it was essentially 2 movies that maybe slightly converged at the end. the canto bight episode could've been avoided(aka the reason they got DJ and he told the first order of the evacuation ships)

Luke and way he was handled was... pretty good.

Luke trying to kill kylo though, that shit made me mad.

but his scene with yoda, and the end fight, and even the death(although it was cheap they didn't tell him) were good.

it was neat kylo said to ren

"It feels like you're really here.... No, that would kill you. This is something else"

final act Luke does what Kylo referenced.

Rose is the worst character I've ever seen in Star Wars

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rax, The Spooky Hero View Post
    Rose is the worst character I've ever seen in Star Wars
    I don't care for your hyperboles.

Thanks to Cake~

You were made to be a TMF poster. You have the right temperament and can exchange insults with anyone. I know the majority of the site hates your entrails, but that just makes you more of a Temeffian to me.

Quote Originally Posted by VICE View Post
    I don't care for your hyperboles.

Her entire adventure was pointless.

She was like "Well, at least we messed up that gambling town" when the reality of what was happening for them was they didn't accomplish anything they went there to do, somehow managed to be inside of the same cell as a guy who can conveniently break them out and get them past the ship shields and what not who never even got a name. She was acting like the events on that gambling town were somehow more crucial than actually doing what they were supposed to do.

Further more she decided to ruin Finn's heroic sacrifice by ramming her ship into his which would've killed them both and still lead the First Order's cannon to break through the barrier anyway and risk the lives of everyone inside.

You can subtract the entire adventure between Finn and Rose and the movie would be exactly the same.

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Her entire adventure was pointless.

She was like "Well, at least we messed up that gambling town" when the reality of what was happening for them was they didn't accomplish anything they went there to do, somehow managed to be inside of the same cell as a guy who can conveniently break them out and get them past the ship shields and what not who never even got a name. She was acting like the events on that gambling town were somehow more crucial than actually doing what they were supposed to do.

Further more she decided to ruin Finn's heroic sacrifice by ramming her ship into his which would've killed them both and still lead the First Order's cannon to break through the barrier anyway and risk the lives of everyone inside.

You can subtract the entire adventure between Finn and Rose and the movie would be exactly the same.

Yeah I would blame them being on canto bight to Maz saying they needed to be there, and the vice admiral not telling Poe she had a plan. Finn and Rose were just trying to fulfill the plan and got caught. Rose didn't do anything to deserve this malice really, she was just in a storyline people thought was drawn out and I agree, but other than that there's not much else to it. The vice admiral is more worse in comparison. She was redeemed by that kamikaze attack of course but she caused unnecessary drama and indirectly the whole canto bight trip.

Now, rose saving Finn was bad how? They were doomed regardless of whether Finn would destroy the laser. And really, a ship like that probably wouldn't have stopped it. No one got killed, and none of them were going to be killed, we know this. So her saving Finn was in character and wouldn't have made sense if they killed Finn.

Thanks to Cake~

The Kamikaze thing coulda just been done in the first 20m of the movie

And no. Finn would've sacrificed himself to stop the cannon. Rose tried to stop it by doing something that could've potentially killed them anyway

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

The Kamikaze thing coulda just been done in the first 20m of the movie

And no. Finn would've sacrificed himself to stop the cannon. Rose tried to stop it by doing something that could've potentially killed them anyway
    Glad you're not writing anything worth it.

You keep a kamikaze attack(effective) until the act 3 of the movie. 20 minutes? Again with the hyperboles. Just stop.

Now both of them are alive. She saved Him, from suicide. I'm pretty sure that used to meant something. Even Poe grew out of "Only the outcome matters, our lives don't"- type of thinking. They did too. They'll keep saving each other.

Thanks to Cake~

It was something they coulda done the entire time.

THe woman also coulda just told the Hispanic dude her plan and save that entire mutiny shit that occurred.

They also had Leia have the force for a single scene in the entire movie

Rose was fully willing to risk the death of not only the rest of the Resistance, but potentially her life and Finn's anyway by crashing her speeder into his. They could've just as easily died in the crash but otherwise if she didn't only Finn would've died and the canon wouldn't have been able to pierce the door.

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!