"Man" superheroes

What do you guy think of superheroes with names like *insertnoun man (i.e Superman, Batman, Ironman, Spiderman etc.)? Do you guys think it's lazy or does it have a certain vibe/meaning/is iconic? Who rocks the "man" title the best and why? How about the worst?

What other superhero names could fit these "man" superheroes instead?
    All Hail Aldo Jones

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you guy think of superheroes with names like *insertnoun man (i.e Superman, Batman, Ironman, Spiderman etc.)? Do you guys think it's lazy or does it have a certain vibe/meaning/is iconic? Who rocks the "man" title the best and why? How about the worst?

What other superhero names could fit these "man" superheroes instead?
    Someone's been reading Marvel Team Up.

I don't actually mind it, but it might just be due to historical relevance to the naming convention. I also am not a huge fan of single word superhero names to be perfectly honest. Probably because I've always seen superhero names as titles and not just like... names, I guess. On the other hand, sometimes it's pretty stupid and can easily be used to show the cheesiest and dumbest parts of superhero culture. For example, the Legion of Superheroes once upon a time (and sometimes still) requires every applicant to have this as part of their name. Lad, Lass, Man, Woman, Boy, Girl, etc. This results in characters like Matter Eater Lad or Bouncing Boy or Duplicate Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Someone's been reading Marvel Team Up.

I don't actually mind it, but it might just be due to historical relevance to the naming convention. I also am not a huge fan of single word superhero names to be perfectly honest. Probably because I've always seen superhero names as titles and not just like... names, I guess. On the other hand, sometimes it's pretty stupid and can easily be used to show the cheesiest and dumbest parts of superhero culture. For example, the Legion of Superheroes once upon a time (and sometimes still) requires every applicant to have this as part of their name. Lad, Lass, Man, Woman, Boy, Girl, etc. This results in characters like Matter Eater Lad or Bouncing Boy or Duplicate Girl.

you serious? that's terrible

Do you think Man of Steel would be a suitable permanent replacement for Supes? It sounds cool as a stand alone but I think it might be a tad too cheesy to use in real conversation.
    All Hail Aldo Jones

you serious? that's terrible

Do you think Man of Steel would be a suitable permanent replacement for Supes? It sounds cool as a stand alone but I think it might be a tad too cheesy to use in real conversation.
    A big part of earlier superheroes would've named him Captain Steel or something similar if not Superman since early names were meant to inspire specific blunt ideas and feelings. Names like "Superman" were meant to immediately allow the reader to know the character was above and beyond, "Batman" was always meant to have a scary angle, "Wonder Woman" was meant to give a more smooth but equally optimistic feelings Superman gave off. The whole "Man of Steel," pulls from the wrestling roots of early superhero comics where you'd find someone like, "The Grand Bonzo: Man of Mysterious Might!"

Truthfully, Superman couldn't really have a different name without losing a tremendous amount of his impact. It would be similar to Captain America when he became "Nomad," or "Super Soldier." It just really loses a lot of the "pow" the character has. It's why superheroes are so easy to make fun of by giving them silly "[Insert word]-Man/Woman," because names are just that important to a character.

I don't mind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    A big part of earlier superheroes would've named him Captain Steel or something similar if not Superman since early names were meant to inspire specific blunt ideas and feelings. Names like "Superman" were meant to immediately allow the reader to know the character was above and beyond, "Batman" was always meant to have a scary angle, "Wonder Woman" was meant to give a more smooth but equally optimistic feelings Superman gave off. The whole "Man of Steel," pulls from the wrestling roots of early superhero comics where you'd find someone like, "The Grand Bonzo: Man of Mysterious Might!"

Truthfully, Superman couldn't really have a different name without losing a tremendous amount of his impact. It would be similar to Captain America when he became "Nomad," or "Super Soldier." It just really loses a lot of the "pow" the character has. It's why superheroes are so easy to make fun of by giving them silly "[Insert word]-Man/Woman," because names are just that important to a character.
    I see, that makes sense. I would say Iron Man is iconic and such almost on that level in my eyes but seeing as how Stark's armor isn't really strictly iron nor have I seen him display incredible displays of stamina and such with or without his armor, he might be an exception no? Or perhaps he's "iron" in his determination or ... stubborness.

Was "Captain Deadpool" ever a thing in the comics or was it something Ryan Reynolds made up in the movie?
    All Hail Aldo Jones

I see, that makes sense. I would say Iron Man is iconic and such almost on that level in my eyes but seeing as how Stark's armor isn't really strictly iron nor have I seen him display incredible displays of stamina and such with or without his armor, he might be an exception no? Or perhaps he's "iron" in his determination or ... stubborness.

Was "Captain Deadpool" ever a thing in the comics or was it something Ryan Reynolds made up in the movie?
    Iron Man was more or less just what Stan Lee, Lieber, Heck, and Kirby thought sounded cool how his first armor sort of looked and was made of scrap iron parts and how it sort of looked like a man made of iron. He kept the name because it sounded strong and... Well, because it sounded cooler than Steel Man, or Unobtanium Man since the suit is really made of a bunch of made-up materials held together by magnetism and other forcefields. It could just be due to historical usage, but Iron Man has a more heroic ring to it unlike Titanium Man or Cobalt Man. I couldn't imagine Stark going by another hero name at all. Even Mainframe of M2 is sometimes just called Iron Man or Iron Man 2.

Though, Stark actually is a pretty fit guy who regularly has had to operate outside of the armor and defend himself when vulnerable and out of sight of his "bodyguard." Also, his stamina is through the roof since he can thoroughly satisfy 25 models a night. Every night. Stark was comic's original Mr. Steal yo' Girl. And while that's not actually true, since that honor would more likely fall to Superman, Stark has been well regarded for his... stamina and endurance to take a man's wife for a night or so. Or his secretary and his professional adversary who hate each other back to back

Stark is a slut. There's really no better way to put it. Dude fucks anything that even slightly resembles a hole. :kanye

More seriously, he definitely had a lot of endurance, super strength, all that jazz when he was bonded to the Extremis Virus. This Virus made Iron Man a part of Stark inside and out while giving him a healing factor, increased intelligence, and... wifi. He had the ability to wirelessly hack or use the internet and stuff like that. One time took over a closed circuit television system in a prison and then just summoned his armor wirelessly. No more watch for that anymore I guess. Originally, it would store the inner sheathe of the Iron Man suit within the hollows of his bones and assemble out while the outer plates of his armor would assemble to him. Later on, he would just store the entirety of the suit within his body so it's always just there.

Captain Deadpool, Corporal Deadpool, and other "army title" Deadpools have shown up in alternate continuities, but Deadpool has never actually gone by that in the 616. Though Wade has (maybe) been part of the US Special Forces, so he's probably held a title like Sergeant. But this would've been prior to him becoming Deadpool.

Batman
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    Fair enough

I accept

2 week avatar bet
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Yeah,sure..
    Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    alright

I'm cool with it, but maybe I've simply gotten used to these names. If a new superhero was introduced with a man title, I might be more sceptical.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    I'm cool with it, but maybe I've simply gotten used to these names. If a new superhero was introduced with a man title, I might be more sceptical.
    This may be the most accurate representation of how superhero names have operated over the years and have been grandfathered in to modern comic storytelling.

For a long time (since around the 80's), there has been a big push to the "mononame" system of superheroes. And as time has gone on, the "two name" or "man" system is seen as a direct retro style that's really not in as much use. When a character with a two name shows up, his or her chances of being something of a near parody character is pretty high, and if the second name is "man" or "woman," then the character is going to be a cheesy parody of earlier caped superheroes.